Beyond Magnetic

volcano62

I was on the Metallica website which is fuckin' awesome for dowloading songs and videos. They have something called "Beyond Magnetic" which are left over tracks from their album Death Magnetic.

After hearing the tracks it is clear why they didn't make it on the album. But that's not the point. This would be an awesome route for GNR to get unreleaed CD era material out there and start working on a fresh album.

I'm sure fans would appreciate the gesture immensely

Edited by volcano62

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said the best way to put out the other unreleased CD Era tracks would be to re-release Chinese Democracy as a double album, correct cover and booklet art in tow. :thumbsup:

This would also prevent people from bitching about Bucket, Brain & Robin's inclusion on the unreleased tracks.

Edited by sofine11

Except... it's clear the next album will be a mixture of other songs from the CD sessions and a couple of songs that Axl/Ashba et al wrote recently.

People have gotta get over this, yeah just release it all, and move on with a completely fresh album. It won't happen. Axl spent years creating these songs, you really think he's just gonna go "fuck it, release it all as extras and B sides"? Hell no.

Except... it's clear the next album will be a mixture of other songs from the CD sessions and a couple of songs that Axl/Ashba et al wrote recently.

People have gotta get over this, yeah just release it all, and move on with a completely fresh album. It won't happen. Axl spent years creating these songs, you really think he's just gonna go "fuck it, release it all as extras and B sides"? Hell no.

I hear what you're saying, but these songs are 10+ years old. Their imminent release could hardly be considered "rushed".

I get they're his songs, but honestly, he really needs to stop pulling his dick with them and let fans have a listen already.

Good point

I've always said the best way to put out the other unreleased CD Era tracks would be to re-release Chinese Democracy as a double album, correct cover and booklet art in tow. :thumbsup:

This would also prevent people from bitching about Bucket, Brain & Robin's inclusion on the unreleased tracks.

I would absolutely love a re-release of my favorite album with extra tracks!!!!

Axl where is my "bonus disc" you spoke of in 2002???? :P

Yeah, at this point it doesn't seem like anyone, other than maybe Axl, has a real concrete idea of when new music is going to come or what form it will take (old or new tracks). But if they are planning on putting some of the other CD tracks on a rerelease, it would explain why Best Buy still isn't carrying it. Just sayin. :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

I don't think Axl worked for a decade on one album of A sides and one album of B sides. We all know the 2002 lineup was more talented than what we have today. I've no doubt that Bucket and Robin will be all over the next album. After that maybe we'll get a Dj and Ron album, but I'm not really counting on that.

So what is the point then?

So they have between 20-50 songs (depending on various quotes from people).

The current band hasn't written together.

At some point music has to be released. What is Axl waiting for? He wants to get paid and have a proper release for the old music???

Does Axl say "sorry DJ and Bucket, we are only going to use two of the songs you helped write and create, but I'm gonna put 8 songs that Finck and Bucket wrote on the next album. Even though you guys have been in the band for the past 7 years and those other two guys haven't been. Maybe in five more years after this, we will put out a full album of your music. At that point you will have been in the band and touring with GnR for 12 years.....all while playing two of your own songs."

At some point Axl needs to STOP touring and work on getting music ready to relase. Your scenario ONLY makes sense if the band is putting out new music. Which they aren't. And apparently have no time table to do so.

It really isn't that hard. Release an album of the best of the CD remaining tracks. Tour for the next year and write together. Take a couple months off then get back together and record a new album. Then tour again.

Putting out music gives this band time to sit down and write and record together. And is a big THANK YOU to the fans that have supported this band, some of us since 1987.

But HOLDING onto all the old music......not recording with the new band.......no news or information about a new album.........basically means this is just a touring band.

Didn't Axl revitalize GnR in 1999? So this "one album in three years is enough, that's what all bands do" stuff is BS. One album in 13 years, with no news of another one coming any time soon. It is just sad. Axl is my favorite singer of all time and it is a shame that we don't have 30-40 more songs to enjoy that feature his voice.

I was on the Metallica website which is fuckin' awesome for dowloading songs and videos. They have something called "Beyond Magnetic" which are left over tracks from their album Death Magnetic.

After hearing the tracks it is clear why they didn't make it on the album. But that's not the point. This would be an awesome route for GNR to get unreleaed CD era material out there and start working on a fresh album.

