So overall, was the theatre tour a success?

axl666

Guess so. But I guarantee you that if Axl doesn't somehow move forward soon, and remains a nostalgic act for the forseeable future, attendance will plummet, even in places where Axl's considered the messiah, and club gigs are all we will get in the US. That to me is the bigger picture and why I'm not exactly jumping in joy.

Edited by BS11290

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns are in a catch 22 position. They are currently viewed by many as a nostalgia act as they play a Appetite heavy setlist(although that is improving) and their last album's efforts are not that well received live by the casual concert goer(TIL, Sorry, Maddy, although Chidem and Better do well). Even if they put out a new album, unless they are very lucky and have a HUGE hit and promote is vigorously, it won't have a big impact. It's been too long between drinks and people forget. The fact that this band does not resemble that band that most people remember does not help either. When you go to a Metallica show, 3 out of 4 of the members have been there for 30 years. 50% of the current Guns line up have been there for less than only a decade or less(Ashba, Fortus, Ron and Frank). I too want them to succeed but the game is set against them, partly because of what transpired in the mid-90s, Axl's actions and inactions and numerous individuals being conspicuously absent.

I get what you mean about the stigma from the past looming over them but like, I don't think even a "reunion" would launch them into being something "current" because if that happens then, although it will be hugely successful financially, it will definitely be a nostalgia thing and die that way (there will just be no room for progression cuz people just don't want to move on from what they know and love).

The only way I see them moving forward and making some sort of impact would be if they release a new song that is truly, undeniably fucking awesome. but there in lies the problem, no sign of new music.

I think one way they could ride the GnR wave this year (with HOF, good reviews, tours, etc) would be if Axl were to release a short solo album/EP to keep people interested while they get cracking as a band to write and record new music. Even if its just Axl on the piano doing a few covers and piano only version of some of the Guns songs (my ultimate dream personally :D ), it will be enough to keep some interest and reassure some people that something is going on...

^^ Of course that is just my opinion... :shrugs:

People thought that was going to happen with Better, I was amongst those people, I thought "man the world has to hear this" and when it happened, not many people cared. The masses do not want dense, multi-layered, multi-genre music that is complex in scale and message. They want simple shit like fucken Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, fucken Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift etc singing about good times and one subject. It is messed but that's how it is. It's like how a big dumb Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers 3 trumps Tree of Life at the box office.

Great post! You absolutely nalied it. Sad but true.

...it won't change a damn thing but there was a time.

Guns are in a catch 22 position. They are currently viewed by many as a nostalgia act as they play a Appetite heavy setlist(although that is improving) and their last album's efforts are not that well received live by the casual concert goer(TIL, Sorry, Maddy, although Chidem and Better do well). Even if they put out a new album, unless they are very lucky and have a HUGE hit and promote is vigorously, it won't have a big impact. It's been too long between drinks and people forget. The fact that this band does not resemble that band that most people remember does not help either. When you go to a Metallica show, 3 out of 4 of the members have been there for 30 years. 50% of the current Guns line up have been there for less than only a decade or less(Ashba, Fortus, Ron and Frank). I too want them to succeed but the game is set against them, partly because of what transpired in the mid-90s, Axl's actions and inactions and numerous individuals being conspicuously absent.

I get what you mean about the stigma from the past looming over them but like, I don't think even a "reunion" would launch them into being something "current" because if that happens then, although it will be hugely successful financially, it will definitely be a nostalgia thing and die that way (there will just be no room for progression cuz people just don't want to move on from what they know and love).

The only way I see them moving forward and making some sort of impact would be if they release a new song that is truly, undeniably fucking awesome. but there in lies the problem, no sign of new music.

I think one way they could ride the GnR wave this year (with HOF, good reviews, tours, etc) would be if Axl were to release a short solo album/EP to keep people interested while they get cracking as a band to write and record new music. Even if its just Axl on the piano doing a few covers and piano only version of some of the Guns songs (my ultimate dream personally :D ), it will be enough to keep some interest and reassure some people that something is going on...

^^ Of course that is just my opinion... :shrugs:

People thought that was going to happen with Better, I was amongst those people, I thought "man the world has to hear this" and when it happened, not many people cared. The masses do not want dense, multi-layered, multi-genre music that is complex in scale and message. They want simple shit like fucken Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, fucken Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift etc singing about good times and one subject. It is messed but that's how it is. It's like how a big dumb Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers 3 trumps Tree of Life at the box office.

Great post! You absolutely nalied it. Sad but true.

