New DJ Interview

Nick85

In the below interview posted today, when asked about the next album DJ appears unsure and states that touring has put a damper on them getting together to sort things out, and states that GNR will be touring for the rest of the year. He even mentions they'll be returning to the states at some point for more touring.

Does this mean the next album has been put on hold indefinitely? So much for the next album being everyone's priority this year...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/misc/namm_2012_ernie_ball_after_party.html

Which probably means that they are building demand for a new record or they are planning on financing it themselves. I think another successful trek around the States will draw larger audiences and could give them a solid platform to release a new album. It's not a bad plan except for the fact that they can't do multiple things at once and the album at the very least would take a year to record.

In the below interview posted today, when asked about the next album DJ appears unsure and states that touring has put a damper on them getting together to sort things out, and states that GNR will be touring for the rest of the year. He even mentions they'll be returning to the states at some point for more touring.

Does this mean the next album has been put on hold indefinitely? So much for the next album being everyone's priority this year...

NAMM was done in January, prior to these club shows. This isn't "new" per se.

Ali

Maybe DJ just set his expectations too high in terms of GNR heading back into the studio, and was just way too vocal about it with the media, and subsequently, the fans. God knows he was the only one blabbing about being a "producer and songwriter" whenever the subject of another GNR album came up.

Who knows what Axl's true intentions were and are now, especially when you consider all the finished music he allegedly has. Maybe DJ's finding out what many of us have known all along, which is that when it comes to Axl and how he deals with the record company and vice versa, the road to new GNR music is a long and agonizing walk for the band and fans alike.

Edited by sofine11

I think when they have one good tour without any problems the record company will be interested in a new album.

They're on their second of those right now, third if you count Up Close and Personal and the US tour as separate tours...

why is this so alarming? Its pretty much what DJ says all the time. "a new album is everyone's goal". Touring isnt bad either, hell im seeing GnR for the 3rd time since Oct. on Saturday. Axl toured UYI for close to 3 years so this shouldnt be a surprise as long as the crowds continue to show up why stop making money?

Maybe DJ just set his expectations too high in terms of GNR heading back into the studio, and was just way too vocal about it with the media, and subsequently, the fans. God knows he was the only one blabbing about being a "producer and songwriter" whenever the subject of another GNR album came up.

Who knows what Axl's true intentions were and are now, especially when you consider all the finished music he allegedly has. Maybe DJ's finding out what many of us have known all along, which is that when it comes to Axl and how he deals with the record company and vice versa, the road to new GNR music is a long and agonizing walk for the band and fans alike.

Exactly. Great post.

Priceless

This is an old interview. Here are some other quotes from January and more recent:

Dj, January 2012: I can't give anyone a definite date or anything because, again, I can't give anyone false hope, but I can say it absolutely is our main priority. And I cannot wait to get...I mean, Axl has tons and tons of stuff recorded as it is, I mean, he sits there in his hotel room and play me hours of stuff. And I've written, you know, over 10 songs, for -- I think 12 songs now -- for him that he really likes and I think that once we all, now that we are off tour, we're gonna kinda start talking about, hey, let's piece together what we feel would be the next best Guns N' Roses record. You know, it's absolutely everybody's goal to get out an album, you know, within a reasonable amount of time. That is everybody's focus.

Dizzy, February 2012: There are some clamoring and rumors that we might be getting some material together here after we do this little (theater) run, so we'll see what happens. I just go with the flow. I'm always recording and stuff. If it happens it will be really fun and cool. I love creating stuff with all the guys. And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out.

Dizzy, February 2012, being asked about them working on a new record: I keep hearing that, so I’m going to go along with that and say, “Yeah.” [...] There’s been talk. I know that [guitarist] DJ [Ashba] and Axl have been kicking back and forth some stuff and we talked about it a little bit, but I’ve heard that there’s plans... to sit down at some point in time ...and start working some stuff up. So if that happens, great. I don’t want to jinx it though.

Tommy: I would like to put out more than one album in 14 years. I’m all about “Chinese Democracy” but I want new Guns N’ Roses songs. [...] I think it’s less than a 20 percent chance [The Replacements] will get back together. I think there is a much better chance that there will be another Guns N’ Roses album than there will ever be a Replacements reunion.

I don't see the anticipation for a new record among the band members have lessened. In either way it is a win-win for us, we either get more live shows or work on the next record.

Edited by SoulMonster

This is an old interview. Here are some other quotes from January and more recent:

Dj, January 2012: I can't give anyone a definite date or anything because, again, I can't give anyone false hope, but I can say it absolutely is our main priority. And I cannot wait to get...I mean, Axl has tons and tons of stuff recorded as it is, I mean, he sits there in his hotel room and play me hours of stuff. And I've written, you know, over 10 songs, for -- I think 12 songs now -- for him that he really likes and I think that once we all, now that we are off tour, we're gonna kinda start talking about, hey, let's piece together what we feel would be the next best Guns N' Roses record. You know, it's absolutely everybody's goal to get out an album, you know, within a reasonable amount of time. That is everybody's focus.

Dizzy, February 2012: There are some clamoring and rumors that we might be getting some material together here after we do this little (theater) run, so we'll see what happens. I just go with the flow. I'm always recording and stuff. If it happens it will be really fun and cool. I love creating stuff with all the guys. And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out.

Dizzy, February 2012, being asked about them working on a new record: I keep hearing that, so I’m going to go along with that and say, “Yeah.” [...] There’s been talk. I know that [guitarist] DJ [Ashba] and Axl have been kicking back and forth some stuff and we talked about it a little bit, but I’ve heard that there’s plans... to sit down at some point in time ...and start working some stuff up. So if that happens, great. I don’t want to jinx it though.

Tommy: I would like to put out more than one album in 14 years. I’m all about “Chinese Democracy” but I want new Guns N’ Roses songs. [...] I think it’s less than a 20 percent chance [The Replacements] will get back together. I think there is a much better chance that there will be another Guns N’ Roses album than there will ever be a Replacements reunion.

I don't see the anticipation for a new record among the band members have lessened. In either way it is a win-win for us, we either get more live shows or work on the next record.

Reading through all that was like a lesson in vagueness, and still doesn't really bode well for new music soon. :shrugs:

Post 2009:

Random Interviewer: What about a new Guns N' Roses album?

DJ: "Well you know, Axl has some great songs... But we still have to sit and write as a band. But Axl and I, we have a great musical connection!"

Any other Guns N' Roses member: "Well, you know... I worked on a bunch of songs that didn't make it on Chinese Democracy"

Axl: " "

Very few artists are making money off of their recordings, and a lot of bands are hitting the road, playing more shows than they normally would. The shows booked after the RRHOF induction are probably because they're anticipating more people are going to come out and see them.