Guns N Roses Are At A Crossroad

Kaneda

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...because as of right now America still doesn't accept this version of Guns N Roses, as a matter of fact I would be willing to bet, that the average American couldn't name one other member of the band, other then Axl Rose.

The average American can't name band members from Van Halen, Metallica or Aerosmith, either :). And even if they could, who cares? Why should it matter to me if GN'R is the biggest band in "America" or not? How would that affect my appreciation of their concerts and music? I guess it matters to 15 year-olds...

In addition, from a market perspective GN'R shouldn't try to please the blasé US market, but expand into India and China and keep touring South America. And not care about what you and 15 year-old kids in the US says.

Dont try to Insult me with your bullshit comments.

What did I say that was bullshit?

I have been a fan from the very beginning.

I couldn't care less because how long you have been a fan is completely irrelevant.

The topic Is Guns N Roses are at a crossroads and I simply stated that they were at a crossroads along time ago and as of right now It has not gone according to planned.

I was kinda commenting on your dribble about "America" not accepting the band.

Axl isn't at a Crossroads. He is content being a nostalgia act. To suggest the band is at a crossroads implies they want to be anything more than that but don't know how.

An idiotic comment. If there was contentment in being a nostalgia act, there would've been no point in ever releasing CD.

Ali

Axl did everything he could to pretend it never was released if you remember correctly. I think the label forced the album out, and Axl did everything he could to pretend it never happened. Not exactly someone who was screaming from the rooftops about it.

No indication it was forced out. Playing half of the album nightly is not exactly pretending it was never released.

Ali

First, let me say that this band is the tightest lineup since the original band. They put on a very professional and solid show. It's no bullshit, great rock n roll. But lately I feel like this band is at a cross road and they have a decision to make: do we move forward as a band, or do we lean heavily into the past. It's not an easy decision at all. As much as us hardcore fans love Chinese D, most people at the shows I've been to respond indifferently to the new material. Nobody can sense that more than the guys up on stage. So what do they do? They play the hits. The songs people love. The songs people came to see. But in doing that, and leaning into the old material, it makes fans think - why aren't the old guys just up there then? We all know the answer to that.

As die hard fans, we selfishly want more new material. But if GNR is a brand, that brands equity sinks if new material fails to find cultural relevance. So what do they do? How long can they keep leaning into the past with these new guys before it becomes irrelevant? For some of you, it already has. I'm still on the fence. It looks like Guns is going to be on the road for a while, which is a blessing and a curse for the die hards. It almost guarantees no new material is being studio recorded. So what about the loads of material recorded during the making of CHinese D? Will we ever see it? Sounds like record label issues may keep that material side-lined for while. But who knows...

The band is at the crossroads right now. You can feel it in the air. You can sense it at the shows. You can see it in the faces of all GNR fans. They are all holding on to something they love. But holding onto the past makes it so hard to move forward. We all want Axl to succeed and I believe he can find future success if he just puts more music out there. He's surrounded by such talent, but they aren't marketed properly. Nobody knows who these guys are. And can you blame the fans? They have no content to react to. No music videos, no behind the scenes with DJ or Ron. They are sitting on an ocean of content...let it go and I'm sure a lot of good would come of it. That's my two cents...How do you guys feel?

This post should be the only post viewable on this forum until Axl comments on it. All other threads and posts should be deleted.

You seem awfully ignorant of GN'R when you haven't heard that both Tommy, Ron, Richard and Dj have expressed eagerness and drive to make a new record as soon as possible and hence be more than a nostalgia act...Tsk tsk.

Buckethead, Robin, Brain and Tommy were really eager to release albums to, and you saw how well that went.

It would seem you are even more ignorant of GNR when you post as if it matters what the band members think/want. Axl runs this ship, and he alone decides if/when new music is coming out regardless of what the rest of the line-up wants.

You were the one talking about the band not wanting to be anything except a nostalgia act:

Axl isn't at a Crossroads. He is content being a nostalgia act. To suggest the band is at a crossroads implies they want to be anything more than that but don't know how.

I was merely responding to your nonsense.

