Greatest Hits back on US charts

rylz

The album has always popped back into the billboard 200 for YEARS now. Whenever Axl tours basically. Even when CDwas still in stores. Even before the Amazon sale, which was only on Amazon by the by. Walked into best buy today to see it was still 9.99. Everytime Axl tours, greatest hits seems to skyrocket in sales.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see CD as more like Exile on Main Street it will become a respected album in time. GNR has moved beyond being a band, it's like a cultural artifact. So people are snapping up the GH like would a Stones hits album. Even if you don't care you still need to know GNRs hits. GNR have taken over from U2 as the hot live act to see.

Exactly,Exile was blasted by the media as a complete failure when it was released,Now its finally being appreciated by people,sometimes it takes the general public time to catch up.

GNR has some serious momentum built up,looks like an eventful year.

80k at .25 per copy is only 20k in cash, I'm glad to see them up there but it's not like it's braking the bank seeming as the rest are regularly priced 175k at $15 = $2,625,000. Quite the difference. plus at .25 a CD what would GNR's cut be of that

I only care about the idea of the band I love being loved by others that probably didn't like Guns enough to buy a record. They will probably listen to Greatest Hits and from that 80K at least one person will become a hardcore Gn'R fan.

Edited by pi2loc

The Greatest Hits album is a monster sales wise. The tracklisting sucks but for some reason it keeps popping back up into the charts every 6 months or so. The record label must be very pleased. I think when they cut funding to Chinese Democracy and found the Greatest Hits to be a big success, they washed their hands with Axl's big plans for Guns... The Greatest Hits only needed packaging and distribution expenses, the tracks were unaltered to my knowledge, so it would have been a very nice profit margin.

this must really boil axl,s piss , no matter what he does with the current line up the world just wants the original line up

I don't understand how you can make that inference. The current line-up doesn't have any songs out yet, let alone enough material for a "greatest hits". It would be interesting to see how well CD sold at $0.25 though.

Chinese Democracy has been on sell for some time at Best Buy. I think it was $1.99 last I saw. Could be less by now. Not sure if they ran out of stock yet.

Here is an article on the bargin bin discount http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy_re-enters_us_charts.html

Edited by rocker rockstar

to me AFD and CD are pretty similar in approaches in some ways. Saying that CD would have been great if it was released at a certain time, say earlier, seems to miss, if not the point, but something. It's like saying AFD would have been awesome if it was released in the 70s cos it had some 70s influence in the mix. CD has elements found in the great 90s albums, it doesn't have to be released in the 90s to be great. the way GNR sort of puts together these album seems to defy time.

Chinese Democracy had such diversity in the songs. I mean you had a song like Shackler's Revenge, and a song like Catcher in The Rye. You had epics, like TWAT, and Prostitute, you had rockers like CD and Better. CD is one of the most underrated albums of all time, it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Chinese Democracy is a true rock treasure, a great album and if you don't agree, then you are just wrong.

I agree with the bold lines.

I completely disagree and :rofl-lol: the italic lines

CD isn't a true rock treasure, more of a good album with good songs on it, but overproduced, multi-layered as fuck.

Needless to say, this album isn't a GNR album, this is Axl's solo album (which i personally think is great), but call Chinese Democracy a true rock album is completely wrong.

If CD came out in the early 2000's... that's a whole other story.

Not really comprehending your assertion that if it had come out in 2000 it would have been a GNR album,but since it didn't its not? :monkey:

"Not a true rock treasure,but a good album with good songs on it?" :huh:

Yes,its multilayered,and complex-leaning toward prog. Rock in some songs,but I Appreciate the fact that with each listen,you can peel back another layer,another aspect of the melody,another nuance.

It runs through a gamut of emotions as well,and it's lyrically brilliant.

Far too many people either were prepared in advance to hate it,and the other half raised expectations so high that satisfaction was an impossibility.

