Andy Wangs take on Axl

Carlos Castaneda

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl isn't really a recluse anymore. When he isn't touring, he has been spotted a few times in public, done a few interviews, etc. But he was very much a recluse for a good part of his life, like 94-2000 or something, I think there were like, less than 5 sightings...one was that time he got arrested in Phoenix. It's not just staying out of the limelight and flying under the radar when even your friends haven't heard from you in months, which was the case. I am glad that he has come around now and feels comfortable enough to be in the public eye again. People like him are scrutinized like crazy, so it's kind of easy to see why they would turn into hermits.

By recluse, I assume they mean in comparison to how outgoing he was earlier. He's not a dictionary definition recluse, but he's reclusive to the media. That's their perception.

He's not a real recluse haha.

Anyway, I don't see why it would be an insult or anything. If anything, it proves he's not an attention whore.

Axl Rose wasn't a recluse so what the fuck are they talking about? :lol: Celebrities and their fans have this thing where like, if someones famous and they don't have a camera stuck in their arse 24/7 it makes them a recluse. It's like all them celebrities go "oh no, i can't escape my fame, i can't escape my fame" but the fact is you can, very easily, all you've got to do is not court it, many, like Axl, have done it and when they do they're called reclusive but i don't think it really qualifies. Johnny Depp is a good example of someone that, when he wants to be about town, he's about town and when he don't you don't see him but that don't mean he's at home with the doors barricaded.

Same with loads and loads of hugely famous people.

Yes,the ones that want to be seen know where to go,same with those that don't need the constant spotlight.

It is possible to fly under the radar.

Johnny Depp has been sighted at my local supermarket. He lives in the town next to mine

And then Axl went to a golden globe party and mingled, suddenly destroying your premise forever that he was some kind of recluse.

It wasnt my premise. Dude you have a fucking heart of doom. Who fucked you up popcorn? You should share with the group . Iam positive your story would be a tale for the ages, but alas, grow up.

Dude it's not all about you. My post was spoken in general. I did read the topic title after all.

You're just mad Axl went to read comic books in public a few weeks ago, and there's photographic evidence of it.

Now if you had a real pair, you wouldn't post under an alt account. Oh I get it, you were banned... for spam I'm guessing?

Hi, my name is popcorn and I read andy wang's spam on mygnr.

And then Axl went to a golden globe party and mingled, suddenly destroying your premise forever that he was some kind of recluse.

It wasnt my premise. Dude you have a fucking heart of doom. Who fucked you up popcorn? You should share with the group . Iam positive your story would be a tale for the ages, but alas, grow up.

Dude it's not all about you. My post was spoken in general. I did read the topic title after all.

You're just mad Axl went to read comic books in public a few weeks ago, and there's photographic evidence of it.

Now if you had a real pair, you wouldn't post under an alt account. Oh I get it, you were banned... for spam I'm guessing?

:lol: priceless popcorn,keep on slaughtering the terminally stupid insignificunts :thumbsup:

otr

:lol: priceless popcorn,keep on slaughtering the terminally stupid insignificunts :thumbsup:

Slaughtered? Sure. The terminally stupid insignificunts, is that a self portrait of you? Thumbs up? What the fuck ever. The thing that stuck out to me in the quote was "singularly extraordinary". It was the SOLE reason I posted the quote, but not a single person on here even pointed it out. No, it was dick references and people harping on about the word recluse, which personally I have never used to describe Axl. Mad because Axl read a comic book in public? Who would get angry over that? Oh yeah, you. Someone who finds a reason to wake up pissed. And popcorn, my computer crashed and I lost my last password, so that is the reason why I have a new name. I dont even know what spamming this forum would entail. As far as a having a pair of balls, this is an internet forum and requires absolutly no courage to come here and say anything, which you prove with every post. I know you are one of those misguided Axl wannabes, so save your little petty rants for someone else man. I come here for one reason , because I believe Axl is singularly extraordinary , but that can rarely be shared here because this place is a cesspool of bad energies. No wonder Axl wanted this fucking place razed.