I believe there formula for success Is to stick to what got them here, which Is just straight up Rock N Roll.I would have to say, most of the worlds opinion Is that(judging by the sales numbers) Chinese Democracy wasn't a good Guns N Roses album and wasn't worth 14 years of silence. They need to go back to basics, release a new album ,with at least one or two hit singles, something along the lines of Sweet Child, Paradise City, November Rain and keep there faces plastered everywhere they possibly can, because as of right now America still doesn't accept this version of Guns N Roses, as a matter of fact I would be willing to bet, that the average American couldn't name one other member of the band, other then Axl Rose.

Sounds like a good plan to me. They will either follow the plan and play to 3/4 to full arenas or continue down the road that they are on and play to half empty arenas. It doesnt affect my life either way but It would be nice to see them somewhat relevant again.

So you are trying to convince me and everyone on the board that Axl doesn't care about success,or If people know the songs, or who the band members are? Come on, lets be realistic here, you don't spend 14 years and 15 million dollars making an album that you hope will be unsuccessful and people won't know the songs. The album did not live up to his expectations, It's just that plain and simple.

Eh, there's a huge difference between being the biggest rock act in the world and wanting your music to be appreciated. It is obvious Axl has no motivation for the former, because he doesn't do promotion and he doesn't release music frequently; and it is equally obvious he cares for the latter, because otherwise he wouldn't release music at all.

What are you talking about with this biggest rock act In the world bullshit? No one even made reference to them ever becoming the biggest rock act In the world again(those days are long gone).

Because YOU complained about GN'R not being as big as the greatest rock acts (AC/DC, Metallica, etc) and made it sound like that is an obvious objective for Axl and the current band. I was then merely pointing out that nothing suggests that that is a goal for Axl any more, but that he is supposedly happy with "only" having his artistic visions realized.

Actually, they were at the crossroads a long time ago, and they made some bad decisions, as a result they are now a mid tier band averaging 6,000 fans per show, Instead of selling out arena's like AC/DC, Metallica, Van Halen, Aerosmith and on and on. I believe there formula for success Is to stick to what got them here, which Is just straight up Rock N Roll.I would have to say, most of the worlds opinion Is that(judging by the sales numbers) Chinese Democracy wasn't a good Guns N Roses album and wasn't worth 14 years of silence. They need to go back to basics, release a new album ,with at least one or two hit singles, something along the lines of Sweet Child, Paradise City, November Rain and keep there faces plastered everywhere they possibly can, because as of right now America still doesn't accept this version of Guns N Roses, as a matter of fact I would be willing to bet, that the average American couldn't name one other member of the band, other then Axl Rose.

Axl Rose does not care about that definition of success. He does not care if the average person knows his new band members or songs, if he's matching up to Metallica or not, or if America "accepts" him. He doesn't care to do the same thing and stick to any formula. The path he's chosen is for his own definition of success, which I'd say is making the music he wants to and playing with the people he wants to.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments. The only reason BF and DJ are in the band is because Buckethead and Robin quit. I doubt Axl would have fired either if he suddenly discovered BF and DJ.

You know, you people say "who cares if they are appreciated/recognised" or " Axl doesn't care about success" but just think back to when Guns was launched. For four years those five guys, including Axl, worked their ass off to get GnR off the ground and worked even harder during the UYIs tours so obviously Axl cared back then. He acquired legal possession of the GnR name so he must care about that. He spent ~14 years working on an album so he must have cared about it to have spent that long toiling over it... (regardless of how it was launched).

The thing is that obviously he does (or at some point did) care for the commercial success of GnR. So yeah... why aren't things moving forward? I have no idea because this whole thing seems so random and weird! There is just something off about it, everyone has to admit that. We've had so many stops and starts over the past decade and now that we finally have a stable line-up the band seems to have fallen into a pattern of constant touring?!! I mean, did you ever think you would associated that with GnR? Their gigs have always been famous for an "anything can happen" feel!

