Check out my photos of The Darkness

Stiff Competition

Glad you had a good time. :)

What kind of camera do you use for your pictures during shows, mainly?

Canon T2i, usually with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens.

This was actually the first show I shot with my T2i, I used to use an XTi.

I got a T2i after Christmas (I'm done with Olympus, mainly due to their extremely poor customer service). This is the extremely cheap 50mm f/1.8 you were shooting on? I've read it's a great lens to have, both because it's a great lens and because you can use it in high-risk environments (i.e. concerts) without worrying about using an expensive lens. This has cemented my desire to get one of these, beautiful shots ;)

Edited by Powerage5

I got a T2i after Christmas (I'm done with Olympus, mainly due to their extremely poor customer service). This is the extremely cheap 50mm f/1.8 you were shooting on? I've read it's a great lens to have, both because it's a great lens and because you can use it in high-risk environments (i.e. concerts) without worrying about using an expensive lens. This has cemented my desire to get one of these, beautiful shots ;)

Yep that's the one. It's about 100 bucks. This is the second one I've had. It's just cheap because it is a fixed length lens, great for concerts though. It's f/1.8, so it is ideal for low light situations. I also have a 30mm f/1.4 sigma, because sometimes the 50mm is a little too zoomed in. I actually wish I would have had the 30mm for this show.

Yep that's the one. It's about 100 bucks. This is the second one I've had. It's just cheap because it is a fixed length lens, great for concerts though. It's f/1.8, so it is ideal for low light situations. I also have a 30mm f/1.4 sigma, because sometimes the 50mm is a little too zoomed in. I actually wish I would have had the 30mm for this show.

Cool, good to know :) I don't have much experience with the Sigma lenses either, do you like them?

Cool, good to know :) I don't have much experience with the Sigma lenses either, do you like them?

It's pretty good. I prefer the Canon though. I also like the 50mm because it's very small and makes it easy to sneak into venues.

and BS, yeah that's the one.

It's pretty good. I prefer the Canon though. I also like the 50mm because it's very small and makes it easy to sneak into venues.

and BS, yeah that's the one.

Yea, that'll really come in handy on venues that don't do a really harsh search at the doors.

Interesting, I might have to look into investing into one of them :)

If you're looking to get a D-SLR for a variety of purposes, it's a great camera. I love mine in the somewhat limited time I've had to use it over the past 2 months. However, it's really not your best option strictly for a concert camera, as it is a D-SLR, and most venues won't allow it. I'd still recommend the S95 if you want something for concert use. The f/2.0 aperture does wonders in concerts, and (usually) no one will try to hassle you over a compact P&S. It packs a serious punch for a camera it's size ;)

I can't find the S95 though :(

If you've got a good recommendation for an equal model, I'd look into that, but the S95 isn't being produced anymore.

Amazon still carries it. Have you actually checked in stores? I didn't get mine until August, I think it was already out of production back then...

I've always had really good luck with camera equipment on eBay also, to be honest.

I don't think Canon had a direct successor to the S95, and I'm almost certain they don't offer anything else with the f/2.0 aperture. I can research that tomorrow though ;)

Edited by Powerage5

If you've got a good recommendation for an equal model, I'd look into that, but the S95 isn't being produced anymore.

Amazon still carries it. Have you actually checked in stores? I didn't get mine until August, I think it was already out of production back then...

I've always had really good luck with camera equipment on eBay also, to be honest.

I don't think Canon had a direct successor to the S95, and I'm almost certain they don't offer anything else with the f/2.0 aperture. I can research that tomorrow though ;)

Well I was trying to get it at work (Best Buy) as I could possibly have a discount, and if not, then I can use my in-store card and get 0% interest financing on it. So that's why I always link to Best Buy's website :lol:

Well I was trying to get it at work (Best Buy) as I could possibly have a discount, and if not, then I can use my in-store card and get 0% interest financing on it. So that's why I always link to Best Buy's website :lol:

Ah, okay. Like I said, I'll do some research tomorrow and see if there is a successor or will be one in the near future ;)

Ah, okay. Like I said, I'll do some research tomorrow and see if there is a successor or will be one in the near future ;)

Alright, sounds good :thumbsup:

You always have awesome photos. Is it part of your job or something? I was just wondering if security ever gives you a hassle about bringing in a professional quality camera, lenses, etc..?

Thanks but no it's not...well not directly. I do photo editing and graphic design but it doesn't help me get in my camera. I have a good trick where I wrap it up in my sweatshirt and go up holding my sweatshirt like I'm just not wearing it at the moment and they pat me down like normal and don't even think I could have something in there. As for lenses, I stick with my 50mm lens which is about an inch long, so once I'm in and shooting, it doesn't really look too big. I was pretty nervous going to this show actually because they made a guy behind me take his camera back (smiler to mine) and they actually patted the guy in front of me's sweatshirt down as he was holding it like I was. So I just put my keys, phone, wallet and ticket in the same hand as my sweatshirt hoping it'd throw them off thinking "oh this kid already has everything out" and it worked! My only regret is I wish I would of shot Foxy Shazam at this show but I didn't want to take the risk of getting my camera taken away/having to go back to my car before the Darkness came on.