The Philadelphia Incident

axlsalinger

Figured this could be a separate thread to make sure people see the clip, since this has been a topic of speculation and innuendo ever since December 6, 2002. For those unfamiliar, GNR's ill-fated 2002 tour started with a riot in Vancouver, when it was learned that Axl was still in L.A. early in the day and the promoters pulled the plug, despite the fact that he was on his way there. The tour continued for a month, some shows with sparse attendance but with a number of sellouts as well. On Dec. 5, GNR played a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden which was generally considered to be the best show on the tour. Afterwards, Axl and a group of friends were seen out and about New York. He was apparently refused entry at a particular club due to a no-fur policy (he was wearing a fur coat). Someone claimed he ran into Stephanie Seymour. Lots of rumours about that night.

GNR had 2 shows scheduled December 6 and 8 in Philadelphia. As everyone knows, the opening acts played, the band was there, but Axl never arrived at the venue. The show was eventually canceled and a riot ensued.

Axl claims he was sick, I'm not sure about that but it is certainly possible he asked for the show to be canceled at 6 a.m., but this was not done. He may have felt lied to by his manager and ClearChannel, but unfortunately everybody showed up at the venue except for Axl. The rumour mill suggested that the band's manager had a helicopter on standby, as Axl was still in his hotel room in NYC watching a basketball game, and refused to leave.

Last night (Feb. 27 2012), Axl finally addressed this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjX2R9q1iU

“I already got sued for about, everything I own . . . fuckin’ corporate radio and shit. Now we’re back on tour . . . I did cancel the first show, at six in the morning. My manager told me he canceled it and then didn’t. And then Clear Channel wanted us to fuck up, because they wanted to end the tour. ‘Cause they had some shit going on in Florida or something… I don’t know… a whole bunch of bullshit. But I got really sick; it had nothing to do with fur coats or basketball games, you know. I love Philly. I came to visit here a few times and I really liked it. So I said, ‘OK we’re gonna risk it, what if we can throw in a show in Philly?’ ... So it’s good to be here with you people tonight. I want to apologize for my part of that. You know, so… I’m not saying I’m innocent.”

You know, so… I’m not saying I’m innocent.”

That really stuck out to me, in a good way, just because it's different than Axl just placing the blame on everybody else.

I do believe that he probably did try to postpone/cancel the show early in the morning. I also believe that Clear Channel probably did want to pull the plug due to the lackluster attendance in the smaller markets.

What I don't believe is that they actually wanted a riot, though it did give them a hell of an excuse to cancel the tour. Axl seems to acknowledge this by admitting he's not totally innocent (there was probably more he could have done), but that he's also not totally to blame. It's cool that he even brought it up in the first place.

I give him and the band a lot of credit. It takes some balls to go and play these shows. This show, Montreal '10, Vancouver '11, a return to the O2 in Ireland coming up, and so on.

Is St. Louis next? :lol:

The thing about Philly was, the first show sold out on December 6th, and GNR and Axl were in such high demand in this town then, that they added a 2nd show on the 8th. I know that didn't sell nearly as well, but the fact remains, he could've kept his rep here...it's a shame that he didn't, and I wish he could get it back, but Philly never forgets.

He didn't say he got sued (not in this video anyhow) , he said he couldn't talk about it for about the last 5 years or he would have gotten sued by corporate radio & shit, who was backing their tour.

Yeah, I picked up the quote from one of the articles, listened to it once and corrected a couple of mistakes, but it's hard to make out what he says at the beginning. Here is it again, verbatim:

“... Couldn't talk about shit for 5 years or I would have gotten sued for about everything I own by, fuckin’ corporate radio and shit, that were backing our tour. So I had to shut up. I mean, I did cancel the first show, at six in the morning. But my manager told me he canceled it and then didn’t. And then Clear Channel wanted us to fuck up, because they wanted to end the tour. ‘Cause they had some shit going on in Florida or something… I don’t know, something … a whole bunch of bullshit. But I got really sick; it had nothing to do with fur coats or basketball games or, you know ... I love Philly. I came to visit here a few times and stuff, I really liked it. So on this we decided, ‘OK we’re gonna risk it, what if we can throw in a show in Philly, and we can get in Philly and get out.' (unintelligible) don't go to jail. ... So it’s good to be here with you people tonight. I want to apologize for my part of that. You know, so… I’m not saying I’m innocent.”

That really stuck out to me, in a good way, just because it's different than Axl just placing the blame on everybody else.

I do believe that he probably did try to postpone/cancel the show early in the morning. I also believe that Clear Channel probably did want to pull the plug due to the lackluster attendance in the smaller markets.

What I don't believe is that they actually wanted a riot, though it did give them a hell of an excuse to cancel the tour. Axl seems to acknowledge this by admitting he's not totally innocent (there was probably more he could have done), but that he's also not totally to blame. It's cool that he even brought it up in the first place.

I give him and the band a lot of credit. It takes some balls to go and play these shows. This show, Montreal '10, Vancouver '11, a return to the O2 in Ireland coming up, and so on.

I don't see anywhere in Axlsalinger's transcript where Axl said Clear Channel wanted a riot per se. He's saying they wanted to pull the plug on the tour and this was their out.

Ali

I don't see anywhere in Axlsalinger's transcript where Axl said Clear Channel wanted a riot per se. He's saying they wanted to pull the plug on the tour and this was their out.

Ali

I suppose I wasn't too clear. In the transcript Axl says that Clear Channel wanted a "fuck up" to end the tour. With the knowledge that Axl wasn't going to show up, they probably should have foreseen a riot. If they talked to Axl in advance there was no reason the openers should have still been able to play, at least in my view. Anyways, what I was getting at is I doubt they actually wanted a riot as the "fuck up" but it still gave them the excuse they needed to cancel the tour.

Ali

I suppose I wasn't too clear. In the transcript Axl says that Clear Channel wanted a "fuck up" to end the tour. With the knowledge that Axl wasn't going to show up, they probably should have foreseen a riot. If they talked to Axl in advance there was no reason the openers should have still been able to play, at least in my view. Anyways, what I was getting at is I doubt they actually wanted a riot as the "fuck up" but it still gave them the excuse they needed to cancel the tour.

Agreed, I don't think they wanted a riot. Just, if anything, an out to cancel the tour.

Ali

I think no matter what, it's been ten years, and it is time to move on. He's done the best he could since. He has done multiple tours throughout the world. He has released the album we were all clamoring for. He has chatted with fans on here, etc.

Let's let it go already.

It is hard to know for sure what the true story behind it all was, he's not exactly going to stand there and say "it was totally my fault".

However as you say he has made mention of it, it was 10yrs ago and he seems a changed person from the angry young man who once paced the stage back & forth like a caged lion venting anger at everyone.

These days he's much more fan friendly, puts on a great show, has not cancelled or not shown up for any & sung for 3hrs while sick which would certainly affect his singing, breathing etc.

Kudos to him for the great shows he's putting out there & to the Lebeis family who are supporting him on & off the stage. :thumbsup:

You know, so… I'm not saying I'm innocent."

Only if he promises to leap into the audience like that again to show us he can still do it....:rofl-lol:

All I know is that I had tickets to the Bi-Lo Center in South Carolina the night after the tour was canceled and it took a few weeks to get over what would of been my first GNR show. I remember scouring the internet for updates in those 3 or 4 days between the no show, the riot, and the eventual cancellation. All's well that ends well I suppose, cause I've seen them 3 times since in 3 different cities (none of which in South Carolina), my only regret was not getting to see Buckethead live. But it did make things that much sweeter when the lights went down at the Hammerstien in 2006. Better late then never.