What do you guys think?

troccoli

Well, I finally decided to start looking into insuring my collection. For those that haven't seen it, you can see it here:

www.troccolitm.com

Now fo course I am going to try and come up with my own value, but it would be very helpful to get the opinions of others, especially other collectors. SO, how much do you think it is worth? Not entirely easy to do. You have the rough value of the items themselves naturally, but then there are abstrac things like the time it took to track down the items, the sentimental value. Then on the other hand it has to be a reasonable amount as well. Appreciate the help, thanx! :)

Well, I finally decided to start looking into insuring my collection. For those that haven't seen it, you can see it here:

www.troccolitm.com

Now fo course I am going to try and come up with my own value, but it would be very helpful to get the opinions of others, especially other collectors. SO, how much do you think it is worth? Not entirely easy to do. You have the rough value of the items themselves naturally, but then there are abstrac things like the time it took to track down the items, the sentimental value. Then on the other hand it has to be a reasonable amount as well. Appreciate the help, thanx! :)

As a guide I have mine currently itemized on my insurance policy at $60,000. But if I take off my Moonman and pinball machine plus a couple of awards that would drop to below $40,000.

You would have a bigger collection than me too.

It's tough because as you say how do you value some items that would be almost impossible to find again? It's one thing having the money but if you can't find the item to buy then it's pointless. So do you increase the value of thse items to account for that?

I also have had to continually review it because the value of things can change. Also when I first put it on my policy the value of the Aussie dollar was shithouse, but now it's above parity with the USD and much stronger against the Euro and Pound than it was. So now things wouldn't cst me as much to replace. Consequently whilst i Have kept buying things I have just tried to revalue stuff as I go and therefore haven't increased the overall sum insured for a while. Basically I have tried to value things at the upper end of the price range too, just coz I might have got it cheap doesn't mean I will be able to replace it at the same price. You also gotta think what it would cost for postage to replace items too.

I also submitted a spreadsheet that itemsed everything and priced it to the insurer.

Your post reminds me that should really relook at my valuations. I can email you my spreadsheet if you want and you can see what I did and what values I put. I wouldn't mind some expert feedback on it too.

most insurance companies will let you insure for whatever you are willing to pay. lol So I would insure it for what it's worth too you. Or what you are willing to pay for a premium. It's the kind of collection that pretty much can't be replaced. So its very hard to put a value on it. My collection is tiny compared too your but I have often thought about insuring it too.

www.troccolitm.com

tim you got one hell of a job on your hands here , your collection is massive , i wouldnt know where to start with a valuation , what with the high prices on ebay lately (top hat volume 2 $660 and $1000 for red hand cover cd) id say work out what you think its worth and double the price , you got so many items that are exceptionally rare so could never be replaced so in theory priceless !

www.troccolitm.com

[/quote

how much do ya think you´d need to buy all that again? double it, and i believe it would be a resonable amount.

but i believe that maybe...200000 euros...

for mine i would do one around 25000 euros, but mine is smaller...

i never thought you guys had your collections insured...well, i live in the end of the world so...