Guns N Roses to rehearse new songs from the upcoming album

Guest Gunns

Guns N'Roses surprise return likely to kick off Europe tour

1224310869204_1.jpg?ts=1327751722

RONAN McGREEVY

GUNS N’ROSES are to rehearse in Ireland before their forthcoming European tour, MCD promoter Denis Desmond has said.

The band announced a somewhat surprise concert at the O2 in Dublin for May following on from their disastrous performance at the same venue two years ago when singer Axl Rose (pictured) walked off stage and thousands of fans left the arena.

Their O2 concert on May 17th is anticipated to be the first of a series of shows the band will perform across Europe this summer.

It will take place almost 20 years to the day after their headline concert at Slane Castle in 1992.

Desmond said the request to play in Ireland came from Rose himself because the singer felt they had “unfinished business”with their Irish fans.

“We want to keep it simple. The thing is that it is a great show. He [Axl Rose] wants to come back.

“It was his request. The easiest thing for him to do would be to go ‘Oh I’m never coming back again after what happened’ but he wants to come back.”

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

Guns N’Roses will play the O2 in the full realisation that if they do not finish their set, they will not be allowed to leave the building as happened the last time they played.

The band walked off stage at their previous Irish concert after fans, who were agitated by their late arrival on stage, ignored a warning from Rose not to throw bottles on stage.

After a fan threw a water bottle during the intro to the second song Welcome to the Jungle, the singer announced: “Here’s the deal, one more bottle, we go home. We want to stay.

“If you don’t want to have fun just let us know. We’ll be on our way.”

Three songs later, another object was hurled onstage. Rose said goodnight, the group stopped the show and left the stage at 10.50pm to a cacophony of boos and cat-whistles.

Desmond appeared on stage and told the crowd he was endeavouring to get the band back on stage. He pleaded with them to refrain from throwing things up on stage.

Security refused to allow the band to leave the arena and they came back on stage at 11.10pm and finished a set which only concluded at 12.53am to a half empty arena.

Desmond cautioned that Guns N’Roses fans had to make allowances for the band’s habitual lateness coming on stage, but he did not anticipate a repeat of what happened at the O2 in September 2010.

“It was a one-off. Lightning doesn’t strike twice,” he said.

Axl Rose is the only surviving member of the original Guns'N’Roses line-up while keyboard player Dizzy Reed played at Slane Castle on the Use Your Illusions tour.

The original band members will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April leading to huge anticipation among their fans that they will put their well-documented differences behind them and reunite on stage for that event.

Source - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0128/1224310869204.html?via=mr

Edited by gunns5

Desmond said the request to play in Ireland came from Rose himself because the singer felt they had “unfinished business”with their Irish fans.

I like this part. Shows Axl cares about making it up to fans.

Let's hope "rehearse" translates into playing the songs live for fans instead of just jamming them before a show though.

Kinda worried that the new songs part wasnt a quote - maybe Desmond could have said that, but asked to not quote him on that. Or maybe it was just the writer's assumption.

everything in the land of gnr is cryptic and never certain...

However as youngun pointed out, Axl is coming back and is planning on making up for what transpired last time.

Kinda worried that the new songs part wasnt a quote - maybe Desmond could have said that, but asked to not quote him on that. Or maybe it was just the writer's assumption.

However as youngun pointed out, Axl is coming back and is planning on making up for what transpired last time.

I'm happy that there was not even a 6 month hiatus between tours like the last few go arounds. Wheels are turning it seems, even if it's not for new material, at least Axl seems content to tour.

I'm happy that there was not even a 6 month hiatus between tours like the last few go arounds. Wheels are turning it seems, even if it's not for new material, at least Axl seems content to tour.

It seems Beta and team are doing a great job so far, January ain't even over and news is a dropping left right an centre

Edited by gunns5

When it comes to Axl Rose I take it has hot air.

The whole statement read like if's and but's..

Between now and a new album, really anything could happen.

If and when a new album does show, if Buckethead, Brain, and Robin's material isn't on it, there will be moaning..

It will be interesting to see if the Irish show up. Maybe they should offer free tickets to all those that picked up tickets to the show where Axl walked off.

Edited by vaida

Maybe they should offer free tickets to all thos that picking up tickets to the show where Axl walked off.

That would actually be a grand gesture but how would they qualify/verify who was there? Alot of people don't keep their tickets, I certainly don't...

I think Axl is somewhat willing to move forward.

I know better then to get excited over anything that is not concrete, but the general feeling is positive, and like someone said, at least it's not total silence and breaks between tour dates with no information at all.

It's also cool that Axl wants to fix what happened in Ireland.

Edited by Rovim

It seems Beta and team are doing a great job so far, January ain't even over and news is a dropping left right an centre

It is a promising start to 2012 hopefully new music and a tour of Europe then Australia :D

A couple of problems....

1. This is not an Axl quote

2. This is an obvious attempt to sell tickets to a show

That won't sell many tickets.

3. Several of the bigger shows last year were supposed to have BIG surprises.

4. Even band members hint at stuff that dosnt seem to happen.

5. Axl doesn't reherse with the band anyways.

I love this band but I'm not optimistic about new music and won't be until I hear a song live or a new record is in the store.

Edited by The Wicked Hand

They're going to use the time in Ireland to have fun. If they were working on new songs, they'd have done it around the time most of them were at NAMM and drop hints about heading off to the studio. It sounds like Axl is working on songs, but not his primary focus in life right now.

This past tour was about settling with Azoff, this tour is about making it up for a gig gone wrong, and enjoying Europe, depending on how many shows they book. If the live band is firing on all cylinders, why take them off the road for a long period of time? Plus after the induction, there will be more interest to see them.

I like this part. Shows Axl cares about making it up to fans.

Let's hope "rehearse" translates into playing the songs live for fans instead of just jamming them before a show though.

I like this too. It seems like Axl is in a really good place with himself right now.

1224310869204_1.jpg?ts=1327751722

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete.

"rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy" - NOT FOR THE SHOW

Source - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0128/1224310869204.html?via=mr