The General - Atlas Shrugged - Soul Monster

Nick85

I dunno. I just dont think anyone's in the position to completely write off new songs being played on the upcoming tour. I mean, it's not like Fernando would take to GNR's twitter the week before the tour saying "Get ready for SOUL MONSTER!!". I honestly think it'll just happen sooner or later.

It'd be nice if they gave at least a hint like DJ's "Good morning, mi amor" before RiR.

Yeah, but if they did it would probably be a hint that we wouldnt get until after the fact, like DJ's. It could honestly be as easy as Axl sending them an MP3 of two or three new songs he wants to play live, and have them each learn their parts, and then maybe play them together a few times before the shows. Ya never know.

Worked in the past might work now leak material and it might get played.

Yeah but if the song is leaked, who cares if they play it. That leak would probably occupy us for like four months before we even suggest the idea of them performing it live. I'd much rather have new recorded material than new live material.

Edited by GNRSkidRow1

Seeing as though their beginning to tour again right after the last tour, I wouldn't be surprised if the supposed "new album" may be done. Tommy said their supposed to go into "writing mode" after the end of this tour, but all the sudden, their beginning to to tour again. So when are they going to write? Axl said they were going to get new stuff out after they "worked out stuff with the label," maybe it's all worked out now?

All in all, I find it really cool that their actually active and touring, instead of being silent again.

On topic: It would be really cool if they were to play atleast one new song during this upcoming tour.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Is any other band this secretive about songs they have created?

Everybody is curious about the songs that they have in the vault. And we are ONLY curious because those songs have been mentioned by numerous people, including members of the band!!!!

I don't understand what is so hard about simply sharing with the fans what is going on. Like all other bands do?

"Ya, we have 10 songs that are pretty much complete - my favorites being (insert names), and 10 songs that are in various stages of completion, that I don't want to give up on. We need to mix/balance the current players into those old songs, and as soon as that is done, they will be ready to be released.

The plan is to put out the best 15 of those songs this year. And while the fans are enjoying that work, the current band will spend the year vacationing and then writing together, and hopefully we'll give you a new ablum in early 2013."

How simple is that?

Instead we get vague quotes and nothing concrete.I don't get why they are so secretive?

Seeing as though their beginning to tour again right after the last tour, I wouldn't be surprised if the supposed "new album" may be done. Tommy said their supposed to go into "writing mode" after the end of this tour, but all the sudden, their beginning to to tour again. So when are they going to write? Axl said they were going to get new stuff out after they "worked out stuff with the label," maybe it's all worked out now?

All in all, I find it really cool that their actually active and touring, instead of being silent again.

On topic: It would be really cool if they were to play atleast one new song during this upcoming tour.

Agreed. I was under the impression that 2012 was going to see the band focus on the next album...Then BOOM, a February theater tour and two month summer tour to follow. Kinda makes you hope that Axl knows something we don't.

Hopefully, this tour means they'll be putting out the rest of the CD tracks before coming together as a group and creating an entirely new album. Would make sense to me.

Everybody is curious about the songs that they have in the vault. And we are ONLY curious because those songs have been mentioned by numerous people, including members of the band!!!!

I don't understand what is so hard about simply sharing with the fans what is going on. Like all other bands do?

"Ya, we have 10 songs that are pretty much complete - my favorites being (insert names), and 10 songs that are in various stages of completion, that I don't want to give up on. We need to mix/balance the current players into those old songs, and as soon as that is done, they will be ready to be released.

The plan is to put out the best 15 of those songs this year. And while the fans are enjoying that work, the current band will spend the year vacationing and then writing together, and hopefully we'll give you a new ablum in early 2013."

How simple is that?

Instead we get vague quotes and nothing concrete.I don't get why they are so secretive?

I have to agree with this. Most major bands, particularly in this interactive age, are now very forthcoming with song titles, working titles, level of progress on recording sessions etc, via their websites, Twitter accounts and so on.

However, I'm cautiously optimistic that we 'might' see a new album in 2012 and it certainly feels like the band has some momentum going now, plus, a never ending tour of more or less the same songs over and over again will only appeal to most hardcore fans for so long.