To me this doesn't feel like a crossroad, but more like a dead end atm. The band seemed to be on a set path when they started the tour in 09. The tours have been very consistent over the last 3.5 years but no hint of future recording plans and now they are launching into another European tour... where is this going? What is their end-game? I remain cautiously curious...

...cue SCOM "where do we go now".

You know, you people say "who cares if they are appreciated/recognised" or " Axl doesn't care about success" but just think back to when Guns was launched. For four years those five guys, including Axl, worked their ass off to get GnR off the ground and worked even harder during the UYIs tours so obviously Axl cared back then. He acquired legal possession of the GnR name so he must care about that. He spent ~14 years working on an album so he must have cared about it to have spent that long toiling over it... (regardless of how it was launched).

The thing is that obviously he does (or at some point did) care for the commercial success of GnR. So yeah... why aren't things moving forward? I have no idea because this whole thing seems so random and weird! There is just something off about it, everyone has to admit that. We've had so many stops and starts over the past decade and now that we finally have a stable line-up the band seems to have fallen into a pattern of constant touring?!! I mean, did you ever think you would associated that with GnR? Their gigs have always been famous for an "anything can happen" feel!

To me this doesn't feel like a crossroad, but more like a dead end atm. The band seemed to be on a set path when they started the tour in 09. The tours have been very consistent over the last 3.5 years but no hint of future recording plans and now they are launching into another European tour... where is this going? What is their end-game? I remain cautiously curious...

Given that Axl's 50 now, and the type of show he attempts to put on, I'd say he has 10 years left max, and that's probably pushing things. Can you imagine a 60 year old Axl performing GN'R songs ?

So you are trying to convince me and everyone on the board that Axl doesn't care about success,or If people know the songs, or who the band members are? Come on, lets be realistic here, you don't spend 14 years and 15 million dollars making an album that you hope will be unsuccessful and people won't know the songs. The album did not live up to his expectations, It's just that plain and simple.

Eh, there's a huge difference between being the biggest rock act in the world and wanting your music to be appreciated. It is obvious Axl has no motivation for the former, because he doesn't do promotion and he doesn't release music frequently; and it is equally obvious he cares for the latter, because otherwise he wouldn't release music at all.

What are you talking about with this biggest rock act In the world bullshit? No one even made reference to them ever becoming the biggest rock act In the world again(those days are long gone).

Because YOU complained about GN'R not being as big as the greatest rock acts (AC/DC, Metallica, etc) and made it sound like that is an obvious objective for Axl and the current band. I was then merely pointing out that nothing suggests that that is a goal for Axl any more, but that he is supposedly happy with "only" having his artistic visions realized.

I wasn't complaining about Guns not being the biggest rock act on the planet anymore(just want them to be somewhat relevant again). If you think axls goals and big plans ,was to spend 14 years and 15 million dollars making an album that was a complete and utter failure(sales wise) and to be playing to half empty arenas across the country then you are more delusional then I Initially gave you credit for.

I must be a weird fan... i would go see GnR anytime they hit my city/country... no matter what... saw them 3 times already, setlist almost the same, and the 3 times were all dif in someway... the live experience its amazing, dont care if they play the same thing everynight, ill go see them all the time... thats just me :shrugs: i enjoy live rock shows...

Of course i want new music as much as other fans, but, im happy that they are touring, having fun, and keeping in contact with fans... i remember the years of silence, that was really hard for any fan... but here i am, enjoying the band i love year after year :thumbsup:

Given that Axl's 50 now, and the type of show he attempts to put on, I'd say he has 10 years left max, and that's probably pushing things. Can you imagine a 60 year old Axl performing GN'R songs ?

Ah... now see, I don't know what to think about that...

Yes I suppose if he wants to make a mark on the music world (post 90s of course) then he is working on a bit of a biological time scale. As much as I loath to admit it...

I hate to bring up this argument but when you start talking about Axl's age and all that sometimes I don't know what we as fans want; new music and more touring or for Axl to just admit defeat now and end GnR... :scared: (ahh perish the thought!)

But ya, I often find myself asking that question...

