You simply cannot appreciate 'New Guns'

31illusions

I have to admit i was never a real big fan of New Guns until I went to see them live. It takes seeing them live now, to appreciate them.

I loved seeing the band. I was impressed with Richard, DJ and Bumblefoot and how much they enjoy playing to the fans. They're very fan

friendly. The band is touring alot and doing a good job at it too. I look forward to hearing what these guys come up with for the next CD!

I agree. I'm not a big concert goer (don't find you get much value for ticket prices these days), but I've never regretted spending the thousands of dollars I've spent seeing GNR as many times as I have over the past 11 years (seen 'em 14 times, not counting Philly '02). Moreover, I know a lot of non or casual fans who have seen them in the last few years and have been blown away.

I think they do a much better job putting the whole show together than they use to. Particularly compared to the 2002, the pacing for shows the past few years is much better. The guitar solos fit better into the shows and they no longer string four or five new songs in a row like they use to. I remember seeing them in Detroit in '02 when they played four or five new songs in a row while splicing guitar solos here and there. Completely took the crowd out of it. Moreover, Axl no longer leaves the stage any chance he gets like he did in 2002. Now, if there's a brief guitar solo or instrumental section, he stays on stage and keeps the energy up rather than slipping away like he use to.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand, I agree this band kicks ass live. It's just a shame that they can't be a little more productive in getting new material out to fans who are dying to hear it. Hopefully we'll get some new stuff some time this year.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

One thing that always bugged me about this new band is they need two lead guitarist. Seems pretty strange too me. I think it would sound better as a 5 piece or (6 piece with Dizzy). Currently it is like 8 people right? Also, it makes it more difficult to figure out who is playing what. They are a good GNR cover band I give them that. They also do seem to enjoy playing for the fans so that is great too. For me the biggest let down has been Axl's vocals for Chinese Democracy the album. I think Axl's voice worked better with the old band.

I agree that seeing the new band live does make you appreciate them more. It gives Axl a way to preform the old songs and it can be an amazing experience to see Axl live. At the same time it just makes me want a reunion more. The new band seems more mechanical and has less of a soul to it. Maybe because it takes 8 guys to make the music of what used to be 6. If Axl could get his old style of singing and vocal strength back that would help. He seems to be mickey moused or on helium at times. Just hope he can build up that voice and get his grove back.

Axl's new GNR needs to start releasing records and promoting them. Or give us a reunion.

Edited by rocker rockstar

The new band seems more mechanical and has less of a soul to it. Maybe because it takes 8 guys to make the music of what used to be 6.

It takes 8 guys to properly play the Chinese Democracy material. Given the sheer size of the band they have to "negotiate" their way rather carefully through the Old Guns material (i.e. trading off solos, etc.) though- I give you that. That said- with the immense talent in the current band they could easily drop down to a 6 man line-up with only two guitarists and one keyboardist and crush the Old Guns material without batting an eyelash...

The new band seems more mechanical and has less of a soul to it. Maybe because it takes 8 guys to make the music of what used to be 6.

It takes 8 guys to properly play the Chinese Democracy material.

Sort of. You're kind of right and also sort of wrong. When I saw them in Hamilton in November I noticed several times instruments (strings, synths) and backing vocals that were being produced through tracks. Having that many people up on stage helps give off the illusion that everything is live (when it's clear that some stuff, particularly songs off Chinese Democracy, are tracked). To properly play some of the CD material you'd need at least three or four more keyboardists and/or an orchestra.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tracks as it helps fill in the sounds and create an overall superior tonal experience. But if they're already tracking some stuff, they could track most of Pitman's parts and some guitar parts if and when you need more than two guitarists. Not saying that's the way I'd go, but it could be done. All I'm saying is that considering they're not producing everything live anyway, they could simply add more to the tracks.

Cheers,

Andrew

They really need to do another album, Chinese Democracy was great and all but it was really the 2001 to 2002 and 2006 lineup mashed together. Buckethead reigns supreme on the album with TWAT but Bumblefoot needs to one up him for those who felt his insane Solo on Shacklers was not enough.

Sort of. You're kind of right and also sort of wrong. When I saw them in Hamilton in November I noticed several times instruments (strings, synths) and backing vocals that were being produced through tracks. Having that many people up on stage helps give off the illusion that everything is live (when it's clear that some stuff, particularly songs off Chinese Democracy, are tracked). To properly play some of the CD material you'd need at least three or four more keyboardists and/or an orchestra.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tracks as it helps fill in the sounds and create an overall superior tonal experience. But if they're already tracking some stuff, they could track most of Pitman's parts and some guitar parts if and when you need more than two guitarists. Not saying that's the way I'd go, but it could be done. All I'm saying is that considering they're not producing everything live anyway, they could simply add more to the tracks.

Cheers,

Andrew

All old GnR material had at least 3 guitar tracks at any given moment. Having 3 guitar players makes the live experience closer to the recorded experience. You can support tracking all you want. Pittman triggers the tracking. Instead of having some unsung hero that we never hear about doing it like Godsmack's 2nd guitar player and Metallica's 3rd, GnR give him a spot on the stage and he happens to trigger stuff with a keyboard. All this "it takes 3 guitar players to play what Slash and Izzy used to" shit is ignorance and it's really starting to get old.

Edit: from this perspective, it seems like a lot of people would prefer just Axl onstage with a backing track, like every pop artist out there.

Edited by GnRDuff1

I see it like this. Old Guns, had layers of guitars in their music as well. Listen to Mr Brownstone or November Rain and you can hear the layers of music. When played live, it was only Rhythm guitar, Lead, and Bass though. It was a very basic, old school, rock and roll. Now, the band plays every part and you get that layer of music and they make it sound incredible.

Everyone I know who's been a nay-sayer of current Guns and gone to see them live has changed their mind. They still swear by old Guns but even my friend who loves Slayer more than any band, has said that Guns N' Roses topped Slayer's performances.

Cheers,

Andrew

All old GnR material had at least 3 guitar tracks at any given moment. Having 3 guitar players makes the live experience closer to the recorded experience. You can support tracking all you want. Pittman triggers the tracking. Instead of having some unsung hero that we never hear about doing it like Godsmack's 2nd guitar player and Metallica's 3rd, GnR give him a spot on the stage and he happens to trigger stuff with a keyboard. All this "it takes 3 guitar players to play what Slash and Izzy used to" shit is ignorance and it's really starting to get old.

Edit: from this perspective, it seems like a lot of people would prefer just Axl onstage with a backing track, like every pop artist out there.

Good post. Three guitarists plus Pitman makes the sound fuller. They give you our moneysworth

I have to admit i was never a real big fan of New Guns until I went to see them live. It takes seeing them live now, to appreciate them.

I loved seeing the band. I was impressed with Richard, DJ and Bumblefoot and how much they enjoy playing to the fans. They're very fan

friendly. The band is touring alot and doing a good job at it too. I look forward to hearing what these guys come up with for the next CD!

Alot of you know my feelings regarding original GnR vs this current version. With that said, this current band was awesome when I saw them last fall. They did a kick ass job and were definately having fun.

As far as your statement "I look forward to hearing what these guys come up with for the next CD!" I wouldn't hold your breath. Any "new" material will likely be unreleased tracks from the CD sessions. JMO though.