New Tommy Interview

Purely Magnetic

Please don't tour the states again. 3 times in the space of 12 months would be silly...

European tour.

Finish off next album.

New world tour (starting in Asia).

Are you guy's kidding about Stinson--he has been regarded as one of the elite bass players and musicians of his era since the Mats hit the scene. Bash n' Pop (check the tunes on the Singles soundtrack) were a brilliant band, and it proved that Tommy was a brilliant songwriter, and not just living in Paul Westerberg's shadow. Perfect was great as well. Tommy was invited to join GN'R by Josh Freese, and within a few months became the band leader, hence "The General". The heart and soul of this band since 98 has been Tommy--you can feel it live, and he is the one who keeps everyone in line musically. He is the best thing for GN'R since the break-up, and is the reason this band is still together and thriving. The guy is a natural leader, and a brilliant musician. One Man Mutiny was one of the best albums period in 2011--it is like a Bob Dylan album, or great wine, it gets better with time and each additional listen; especially the 2nd half of the album which is acoustic. Zero to Stupid, Match Made in Hell, Destroy Me, & One Man Mutiny are all incredible songs and have grown on me. I love blasting this album in my car, as it is short and sweet and great in one full listen!

God Bless Tommy Stinson--The General!!! I really hope, as I believe he is the best songwriter this band has seen since Izzy, that Axl makes sure Tommy brings in all his songs for the next studio sessions! Listen to One Man Mutiny, and just imagine GN'R tearing into a few of these songs...would be brilliant, simple, straightforward rock!

Didn't DJ say something about possible coming back to the states before the end of the year, also?

If they do, and the setlist doesn't change, I'll only be at one show.

Ugh.

Yeah right, you will be at more than one! Your a sucker just like me for a GNR show! Tell yourself just one, but as soon as that one is over we are trying to figure out how we can get to the next one! Good luck with that!

Alright, alright... TWO! :lol:

But it will be hard to go to more than that, especially because of the damn VIP crap!

He said he wasn't a gnr fan :( I almost like him less.

Yeah I thought that was strange too

It's been known since forever, personally I don't care if he used to not care about them. I think it's safe to say he has liked GN'R for the last 15 years.

I agree I don't have an issue with him being in the band or anything, I just found it a bit odd

Edited by WhazUp

He said he wasn't a gnr fan :( I almost like him less.

I think I do might like him less. It makes me think he joined the band or his own personal fame/gain and not because he loved the band. Which is really sad.

It is a well known fact that Tommy was not a huge fan of Guns N' Roses ;), but you have to consider how different the bloated 90's GN'R was to The Replacement and their different backgrounds. GN'R was a joke back then to many musicians.

Tommy, about Axl continuing with Guns N' Roses: He didn't start over. The other guys just kind of vacated the band. They said, "Fuck it, I don't want to work." Axl just decided to go on. He called me and asked me to do it and got the other guys to do it as well. Axl just wanted to keep working. He didn't want to start completely over after everything the band had been through. I think it was a pretty ballsy move [D9 At Night, November 2011].

Tommy: By the time I joined, I walked in going, ‘This sounds kinda punk rock what [Axl]’s trying to do and thinking of doing.’ You know, everyone quit, and [Axl] was like, ‘I wanna work. I didn’t spend 10 years on this to let it go now. Fuck you guys! I’m going to keep it going.’ I thought that was pretty fucking ballsy. I said, ‘I’m down.’ … I still think it was a good idea. [...] Axl is a great producer. He doesn’t give himself credit for it. Sadly, of course, it took forever to finish the fucking record, but the reason why is because of what he expects out of the band. He likes to actually collaborate with the people he’s playing with. He doesn’t bring them a song and say, ‘Here’s my song. Sing it.’ It’s kind of a strange, old-school, songwriter-producer thing. I don’t think he realizes that. He’s really good at getting people to write something that inspires him. [...] We get along great, we really do. It ain’t perfect, it’s not great every day. We’re all cantankerous in our own right. But the reason I’ve played with him so long is that we do get along [Chicago Sun Times, November 2011].

Tommy: I got into this band with [Axl] ’cause I thought the idea that he had of… the whole (expletive) band kind of left him sitting there, and he’s like, “Well (expletive) that, man. I want to work. I’m not gonna sit here and call it a day,” was kind of ballsy, so I was in [Enquirer, December 2011].

