New Songs

Nick85

I was thinking about why Axl hasn't debuted any of the other unheard CD tracks live yet, and I had somewhat of an epiphany. Could it be that Axl doesn't want to play any of these tracks until he secures an actual release for the next album, on his terms?

One of the things that kind of spoiled CD was that we heard The Blues, Riad, Madagascar, Better, IRS, TWAT, literally YEARS before the album came out. Half of those were played 7 years before the album finally dropped. In the age of Youtube, MP3s, instant downloads etc. that can really spoil an album, that is, having the songs circulate for God knows how long before the actual album comes.

When you combine the live tracks and leaks, it may have really affected people's perceptions of Chinese Democracy LONG before the album finally dropped, and thus, affected sales and the way it was marketed.

My guess is that this time out, Axl wants our first impressions of the other tracks to be the way they were recorded and meant to be heard in the final mixes.

As you've all noticed, we have a laundry list of unreleased song titles...None of which have leaked to date. I doubt that's a coincidence. These songs are being heavily protected and are most likely being prepped for a special release of some kind.

As much as I'd love to hear The General live....I'd much rather have my first impression of it to be the real deal, studio recording.

Axl, if you've got a plan to release the rest of the tracks, I'm with it. But for the love of God, please make it ::gulp:: soon. :thumbsup:

Makes sense, I agree. But still, I think this theater tour is what should have happened last year, as Axl himself said he was expecting the Vegas show to be. I mean, its the very same tour, they didn't even rehearse a lot for it. The European tour may be the point where we could get anything different as far as setlist, IMHO - still, I wouldnt expect anything.

But I think the reason we didn't get leaks yet is because of the Antiquiet/FBI drama, but also because there isn't mixing tests yet as far as we know - as soon as Andy Wallace started getting demos to mix back in 2006, we had leaks.

I was thinking about why Axl hasn't debuted any of the other unheard CD tracks live yet, and I had somewhat of an epiphany. Could it be that Axl doesn't want to play any of these tracks until he secures an actual release for the next album, on his terms?

One of the things that kind of spoiled CD was that we heard The Blues, Riad, Madagascar, Better, IRS, TWAT, literally YEARS before the album came out. Half of those were played 7 years before the album finally dropped. In the age of Youtube, MP3s, instant downloads etc. that can really spoil an album, that is, having the songs circulate for God knows how long before the actual album comes.

When you combine the live tracks and leaks, it may have really affected people's perceptions of Chinese Democracy LONG before the album finally dropped, and thus, affected sales and the way it was marketed.

My guess is that this time out, Axl wants our first impressions of the other tracks to be the way they were recorded and meant to be heard in the final mixes.

As you've all noticed, we have a laundry list of unreleased song titles...None of which have leaked to date. I doubt that's a coincidence. These songs are being heavily protected and are most likely being prepped for a special release of some kind.

As much as I'd love to hear The General live....I'd much rather have my first impression of it to be the real deal, studio recording.

Axl, if you've got a plan to release the rest of the tracks, I'm with it. But for the love of God, please make it ::gulp:: soon. :thumbsup:

I think that is extremely plausible. It makes perfect sense. It's hard to know for sure without Axl confirming that, but it is certainly logical.

Ali

yeah, no doubt id rather hear the studio tracks first.

they can barely pull off prostitute or scraped live so i reckon the live general or checkmate would suck rly hard live.

Exactly. Can you imagine if the live version of Prostitute was our first impression of the song? :no: The studio version is epic. A masterpiece. Live? Not so much.

I'd rather hear Atlas, The General, Soul Monster etc. on the album before seeing how they pull them off in a live setting. I just hope that's what Axl's going for here. Otherwise... :shrugs:

Someone should wear a shirt to a GnR concert that says "Axl, I will stop trolling you on the internet after you release a new album" or maybe a shirt that just says "I want a new album, motherfucker!"

You want a repetition of history ;)

There was another guy there with a Slash t shirt there

Someone should wear a shirt to a GnR concert that says "Axl, I will stop trolling you on the internet after you release a new album" or maybe a shirt that just says "I want a new album, motherfucker!"

You want a repetition of history ;)

There was another guy there with a Slash t shirt there

Yeah I know that ;)

But maybe Axl would respond like this to someone with a shirt with the mentioned sentences above ;)

Another reason is because Axl thinks he makes enough cash with the Greatest Hits tour so there's no reason for him to make significant efforts to do more than that...

That's another possibility. :shrugs:

Ding ding ding!!!!

That would be more plausible if Axl hadn't stated himself that he wants to put new material out.

Ali

I'm sure some of the songs are finished, but it's a poker game going on right now with record labels. The problem is that he doesn't have much leverage with record companies, unless he puts some songs out that get people interested. I'm sure he wants to continue with Geffen only because he can get money from the back catalog, where every other record label is going to have big reservations.

If GNR put out 5-6 new songs that get people excited, the offers will come in. Otherwise he's better off with Geffen and continuing to play live. Just some of the things Prince was frustrated about, his decision to not record new music, he's waiting to see what pans out with piracy laws (pretty much what Duff wrote) and his master tape ownership. I think Axl's at the point where he's waiting to see what happens with that, so he can make money off the recordings, as well as fielding offers from the record companies.

But in the meantime, GNR have the ability to self-release new songs. I think an EP's worth of music over the next year or two would work in their favor, and maybe one or two on top of that for the soundtracks.

Another reason is because Axl thinks he makes enough cash with the Greatest Hits tour so there's no reason for him to make significant efforts to do more than that...

That's another possibility. :shrugs:

Ding ding ding!!!!

That would be more plausible if Axl hadn't stated himself that he wants to put new material out.

Ali

Exactly. People who think Axl's going to only tour on the back catalogue from here on out have obviously missed pretty much everyone in the band, including Axl's, recent interviews. New music is coming. What form it will take is anyone's guess at this point. But yes, I really do believe it's coming.

DJ Ashba mentionned a new album two years ago...

Two years ago !

Two years after, Bumble confirmed they have yet to spend a single minute in a studio together in writing mode.

:shrugs:

That's all fine and well, but they are not Axl. And, none of that speaks to future plans. Yes, they haven't been in the studio YET. That doesn't mean that they won't in the future be in the studio to work on new material.

Ali

DJ Ashba mentionned a new album two years ago...

Two years ago !

Two years after, Bumble confirmed they have yet to spend a single minute in a studio together in writing mode.

:shrugs:

I'm talking about the album and a half worth of tracks that have already been recorded and, other than possible mixing and mastering, is complete.

You have to consider that if in late 2008 Axl was thinking about releasing it the following year, I would probably wager that in 2012 it's more or less ready to go and can be put out pretty much whenever Axl comes to terms with the label(s) for a release.

Oh that album ?

Yes, in 2012, an album recorded in 2002 has yet to be released but there's still hope.

Axl recorded a good deal of the vocals for CD before the year 2000, (See the 1999 IRS, TWAT, Catcher demos). Did that stop him from releasing it in 2008? Why would he change his thinking concerning the other unreleased tracks, which we've known for years, even prior to CD, would appear on the following album(s).

What factual evidence, and not simply your opinion, do we have to believe Axl will just bury these songs forever just cuz, you know, they're "old"?

Edited by sofine11