Edited by KiraMPD

First, let me say that this band is the tightest lineup since the original band. They put on a very professional and solid show. It's no bullshit, great rock n roll. But lately I feel like this band is at a cross road and they have a decision to make: do we move forward as a band, or do we lean heavily into the past. It's not an easy decision at all. As much as us hardcore fans love Chinese D, most people at the shows I've been to respond indifferently to the new material. Nobody can sense that more than the guys up on stage. So what do they do? They play the hits. The songs people love. The songs people came to see. But in doing that, and leaning into the old material, it makes fans think - why aren't the old guys just up there then? We all know the answer to that.

As die hard fans, we selfishly want more new material. But if GNR is a brand, that brands equity sinks if new material fails to find cultural relevance. So what do they do? How long can they keep leaning into the past with these new guys before it becomes irrelevant? For some of you, it already has. I'm still on the fence. It looks like Guns is going to be on the road for a while, which is a blessing and a curse for the die hards. It almost guarantees no new material is being studio recorded. So what about the loads of material recorded during the making of CHinese D? Will we ever see it? Sounds like record label issues may keep that material side-lined for while. But who knows...

The band is at the crossroads right now. You can feel it in the air. You can sense it at the shows. You can see it in the faces of all GNR fans. They are all holding on to something they love. But holding onto the past makes it so hard to move forward. We all want Axl to succeed and I believe he can find future success if he just puts more music out there. He's surrounded by such talent, but they aren't marketed properly. Nobody knows who these guys are. And can you blame the fans? They have no content to react to. No music videos, no behind the scenes with DJ or Ron. They are sitting on an ocean of content...let it go and I'm sure a lot of good would come of it. That's my two cents...How do you guys feel?

I think Prince and GNR are in the same boat right now as far as what to do next with their music. Prince might have released hundreds of songs in the time it took ChiDem to come out, but in 2012, neither one is focused on new music, they're annoyed with how the music industry and letting the online inmates run the asylum with their back catalogs, but neither one has any clue when it comes to running a business, and their actions proved it. Both can license songs from the past and tour to make money, but neither of them see a point in releasing new music if they're not going to at least break even on it.

But the big difference is that Prince can play any song he likes and still fill arenas, he has the name, the reputation, the backlog of songs to not HAVE to do "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry", or Van Morrison not having to do "Brown Eyed Girl", you can always see Jimmy Buffett to hear it - GNR have to play the hits if they want to keep playing arenas.

And you REALLY get divided opinions on Axl across the board using the GNR name in order to play the big venues vs using his own name which prob. would've resulted in having to play "up close and personal" and not make as much money, having to hire on a bunch of kids right out of MI & Berklee. It's not for debate in the forum - there's enough of their peers that have debated it to not get into that in this thread. Axl knows this, he brought up the whole "what's in a name" debate and stated his opinion on why he uses the GNR name, but it kind of goes against the whole reason why there's bands, and there's concepts. It's like asking if Steely Dan is a band... some people feel they were in '74 ,they were featured on the album covers and promo photos as being more than Becker and Fagen. Axl features the band as GNR, not just himself.

Robert Smith owns all things Cure, but he's morphed that into a past and present lineup live and in the studio, which is where I hope GNR wind up, where it's not just Dizzy and Axl connecting past with present. Even if Slash is permanently out of GNR, people would love to see what Izzy and Duff would bring in with the current lineup, even if they didn't go on tour with them. The musicians on the album aren't the musicians on the road with GNR, so it is like Steely Dan. And Steely Dan even put out 2 albums in between TSI to ChiDem. Kate Bush put 2 out last year.

I think ChiDem has run its course and the band needs to get some new music in there. They've become a tighter band but after 20-30 times of doing the same songs, it's hard to not be into it. It's no different than James Taylor singing Fire and Rain over and over -I'm sure there are nights he's not feeling it, but he also knows there's THOUSANDS of people who have never heard him sing it. How do you keep that fresh for yourself and not expose how bored you are playing that? Axl doesn't take Patience seriously, he's mostly scoping the audience out and running around.