Are you guy's kidding about Stinson--he has been regarded as one of the elite bass players and musicians of his era since the Mats hit the scene. Bash n' Pop (check the tunes on the Singles soundtrack) were a brilliant band, and it proved that Tommy was a brilliant songwriter, and not just living in Paul Westerberg's shadow. Perfect was great as well. Tommy was invited to join GN'R by Josh Freese, and within a few months became the band leader, hence "The General". The heart and soul of this band since 98 has been Tommy--you can feel it live, and he is the one who keeps everyone in line musically. He is the best thing for GN'R since the break-up, and is the reason this band is still together and thriving. The guy is a natural leader, and a brilliant musician. One Man Mutiny was one of the best albums period in 2011--it is like a Bob Dylan album, or great wine, it gets better with time and each additional listen; especially the 2nd half of the album which is acoustic. Zero to Stupid, Match Made in Hell, Destroy Me, & One Man Mutiny are all incredible songs and have grown on me. I love blasting this album in my car, as it is short and sweet and great in one full listen!

God Bless Tommy Stinson--The General!!! I really hope, as I believe he is the best songwriter this band has seen since Izzy, that Axl makes sure Tommy brings in all his songs for the next studio sessions! Listen to One Man Mutiny, and just imagine GN'R tearing into a few of these songs...would be brilliant, simple, straightforward rock!

Lol. You make it out like Tommy Stinton is like Les Claypool or the Mozart of bass playing.

Why tour the states again.

To entertain audiences, have fun and earn money?

And bore the shit out of them.

Bore the shit out of the entertained audiences? That doesn't make sense at all. Have you not heard that the recent US tours have been really, really well received?

It's time to hit the studio.

So the question you should have asked is "why are they not working on a new record?" Perhaps because they are having so much fun now that a new record can wait. Or perhaps because they need to get some more money. Or perhaps because they want to create a larger demand for a new GN'R record by continuing to entertain audiences in the US. I dunno. We need to ask Axl that question.

Bore the shit out of the entertained audiences? That doesn't make sense at all. Have you not heard that the recent US tours have been really, really well received?

So the question you should have asked is "why are they not working on a new record?" Perhaps because they are having so much fun now that a new record can wait. Or perhaps because they need to get some more money. Or perhaps because they want to create a larger demand for a new GN'R record by continuing to entertain audiences in the US. I dunno. We need to ask Axl that question.

Everyone who really wanted to see the band in the states saw them in 2011. Coming back here without a new product to promote and the same setlist is a terrible move.

Everyone who really wanted to see the band in the states saw them in 2011. Coming back here without a new product to promote and the same setlist is a terrible move.

Though we don't know if the setlist will be exactly the same, we do know it's more than possible, and I totally agree with you.

If they come back, for a ton of people it'll be like: "Guns N' Roses are touring again, let's go see them!" 'Oh, nah, I saw them back in 2011 when they toured.'

But, if they had some new material in the set, it'd be like: "Guns N' Roses are touring again, let's go see them!" 'Oh, nah, I saw them back in 2011 when they toured.' "Yeah, but they've got new material they're playing this time!" 'Well then hell yeah, let's go!'

I think the good reviews have caused new people to want to attend the shows, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who attended shows in 2011 and 2012 want to see them again. So no, I don't think it is a terrible move. I do think that focusing on a new record is a better move, but keeping on touring is not a bad move at all.

If they come back, for a ton of people it'll be like: "Guns N' Roses are touring again, let's go see them!" 'Oh, nah, I saw them back in 2011 when they toured.'

But, if they had some new material in the set, it'd be like: "Guns N' Roses are touring again, let's go see them!" 'Oh, nah, I saw them back in 2011 when they toured.' "Yeah, but they've got new material they're playing this time!" 'Well then hell yeah, let's go!'

What you don't take into consideration is that most people attending the shows doesn't care much about new music, or old new music like CD songs, at all. They are there for the nostalgia trip, to listen to old material and have a nice concert. They don't care if the setlist is the same, as long as they had fun the last time they will have fun again.

I think the good reviews have caused new people to want to attend the shows, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who attended shows in 2011 and 2012 want to see them again. So no, I don't think it is a terrible move. I do think that focusing on a new record is a better move, but keeping on touring is not a bad move at all.

What you don't take into consideration is that most people attending the shows doesn't care much about new music, or old new music like CD songs, at all. They are there for the nostalgia trip, to listen to old material and have a nice concert. They don't care if the setlist is the same, as long as they had fun the last time they will have fun again.

If I wanted a nostalgia act I would be pro reunion.

It's not that I'm not gonna see them again during the Euro tour but after that I really hope there will be some work done for a future release.

tl;dr

Wow. You must have never read a book in your life if THAT is too long.

I came here for the "Could be more US dates after July?" subtitle. I couldn't care less about whatever Tommy has to say. And yes, I have read many books, probably more than your entire family have. No disrespect intended. :tongue2:

Edited by pi2loc