A way to release CD II..

Russel Nash

I do think a simple rocker with clear riff and clear understandable lyrics...wait that sounds like selling out to me.

Well, yes I suppose. I guess all you really need is a catchy riff and relatable lyrics (like SCOM) but it also needs a unique element imo. The perfect song would be just generic enough to be accepted by large variety of people but inventive and unique enough so that people can't just turn around and say, "Man, that's cheesy" or "That's so generic, no originality what-so-ever. Axl's selling out!"

But that's expecting too much, we don't after all live in a perfect world. :rolleyes:

Sorry is pretty close I guess. It helped that it was GNRs first hit. Now people say SOD or Better soundca bit like SCOM.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry is pretty close I guess. It helped that it was GNRs first hit. Now people say SOD or Better soundca bit like SCOM.

Yes but most people (who know Sorry is by GnR anyway) dismiss it as a bitter/bitchy song.

And really? I always though SOD was a little in the vein of November Rain/Don't Cry and Better... idk, never sounded like any of the old GnR stuff. Neither sounded like SCOM to me... so the fact that people thinks that is interesting...

The only song that sort of reminded me of SCOM on CD was probably... TWAT? But that was more in the sense that the song explodes when the solo hits and the way the outro has a build up of Axl's voice letting loose coupled with awesome guitar work which (structurally) seemed to be like SCOM imo, not in the way it sounds though...

Edited by KiraMPD

I know your heart is in the right place, but this makes no sense with respect to a band like Guns N' Roses. If it's a fledgling art project or indie group that has no other means to obtain resources necessary to 1) produce their art 2) sustain themselves then I can understand this model. But why the fuck would anyone donate or raise money to a corporation (and make no bones about it, that's what Guns N' Roses is) like Guns N' Roses who will never run out of sources to fund their productions. I'm not giving money to someone who owns a mansion in Malibu and drives cars worth more money than I'll probably make in a lifetime. If Axl and the band truly believed in their work, then they can fund it themselves far easier than the fans can. Do I get a return on my investment? Better question, do I even get a free album when it's released (which is a big if in and of itself judging how Chinese Democracy went) or will I have to buy one even with my investment?

In my opinion, this is like Coca Cola asking for funds by those people who drink their product to fund their next soft drink.

Moreover, just because you like Chinese Democracy doesn't mean you'll like the next album. What if it sucks? How would feel then having help invested in a crap album? Unless I get some sort of equity stake in the project itself, I will support the project on the back end once I'm able to determine the artistic value as it applies to me. If I like it I'll buy the album, buy a t-shirt and buy a ticket to the next show or two. But the notion of millionaires asking fans to spring for production costs is absolutely horrendous.

Josh Freeze (remember him) did something like this a few years ago with his solo album and was vilified by both fans and the media alike. He got so much flack for it he had to acknowledge that it was more of a media stunt as the album was already finished and produced. You really think this would look good from a PR point of view with respect to a band like Guns N' Roses and a man like Axl Rose?

Cheers,

Andrew

I do think a simple rocker with clear riff and clear understandable lyrics...wait that sounds like selling out to me.

Well, yes I suppose. I guess all you really need is a catchy riff and relatable lyrics (like SCOM) but it also needs a unique element imo. The perfect song would be just generic enough to be accepted by large variety of people but inventive and unique enough so that people can't just turn around and say, "Man, that's cheesy" or "That's so generic, no originality what-so-ever. Axl's selling out!"

But that's expecting too much, we don't after all live in a perfect world. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on this.

The best momentum builder would be to play new songs on the upcoming tour. Bands used to do this. They would test out new material while on tour. Heck, GnR used to do this. Even back in the formation of this "new" GnR, I saw them in 2002 and they played The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy and Rhiad.

Playing 3-4 songs that are going to be on an album that is released in a few months is a good thing and gets people interested in hearing the rest of the album. And, even if you are sure if those 4 songs are going to be on the next album, then you get the chance to see how the audience reacts to them - and you can decide to keep or scrap them.

Looking back over it, I think the four songs I would have went for live before CD came out (Assuming it wouldn't be 6 years later, but coming out the same year) would have been

Better - I am still surprised that it didn't become a hit

Shackler's - sounds great live, a side to GNR nobody has heard before

IRS - probably the most poppyish top 40 radio friendly song

The Blues - imo, the best of the ballads.

And then maybe just at one show, bust out TWAT or Catcher, and just play it one time.

This band can put out amazing 3-hour rock shows every night in the USA, but at $100 a ticket and basically the same songs as the prior tours through the same states, the attendance really isn't going to rise. But start putting out some new music, and I predict that GnR starts playing in arenas that are 90% full instead of 60%.

Yes but most people (who know Sorry is by GnR anyway) dismiss it as a bitter/bitchy song.

