Van Halen 1st week sales vs Chines Democracy 1st week sales

GNFR2003

You can't compare the hype around VH's latest to the decade of hype and mystique Axl had with CD.

CD was always going to have strong initial sales no matter what. I truly believe they shoud have never streamed the whole thing over Myspace beforehand, it probably would've went to number 1 based on curiosity alone. I do feel the end result would have been the same though.

I have been saying this since the album came out tbh. And especially recently. Althouh i wonder if being available on iTunes would have had the same effect on people, with the :30 clips or however long they are.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Van Halen album is fucking amazing! I hope Axl's been listening to it. And as much as I dislike some of the lyrics to Tattoo, it is a way better first single than Chinese Democracy.

I sincerely hope you are kidding... Scraped(which I regard as the worst song on Chidem) mops the floor with Tattoo....

The Van Halen album is fucking amazing! I hope Axl's been listening to it. And as much as I dislike some of the lyrics to Tattoo, it is a way better first single than Chinese Democracy.

I sincerely hope you are kidding... Scraped(which I regard as the worst song on Chidem) mops the floor with Tattoo....

Scraped isn't really a single though. And Chinese Democracy is a a terrible song with no hook, chorus or memorable guitar solo. Oh yeah, EVH is the man, too.

Edited by ITW 2012

Scraped isn't really a single though. And Chinese Democracy is a a terrible song with no hook, chorus or memorable guitar solo. Oh yeah, EVH is the man, too.

I was using Scraped as a reference point though. I think even Chinese Democracy smokes the hell out of Tattoo, I personally think Tattoo is a terrible song... EVH can play, not doubt about it though.

ITW2012,man you can go on Vh fan forum and talkin shits.Cd is amazing record,and also you can suck whole mygnrforum.com members di...

Why are you so threatened? I like CD better as an album, but the Van Halen album is better as a fun time party record with kick ass guitar riffs and solos.

Edited by ITW 2012

I was using Scraped as a reference point though. I think even Chinese Democracy smokes the hell out of Tattoo, I personally think Tattoo is a terrible song... EVH can play, not doubt about it though.

Vocals aside, Tattoo is a way better instrumentally sounding song than Chinese Democracy.

Vocals aside, Tattoo is a way better instrumentally sounding song than Chinese Democracy.

I respectfully disagree. Tattoo is just a variant of old 12 bar blues rhythm. Chinese Democracy uses an alternate tuning and has sliding chords in the verse. At least some deviancy is evident in Chinese Democracy.

Van Halen's album is much better than CD.

:lol:

Cool one bro. Where do you get the pot that you smoke?

As long as Axl performs, regardless of who with, it is GNR to me. Everyone else is replaceable.

nah, that's just lunacy.

:rolleyes:

I still listen to Chinese Democracy daily, and I am still discovering hidden treasures within nearly every song.

Ali

That's the thing. I absolutely love everything from Old Guns. But, I can't help listening to CD every day.

I listened to Van Halen's latest, and thought it was excellent. The first true hard rock album in quite sometime. Tattoos doesn't give it enough justice, and it baffles me why it's the first single or even on the record at all. Quite clearly the weakest song on the record.

I like CD for what it is, but ADKOT just seems to flow a lot better from song to song, while one song on CD is drastically different from the next, showing diversity isn't always a helper. ADKOT also seems more like a band effort compared to CD, where it's clearly all about Axl and is a bit too "Woe is me" in the majority of the songs. Everybody shines pretty equally on new Van Halen. Even, God help me, Wolfgang. Songs on CD, it's very...clustered, and you can't really tell the difference between guitar parts (except for solos), or even hear bass on some songs.

It's very fun, stripped down rock music that doesn't take itself too seriously. And that is what I think Axl fans really need to hear next from the nu guys. Not a carbon copy of Appetite, but more simplicity in terms of sounds, and less over the top production. If anything, ADKOT proves sometimes less is more.

