Conspiracy against GNR in the music business

volcano62

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The label could have promoted it when Axl played Houdini.

Why sink money into an investment that they were LUCKY to make their money back on? Why invest money into an investment when the proprietor himself won't help? Although I do believe the label purposely fucked the release after the Best Buy deal was signed, I do think Axl made it hard in the early years for the label. It is evident that Axl did not want the record out in the early 2000's, hence why the label stopped funding the record. But then Axl still had a contract with said label, so was forced to tour to muster finances to finish off the record. The label had him in a noose for sure. But Axl's efforts(or lack of) put him in that position.

Best Buy promoted it online and on TV. But without the star of the band, how much can you do with screenshots and political slogans? How much more could they have promoted it without Axl? Could an executive have gone on Letterman and promoted it? No. I'm not saying the label is the victim, no fucken way. But to say the label could have done what Axl didn't... That's not true.

Axl doesn't want to promote shit. It's his way of doing things. Nobody is conspiring against the man or his band... I think? :shrugs:

You bring up a good point. Months before the release of Chidem I thought to myself "Man, Axl rarely does interviews, how is he going to shot a music video etc?". The idea of the Better video was that it was a cut up montage of live footage. How lame. Bach did that for Love is a Bitchslap and it went no where. It's something done on the cheap. Guns N' Roses deserved better(pun indeeded) than just cut up live footage. I was expecting Don't Cry part II. But alas, it didn't happen. I don't think we will ever see Axl in front of a camera doing music videos anymore.

I was surprised to see a monster energy drink sitting on his piano during November rain on this last tour.

For a man that is anti sell out and promo, that was some blatant product placement.

I guess you gotta do wacha gotta do.

He should have that cooperative for CDs release. Lol

Lol, good point actually. Some say the Best Buy deal was a sell out thing to do, as Guns were anti-establishment. However that notion should have been dispelled when they signed to a big label in the 80s lol.

And I wonder how much that free dr pepper promotion affected the subsequent release of CD, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on things like this as long as there's value for both sides (as well as for the fans) however I don't agree with it if it's totally unrelated and soley for financial means

Cough* volkswagon commercial * LOL

Edited by gunns5

Do you think DJ would do a car comercial if he was a big enough

Name to be asked?

The answer is fuck yes he would.

And he is axls right hand man in the new band.

Everyone in the mainstream music biz sells out in some way,

According to your petty sell out ethics..

It's there job today to make money in different ways since album sells are way down.

AND ThERE IS NOTHinG WRONG WITH ThAT!

Do you think DJ would do a car comercial if he was a big enough

Name to be asked?

The answer is fuck yes he would.

And he is axls right hand man in the new band.

Everyone in the mainstream music biz sells out in some way,

According to your petty sell out ethics..

It's there job today to make money in different ways since album sells are way down.

AND ThERE IS NOTHinG WRONG WITH ThAT!

I think DJ would ASK Axl first if that was okay, as he recognizes his role and significance as a member of Guns N' Roses. He reflects on the band in the same way a child reflects on a parent. I think he's respectful of that as a bandmate and a professional. I think that's the difference. It's important to maintain artistic credibility and street cred alike for a band to succeed over time. And I think there are certain things -- like, say, wearing a glittery sparkle top hat with the Black Eyed Peas during the biggest televised advertisement-gasm of the year -- could compromise those important aspects of a band's integrity. Obviously, appearing in a car commercial wouldn't be nearly that detrimental to a band's cool. But I think the same basic principal applies.

Ok lets see here...

AC/DC Black Ice

Promoted to the point it was shoved down our throats

Metallica Death Magnetic

Decent promotion, TDTNC pushed hard as a single

Foo Fighters Wasting Light

Already has two singles over played on main stream radio

Van Halen A Different Kind Of Truth

If I hear Tattoo one more time i'll fuckin' stab the first person I see

Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball

I love the new single "We Take Care of Our Own" but 15 times a day on main stream radio? come the fuck on

My point is why was CD put on the back burner? The album IMO is 1000000 times better than all the albums I mentioned.

Did Axl piss off the man that much to deserve this shit?

They didn't promote Chinese Democracy because no one apart from the select die hards on this board gave a fuck about Axl's album anymore. Everyone still gets excited about Metallica and AC/DC because both bands are capable of generating excitement themselves. With Bruce people know they can expect a great tour to follow, so people look forward to it.

Now you tell me, what was there to look forward to regarding Chinese Democracy? The album failed to live up to anyone's expectations apart from, once again, a select few die hards on this board, Axl, for whatever reason, decided not to promote it himself and even nowadays there's not a single promo shot of the entire band available. There was no real tour anounced to promote the album until over a year after the album had been released, so really, what was there to promote? No one cared, not even Axl, it seemed.

Don't blame a record company when the man himself isn't available or willing to do anything apart from playing the odd string of shows for which he once again isn't willing to do promo work. The failure of Chinese Democracy is entirely to blame on Axl. 13 years of "working on it", you can't expect a record company to spend money on a promo tour that'll never give them back the money they spend on it. In the end a record company is a business just like every other company that tries to make money. Axl is an employee they can't rely on, has only cost them money, thus are not willing to spend more money on. The sole purpose of a promo campaing started by a record company is to make people buy the album so it'll cover the costs of making that album. When no promo campaign can cover those costs, they won't start one in the first place, because at most the only thing it'll do is cover the costs of the promo campaign. It's a business model, not some conspiracy.

It just didn't have any hooks or songs that had mass apeal.

It was promoted, and had legend like status throughout the rock world.

