Was the CD tour really that ridiculous in length?

Flayer

And then there's the classic "Well maybe YOU don't want to hear new songs or get a new album" response which has been slung around too many times to count in defense of all the bitching. News flash, everyone would love to hear fifty new songs and get three new albums in a row and have a music video for TWAT or whatever new song they like best. The idea of someone who only wants them to do the same thing over and over again and never change or progress is ludicrous. There is not a single person like that on this board.

When in my post did I say you didn't want to hear new music? I said specifically that you, too, wanted to move forward. I'm saying that we bitch because we care and you don't bitch because you care. It's just a difference of person.

Personally, I haven't complained about this tour since Used to Love Her and You're Crazy were added to the setlist. It really can be just that easy to please us fans. Still, whether you whine or not, this tour was long, and I don't understand why you're euphemizing otherwise...

Kill devil hill......great post. You hit the nail on the head.

Player, you are doing what you complain about. By constantly complaining about what other people post, you are just feeding into the negativety!!!!

And yes. I saw them in 2002 and they played four CD songs. So it is one album in a decade of touring. That isn't anything close to the double albums that were the Illusions and a few years of touring.

I consider the tour starting 01/01/01 so between 01/01/01 and 2012 that's 12 years. So yeah too long but if Axl releases the other 2 albums soon then it will balance out

I'm starting to get the impression that Axl wants us to forget that Chinese D was supposed to consist of the multi-album opus we were all looking forward to for so long. His silence regarding the rest of the tracks for the past 3 years is...troubling. <_<

Indeed it is. So don't hold your breath, the next record make take some time :).

As to the OP's question: it has been a glorious, long tour. Good to see the band active and having fun!

But when you consider that Axl has more than an album's worth of tracks, possibly even better than what was on CD, how could we not get a bit impatient when years go by with no word on what's going to happen with them...

You really need to adjust your head to the possibility that Axl doesn't have "an album's worth of tracks" and that whatever songs he might have in various states of completion, might not be really good at all. You (and I am not talking about you specifically, sofine11) basically have to reset to zero and stop with all these expectations that make you whine and moan and in the end will only leave you even more bitter and resentful when it all turns out to be wrong.

What we do have, on the other hand, is a band that is eager to hit the studio and create new music. Hence, we might get a new record in a few years. So again, don't hold your breath. and if you don't think you are in for the "long haul", then please just leave now.

Well UYI was released around the time the tour took place and the IMAGE of the band i.e Slash and Axl and maybe Duff was cemented in the general psyche regardless of othr changes like Stevie, Gilby, Dizzy. If we just had the tours starting from 2006 it wouldn't be too bizarre, I think the constant line up changes are what make people unable to see the post 96 GNR as a true band, not so much the sporadic touring cycles. The focus was always Slash and Axl to the public and it built up since the beginning, hence why a reunion could get away with a ten year touring cycle just playing AFD + Patience, November Rain and Estranged.

There's been no clear beginning to the CD version of GNR, the album was farcically released and has been toured by folks who were barely on it, it's a conundrum. Fortus and Tommy have been in the band for a long time but still only a handful of new stuff is played, it's hard for the new members to stamp their mark on the public perception, only Ashba manages it due to his cartoonish persona, not a slight on any of their immense playing capability, just an observation. Not that any of it matters to the fans of music and not the reunion whiners who need a comfortable little product from the past to re-emerge!

People are never happy when it comes to setlist. Guns have played around 50 different songs on a rotation since 2001. All songs have spanned their entire career. People want more CD songs and less AFD. If GN'R were to hit the stage and play nothing from AFD, people would still be pissed.

It's like Metallica. For a while they played a very limited set rotation of mainly songs from TBA, Load and Reload with the occasional Kill em all, Ride the Lightning and Puppets tunes thrown in there (besides songs like MOP and Fade to Black). Metallica then changed the set during the St Anger tour and played a shitload of songs from the first 4 albums and neglected TBA, Load, Reload and Garage Inc and now people whinge that there is not enough of that 90's era in their set. Unless they play a 4 - 5 hour show each night, Metallica fans are going to complain.

People are going to complain no matter what. The best thing we can do is let them be unhappy while the rest of us enjoy what is happening at the time.

While it can be a bit confusing due to multiple tours using the CHINESE DEMOCRACY moniker, I think it's pretty clear the 2002 tour was more of a comeback tour than a tour for Chinese. The comeback tour didn't turn out well and the band vanished until trying again with the 2006-2007 comeback tour, which worked out much better.

The actual tour for Chinese Democracy has been 2009-2012. I think the Up Close And Personal shows count as the setlist is basically the same as the 2011 leg and the band is still playing 7 songs from the album.

Even thought that 2002 tour featured four unheard, unrelease CD songs?

People are never happy when it comes to setlist. Guns have played around 50 different songs on a rotation since 2001. All songs have spanned their entire career. People want more CD songs and less AFD. If GN'R were to hit the stage and play nothing from AFD, people would still be pissed.

It's like Metallica. For a while they played a very limited set rotation of mainly songs from TBA, Load and Reload with the occasional Kill em all, Ride the Lightning and Puppets tunes thrown in there (besides songs like MOP and Fade to Black). Metallica then changed the set during the St Anger tour and played a shitload of songs from the first 4 albums and neglected TBA, Load, Reload and Garage Inc and now people whinge that there is not enough of that 90's era in their set. Unless they play a 4 - 5 hour show each night, Metallica fans are going to complain.

People are going to complain no matter what. The best thing we can do is let them be unhappy while the rest of us enjoy what is happening at the time.

Metallica always change it up though. They have had shows and entire legs of tours where they play an album in it's whole entirety. I know they have done it with Master of Puppets, And Justice for all and TBA. Could you imagine Guns playing UYI I or II in it's entirety?

I see the Up Close and Personal Tour as similar to the bare bones let of UYI. With the Illusions they blew all their money on elaborate and expensive shows and they went for a smaller budget to make up for the money wasted. The Chinese tour was very expensive and a smaller venue tour with just the band and monitors and high admission tickets should be more profitable. They clearly cut a deal with the House of Blues owners to play at their clubs. Plus that exclusive private show must have been big bucks.

Of course, those are the songs that got the band where they are. I love CD but coming out and playing no AFD songs would be suicide.

+1 The tour has been going for 10 years. With one album of material. It's completely incomparable to UYI, which was three years with two albums.

Yes because they never played anything but that one album.

Count shows, not years. Half of those ten years are more or less empty.

Why the fuck would people not count years? 12 years to tour one album, that for reasons still unexplained wasn't released until the "tour" had already been going for years, is nonsensical. Trying to rationalize it by comparing the "number of shows" is just silly. So, to answer your question, was the CD tour really that ridiculous in length?

YES.

I was gonna say the same thing.