I don't think they're at a dead end though, if anything, they have the songs, it's just going to be a matter of the band actually working on it. All they've done are throw ideas out there and everything else is collecting digital dust in the virtual vault. I think they should just work on a song and release it instead of waiting on a new album. They would make way more money doing it that way, and have new songs coming at us over time. They have stuff like Riff Raff and Sailing they could just record during rehearsal time and have it out that day, all they'd need to do is get the publishing cleared, which would take 5 seconds.

If you think axls goals and big plans ,was to spend 14 years and 15 million dollars making an album that was a complete and utter failure(sales wise) and to be playing to half empty arenas across the country then you are more delusional then I Initially gave you credit for.

It's funny that you have to make up things I believe just so you have something to ridicule.

I think ChiDem has run its course and the band needs to get some new music in there. They've become a tighter band but after 20-30 times of doing the same songs, it's hard to not be into it. It's no different than James Taylor singing Fire and Rain over and over -I'm sure there are nights he's not feeling it, but he also knows there's THOUSANDS of people who have never heard him sing it. How do you keep that fresh for yourself and not expose how bored you are playing that? Axl doesn't take Patience seriously, he's mostly scoping the audience out and running around.

I don't think they're at a dead end though, if anything, they have the songs, it's just going to be a matter of the band actually working on it. All they've done are throw ideas out there and everything else is collecting digital dust in the virtual vault. I think they should just work on a song and release it instead of waiting on a new album. They would make way more money doing it that way, and have new songs coming at us over time. They have stuff like Riff Raff and Sailing they could just record during rehearsal time and have it out that day, all they'd need to do is get the publishing cleared, which would take 5 seconds.

Lol, I don't think Axl's taken Patience seriously since '91. :lol:

"All they've done are throw ideas out there and everything else is collecting digital dust in the virtual vault"

^ As far as that is concerned, we don't know do we. Sure there have been some quotes from band members that elude to that but other than that there is nothing backing up the validity of this. They could have nothing, not even ideas, for new songs from this lineup. And I mean this lineup, not the CD era recordings.

But then again, the band members (Tommy, DJ, Bumblefoot) sound a lot more content/happy then they have in the past so maybe they'll write some songs on the road this year? Here's hoping.

(Of course in a HIGHLY UNLIKELY situation they could just be messing with us and have an album recorded and ready to go... ;p)

Edited by KiraMPD

If you think axls goals and big plans ,was to spend 14 years and 15 million dollars making an album that was a complete and utter failure(sales wise) and to be playing to half empty arenas across the country then you are more delusional then I Initially gave you credit for.

It's funny that you have to make up things I believe just so you have something to ridicule.

I'm not making anything up. Go back and read your posts. You are trying to stress the point and basically make excuses for the reasons why Guns N Roses can't sell tickets like they used to and why Chinese Democracy crashed and burned. Your reasoning was Axl Is content with the way things are, and there Is nothing to suggest he wants to be In one of the top bands In the world anymore, he just wants to have his artistic visions realized. So he spent all that money on an album and has been touring regularly for the last 7 years so that he can be In a mediocre band, just touring to break even so that he could have his artistic visions realized. I take It you are not a buisness man.

I'm not making anything up. Go back and read your posts. You are trying to stress the point and basically make excuses for the reasons why Guns N Roses can't sell tickets like they used to

No, I am not making any excuses for that. They are neither as relevant as they were or releasing material of the same quality as they used to. And I have never claimed anything else anywhere else.

and why Chinese Democracy crashed and burned.

I have never hidden the fact that I am not a huge fan of CD. Wow, it's almost like you haven't read my posts at all!

Your reasoning was Axl Is content with the way things are

No, I have never claimed Axl is happy with the way things are. What I have stated is that his goals may not primarily be to sell as many tickets as Metallica but rather to realize an artistic vision that he harbours.

and there Is nothing to suggest he wants to be In one of the top bands In the world anymore, he just wants to have his artistic visions realized.

Exactly. If he was driven by an urge to sell as much music as possible then he wouldn't make it so hard for himself musically, he would promote himself and his music, and he would just release music even if it didn't live up to his ridiculous expectations and perfections.