Sabotaged? Probably,but its still one of the best Albums I have ever heard.

to me AFD and CD are pretty similar in approaches in some ways. Saying that CD would have been great if it was released at a certain time, say earlier, seems to miss, if not the point, but something. It's like saying AFD would have been awesome if it was released in the 70s cos it had some 70s influence in the mix. CD has elements found in the great 90s albums, it doesn't have to be released in the 90s to be great. the way GNR sort of puts together these album seems to defy time.

I agree AFD is timeless that is why it has sold so many copies over the years. The total number of records sold was 28 million for 1987 thru 2008. Now it should be more. People still go to concerts to hear AFD after all these years. It is a great record.

They're liquidating the Greatest Hits album because it was not sanctioned by Axl, Slash, nor Duff. If I remember right, all 3 tried to prevent its release. Myabe eventually there will be a greatest hits album with goodies, sacntioned by the founders.

Greatest Hits is at 31 on Billboard Top 200. 230 weeks on the chart. The number of weeks on the chart has to be a record.

They're liquidating the Greatest Hits album because it was not sanctioned by Axl, Slash, nor Duff. If I remember right, all 3 tried to prevent its release. Myabe eventually there will be a greatest hits album with goodies, sacntioned by the founders.

Makes since they may have a new Greatest Hits coming out. By why sell the digital album so cheap if a new version is coming out. Makes sense to sell the cd at stores to get it out of inventory to make room for the new version.

Edited by rocker rockstar

The Greatest Hits album is a monster sales wise. The tracklisting sucks but for some reason it keeps popping back up into the charts every 6 months or so. The record label must be very pleased. I think when they cut funding to Chinese Democracy and found the Greatest Hits to be a big success, they washed their hands with Axl's big plans for Guns... The Greatest Hits only needed packaging and distribution expenses, the tracks were unaltered to my knowledge, so it would have been a very nice profit margin.

The greatest hits album was a monster sales wise because the music was great. It's just that plain and simple. Good music still sells. There Is a reason that CD didn't do well and I will leave that subject alone and let others draw there own conclusions as to the reason why It didn't sell and why the majority of the fans sit down at concerts when the new material Is played.

Universal stirred up some interest with the impending Rock Hall induction by getting it on the charts, and charging 25 cents for the obvious reason. It was just a one day deal.

Not sure what the liquidating discussion was about - it was MP3 downloads.

GNR made their money back off those songs years ago, the promotion wasn't anything Axl took part in or approved, but still prob. made more in one day from Amazon than he made last year from them, even charging as little as they did.

• 3 months later...

For the past few months promoting and showing Rock of Ages, Tom and Axl's names have been on trending. Tom Cruise kills it as an Axl Rose clone in this ridiculously entertaining musical.

Well, any publicity is a good publicity, GH climbed to chart again.

#9 Rock of Ages - Soundtrack

#49 Greatest Hits - GNR :thumbsup:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200#/charts/billboard-200?begin=41&order=position

GH has always sold very well. Its for the casual fan that doesn't know much about GN'R but really dig WTTJ, SCOM or whatever and wants to explore more GN'R stuff.

the casual fan. but what about chinese democracy? how could GH always sell more than CD? pretty embarrassing 4 axl rose and camp. victory 4 slash and duff

Most people who buy that CD are not Guns N' Roses fans.

I bought it. I'm a Guns N' Roses fan.

:rolleyes:

cha ching for slash and duff on GH sales from 2012 guns n roses fans

:rofl-lol:

I bought it in 2004... :rolleyes:

cha ching for slash and duff on GH no matter when anybody bought it

GH has always sold very well. Its for the casual fan that doesn't know much about GN'R but really dig WTTJ, SCOM or whatever and wants to explore more GN'R stuff.

the casual fan. but what about chinese democracy? how could GH always sell more than CD? pretty embarrassing 4 axl rose and camp. victory 4 slash and duff

I need a cupcake spray.