What would you like Slash to do? (musically)

FuddMckagan

I've seen a few people on here saying how they think what Slash is doing now is too "generic Rock N Roll". What kind of thing would you prefer him to do?

I've said before that I'd love to see him to a totally instrumental album, I think it would be great as he'd have no singer to hide behind so his guitar would have to do the "talking" through the whole album. I'd also be interested in seeing what he could do with a song writer outside of his normal "rock n roll" thing. He said in an interview that it'd be cool to work with Trent Reznor on something, and that's something I'd REALLY like to hear.

What about you guys? Where would you like to see him go musically?

Personally I think I'd get pretty bored with a full instrumental cd.

He's always said he's more of a band guy and I think that's where he really shines.

I don't know if getting dark and moody-broody with Reznor is really his thing...maybe a song collaboration,but I tend to think that Slash would enter a "this is getting to be a wank" mode if he did too much with Reznor.

He's a let's-rock-the-fuck-out kinda guy and I'm just fine with that.

Bono can save the world...I go see Slash for a few beers and a damn good time.

Something similar to 90's Anthrax + Pantera + BLS. Something with a mid-slow tempo and low tuning (somewhere between Drop C# and Drop G#), with deep verses with some modtones (chorus, flanger, phaser) and a heavy groove (with some slide-ins/ slide/outs) on the chorus n bridge a nice slow bluesy solo on the middle followed by a faster solo. He could try using a singer with a lower pitched vocal, John Bush or Ryan McCombs, for example.

Black Lodge meets It's Five O' Clock Somewhere, oh yeah! :thumbsup:

He could use this axe right here:

wweow5.jpg

The Les Paul Baritone, Beautiful and badass guitar... if only it had a Floyd or an axcess version... and a SD DD + JazzN Set... 27 frets would also be great.

I got get one for myself :(

I would love to hear him do a straight up blues record with guests like BB King, Jeff Beck, Clapton, etc.

Yeah, I like to see him release instrumental albums like Jeff Beck did. He is a huge fan of him and like Beck he can't sing.

He needs to make a soulful cover like Beck did with Cause We Ended As Lovers and Stevie Ray Vaughan did with Little Wing.

Dude that man hasn't released anything inspiring since Snakepit 1 what is up with that?

Something with Axl. I love Slash , but Myles' voice just does nothing for me at all. Axl has stated he had to push Slash to do Estranged,November Rain,Patience, and all the piano based songs. I believe Axl can tap into Slash's potential more than any other artist. With that being said, I know itis not going to happen. Just answering the question,which I think is a cool thread. Hopefully there are some interesting answers, becuase mine is obvious and far fetched.

I would love to hear him do a straight up blues record with guests like BB King, Jeff Beck, Clapton, etc.

Yeah, I like to see him release instrumental albums like Jeff Beck did. He is a huge fan of him and like Beck he can't sing.

He needs to make a soulful cover like Beck did with Cause We Ended As Lovers and Stevie Ray Vaughan did with Little Wing.

Dude that man hasn't released anything inspiring since Snakepit 1 what is up with that?

I agree with this comment. The first snakepit could have been an amazing GNR album with Axl n Duff. I believe Axl evetually realized this too, because he tried to sue for the songs back.

I kinda liked his approach to the first Snakepit album. It was straight up rock, but it was less polished and some of the songs diverted from the usual verse, chorus, verse structure, which made them fun and interesting. The bass line/jam outros to Dime Store Rock and Good to be Alive are good examples. I miss that kinda Slash on record

LA

Edited by LA_0013

I agree with this comment. The first snakepit could have been an amazing GNR album with Axl n Duff. I believe Axl evetually realized this too, because he tried to sue for the songs back.

what?, did he?

anyways on topic, good thread, interesting answers...

short answers,

-Instrumental CD, 1 at least

-Snakepit (5 o' clock) style disc

-VR with Izzy

i would probably never play anything else for the rest of my life, lol

Me too. A blues album would be cool.

I was actually just going to post the same thing.

Something with Axl. I love Slash , but Myles' voice just does nothing for me at all.

Myles was hit and miss for me at first but he has grown on me.. I am certain that an album with singing all his own material will be impressive. Not sure how you can not like Myles though and like Axl's voice these days.. Axl's voice has become pretty awful..

Me too. A blues album would be cool.

I was actually just going to post the same thing.

Something with Axl. I love Slash , but Myles' voice just does nothing for me at all.

Myles was hit and miss for me at first but he has grown on me.. I am certain that an album with singing all his own material will be impressive. Not sure how you can not like Myles though and like Axl's voice these days.. Axl's voice has become pretty awful..

Axl's voice live is great with enough vodka. iam sure Axl could still produce an amazing studio voie, but who knows really. Most of CD is old and the vocals on that album were horrendous. What i meant was that Axl pushed Slash to be a classic player, not just a great player.

What i meant was that Axl pushed Slash to be a classic player, not just a great player.

Hollywood Rose was really going places before Slash showed up wasn't it?

Seemed Axl needed that kick in the pants from Slash as well to get something good going as much as Slash needed it.

Something with Axl. I love Slash , but Myles' voice just does nothing for me at all. Axl has stated he had to push Slash to do Estranged,November Rain,Patience, and all the piano based songs. I believe Axl can tap into Slash's potential more than any other artist. With that being said, I know itis not going to happen. Just answering the question,which I think is a cool thread. Hopefully there are some interesting answers, becuase mine is obvious and far fetched.

I don't think Slash needs Axl necessarily, but collaborating again with Izzy might do the trick. I liked Slash's last record a lot, but I agree sometimes his stuff borders on kinda generic sounding R&R. I felt the same with Velvet Revolver when they were around and only recently started delving a little into their library beyond the singles ("Messages" is amazing).

Anyway, with Mr. Stradlin, I think you get their dueling guitars going. Listen to how cool "Ghost" sounds. Now that I think about it, I wonder why they never did a low-budget digital-only release like Izzy routinely does. I think it would be really cool to see Duff, Izzy and Slash all collaborate on something together, the three of them. Don't know who would do vocals.

I don't think Slash needs Axl necessarily, but collaborating again with Izzy might do the trick. I liked Slash's last record a lot, but I agree sometimes his stuff borders on kinda generic sounding R&R. I felt the same with Velvet Revolver when they were around and only recently started delving a little into their library beyond the singles ("Messages" is amazing).

Anyway, with Mr. Stradlin, I think you get their dueling guitars going. Listen to how cool "Ghost" sounds. Now that I think about it, I wonder why they never did a low-budget digital-only release like Izzy routinely does. I think it would be really cool to see Duff, Izzy and Slash all collaborate on something together, the three of them. Don't know who would do vocals.

i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR HOW VELVET REVOLVER SOUNDED WHEN THEY JAMMED WITH JOSH TODD AND KEITH NELSON - BEFORE THEY GOT TOO BIG FOR THEIR BOOTS AND STARTED TO THINK ABOUT COMMERCIAL APPEAL.

WHILE THEY WERE JUST JAMMING BECAUSE THE CHEMISTRY WAS GOOD.