Slaughtered? Sure. The terminally stupid insignificunts, is that a self portrait of you? Thumbs up? What the fuck ever. The thing that stuck out to me in the quote was "singularly extraordinary". It was the SOLE reason I posted the quote, but not a single person on here even pointed it out. No, it was dick references and people harping on about the word recluse, which personally I have never used to describe Axl. Mad because Axl read a comic book in public? Who would get angry over that? Oh yeah, you. Someone who finds a reason to wake up pissed. And popcorn, my computer crashed and I lost my last password, so that is the reason why I have a new name. I dont even know what spamming this forum would entail. As far as a having a pair of balls, this is an internet forum and requires absolutly no courage to come here and say anything, which you prove with every post. I know you are one of those misguided Axl wannabes, so save your little petty rants for someone else man. I come here for one reason , because I believe Axl is singularly extraordinary , but that can rarely be shared here because this place is a cesspool of bad energies. No wonder Axl wanted this fucking place razed.

Don't fuck with me, buddy. Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...but I'm going to tell you right now, I want that gold medal more than you do.

Your computer crashed and you lost your password? So... you depend on your browser to remember your passwords for you? And why did your computer crash? Did you click on something you shouldn't have? You know... they say there's an inverse correlation between how much malware you get on your computer and how smart you are.

In any event, coupla things:

It made me happy to see Axl reading comic books a few weeks ago.

I get it now: you need to grow a sense of humor, not a pair of e-balls. I thought you mighta had a sense of humor, what with your topic title n all.

I'm not an Axl wannabe, I'm Axl's internet messageboard PR guy. Like I said, don't fuck with me.

Now.. as far as your accusations of petty rants... what does your quoted post above count as? Not a petty rant? lmao

And finally, I apologize for making you so disgruntled. No really. But I must ask... what was your previous screen name on here?

Don't fuck with me, buddy. Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...but I'm going to tell you right now, I want that gold medal more than you do.

Your computer crashed and you lost your password? So... you depend on your browser to remember your passwords for you? And why did your computer crash? Did you click on something you shouldn't have? You know... they say there's an inverse correlation between how much malware you get on your computer and how smart you are.

I get it now: you need to grow a sense of humor, not a pair of e-balls. I thought you mighta had a sense of humor, what with your topic title n all.

I'm not an Axl wannabe, I'm Axl's internet messageboard PR guy. Like I said, don't fuck with me.

Now.. as far as your accusations of petty rants... what does your quoted post above count as? Not a petty rant? lmao

And finally, I apologize for making you so disgruntled. No really. But I must ask... what was your previous screen name on here?

Brilliant,effective and hilarious, you may have just stunted it's growth delegating this screename-forgetful-alzheimer into full blown anchodroplasic mental dwarfism.

U2byU2 and before that Hank Moody

In addition to BBA,Incognito and Madison?

I have always get accused of being BBA. I was recetly told that stands for bring back adler. I have no love Adler. Axl summed up my feelings for Madison , but there still remains a seedy elemment to this place. It cannot be purged.

Axl Rose wasn't a recluse so what the fuck are they talking about? :lol: Celebrities and their fans have this thing where like, if someones famous and they don't have a camera stuck in their arse 24/7 it makes them a recluse. It's like all them celebrities go "oh no, i can't escape my fame, i can't escape my fame" but the fact is you can, very easily, all you've got to do is not court it, many, like Axl, have done it and when they do they're called reclusive but i don't think it really qualifies. Johnny Depp is a good example of someone that, when he wants to be about town, he's about town and when he don't you don't see him but that don't mean he's at home with the doors barricaded.

Same with loads and loads of hugely famous people.

Yes,the ones that want to be seen know where to go,same with those that don't need the constant spotlight.

It is possible to fly under the radar.

