Reading And Leeds Festivals boss: 'I wouldn't book the current Guns N' Roses again', but would definitely book the original line-up

Original GNR

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/62715

March 19, 2012 14:38

Reading And Leeds Festivals boss: 'I wouldn't book the current Guns N' Roses again'

Melvin Benn says he'd definitely book the original line-up if they reformed though

The organiser of the Reading And Leeds Festivals has ruled out booking the current line-up of Guns N' Roses again, but revealed he'd love to get the band's original line-up to play the event.

The band last played the event in 2010 and were booed by the crowd after arriving onstage more than an hour late. They also indicated that they were "declaring war" on the festival's promoters after their set was also cut short in Leeds. You can see footage of the fans' reaction at Reading 2010 by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking.

Melvin Benn, chief executive of organisers Festival Republic, who had previously said that he would definitely book the band again, told NME that he would not consider booking the 'Chinese Democracy' rockers again in their current state.

He said when asked if he'd have Axl Rose and co back at Reading And Leeds Festivals: "I wouldn’t have the current line-up, certainly not at the moment. It doesn’t feel right."

Then asked if he'd consider booking the band's original line-up, Benn replied he certainly would and that he'd make sure they all "had a watch each".

Asked about this, he replied: "Of course if it was the original line-up, I would definitely consider it and if they could tell the time, it would be fantastic. With the original line-up it would be something very special. We’d have to give them all a watch each, but we’d certainly try to get them if they reformed."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only fair...I mean...What did you guys expect ?

He warned them, they had it their way : fine.

But you can't really expect the organizer to get fooled twice, can you ?

implying if a reunion happens they will be on time...

it's all about money.

Edited by bumblecool

it's all about money.

Well...yes.

He's a concert organizer so that's his job : making sure the bands he books make the festival some money.

Not wanting to book a band that makes a mess of itself and of the festival while wasting his money makes sense business wise so I don't see how he's an idiot.

The Original band would do the same but I highly doubt concert-goers would care as much as they did back in 2010 if they show up late, hence why he'd book them in a heartbeat.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

it's all about money.

Well...yes.

He's a concert organizer so that's his job : making sure the bands he books make the festival some money.

Not wanting to book a band that makes a mess of itself and of the festival while wasting his money makes sense business wise so I don't see how he's an idiot.

The Original band would do the same but I highly doubt concert-goers would care as much as they did back in 2010 if they show up late, hence why he'd book them in a heartbeat.

Sometimes don't you just have to shake your head at some of the posters on here? Admire their loyalty I guess.

Only in Nutterville is it bad for an event organizer to try and make a profit with his business.

I guess they do have a point. Axl plays most of his shows for free, or at least has some of the lowest ticket prices out there......oh wait. Nevermind.

Yes...

There's being a fan...and then there's being blind.

I mean, how many of you who are calling the guy an idiot would do the same if he was talking of a band you hate ?

"Meh...I wouldn't book Justin Bieber again. Dude showed up late, declared war on my festival, and even held a protest when I told him to get the fuck off my stage. Nah. Won't book him again."

Sure. What an idiot. :rolleyes:

Yes...

I mean, how many of you who are calling the guy an idiot would do the same if he was talking of a band you hate ?

"Meh...I wouldn't book Justin Bieber again. Dude showed up late, declared war on my festival, and even held a protest when I told him to get the fuck off my stage. Nah. Won't book him again."

"if Bieber comes with Vannessa Hugdes i will definitive book him, he will show up late, declare war on my festival and maybe protest when i told him to get the fuck off my stage, but yeah if they come i will book them"

sure what a moron!

Yes...

"if Bieber comes with Vannessa Hugdes i will definitive book him, he will show up late, declare war on my festival and maybe protest when i told him to get the fuck off my stage, but yeah if they come i will book them"

sure what a moron!

The point is, festival organisers would be willing to take the chance of the band showing up late if it was the old band reformed, because the pros would far outweigh the cons from going on stage late. A reformed classic line-up would

be fucking huge. No festival organiser or concert promoter would turn down that opportunity.

"if Bieber comes with Vannessa Hugdes i will definitive book him, he will show up late but WHO CARES ( I won't tell him to leave lol with all the tickets he helped sell I can afford paying some fine, besides the public will love the festival for having him, I mean, do you know how many years they have waited for that to happen ? Surely they can wait two hours more for the show to start )."

What a business savvy move !

Fixed.

"The Original band would do the same but I highly doubt concert-goers would care as much as they did back in 2010 if they show up late, hence why he'd book them in a heartbeat. "

So of course no one would care if Axl pulled whatever as long as the old band is right there with him, of course $ talks. If anything one should'nt take any kind of ish, I don't care what lineup or whomever is playing. Of course another is trying to send the "we'll like you Axl again if you play with Slash or whomever again" waves to Axl like he's supposed to drop everything at this moment in order to get in some graces again. Maybe it'll happen, may be it won't in the future all I know is what I've been saying was proven.

That said cafc is right he doesn't owe them anything if that's what they're thinking.

Edited by Nicc

Besides him repeating his mistakes (Did the guy book them again this year?) how is the guy wrong? I am surprised a lot of places don't refuse GN'R, and this isn't hate on them. I like some of the guys in the new band. However, calling a banana yellow isn't exactly being an idiot.