we got them to play "estranged" - how about "coma"?

Estranged Reality

obviously axl reads these forums, as we know by now, and i think he saw all us fans over the years pining to hear "estranged."

to me, "coma" has always been to UYI I what "estranged" is to UYI II. i'd love to hear it played nowadays. i'm not trying to start a dumb 'petition' like the "oh my god" bullshit that pervaded this forum for way too long (not that i wouldn't have liked to hear them play that, btw), but i am curious as to whether anyone else is really itchin' to hear this song. if i could ask to hear guns n' roses play any song right now, it would be coma. if i could ask for two, it would be coma and yesterdays.

Edited by Estranged Reality

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he personally thanked slash for his contributions to 'estranged' in the liner notes for UYI II, so i doubt that would be the primary reason for him not performing it. i do think it is energetically more exhausting than any other GN'R track (it's like 9 minutes long with an exasperating outro) -- i would assume that might be the biggest reason they wouldn't play it.

I don't think Guns will ever play Coma again but if they did here's how I think they should do it;

After the band have finished Paradise City they should leave the stage and the stage should be covered in darkness. Then a heart monitor should appear on the video screens and the band return to the stage for a special encore of Coma.

I posted this idea in a different thread a while ago.

:(

you guys suck!

so pessimistic!

Maybe Im just silently hoping Axl reads what I said, takes offence, and goes out and tears it a new one :shades:

Love Coma, one of GNR's finest moments

BTW - that note Slash hits at the end of the solo on that video you posted (6.57s) is insane!....

LA

Edited by LA_0013

yeah, to be honest with you i think that's one of my top 10 go-to live performances of all-time...it's amazingly epic. there used to be a version on youtube that didn't cut off the last few seconds.

as much as the earlier '88/'89 bare-bones version of gn'r may define what they were all about, that kind of UYI tour performance is what i typically think of when i remember GN'R's old shows. epic. bombastic. axl's voice in a whole other league.

You are right Coma is my favorite Gnr song of all time. Axl had said back then when he wrote it that it was probably the best lyrics he had ever wrote. If you read the lyrics, they are very deep and metaphoric of a personal experience.

I think Axl could probably sing it better now as he has learnt to pace himself better through a gig. I always thought it would be cool to end the concert with this song. It sums up what Gnr is. They will give u some but not everything but u know they can give you more but they won't. Then again the concert could always end right now if someone pisses of Axl or will they even turn up at all.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl accepting calls to play these classics raises doubts over his aspirations for new GN’R. In the infant stages of this band Axl wanted to showcase new songs and include the essential old tracks in order to facilitate CD songs engaging the masses. Now it seems because of the commercial limitation of CD he’s content to bow to requests, make a couple of bucks, exploit whatever’s left of CD and then maybe throw out an album in the vein of Appetite.

"we" didn't get them to play shiiiiot.

if you didn't think the fans creating a gazillion topics about 'estranged' leading up to the tour had nothing to do with them even considering it, you're deluded.

i'm not saying we single-handedly made them play it or anything. but there was an influx of topics prior to the tour, and so i don't think it's coincidental that they ended up playing it this year. didn't people 'tweet' bumblefoot about it months ago or something? anyway, doesn't really matter...

tell Ron :thumbsup: he was playing "estanged" chords in his solo, for years .. and now we have the song in the setlist, maybe that's the way

yeah, that's what i was referring to in my post...i know people were asking him all the time (because of his solo) to play the full track. i'm sure axl and co. didn't ignore those comments. it's definitely not a coincidence they started playing the song this tour.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

If the nostalgia trip continues I don’t think I can argue against a reunion. Hopefully, as reports claim, new songs will be rehearsed on the upcoming Euro tour.

i'm not trying to start a dumb 'petition' like the "oh my god" bullshit that pervaded this forum for way too long (not that i wouldn't have liked to hear them play that, btw),

So,that's lame..

if i could ask to hear guns n' roses play any song right now, it would be coma.

..but a personal "request" isn't

:lol:

Well, I think it's very impossible. When the original band was around they played Coma few times, it's a song that consumed Axl's voice and energy even when he was at his best. He can't handle it right now but.. it'd be amazing to hear that song again.