GN'R should start over for the next album

31illusions

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be extremely upset if we didn't get at least one more album of material from the '97-'07 sessions. A lot of time and effort was put into those songs and I would feel cheated as a fan if after waiting all this time, the stuff was never released. I would be shocked if this course of action was even considered.

Also, if they started over right now, what's the soonest we would get a new album? 2017? I mean, what reason would we have to believe that GNR could start and finish an album, from scratch, in less than 5 years? I'd rather hear whatever it is that we were intended to hear before Robin left, even if it means that some of Robin's parts are reworked by DJ.

Agreed, I would say chances are we will get the '97-'07 sessions album next. I wouldn't be surprised if DJ took over Robin on a few of the songs like Ron did with Bucket though.

I really hope they kept some of Bucket's parts intact.

If there are so many leftovers from CD then they should release them first. Maybe a mixture of older and brand new stuff.

Judging by the amount of material that was said to be recorded they should be able to release at least 2 albums without hitting the studio again.

I really wonder what keeps them from doing so. Contract isses ?

Edited by Meanmachine22

GN'R should start over. They got DJ now and he's a really good guitarist. They seem more like a team now.

I'm not interested in a new CD of 12 year old songs. I think the new guys creating a new album would be better.

What? Are you fucking insane?

GN'R should start over. They got DJ now and he's a really good guitarist. They seem more like a team now.

I'm not interested in a new CD of 12 year old songs. I think the new guys creating a new album would be better.

Lolllll whatttttt!?!??!?!?

Yeah, just forget whatever Axl, Dizzy, Tommy and Chris wrote. Let's throw it all away and start over with Chris Angel on lead guitar.

Yeh let's just wait another 10 years for the basic rhythm sections to be put down and another 3 years for leads, sub bass, synth, backing vocals and reverse pianos!

What? DJ is a great guitar player man don't deny him that...you can criticize a lot of shit but he can play the AX like it's nobody's business.

Sorry champ, but the dude cannot even replicate Robin's TIL solo, and even Robin was not a 'really good' guitarist. Bucket, Bumble, Fortus, yes they are really good guitarists. DJ? No. Not in my opinion.

What? DJ is a great guitar player man don't deny him that...you can criticize a lot of shit but he can play the AX like it's nobody's business.

Sorry champ, but the dude cannot even replicate Robin's TIL solo, and even Robin was not a 'really good' guitarist. Bucket, Bumble, Fortus, yes they are really good guitarists. DJ? No. Not in my opinion.

Replicating an extremely sloppy player is no easy task. I'm not a DJ fan, but his playing is light years ahead of Finck.

Replicating an extremely sloppy player is no easy task. I'm not a DJ fan, but his playing is light years ahead of Finck.

Ummm many bedroom guitar players can replicate the TIL solo quite easily. So a bedroom player can replicate a sloppy player but a professional musician can't??

Van Halen's new album is 30 year old songs, so 12 year old songs isn't that bad in comparison. ;)

For me though, I do agree with the topic starter in a sense. I do want this line-up to make an original album to prove themselves as a band. Releasing an album of Chinese Democracy sessions, even if re-worked, still gives room for the "cover band" argument and "this line-up has yet to do their own material" kind of thing. The ideal scenario would be to do a completely new album with the current line-up while releasing either a two disc set or mini box set called "The Chinese Democracy Sessions" or something to get the rest of the Robin/Buckethead material out there. Then everybody would be happy and we'd have tons of new songs.

As someone suggested, the Robin/Buckethead material could be released while the recording of a brand new album is going on as a way of bridging the gap between albums (kind of like how Lies worked between Appetite and the Illusions). If there needs to be significant downtime to record the new album then at least we'd have new music and something to discuss in the meantime. With Facebook and the new website, the band could keep us updated on studio progress too.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

Van Halen's new album is 30 year old songs, so 12 year old songs isn't that bad in comparison. ;)

For me though, I do agree with the topic starter in a sense. I do want this line-up to make an original album to prove themselves as a band. Releasing an album of Chinese Democracy sessions, even if re-worked, still gives room for the "cover band" argument and "this line-up has yet to do their own material" kind of thing. The ideal scenario would be to do a completely new album with the current line-up while releasing either a two disc set or mini box set called "The Chinese Democracy Sessions" or something to get the rest of the Robin/Buckethead material out there. Then everybody would be happy and we'd have tons of new songs.

As someone suggested, the Robin/Buckethead material could be released while the recording of a brand new album is going on as a way of bridging the gap between albums (kind of like how Lies worked between Appetite and the Illusions). If there needs to be significant downtime to record the new album then at least we'd have new music and something to discuss in the meantime. With Facebook and the new website, the band could keep us updated on studio progress too.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

you're definitely dreaming, but that would be an ideal scenario IMO

I mean, what reason would we have to believe that GNR could start and finish an album, from scratch, in less than 5 years?

Because it's what normal people/bands do. If Axl feels like doing it, he'll work things out with the label and in six months (maybe less?) everything should be done musically.

Also why, *WHY* in the world would Axl release older stuff first? It'd be disrespectful to the "new" guys - Rich, Ron, Frank and Dj. Tommy mentioned that he *wants* to write stuff this year and that they have a really good band to record a new album. The new guys want to write and release new stuff, Tommy apparently wants the same and possibly the other guys, so there's not one good argument as to why the older songs should be released first. They certainly will be out eventually. For now, let the boys do their job.

I mean, what reason would we have to believe that GNR could start and finish an album, from scratch, in less than 5 years?

Because it's what normal people/bands do. If Axl feels like doing it, he'll work things out with the label and in six months (maybe less?) everything should be done musically.

Also why, *WHY* in the world would Axl release older stuff first? It'd be disrespectful to the "new" guys - Rich, Ron, Frank and Dj. Tommy mentioned that he *wants* to write stuff this year and that they have a really good band to record a new album. The new guys want to write and release new stuff, Tommy apparently wants the same and possibly the other guys, so there's not one good argument as to why the older songs should be released first. They certainly will be out eventually. For now, let the boys do their job.

What are you talking about? The older stuff is *almost* ready, why would they need to start over from scratch first?

Also, again, there's other members on the band with songs already written. Tommy, Chris, Dizzy and Axl himself spent years creating songs, it isnt fair to just scrap it because the guitar players were replaced. That doesn't mean they don't want to go again with the "writing mode", I'm just talking about what should be released first.

If they decide to record new material and scrap old one it means there's nothing special in the voult

If they start to record new album now issue date 2020 would be very optimistic

So all in all I think our only hope for a new music soon is that Axl will release Bucket/Brain/Fink stuff

And let's hope he won't be perfecting details too long