New DJ interview

WhazUp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see i never really seen GNR doing this touring stuff as a good thing.....because they are essentially touring an 11 year old tour we have seen a million times......and i almost looked at it as a totally negative thing in a way because i feared they would just keep doing the same old and they would not progress any further in which ended up happening, it's like this band is a commitment phobe and cant decide on whether it wants to be a real band....it should be clear by now that it is in their best interest to release new music

Edited by amacfantasy

It's sweet, when you think about it. Mr. Ashba is so young and naive. He's talking like a young Robin Finck. So energetic and full of life. Ready to dive head first into recording new material and put out a super duper new album. He either hasn't gotten the hint yet, or he knows and doesn't care and just wants to say whatever he has to say to keep the checks coming in.

Edited by OTHAFA

I cannot believe that songs that have been in the vault are still going to be reworked. By the time The General, Silkworms and Thyme come out they will feature 6 different guitarists and have 12 instrumental layers on top of eachother...

Personally I really, really want all fresh 2012 studio takes, using existing songs as a base for the album and new material mixed in with it

I'd rather have those songs released as is. Write new songs with the new guys, but keep the "old" songs how they are...I didn't like that aspect with some of the songs on chinese democracy....maybe that's axl's way of making the guys feel like they're a band...like letting bumblefoot do the solo at the end of catcher...like, he doesn't want to get them too involved, but he'll give them a few sections of a few songs to do their thing. I'd like to see the other 30 songs or however many there were that were left over from the CD recording process released how they are, without input from the new guys. Then write some new material with the new band.

If they just do the same thing with the next album that they did with chinese, I, and I'm sure many others, will not change their opinion that this isn't really a band.

Cancel the fuckin' tour then. Axl is sick and it seems his voice needs rest so take a rest and get in the damn studio!

But who's going to pay for the recordings? Do they have a contract? Is there a label that still foots the bill for recording costs? If not, then that explains why they have to tour. And if you're a fan who wants new music, then you should buy a ticket for every show. Even ones you can't attend. This is how we will see CD volumes II-IV.

Not that Guns N' Roses haven't always been thought of as an A-list band, as evidenced by the scheduled April 14 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Keyboardist Dizzy Reed told Billboard.com that all the original members of the band -- including former lead guitarist and Rose nemesis Slash -- will attend.

"I have no history or beef with Slash," said Ashba. "I don't know the guy personally. I have a lot of respect for him and all the guys in the band, for their musicianship.

And besides, said Ashba, it's the future of the band that most interests him the most.

"I grew up on bands like Guns N' Roses," he said. "I have been approached to join many, many big bands throughout my career. This is the first band that I felt in my heart that I could bring something to the table. I have been watching what's been going on over the years. The music has always touched me in a way. It's very inspiring to me, so as a songwriter and producer it means more than just coming in and playing guitar.

Rose, he said, has something of a treasure trove of songs he's written in the past few years. Combined with the dozen or so song Ashba has written for Guns, it seems there will be plenty of fodder with which to work.

"It's a big challenge for me. It's fun and exciting to me to get in and work on new songs,"said Ashba, demurring when asked if there's a target date for a new album. "Like I said, my goal was never to join the band to just play guitar but to sit down and write some songs with Axl and my goal is to put together the next best Guns N' Roses record. I think that is everybody's goal in the band."

The goal has been put on a hold just a bit because of the band's heavy touring schedule. That should change in the next several weeks, said Ashba.

Didny DJ say in a previous interview that he and slash are cool and had dinner together or something like that? I like DJ and think hes been great for the band but this guy is all over the place in interviews

"It's a matter of sitting down with Axl," he said. "He's got a pretty clear vision of where he wants to go, but we've been touring so much [we haven't been able to work on songs]. For me, as a producer and songwriter, it's trying to bring his vision to life. I'll make it mine as well but really it's up to him to set the direction and then we'll bring that to life. And that's the fun part."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/entertainment/music/2012/02/guns-n-roses-go-clubbing-dc/297716

Cancel the fuckin' tour then. Axl is sick and it seems his voice needs rest so take a rest and get in the damn studio!

But who's going to pay for the recordings? Do they have a contract? Is there a label that still foots the bill for recording costs? If not, then that explains why they have to tour.

Since reports say that the record company stopped funding the recording in February 2004, it suggests that Axl did indeed fund all the recording that was done later including Bumblefoot's additions to the songs in 2006. It seems plausible that the current touring is meant to generate some money for future work in the studio either to add DJ to the existing songs or to write some new ones.

We should send Axl a message that a lot of his fans will forgive him for canceling a tour for health reasons. He made his point, he's got it, but he needs rest

I wouldn't forgive cancelling this tour 'cause FINALLY I'm going to spend ~3 hours in PARADISE and see AN ANGEL this summer! rock3

Edited by Saphyra

"It's a matter of sitting down with Axl," he said. "He's got a pretty clear vision of where he wants to go, but we've been touring so much [we haven't been able to work on songs]. For me, as a producer and songwriter, it's trying to bring his vision to life. I'll make it mine as well but really it's up to him to set the direction and then we'll bring that to life. And that's the fun part."

