Please keep Ron in your thoughts...

The Glow Inc.

Hey motherfuckers, how about we as the "guns n roses fans" we purport ourselves to be, give Ron credit for not getting strung out on painkillers. I don't think some of you realize what a challenge that is for people with back/spinal issues.

How do we know he isn't strung out on pain pills? Someone here just said Bumblefoot mentioned that he can't even function without pain meds.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey motherfuckers, how about we as the "guns n roses fans" we purport ourselves to be, give Ron credit for not getting strung out on painkillers. I don't think some of you realize what a challenge that is for people with back/spinal issues.

Probably the one time I'll ever agree with you on something. :tongue2:

You're right, it is very hard...especially when you have a legit reason to be prescribed some of the heavy duty opiate painkillers. Let's hope he's not already going down that path.

Guest ben9785

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Bumblefoot basically say it would be pain he'd have to live with the rest of his life and it won't heal? So would time off help?

That's really unfortunate by the way. He does appear to be in a lot of pain. If this were DJ Ashba, I'd say send him home to rest and the live shows wouldn't miss a beat. Bumble is really important to the band though and the best player. But they know better than we do, and they keep adding shows.

Maybe Axl can tell his hired guns to go home and do a little reunion run? haha, just kidding.

No it might not heal completely but he probably can manage it alot better if he gets the right treatment for it. Pain medication blocks out the pain but in the long term the dependency on medication won't help either. He needs to thing long term and concentrate on himself, even if they temporarily replace him for a few shows. Yes he's certainly loyal to Axl being there considering the potential legal issues that will arise if they cancel anything, but at the same time they can always have someone else filling his parts, even standing off sight from the stage, until Ron is in a better shape to go out on tour.

Edited by ben9785

How do we know he isn't strung out on pain pills? Someone here just said Bumblefoot mentioned that he can't even function without pain meds.

Well for starters he wouldn't be wincing in pain and secondly his playing would be sloppy. There's a difference between use and abuse. It's a fine line, to be sure. But like I said, ya see him wincing in the video? That means he's cutting it close on his dosage and is perhaps even well below therapeutic range.

Also, I distinctly remember a quote from Bumble indicating he was using a myriad of approaches to deal with the pain. It was a quote from his twitter or blog or something.

Well for starters he wouldn't be wincing in pain and secondly his playing would be sloppy. There's a difference between use and abuse. It's a fine line, to be sure. But like I said, ya see him wincing in the video? That means he's cutting it close on his dosage and is perhaps even well below therapeutic range.

Also, I distinctly remember a quote from Bumble indicating he was using a myriad of approaches to deal with the pain. It was a quote from his twitter or blog or something.

Even if you take a massive amount of pills, it doesn't numb your pain completely. You could be a big time popper and still "function." Wrestlers do/did it all the time. Football players do it.

If my wife was a vet, she'd be locking her drugs up around me. You know he asked her for the type of meds that would knock out a horse.

We have no idea what the future holds, but guitar players get arthritis and carpal tunnel, and that sucks worse because the hands are the tools of his craft. He might botch a solo over a flare up, but he can get through the show, and as we read, his meds wore off and his body was screaming in pain.

I for one will definitely give him credit for that! I suffered a injury years back that caused a herniated L4-5, as well as some other issues I will not get in to. It all started harmless enough, but roughly 6 months after the accident I was addicted to opiates(oxycontin) and could not function without the use of them. It was to the point that if I didn't take anything one would assume I was under the influence or had the flu. I had to take opiates to "be normal" I finally hit my breaking point and have been sober for almost 5 years now. So, I feel for Ron because I know how hard a neck/back injury can be on a person, but the man has my utmost respect for apparently living with the pain and not becoming addicted to opiates.

I for one will definitely give him credit for that! I suffered a injury years back that caused a herniated L4-5, as well as some other issues I will not get in to. It all started harmless enough, but roughly 6 months after the accident I was addicted to opiates(oxycontin) and could not function without the use of them. It was to the point that if I didn't take anything one would assume I was under the influence or had the flu. I had to take opiates to "be normal" I finally hit my breaking point and have been sober for almost 5 years now. So, I feel for Ron because I know how hard a neck/back injury can be on a person, but the man has my utmost respect for apparently living with the pain and not becoming addicted to opiates.

So, now that you're sober is the pain still an ongoing thing? Or has the situation ameliorated itself somewhat?

Until we know his exact injury, the speculation is useless and should stop. The dude needs to keep on playing guitar until he can't do it anymore or has enough money out of this to be comfortable with quitting. Then he will be replaced and life goes on.

No offense to Ron, but he is replaceable. Until he has written music and contributed in a significant and creative way to this band, he would be forgotten about very quickly by most of the fan base, and they would jump on the new guy.

I like Ron, but this is truth, and he knows it. He is also a bit dramatic. He either needs to suck it up or quit. This is Guns n Roses. I mean, I am no fan of Slash or the rest of the old guys, but they went on stage consistently while being obliterated and probably in horrible physical and mental shape, and there were no complaints.

Hopefully he recovers! Positive vibes for him!

He never will. This is it. He's said so himself.

Oh fuck! Really? Then even more positive vibes to him!!!

He will just need treatment for the rest of his life. All thanks to a woman driver

unnecessary.

obviously a joke.

So, now that you're sober is the pain still an ongoing thing? Or has the situation ameliorated itself somewhat?

I have pain from time to time, but it is nothing like it was years ago. Originally, I had opted not to have the surgery based on advice I had received. I have since had the surgery and life is much better.

Ron needs surgery on his back. The band was scheduled to have 2 months off, but now it looks like shows keep getting booked. Without time off, Ron can't get the help he needs. Bad situation. And like many have said, what's the point of the endless touring if no new album is on the horizon.

Ron needs surgery on his back. The band was scheduled to have 2 months off, but now it looks like shows keep getting booked. Without time off, Ron can't get the help he needs. Bad situation. And like many have said, what's the point of the endless touring if no new album is on the horizon.

Don't Beta and Axl see this?!?! :anger: :anger:

Generally, a doctor meets with the patient and discusses the symptoms in-depth and over time, runs tests and studies x-rays, and even then it's not always easy to figure out the best treatment method. On this board, we have non-doctors diagnosing the patient based on nothing but wild speculation and YouTube videos.

We all hope that Ron gets better, but we still don't have even 5% of the information required to formulate an opinion. Rest assured that Ron has the money and access to consult with top doctors in the field, and will get this figured out. If he needs pain-killers in the interim, then he should take them. If he reaches the point where he cannot continue to tour, I am sure he can figure that all on his own.

Don't Beta and Axl see this?!?! :anger: :anger:

Someone better call Buckethead to cover Ron.