Star Trek!

31illusions

I'm a big sci-fi buff. I love everything Star trek. I really love the last Trek film. It was the best movie since First Contact and Wrath of Kahn.
Now I'm so excited to see Star Trek Into Darkness. I've also been to conventions, although I do draw the line at dressing up at one of those

things. I have about 30 action figures also (which are unopened). I collect movie posters too. The Next Generation was always my favorite

series. Now I'm totally into JJ Abrams new take on the Trek movies. Is anyone else looking forward to seeing "Into Darkness" or love Star

trek as much as me?

Edited by 31illusions

I was originally more into Star Wars, but now I think they're both great. I'm not like a super fan or a trekkie. Scifi is one of my favorite movie/tv genres, so they rock in my book. The last Star Trek movie was awesome indeed. Great example how remakes/reboots should be done. I don't think theres any dull moment in that movie.... I might have to watch it again now... Really waiting for the next one.

Enterprise really wasn't good at all. I try watching it, even on netflix. It's just so different and offbeat from the rest of the series.
Low ratings were looming from the beginning and got worse over time. I thought for sure Trek was dead after ENT and the last
Next Gen movie was over, But JJ brought that thing back in an awesome way. Really, a good script makes all the difference.

Edited by 31illusions

IDK birdcatcher it wasn't good at all. I try watching it, even on netflix. It's just so different and offbeat from the rest of the series.

Low ratings were looming from the beginning and got worse over time. I thought for sure Trek was dead after ENT and the last

Next Gen movie was over, But JJ brought that thing back in an awesome way. Really, I say it comes down to having a good script.

The alternative universe was a brilliant idea because they can start fresh and release a series of films. It was the best writing decision they've made since killing off Spock then bringing him back to life. They should have never killed off Kirk though but now they can fix that.

• 8 months later...

I love Star Trek. Don't care to much for DS9 though. And I don't understand the hate for Enterprise. I just recently watch it and I love it. Really looking forward to the new movie. My favorite movies are Wrath Of Kahn and Undiscovered Country.

I've never properly watched Star Trek although I like science fiction (my favorite tv show is sci-fi along with a number of other shows high up on my list, and a few books as well). I saw a few TNG episodes when it was on tv when I was a kid.

I know it pioneered many of the genre tropes but I don't think I'd have the patience to go through it now, after having watched a number of works from when the genre matured. I would like to watch TNG and DS9, but no the whole series; if I had someone make me a list of all the arc episodes and a few non-arc essentials I would totally watch that (when I had the time).

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This show's message of different species living in harmony was deep.

Gene Roddenberry's vision was a reflection of the current times (at the time) shown in a positive light, and setting it in space was a way to get around the censors when it came to stuff like racial harmony.

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

This show's message of different species living in harmony was deep.

Gene Roddenberry's vision was a reflection of the current times (at the time) shown in a positive light, and setting it in space was a way to get around the censors when it came to stuff like racial harmony.

Oh please...

I like Star Trek and all, but I'd hardly call it some sort of socially/racially equality groundbreaker (except for Kirk kissing the black chick). But overall I think you are stretching....

Besides Star Wars >>>>> Star Trek. Say what you will about episode 1 and 2, but they still piss all over star trek 1,5,6, and nemisis. Star Trek has made some AWFUL films...

Yeah I dig the original series and movies and TNG- they show a fuckload of Voyager and Deep Space Nine on the idiot box here and I watch it but I'm not sure of the overall storyline or what have you- it's a bit non star trek in a way.

The Wrath of Kahn and Search For Spock are fucking cool, the TNG movie where Picard gets the drill through his eye at the start and Worf does the space walk is pretty awesome too.