And really? I always though SOD was a little in the vein of November Rain/Don't Cry and Better... idk, never sounded like any of the old GnR stuff. Neither sounded like SCOM to me... so the fact that people thinks that is interesting...

The only song that sort of reminded me of SCOM on CD was probably... TWAT? But that was more in the sense that the song explodes when the solo hits and the way the outro has a build up of Axl's voice letting loose coupled with awesome guitar work which (structurally) seemed to be like SCOM imo, not in the way it sounds though...

Bitter n' Bitchy? :huh:

I hear a cool Floyd-esque groove,and some venomous lyrics.

I suppose Shackler's is a "serial killah" song :rolleyes:

Way to label things.

I just think it was a damn shame that those Better and Paradise City, Harley Davidson adverts were pulled. They would have been popular across the country no doubt, and even across the world if shown.

My guess is that Merck set this up with Harley Davidson, thinking that Chinese Democracy was certain to drop in Nov/Dec 2006.

What a shame, as the Better version of the advert was brilliant. rock2

I just think it was a damn shame that those Better and Paradise City, Harley Davidson adverts were pulled. They would have been popular across the country no doubt, and even across the world if shown.

My guess is that Merck set this up with Harley Davidson, thinking that Chinese Democracy was certain to drop in Nov/Dec 2006.

Indeed, my friend:

Indeed, my friend:

This would be a cool concept for the Better video too, with professional footage from 2006 as well...

It could have even included footage of Axl with the goats, a kind of like Estranged-esque throwback. I just think it would have been a cool idea for the goats to have been a concept with the whole Better video and single release.

The song just seems to work so great with goats... rock2

Indeed, my friend:

This would be a cool concept for the Better video too, with professional footage from 2006 as well...

It could have even included footage of Axl with the goats, a kind of like Estranged-esque throwback. I just think it would have been a cool idea for the goats to have been a concept with the whole Better video and single release.

Indeed, Better video would have worked magically with goats all over the place. It would be exceptional, magical.

Seriously... this is the worst idea I've ever heard. I would laugh so much at Axl interacting with goats that I wouldn't be able to take him seriously once again - like I can't take Better Gone seriously. Not taking a shot at you by any means, but this would be ridiculous imo :lol:

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Way to label things.

Look, I call it like I hear it. And its not just me, a lot of people hear that song (the ones that know a little about GnR history anyway) and think that Axl's being bitter about Slash/media/fans. You said it, it has venomous lyrics indeed and its message is quite clear.

People will always "label things", pretty much human nature.

That does not bare on whether or not I like or don't like the song, I simply stated what I had observed so no need to jump down my throat.

:rolleyes:

Edited by KiraMPD

Indeed, my friend:

Indeed, Better video would have worked magically with goats all over the place. It would be exceptional, magical.

Seriously... this is the worst idea I've ever heard. I would laugh so much at Axl interacting with goats that I wouldn't be able to take him seriously once again - like I can't take Better Gone seriously. Not taking a shot at you by any means, but this would be ridiculous imo :lol:

Estranged = Dolphins

Better = Goats

Am I the only one seeing this... rock4

Way to label things.

Look, I call it like I hear it. And its not just me, a lot of people hear that song (the ones that know a little about GnR history anyway) and think that Axl's being bitter about Slash/media/fans. You said it, it has venomous lyrics indeed and its message is quite clear.

People will always "label things", pretty much human nature.

That does not bare on whether or not I like or don't like the song, I simply stated what I had observed so no need to jump down my throat.

:rolleyes:

That was several hundred kilometers from a "Jump" and you haven't given me reason to go for the jugular.It was simply my observation of your observation.

It is unfortunate that most people feel a need to label things as to not challenge their mindset or preconcieved ideas about,people and situations.

That said,I reserve my pool of rage for real life,or channel it into several options in real life.Seems a waste to blow it on some internet nonsensical issue.

:roll eyes back to you:

Edited by sailaway

• 6 months later...

Axl doesn't owe us anything.

We don't owe Axl anything.

If he (and the label) want to release a new album - then millions of people will purchase it.

MSL,

Since you know a bit more about the music industry than the average person on here, I respectfully ask your opinion on this.

There are some "what ifs" in this question - so just go with it. I'm not insinuating I know exactly what happened, nor am I making any false accusations. Just looking at the past and wondering.

So apparently Axl was unhappy with the label's handling of the release of CD. Some people say the leaks changed the songs that were supposed to be released, pushed up the release date, the booklet had mistakes, etc. Axl chose not to really promote the album once it was released, other than to tour.