This act needs to release some amazing Hard rock tunes in the vien of Paridise, You could be mine and then and only then will rock radio put nu guns into heavy rotation again. Most people who grew up on old school gnr don't want to hear these epic ballads of lost love and shit..

and yes the tour was a huge success

Edited by stone

They charge too much money for tickets. I know at least 10 people that would have went to the Palladium and Wiltern Theater shows if tickets weren't over $100.

The usual convo went like

ME:"GNR is playing the Wiltern next week!"

FRIEND: "I'm down, how much are tickets? $60?"

ME:"100+"

FRIEND:"Sorry man, I'd go if it was cheaper, but I have bills to pay"

This act needs to release some amazing Hard rock tunes in the vien of Paridise, You could be mine and then and only then will rock radio put nu guns into heavy rotation again. Most people who grew up on old school gnr don't want to hear these epic ballads of lost love and shit..

and yes the tour was a huge success.

Well, that's debatable because what I always loved about Guns was precisely that. Gn'R could be a very hard-rock straight-in-your-face Rn'R band but at the same time --the same band-- produced some power ballads with killer solos and incredible outros. I don't know, but without songs like Don't Cry, Estranged, November Rain, So Fine or even Sweet Child O' Mine, the band wouldn't have had the same impact on me (still a fuckin' killer band). Chinese Democracy without songs like This I Love, Street of Dreams, Madagascar (and this is my personal opinion) wouldn't be the same either. :shrugs:

Edited by pi2loc

I think the down side to UCAP was revisiting the cities they were just at in the fall.

To me, the club shows are supposed to be about loosening up the setlist... playing the rarely played songs, or a club & arena tour is like a rehearsal for the arena tour. The point is for an artist to play a venue like the Wiltern where you can do more acoustic and piano based songs and have them sound better than they would in an arena. Kind of surprised they didn't do Nokia Live in LA, because it's a theater that holds 8000 people.

There's a reason why dates are added around festival shows. I'm sure some of the Rock in Rio money covered the fall tour, or the tequila sponsor covered some of the cost of the UCAP shows.

To me, when people start talking about "nostalgia"... it's nostalgia for the songs, and the biggest interest is always by people who weren't there back in the day. The interest isn't by people who are the same age as the band, but of course those fans are at the shows as well... they're bringing their kids to it.

Huge success. Seen the first four shows in NYC and the last two in LA. Amazing night after night.

First off, I'm pretty sure the tour was sold out completely. I know the first four in NYC were (Hiro was packed full) sold out and the last two in LA were also.

Secondly, Dead Flowers, Mama Kin, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her all made their returns.

Huge success. Seen the first four shows in NYC and the last two in LA. Amazing night after night.

First off, I'm pretty sure the tour was sold out completely. I know the first four in NYC were (Hiro was packed full) sold out and the last two in LA were also.

Secondly, Dead Flowers, Mama Kin, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her all made their returns.

howd you get into the hiro show?

I really expected CITR to make an appearance :(

True. That song is made for more intimate shows! Would've been awesome.

Honestly I'd like to see Gnr do a full US tour completely in clubs. Announce everything 2- 3 months in advanced so we all can plan around it. Bigger cities do double nights.

I think the US has had enough of GnR for the moment. They couldn't sell out some really small venues this time around, so if they're gonna tour anywhere it might as well be Europe. Then Axl could come back to Rio for next year's RiR and make up for that last performance :tongue2:

It was a successful tour considering the smallish rock american market - filled with 'greatest hits' just like everyone expected. In that sense one must admire Axl for playing the music that 90% of the 'fans' out there want instead of playing mostly "newer" music that would make it a shitty tour.

most bands that have been around for 25 years play a few songs from their new album and before long those songs are never heard from again. chinese democracy is over three years old and GNR continues to play seven songs from the album every night. i really don't see where all these "greatest hits tour" complaints come from. the band has been playing for OVER THREE HOURS every night and about one third of the set is songs from their greatest hits CD.

so really, wtf are you guys talking about?

Marketing ploy for the Americans.

most bands that have been around for 25 years play a few songs from their new album and before long those songs are never heard from again. chinese democracy is over three years old and GNR continues to play seven songs from the album every night. i really don't see where all these "greatest hits tour" complaints come from. the band has been playing for OVER THREE HOURS every night and about one third of the set is songs from their greatest hits CD.

so really, wtf are you guys talking about?

MSL: you couldnt be more right. I dont get it either. Its like people wont be happy until they breakout OMG a song that flopped 10 years ago. Some people will never be satisfied until the one thing they hope happens happens, never mind what 99% of the people attending the show want.