So he spent all that money on an album and has been touring regularly for the last 7 years so that he can be In a mediocre band

I have never said he has succeeded with his plans and visions.

just touring to break even so that he could have his artistic visions realized.

I have never said he has had his artistic visions realized.

I take It you are not a buisness man.

I am a CEO, so haha.

The way some of you worship Axl is funny.

So by your statements this really is just a nostalgic act. He doesn't care about success, putting out new music once every 15 years is MORE than enough, and the members of this band are happy just being a cover band. Wow.

Length of time being a fan does matter. I've been here 25 years. I was supporting Axl through it all. But he is losing me. That should matter.

Not releasing new music is a slap in the face to every current member of the band. Like it or not, if you tour for 15 years and play music that another band created......you are a cover band. End of story.

This band sounds amazing live. Unfortunately, and history has shown this, the longer it takes to release new music the more band members that are going to quit.

I'm baffled how GnR and music fans can say that Axl is handling the GnR name properly. So what you guys want, and think is awesome, is a revolving door of musicians, one album every decade at most, GnR to not be relevant in the music world, and for the band to just continually tour and play its so easy every night?

I'm different than you guys. I think this band could put out amazing music and would love to see them operate like EVERY other band in the world. Some of you are content with it being a cover band.

Oh , and CD was a success. Any label in the world will take a band that can produce albums that sell

4-5 million copies. Axl doesn't have to be the biggest band in the world. Keeping putting out albums that sell 4-5 million copies every 2-3 years and GnR will be relevant and successful. All GnR fans will be happy, the band will be a real band, they will make tons of money, Axl will show he can be a success without slash/Duff/Izzy. Everybody wins.

Or, just continue touring and living off the songs the old band created.

Edited by Groghan

He doesn't care about success, putting out new music once every 15 years is MORE than enough, and the members of this band are happy just being a cover band. Wow.

Who exactly says that Axl doesn't care about success, that it is okay with putting out music every 15 years, or says that the members of the band are happy just covering others' material?

I'm baffled how GnR and music fans can say that Axl is handling the GnR name properly.

Who says that?

It seems to me many people here are so passionate and antagonistic that they would rather conjure up other's opinions so they can fiercely respond to ideal fantasies than actually react to what they ARE saying.

I don't know, on one hand I'm happy that their still touring and were not going to go through another 3 years of silence. But, I think it would be good for GN'R if they were to release a new album, a new song, even a 5 song EP would be good enough. Hell, just play a new song live. Hell, just play something different live, I'm kind of shocked to see that they played the same set-list last night that they were playing all last year. I would think since this is a smaller crowd with more hardcore fans, they would atleast play songs that people hardly hear, but I was wrong.

We got Chinese Democracy in 2008, over 3 years ago. Yes it was a masterpiece and I would like it if GN'R was to give us some more music. Even a new single would be good enough, I just would like to have signs that this band is moving forward.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

He doesn't care about success, putting out new music once every 15 years is MORE than enough, and the members of this band are happy just being a cover band. Wow.

Who exactly says that Axl doesn't care about success, that it is okay with putting out music every 15 years, or says that the members of the band are happy just covering others' material?

I'm baffled how GnR and music fans can say that Axl is handling the GnR name properly.

Who says that?

It seems to me many people here are so passionate and antagonistic that they would rather conjure up other's opinions so they can fiercely respond to ideal fantasies than actually react to what they ARE saying.

Are you serious?

I admire your Passion for defending Axl. I've been doing it for the last 15 years.

But come on. Go back and reread all of these posts. You and a few others keep defending what this band is doing in every topic.

One album in 3.5 years is not bad.

People love this band touring.

Axl only has to please himself, not his fans.

And on and on and on.

We could go ten more years with no new album, four new band members, and years of touring and making money off of the old band, and GnR playing at clubs.......and you and Ali and a couple others will be on here saying it was the All Good.

I was right there with you guys. Ten years ago. Defending Axl with a Passion. Now I'm just tired of it. If he gave a crap about his fans and the GnR name, he would be putting out new music. Like every other band in the world does.