I thought it was a brilliant idea, especially as Metallica are not as prolific as they were in the 80's. You are right about the quality of the songs themselves however, they are not A side material. That's probably where the difference lies. The general consensus is that tracks like The General, Seven, Thyme, Jackie Chan etc are the big titles. They have been worked on for ages, I can't see Axl(or the label) just saying "yeah put them out on Itunes while we work on a new album. I could be wrong but I don't even think the "Beyond Magnetic" tracks were fully fleshed out like the Death Magnetic counterparts. "Rough unfinished mixes" although they sounded very good to me.

Ideally, I would want Guns to put out CD II via physical means with the Bucket and Robin songs first, even in a boxset(I'm dreaming). Then after they have exhausted those tracks, hit the studio with the current guys. But realistically, I will take anything from them lol.

Although i'm more inklined to the idea of a re-release with a bonus disc with al the Chinese stuff or even a live DVD + bonus cd with the unreleased Chinese stuff i really liked To hell and back , both live and studio . You guys should give it a listen !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHTA27r-ts&feature=related

Edited by silverarrow

I thought it was a brilliant idea, especially as Metallica are not as prolific as they were in the 80's. You are right about the quality of the songs themselves however, they are not A side material. That's probably where the difference lies. The general consensus is that tracks like The General, Seven, Thyme, Jackie Chan etc are the big titles. They have been worked on for ages, I can't see Axl(or the label) just saying "yeah put them out on Itunes while we work on a new album. I could be wrong but I don't even think the "Beyond Magnetic" tracks were fully fleshed out like the Death Magnetic counterparts. "Rough unfinished mixes" although they sounded very good to me.

Ideally, I would want Guns to put out CD II via physical means with the Bucket and Robin songs first, even in a boxset(I'm dreaming). Then after they have exhausted those tracks, hit the studio with the current guys. But realistically, I will take anything from them lol.

I agree. The problem alot of the fans have with this idea is they kno how long it took for chinese to come out, and they don't want to think of how long its really gunman take to hear new music. I don't even care about releases as long as we can get good recordings of new songs at shows. I really really hope they throw us a fucking bone this time around. If not I can't see spending the loot again. I spend a grand on every single tour. I go to ny whenever they announce just a few shows. I really can't get enough of em, but if we can't get an unreleased track in a club full of die hards, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

clarify your opinion of the songs are not on the album. in my opinion the songs are even better in some respects from those in magnectic death.

Rebel of Babylon and Hate Train are pretty cool and should have replaced The Song That Never Ends and The Judas Kiss (good chorus however). Lulu was just funny. I think they should just release an EP of things they worked on. Regardless of who's on them just put in the damn booklet 'The Chinese Democracy sessions' and state who was on them and why from Axl's perspective of the struggle to make that collection and how they're going on to brighter things and have an impending album from the current line up at the start of next year or something, I'm sure people would be interested..

Edited by RandallFlagg

Let's be honest though guys. Beyond Magnetic is damage control, nothing more. It was intended to give fans and media something Metallica related to talk about other than how terrible Lulu was.

Maybe but look at all the releases Metallica did since Death Magnetic (2008). That's something we G N' R fans could be jealous about.

Albums and EP's:

Death Magnetic

Six feet down under EP 1 & 2

Live at Grimey's

Beyond Magnetic

dvd:

Francais pour une nuit

Orgullo, Pasion Y Gloria: Tres Noches En La Ciudad De Mexico

The Big 4 at Sofia

Singles:

The day that never comes

All nightmare long

Broken, beat & scarred

I bet we'll be seeing this in the next couple years

Albums and EP's:

Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy Sessions EP

The Legend of the Red Panda

dvd:

An Evening Up Close and Personal (Acoustic)

Live At The Ritz II

Singles:

The General

Down By The Ocean (feat. Izzy Stradlin)

Shackler's Victory

:heart:

Albums and EP's:

Chinese Democracy

dvd:

Live At The Ritz II

Singles:

The General

Shackler's Victory

That would be sweeeeeet

+1.

Albums and EP's:

Chinese Democracy

dvd:

Live At The Ritz II

Singles:

The General

Shackler's Victory

:D Dream on.

@ MSL: The Beyond Magnetic songs where performed for the 1st time during Metallica's 30th birthday shows at The Fillmore in december 2011 and i don't think they have anything to do with Lulu. Metallica are always very generous to their fans and imo this is just another thank you to the fans.