Edited by BS11290

If you cut out David Lee Roth Van Halen's new album is rhytmically better for the heavier songs. Roth's singing style isn't that great now that he's close to 60. Just shows he hasn't evolved much as a singer. Neither album has a classic rock riff or any classic rock song that will stick in your head over and over "Tattoo" will never be heard again in less then 6 months.. At least Chinese has Street of Dreams and This I love as great power ballads. The one upped VH there.

As for the 26 years of hype. Van Halen didn't have 26 years of hype. They had 3 weeks of Hype based on a first album with this guy in 26 years. It's not like in 2001 when Axl says CD is coming and it doesn't show up for a few more years. VH said they were recording in like October last year with a new album now. Anything before that was just speculation and rumours. GNR actually had a decade of hype towards CD, Van Halen's selling stragy was "First album in 26 years." Granted people have probably waited 26 years to here this album get made.

You can't really compare 2008 with 2012. Record sales are decreasing every year. There was barely any legal streaming services in 2008.

Are you kidding, right? There was several legal streaming and downloads services already since 2001.

Uhm, it's definitely exploded the last couple of years.

If you cut out David Lee Roth Van Halen's new album is rhytmically better for the heavier songs. Roth's singing style isn't that great now that he's close to 60. Just shows he hasn't evolved much as a singer. Neither album has a classic rock riff or any classic rock song that will stick in your head over and over "Tattoo" will never be heard again in less then 6 months.. At least Chinese has Street of Dreams and This I love as great power ballads. The one upped VH there.

As for the 26 years of hype. Van Halen didn't have 26 years of hype. They had 3 weeks of Hype based on a first album with this guy in 26 years. It's not like in 2001 when Axl says CD is coming and it doesn't show up for a few more years. VH said they were recording in like October last year with a new album now. Anything before that was just speculation and rumours. GNR actually had a decade of hype towards CD, Van Halen's selling stragy was "First album in 26 years." Granted people have probably waited 26 years to here this album get made.

Well, in all fairness, nothing "classical" or that packed with impact came from CD. After about the third month, CD was pretty much completely taken off the radio. I think VH still has a chance to have a powerful single, but Tattoo was not what they should've started off with. Literally every song on the album is better imo.

Other than that, completely agree with your second paragraph.

ITW2012,man you can go on Vh fan forum and talkin shits.Cd is amazing record,and also you can suck whole mygnrforum.com members di...

He Is allowed to express his opinion. If he thinks one album Is better then another, that Is his opinion and doesn't warrent a comment telling him to suck the entire boards di...(unless of course he Is into that type of thing, which In that case, I choose to not participate. No offense ITW2012) He also doesn't deserve to be called a cupcake, or any other off the wall names that some members of the board have been throwing around this past week. Just because someone has a difference In opinion, doesn't make them a cupcake. Now back on topic, I think both albums were decent, with neither, living up to past releases. I would go with Chinese Democracy as far as song quality and ADKOT for those amazing guitar riffs. What more can be said of Eddie Van Halen that hasn't already been said.

Tattoo? one of the worst singles ive ever heard. Everything in it feels uninspired and even Eddies solo is recycled and predictable. But i guess most of you love these generic 80's hair metal-ish boring songs anyway so this would be better than CD for you, no doubt.

Another thing CD and Truth have in common. Generic lead singles. Yes we all known Chinese Democracy is a good song but it is the most generic sounding song on the album.

I know this will sound weird coming from me but it doesn't feel like a return of Van Halen because Michael Anthony is not there.

Tattoo? one of the worst singles ive ever heard. Everything in it feels uninspired and even Eddies solo is recycled and predictable. But i guess most of you love these generic 80's hair metal-ish boring songs anyway so this would be better than CD for you, no doubt.

Yawn. Eddie's solos on ADKOT mop the floor with anything on Chinese Democracy.

Another thing CD and Truth have in common. Generic lead singles. Yes we all known Chinese Democracy is a good song but it is the most generic sounding song on the album.

I know this will sound weird coming from me but it doesn't feel like a return of Van Halen because Michael Anthony is not there.

So its not a return of Van Halen because there is no Michael Anthony, but CD is the return of GNR without Slash, Duff, Izzy, etc.? Great theory we have here.