Johnny Depp has been sighted at my local supermarket. He lives in the town next to mine

I know at one of the Comic Cons in San Diego, Johnny Depp was lurking around artists alley on his own and talked to the artists, but Megan Fox needed an army of security.

o

I have always get accused of being BBA. I was recetly told that stands for bring back adler. I have no love Adler. Axl summed up my feelings for Madison , but there still remains a seedy elemment to this place. It cannot be purged.

Your typing style does resemble BBA's,just an observance.

o

Your typing style does resemble BBA's,just an observance.

It must man, because you are the 12th person here who has stated that. I have even recieved Pm's welcoming him back. Anybody who believes Adler is a muscian worth paying attention is not a person I would be comfortable being confused with. Here is the whole article.

I’ve been plowing through a book with such an interesting concept, I’ve considered adopting something similar on this blog (I won’t): Kill Your Idols: A New Generation of Rock Writers Reconsiders the Classics is essentially a collection of negative reviews on popular rock albums. Most of the Western world’s famous works are in here, from the Who’s Tommy, to Nirvana’s Nevermind. While even editor Jim DeRogatis admits it’s a bit like a bratty teenager spitting on a blackboard in anger at the woe that is his life (and more than once slams the Baby Boomer generation in what seems like cheap shots), it’s also fun, particularly if the album in question is one you’ve always wanted to verbally piss on yourself.

One such essay is Andy Wang’s take on The MC5′s Kick Out the Jams. I flipped to the back to read his top ten albums first, which includes Guns N’ Roses, Pet Shop Boys, Social Distortion and Jewel, a type of variety that’s both rare and charming. Furthermore, a lot of the essays make really weird, wonderful comparisons (Beach Boys to Depeche Mode, Brian Wilson to David Lee Roth), but Wang pushes the envelope.

There’s a reason why geniuses like J.D. Salinger and Axl Rose turned into recluses. It’s not that they couldn’t deal with the pressures of fame. It’s that they were singularly extraordinary, and they quickly realized that the rest of the world is stupid. (Wang, 51)

Did you catch that? Wang just compared Axl Rose to J.D. Salinger. Both of them suffer from the agonizing stress of being brighter than everyone they’ve never met. It seems Wang is genuinely invested in believing Axl Rose is one of the smartest men alive, after all, his number one album of all time is Appetite for Destruction. OK, so Appetite is a great album, I’ll agree with that; I appreciate its place in the music-space continuum and even agree it can (and does) rock, sometimes with no logical explanation. But is Axl Rose really in the same league as someone who wrote Franny & Zooey?

I won’t bother to claim I’m an expert on any of these things, but it’s rather suspect to claim Axl Rose was a veritable genius, particularly when Wang goes on to praise Eminem in one of the only parallels I can get behind: Eminem is a misogynistic wife-beater (“Sit down bitch, you move again I’ll beat the shit out of you!“), Rose hates immigrants, homosexuals, and black people (“Immigrants and persons / They make no sense to me“). Maybe they should collab? But for what is essentially two angry white boys on an extended rant, this is not the first time I’ve now heard them both referred to as smarter than the average bear. Just what exactly is the science behind taste and will there ever be a universal standard (I hope not, that would make things pretty boring)? Also, J.D. Salinger is the type of guy who has become a hero to the disenfranchised, emotional high schooler, yet constantly peppers his tales with themes of religion, God, and Eastern mysticism. Eminem and Rose welcome listeners to the mean streets of Detroit and the jungle (a.k.a., the mean streets of L.A.). I’m not one to pigeon-hole (I’m fully aware of the other “masterpieces” created by said artists), but clearly, I am missing something here.

I have no doubt that all three in question probably believe they are simply phenomenal human beings of intellect and wisdom (when I think Axl Rose, I do not think “humility”), but what’s more accurate: the way you conceive yourself, or the way others conceive you? Are Axl Rose and Eminen genuine masters of the craft (musically; I won’t get into Rose’s approval of a music video where a man becomes so distraught at rainfall, he dives into a wedding cake)? If not, what makes a musical genius? Should one or two controversial works have the power to shatter a lifetime of achievement? And if Rose is so smart, how come he can’t sport a flattering hair style?