From that, there "could" be conflict right now between Axl and the label. Maybe they don't want to invest more money, they want guarantees that Axl will promote it, maybe they want song changes, maybe Axl is still mad about the CD release. Maybe Axl still thinks GnR are the top of the food change and wants a higher amount of money or label dedication. (Again, these are just possibilities based on what little we do actually know).

If Axl was mad that the label wasn't falling all over themselves to release the next album..........could Axl give them a big "f*ck-you" by playing all the songs slated for CD2 at the upcoming show?

If Axl doesn't really care about the money aspect (he is apparently very wealthy). Could he say "Hello Las Vegas, the label is trying to hold me down and being pricks about us releasing new music....so hear you go!" And then play the entire album.

If the label legally owns the next one or two GnR albums.............and several albums of material were recorded during the CD sessions..........could Axl legally put those songs out there for free - via a live show? Or does the label "own" those and Axl has to get their approval to play them live?

At first thought it sounds silly.........but if Axl was mad at the label for their lack of effort towards releasing the next album, and/or still mad about how they released CD..........this would sure be a big F-U to them and a huge treat for the fans.

Assuming that the problem for which we do not hear new music is for lack of money. The record companies do not invest in rock music anymore because they believe it`s not a safe bet.

If this is the case, I think I have the solution.

For some time I have been following this website called http://www.kickstarter.com :

"Kickstarter is the world's largest Funding platform for creative projects. Every week, tens of Thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields."

A notable example is the following article from Forbes magazine:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/14/how-double-fine-raised-3-3-million-on-kickstarter-and-changed-game-financing-forever/

From this project, which it raised over 3.3 million on an audience totally outside the mainstream gamers, other projects are raising millions based on the same philosophy.

The plan is that we found the project, the new music, the distribution if necessary based on his system.

Kickstarter never run into a giant like Guns N Roses, all projects are underground/indie projects. I think we can raise millions in a blink of an eye and incidentally make a before and after in the music industry. Money talks..

Can you imagine how much money we can get for the Project? How many of us we would be willing to pay a lot for new music and extras?

I hope someone on the GNR Camp are considering such moves if money is the problem.

What are your thoughts about this?

Stupid idea.

1. There is no demand for CDII outside of this forum.

2. Axl has enough money.

3. Axl is way too stubborn and too much of a perfectionist to release a product he's not completely satisfied with (aka which he hasn't ruined with horrible overproduction).

4. If CD is anything to go by, I have NO intention to horribly overpay for CD II. Not worth the money. In fact when they release it I might even wait a month or two until it's in the sale bin for 2,50. Just to compensate.

5. And I can't stress this enough: There is no demand for CDII outside of this forum.

Edited by username

Assuming that the problem for which we do not hear new music is for lack of money. The record companies do not invest in rock music anymore because they believe it`s not a safe bet.

For some time I have been following this website called http://www.kickstarter.com :

"Kickstarter is the world's largest Funding platform for creative projects. Every week, tens of Thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/14/how-double-fine-raised-3-3-million-on-kickstarter-and-changed-game-financing-forever/

From this project, which it raised over 3.3 million on an audience totally outside the mainstream gamers, other projects are raising millions based on the same philosophy.

The plan is that we found the project, the new music, the distribution if necessary based on his system.

Kickstarter never run into a giant like Guns N Roses, all projects are underground/indie projects. I think we can raise millions in a blink of an eye and incidentally make a before and after in the music industry. Money talks..

Can you imagine how much money we can get for the Project? How many of us we would be willing to pay a lot for new music and extras?

I hope someone on the GNR Camp are considering such moves if money is the problem.

Stupid idea.

2. Axl has enough money.

3. Axl is way too stubborn and too much of a perfectionist to release a product he's not completely satisfied with (aka which he hasn't ruined with horrible overproduction).

4. If CD is anything to go by, I have NO intention to horribly overpay for CD II. Not worth the money. In fact when they release it I might even wait a month or two until it's in the sale bin for 2,50. Just to compensate.

5. And I can't stress this enough: There is no demand for CDII outside of this forum.

Lack of demand hasn't stopped anybody else. Especially when referring to past and present members of GN'R.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Stupid idea.

2. Axl has enough money.

You must be working with a census and statistics organization, thanks for the info.

I get it, there's no demand for cd2, but plenty for the new Amanda Palmer record?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amandapalmer/amanda-palmer-the-new-record-art-book-and-tour?ref=card

Stupid idea.

2. Axl has enough money.

You must be working with a census and statistics organization, thanks for the info.

I get it, there's no demand for cd2, but plenty for the new Amanda Palmer record?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amandapalmer/amanda-palmer-the-new-record-art-book-and-tour?ref=card

there's plenty of demand for the new aerosmith record "music from another dimension" coming november 6th, 2012 at a local record store near you

so there should be the same demand for a 2012 release of cd2 from guns n roses