Slash - You're a Lie (Full Song)

Naupis

It's not bad, but it's not great either. I really dug the Slash record, but compared to that it seems a bit....mediocre

Interesting. I thought some of the more rocking numbers on the Slash record (We're All Gonna Die, Beautiful Dangerous etc) were very mediocre. This has potential though IMO

LA

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitarist Slash says his new album Apocalyptic Love is so rock rock-friendly radio stations will not play it

BRACE yourself for the bad news. Slash, one of the world's greatest living guitarists, has made a new record so rock that rock stations probably won't play it.

As fans and industry insiders were given a world exclusive preview of his Apocalyptic Love album at Triple M headquarters this week, there were suggestions the Australian guitar-friendly station won't be adding its songs to their playlist.

"Here in Australia it seems to have been welcomed but in the States there are two speeds - what used to be alternative rock, which is now mainstream rock, and classic rock. There's no in-between," Slash said.

Hard rock fans turned out last weekend for the Soundwave Festival at the Sydney Showgrounds where Slash played with Alter Bridge.

Seeing more than 50,000 black T-shirted and tattooed fans confirmed Slash's faith even as the music industry seems increasingly disinterested in signing new rock acts.

"The more alienated rock becomes, the more I feel I really have to hold the flag," he said.

"I know there's going to be a creative revolution where playing stuff from the heart is going to end up being more important than the cookie cutter commercial stuff.

"This is the time to really stick to your guns."

As well as the new album and an Australian tour in September, Slash fans can expect him to reveal another creative endeavour next year - his first horror movie.

His Slasher Films production company begins shooting its first feature in April and he expects it to hit cinemas in mid-2013.

"I won't be quitting my day job for film because that world moves way too slow but it's a good creative outlet beside music for me," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/guitarist-slash-says-his-new-album-apocalyptic-love-is-so-rock-rock-friendly-radio-stations-will-not-play-it/story-e6frewz0-1226284450017

I am not sure what to make of that interview.

At it sounds like anyone worried about You're a Lie representing an album of generic radio friendly rock no longer has to worry.

Edited by Naupis

Anyone hear Thriller in the song? The radio brought it up today that it is very close, maybe that is why it get's stuck in your head?

Yeah, I mentioned it a couple times already. It's the major fault I find in the song. A bit too reminiscent for my liking. Had they tweaked the second "lie" somehow it would have been OK.

Thriller?? lol.. Ummmm.. NOT! Pretty bad ass video by the way watching them jam out.. Kind of hoping they keep it a four piece band on the road..

they're not. Slash announced that Frank Sidoris from the cabs is filling the rhythm guitarist role. I'm sure Myles will play on the apocalyptic love stuff and anything else they do that he played on during the last tour (i.e. nothing to say, watch this, rise today), but I like him remaining a dedicated front man for any of the GnR, VR, Snakepit stuff that he wasn't playing in on tour.

I guess I can see why people think it's mediocre. But I really like the chorus. I like the entire song the more I listen to it and it's been stuck in my head all day.

It has me pumped for the record, more so than before.

It's been in my fuckin' head the whole day. I still think the chorus sucks.

I don't like, in fact it sounds like modern rock shit.

What's up with those gay guitar melodies during verses, almost every modern rock band is doing it. Chorus is nothing spectacular, sounds like "Thriller" ripp-off with more guitars.

Lyrics are plain stupid , I know it's rock n' roll but nonetheless lyrics are weak compared to classic GN'R, VR, CD or even "Slash" CD.

Solo is average at best and the best part about whole song is opening riff which is huge. But why isn't it in whole song.

I'm Alter Bridge (And I think "Back To Cali" was one of the best songs from first Slash album) fan and their first single of latest album is much better - better riff, better singing, lyrics for a change mean something and solo which is played by Myles is much better than solo in "You're Lie". And I liked "By the Sword" as well

EDIt - I've read that interview with Slash on last page and please can he stop talking this "back to the roots" bullshit. He isn't back to any roots if he was he would make a record with sleazy, bluesy feel like AFD or Snakepit . VR, "Slash" and that single - scream MODERN ROCK, not saying it's a bad thing, just saying that it isn't any. He is not sticking to his guns and he isn't saviour of rock n' roll.

Edited by eye2eye

Relax I was just giving my opinion. And arguments to support it.

By your logic If you are Slash fan you have no right to be critical about his music. That's plain stupid.

I DO NOT insult other members just because they like that particular songs or not. I'm not playing that stupid kindergarten game.

I've listened to this song few times I don' like it. And it has nothing to do with Slash for me that particular song is weak for reasons mentioned above.

And I actually liked some songs from "Slash" CD, whole CD was uninspired and boring for me but it had moments ( "By the Sword", "Back to Cali", "Nothing to Say") and I had great time when I sam Slash with Myles live some time ago. What's more I've bought "Slash", concert tickets for me and my girlfriend and "Live in Stoke" CDs and both VR CDs. So I guess I am not blind hater when I supporting Slash by buying almost everything he puts out and going to shows.

tat2d1 I personally don't like Godsmack, they are big ripp-offs for me. Alice in Chains alike riffing here, James Hetfield scream there, Layne wannabe singing. And I'm not fond of comapring anything to AFD ( though a lot of Slash supporters like to do it when talking about Axl) but I was only comparing lyrics as Myles is good songwriter and those lyrics are really subpar

Edited by eye2eye

Hmm, I'm underwhelmed by this. I dug Slash's solo album but something about this just seems kind of...generic? The solo is decent but nothing out of the ordinary. I have to admit that I don't think I like Myles' voice all the time, and on this track I think the little screams he does during the chorus are annoying. I did like his work on the two or three tracks he did last album though.

Hmm, I'm underwhelmed by this. I dug Slash's solo album but something about this just seems kind of...generic? The solo is decent but nothing out of the ordinary. I have to admit that I don't think I like Myles' voice all the time, and on this track I think the little screams he does during the chorus are annoying. I did like his work on the two or three tracks he did last album though.

That's not Myles screaming in the chorus. That's Todd Kerns.

Edited by uctalum01

That's not Myles screaming in the chorus. That's Todd Kerns.

I actually REALLY like the screams in the chorus. It adds a lot to it.