Coma: do you have a source for your claim that radio stations were told not to play cd?, because that it a big claim to just pull out your arse.

No I do not. However, if you think there isn't a monetary correlation to airplay then you are mad son!

Like I said, call your local rock station and request a CD track. You tell me how that goes...

Again,

The album was promoted pretty well. Was reviewed and talked about by every respectable and major media outlet, was talked about on the news, entertainment shows, late night talk shows, music magazines, commercials, etc. The media and label did their job. It was Axl, for whatever reason, who didn't bother promoting his own work. But even if he did, I personally don't believe it would've made that big of a difference anyways. Anybody that gave a remote shit about GNR, knew about this album, if it wouldn't have been streamed on myspace the night before, it could've probably sold a lot more based on curiousity alone.

Better luck next time.

Not sure how people aren't understanding that Axl wasn't the victim here. The label invested a lot of money and time into this.I'm not buying into that whole conspiracy that anybody in their right minds would spend 13 million dollars into a project just to purposely sabotage it. Makes no sense. They were furious because Axl went awol after it was released.

The only reason that I can indicate as to why Axl barely lifted a finger, was because of the artwork shit. I know some of you defend him by saying, "the label couldn't wait two more weeks for the correct booklet??". But then you should ask yourselves, how often do you think Axl told them "just a few weeks", the whole decade the album was in the works?

The artwork excuse was a ridiculous reason not to actively promote it. I think MySpace streaming it before the release instead of sending out a song here and a song there like Lady Gaga did, and Van Halen are doing works. The leak by Cogill was stopped pretty fast,but the exclusive deal with Best Buy at that time hurt more than helped.

People on here have said they heard CD songs on the radio, and not just title track, Better and SOD, but also Shacklers, TWAT, IRS and others.

I've personally heard CD once , Better once , and SOD maybe twice - all back in 2008/early 2009. Radio stations are commercial and play the same junk over and over for reason. If the label isn't doing its job then there won't be (much) airplay. Hopefully this pissing match (blame on many ends here) is over by the time we get the next release...

No I do not. However, if you think there isn't a monetary correlation to airplay then you are mad son!

Like I said, call your local rock station and request a CD track. You tell me how that goes...

Don't be silly, that has nothing to do with there being some conspiracy, but all to do with radio stations having playlists on them compiled with the most popular and requested songs by their listeners. If any song that's being requested by any listener is not on the initial playlist to start with, it won't get played. No radio station is going to play a song like Better to please you while they could play Welcome To The Jungle that'd please pretty much everyone. The risk of them losing 60% of their listeners is too high and no listeners means no advertising. If 500 listeners change the station during Better how big is the chance of them coming back? They won't be checking every minute to see if the song has finished, because by then they've probably found something else they like. A loss of 500 listeners might mean a loss of 10% of their audience, yet a commercial is based upon a certain amount of listeners, and the price a company has to pay a radio station to get their commercial played is based upon a certain amount of listeners. If there are fewer listeners, the radio station won't be able to ask as much money as they used to. It's once again a business thing, and not some conspiracy.

Tough to say who got the ball rolling in regards to promo. Looks like they attempted to get this album out there.

ITW - Body of Lies movie soundtrack

SR - Rock Band

CD - WWE themesong

Better - Harley Davidson ad and video (both never released)

Entire album - streamed on mySpace and broke records

If they just play the songs more often, maybe it will raise Interest. That is how bands use to climb the charts, by air play. They still do. But you can count on one hand the number of local rock stations. For me there is only three and strangely enough they always play the same band within a half hour.

Ok lets see here...

AC/DC Black Ice

Promoted to the point it was shoved down our throats

Metallica Death Magnetic

Decent promotion, TDTNC pushed hard as a single

Foo Fighters Wasting Light

Already has two singles over played on main stream radio

Van Halen A Different Kind Of Truth

If I hear Tattoo one more time i'll fuckin' stab the first person I see

Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball

I love the new single "We Take Care of Our Own" but 15 times a day on main stream radio? come the fuck on

My point is why was CD put on the back burner? The album IMO is 1000000 times better than all the albums I mentioned.

Did Axl piss off the man that much to deserve this shit?

There Is no conspiracy against Guns N Roses. Late starts, 14 Years between albums, no communication with the fan base and no promotion when the album was finally released, have greatly reduced this once great bands fan base significantly, and It shows In album and ticket sales. Where once they were the biggest band In the world, they are now a mid tier band. Its time to create a spark and watch the spark become a roaring blaze. They are off to a good START.

Conspiracy? No, Best Buy just doesn't have a clue how to promote compared to Wal-Mart

The record label didn't care about the album the minute the Best Buy deal was inked. From that point forward it was on Best Buy to market/promote the album and they did a terrible job. The label made out like bandits. The band suffered because people could call the album a flop, but the bottom line is that there are only around 800 Best Buys in the US compared to 4000-5000 Wal-Marts, compared to tens of thousands of venues if it were a "normal" release.

Guest Len B'stard

it's ridiculous to suggest that an industry would conspire against GnR. the music industry cares about exactly fuck all except money and they will throw their weight behind anything that they see a return on. And if they don't (see a return) they won't. Thats not to say that GnR are shit before some wankstain Axl Defenders jump my arse (not mentioning any names, sailaway) but it means that all factors in the marketing of that album have to be in place and when you've got someone who is, rightly or wrongly, don't start quoting instances of Axls punctuality on me now, has a reputation for being a bit unpredictable, people ain't gonna put their money behind it, simple. I mean you wouldn't bet on a horse that there's a chance might not be in the stalls come the morning of the race, now would you?