What if Axl doest really dig the old cd session stuff anymore?

Like he wants to return to more of their old sound( makes sense with the hiring of Ashba)

The current setlist would indicate he likes playing the older stuff and he is big buddies with DJ, a rock song writer ( his new writing partner).

Perhaps so much time has passed and he is in a different headspace and would rather gel with the new band, tour and eventually write something fresh with the current members instd of releasing dated music that features long gone members?

What if Axl doest really dig the old cd session stuff anymore?

Like he wants to return to more of their old sound( makes sense with the hiring of Ashba)

The current setlist would indicate he likes playing the older stuff and he is big buddies with DJ, a rock song writer ( his new writing partner).

Perhaps so much time has passed and he is in a different headspace and would rather gel with the new band, tour and eventually write something fresh with the current members instd of releasing dated music that features long gone members?

I highly, highly doubt thats the case. You don't spend years recording and millions of dollars on songs, just to scrap them later in favor of entirely new recordings. We'll hear these songs. The question is, when?

The General Into [Longest Version]

The General Intro [New Version]

Rumor and speculation.

Reading this site for about 11 years also taught me that GnR fans usually get their hopes up based on the smallest things and then expect the world. And then they give the band shit for not living up to their expectations. We need to stop doing that.

And I'm going to shamelessly quote myself here just because it's so very relevant.

Not "speculation" that that intro clip is from the General. It's a clip that's been played quite a bit at the start of GNR shows.

thegeneraltwitter.jpg

Also, during the forum chats, Axl said this:

Dudecqd: Axl, coudl you tells us more about "The General"?

Axl: You may have heard parts of it somewhere.

Not "speculation" that that intro clip is from the General. It's a clip that's been played quite a bit at the start of GNR shows.

thegeneraltwitter.jpg

Also, during the forum chats, Axl said this:

Dudecqd: Axl, coudl you tells us more about "The General"?

Axl: You may have heard parts of it somewhere.

Yes, exactly.

So apparently, these three tracks are three of the biggest "heavy-hitters" most likely set for the next GNR album. Do you guys think this theater tour is a way for them to maybe try out some of these new tracks in preparation for the big European tour outing set for this summer?

Soul Monster - Axl's favorite unheard track. Described as GNR's most "Black Sabbath" moment, and one of the meanest songs Axl's ever recorded.

Atlas Shrugged - Tom Zutaut's favorite out of the batch of CD songs. Described by Classic Rock magazine as November Rain meets 70's glam rock. As of December 2008, Axl stated they were still trying to get a good mix together for this song.

The General - Sebastian Bach's favorite unheard "Chinese Democracy" track. Described by Axl as the unofficial sequel to 'Estranged'. Co-written by Brain. Has heavy orchestration, as heard playing before many live shows.

I certainly hope they're finally planning to debut a couple of these. God knows the fans are foaming at the mouth for new music!

as small as this theater tour is gonna be it really would be a perfect chance to test dive some of these songs.

I sure as hell hope they do.

How simple is that?

I have to agree with this. Most major bands, particularly in this interactive age, are now very forthcoming with song titles, working titles, level of progress on recording sessions etc, via their websites, Twitter accounts and so on.

However, I'm cautiously optimistic that we 'might' see a new album in 2012 and it certainly feels like the band has some momentum going now, plus, a never ending tour of more or less the same songs over and over again will only appeal to most hardcore fans for so long.

It's not the secrecy that bothers me most, it's how unproductive this band has been in large part (one album, ~ fifteen years). I'm kind of optimistic though. Things do seem a little different this time. There is some momentum building, like they might actually want to do something a bit more noteworthy.

How simple is that?

It's not the secrecy that bothers me most, it's how unproductive this band has been in large part (one album, ~ fifteen years). I'm kind of optimistic though. Things do seem a little different this time. There is some momentum building, like they might actually want to do something a bit more noteworthy.

While I do share the same enthusiasm for 2012 with everything that is going on, let's not forget 2001 when people thought activity meant a new record. Or 2002. Or 2006... 2007... 2010... 2011...