Well stop fucking touring then, let Axl rest his voice and work on tooling these songs.

Exactly.

From what I remember, Merck said the 2006 tours were exactly this: a way to fund some studio time and finish the record.

But still, Im sure they have alternatives, like DJ's or BBF's recording studios. I know they are not like the big ones, but if Foo Fightera managed to pull out a good album from their own gear, why not GNR?

We should send Axl a message that a lot of his fans will forgive him for canceling a tour for health reasons. He made his point, he's got it, but he needs rest

I wouldn't forgive cancelling this tour 'cause FINALLY I'm going to spend ~3 hours in PARADISE and see AN ANGEL this summer! rock3

So you're dying, right?

In his previous interview, Slash and him were friends, they had tons of respect for each other and they just had dinner together.

Now he doesn't know the guy.

Ashba maybe fried too many brain cells over the years.

Ashba: I've actually had dinner with Slash, and y'know, it's cool. I always put myself in the fans' shoes. They come to see all of those great Appetite songs, and who am I to change it up? I'm a fan too, so my motivation is to stay true to Slash's sound.

http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/interview-guns-n-roses-dj-ashba/Content?oid=2386081

In his previous interview, Slash and him were friends, they had tons of respect for each other and they just had dinner together.

Ashba maybe fried too many brain cells over the years.

Ashba: I've actually had dinner with Slash, and y'know, it's cool. I always put myself in the fans' shoes. They come to see all of those great Appetite songs, and who am I to change it up? I'm a fan too, so my motivation is to stay true to Slash's sound.

http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/interview-guns-n-roses-dj-ashba/Content?oid=2386081

He had a dinner with the guy. That's not the same as saying I'm friends with someone or that they have tons of mutual respect for each other. Maybe it's just poor wording on DJ's part, but I've had dinners with lots of people that I wouldn't say I'm friends with or I know personally to any real extent.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Oh shit, I had forgotten about that. What the hell DJ? :lol:

Very weird.

Anyways, yes it's very unusual to see the forum actually wanting them to cancel the tour. Axl's sickness might just be a flu or nasty cold or something. Enough to make him feel like shit but not enough for him to say he needs to cancel the tour. I say finish this tour this summer, then hit the studio big time.

I keep reading these "no money for recording" comments and seriously.... do you guys believe Axl doesn't have the money to pay for studio time? The guy has money enough to buy his own fucking studio. He can record an album at his house with the greatest engineers and best gear on Earth. Since 2002 they've been touring and touring and what does that generate? More money.

Maybe some tours were part of legal issues, but I hardly believe he needs money. Those 13 million dollars for CD are part of what Axl has in the bank. He's millionaire, for God's sake.

Anyone can make a great sounding record nowadays, for very little money. It's not a problem for Axl, not a reason to keep touring and touring. He just doesn't want to release anything right now. He prefers to play the hits and go with the flow... have a good time, pay his friends and that's it.

I'm sure the other guys would love to play their own songs but, with the money they probably get, they are some happy mofos right now.

Oh shit, I had forgotten about that. What the hell DJ? :lol:

Very weird.

Anyways, yes it's very unusual to see the forum actually wanting them to cancel the tour. Axl's sickness might just be a flu or nasty cold or something. Enough to make him feel like shit but not enough for him to say he needs to cancel the tour. I say finish this tour this summer, then hit the studio big time.

This.

I really don't expect any new material till sometime next year at the absolute earliest, most likely 2014 or 2015. Axl is pretty content touring the old music and making some cash atm, and if the fans turn up then fair enough.

Edited by EhEh

I think they are overdoing it again.

Ashba, here's my suggestion for you: Ask Axl to send you 10 or so songs so you and the band can make it your own. I assume he has lyrics almost done for 10. Record everything again with the band! You guys are fucking nailing it live. I mean, seriously. You are one of the best bands live out there right now, if not the best! When Axl is at his best you can't be topped. I am pretty sure whatever you guys record all together now will sound better than the mix and match in CD (don't get me wrong, I still love the album).

I also believe a "Lies" vibe to the album would be helpful if you care about mainstream success. Think of 3-5 acoustic driven songs. Go a step further Stadium Arcadium and 21st Century Breakdown which were the best mainstream rock albums in the last decade, IMHO. Definitely don't go last Van Halen album route which in GNR case would be 'oh, let's redo AFD'.

I bet during the recording sessions more ideas will come up. Give me 5. Bounce it back to Axl to come up with lyrics for 2 or 3. Release a single or two until the end of the year. Drop the album next year. Profit! thumbsup.gif