So overall, was the theatre tour a success?

axl666

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of the actual shows - it seems as it was a success. Positive reviews from most of the media, and mainly positive reviews from fans who attended the shows.

In terms of the overall GnR package.....I think it depends on what happens the rest of 2012. Were these UCAP shows a way to put the current 10-year-old to bed? A thank you to the fans? And now they are moving forward with the band? Then yes, it was a nice way to do it. But if it was just yet another step in years of touring and no new music.....then it really wasn't that "epic" (since some of you people are addicted to that word, along with rasp and mickey mouse) of a string of shows.

For all of you that get mad at those of us who want new music, look how excited some of the forum members got from the band playing two covers that the old band played 20 years ago. If 20-year-old covers get everybody excited, think of the momentum from playing new music!!!!

So basically - yes. This mini-tour was a success.

In the overall scheme of the 10-year tour.....it was just another leg. A cool idea, and hopefully the end of the CD or GH tour. A way to put that baby to bed and now a chance for the new band to be able to perform music that they created.

It was a great cash grabbing and also the fact that Axl had the opportunity to promote Chinese Democracy in the US (in the correct way). The American crowds were great, no riots and no need to stop shows. I hope this was the last CD tour (even though I really think the European leg will be more of the same).

Edited by pi2loc

Not really considering the band playing was Guns N' Roses. I think they did not sell out at least one show either, which doesn't make it a success to me especially considering they were only 4,000 seaters. Just my opinion anyway, the US has been hard on Guns since 2000...

Weren't paying attention to the earlier shows I presume? I believe everything through AC was sold out. At the very least all of NYC was sold out, that I'm positive of.

Fuck this negativity.I am Get tired of this.They made a 30 dates US-arena tour.And most of the shows are full or nearly full.You can watch it from youtube.also tell me How many rock bands can do a arena tour İn US today.After arena tour they made an theatre tour recently.And most of the shows are sold out.Both arena and theatre tours are major success.

The only sense in which I consider the arena tour a success is it's the first US tour that actually concluded as planned since '93. Most of the shows were not full or nearly full, and they weren't playing particularly big arenas to begin with. I'd say the average attendance would be somewhere around 60-70%.

On the topic of the Up Close And Personal tour, I absolutely consider it a success. All shows sold pretty well, especially given the short notice of them (Some shows were announced less than a week before the date of the gig). Every show got rave reviews other than that review in the Washington Post - which in all fairness shouldn't even be counted since the guy clearly didn't have any of his facts straight and obviously went in with a bias. They may have been small shows, but it's certainly the most attention GN'R has had in the States in a long time.

Clearly he was not as he doesn't have his facts straight. Far more shows did well at the box office and sold out than just NYC, like both Florida shows, and at least two of three if not three of three LA shows. More importantly, the buzz seemed very positive from these more intimate shows.

Ali

Not really considering the band playing was Guns N' Roses. I think they did not sell out at least one show either, which doesn't make it a success to me especially considering they were only 4,000 seaters. Just my opinion anyway, the US has been hard on Guns since 2000...

It seems like current GnR has become something for fans with "selective tastes" in the west? Like people either only go to see them if they genuinely dig the current lineup/ fans of Axl or casually go to try and re-live what once was... I know its kinda like that with people I know that have been to GnR shows in UK in the last few years. Thats kinda sad and disappointing to me as I have been a fan for most of my (admittedly short) life. I hate to use the term but I find that people generally perceive it to be a "nostalgia" show...

Perhaps new music will help this but for (any) new music to be well received by the general public it would have to have a strong and "relative" message but this brings me to the question; What else can GnR cover subject matter wise? Everything from drug abuse to wars to bad relationships has all been covered... what else is left? Every box had been ticked in a spectacular way imo, so what else is left?

In the end, I will always love everything GnR (past and present) but for the same reason I want them to succeed too (again)!

You're 100 percent right. They're perceived to be a nostalgia show, and at this point it's completely accurate.

People consider Gn'R to have died somewhere in the early '90s with the exodus of the entirety of the classic lineup sans Axl.

Where it could have been different is if Axl pushed the band forward, but he never did. So yeah, people see it as Axl Rose and his new band. But everyone seems to come away from the show having had a fuckin' good time.

I think they should have given away some signed copies of Chinese Democracy to fans on the way out. There has to be a ton of those left collecting dust. May as well get them out there and create a little bit of buzz/education because I know there will plenty of folks there who came to see the hits and didn't know anything else.

I think they should have given away some signed copies of Chinese Democracy to fans on the way out. There has to be a ton of those left collecting dust. May as well get them out there and create a little bit of buzz/education because I know there will plenty of folks there who came to see the hits and didn't know anything else.

free signed copies of chinese democracy for every ticket. logical thing.

free signed copies of chinese democracy for every ticket. logical thing.

I didn't say for every ticket, but they'll likely never be sold anyhow at this point. The money's been spent. Give some records away and hopefully spread the word about the "NEW" songs that people overlooked.

For all of you that get mad at those of us who want new music

Who exactly on this forum does not want new music? And who gets mad at anyone from wanting new music?

You still live in a fantasy world...

Thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it. Per usual, you hit the nail right on the head. Thanks. :thumbsup:

It was a great cash grabbing and also the fact that Axl had the opportunity to promote Chinese Democracy in the US (in the correct way). The American crowds were great, no riots and no need to stop shows. I hope this was the last CD tour (even though I really think the European leg will be more of the same).

It WILL be. Sorry to tell ya'.

It WILL be. Sorry to tell ya'.

Probably. :(

Still rooting for this year for the second Chinese album.

Who exactly on this forum does not want new music? And who gets mad at anyone from wanting new music?

I have to agree. I havent seen any actual post from anybody attacking the idea of a new album. Its just the phantoms that haunt Groghan in his sleep.

I have to agree. I havent seen any actual post from anybody attacking the idea of a new album. Its just the phantoms that haunt Groghan in his sleep.

Great point Rabia. My sleep is haunted by phantom posters. Once again, I'm amazed by your brilliance. Thank you!!!

Great point Rabia. My sleep is haunted by phantom posters. Once again, I'm amazed by your brilliance. Thank you!!!

You're very welcome. Acceptance is always the first step. :)

I would say yes solely because he was perfectly on time at my show. That's progress.

I won't judge a tour by how many seats were sold or how much money was made because that's just a factor in no one's control. But the shows did go on without a hitc, and they all sounded great, and songs were added, and Finck and Brain came. The good outweighs the bad, so I'd say yes, it was. The tour was directed at hardcore fans, and I think the tour satisfied us. Of course a new song would be more satisfactory.

. The good outweighs the bad, so I'd say yes, it was. The tour was directed at hardcore fans, and I think the tour satisfied us.

Yup. Second time traveling to.nyc from Maine to see. Gnr. And the reason I do it is bcuz axl doesn't disappoint. And in that small setting, its that much better. If they're planning on us dates in.the fall im.hoping they play clubs in areas they didn't this time around. Boston anybody? Jk. I know many want a boston show. And if us dates are added after europe we're bound to get one.