i can't begin to imagine the dynamic that was GNR II

tange

Guest gunns5

New GNR was the Axl and Bucket show as far as I'm concerned. I don't give a fuck about ever hearing a new album written by the current touring lineup. I'd fire the whole band today if it meant that Buckethead would come back.

This ^^^^^^^

After seeing Finck on stage (via youtube/ and photos) it's hard not to want him back and bucket. Maybe its a little nostalgia, but god damn Axl was onto something special 10 years ago.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New GNR was the Axl and Bucket show as far as I'm concerned. I don't give a fuck about ever hearing a new album written by the current touring lineup. I'd fire the whole band today if it meant that Buckethead would come back.

This ^^^^^^^

After seeing Finck on stage (via youtube/ and photos) it's hard not to want him back and bucket. Maybe its a little nostalgia, but god damn Axl was onto something special 10 years ago.

The thing that Bucket and Robin gave the band was a new direction! They were in my opinion the key to moving out of the shadow of the AFD lineup. Maybe not in terms of commercial success but certainly in creating a new sound distinct enough from the old band to get them recognition as a band in their own right. I like the new guys but they're too close in style and image to the old guys for my liking.

That was the first line up of the band I became familiar with besides the original line up, and I don't really recall being a huge fan of it, but I do remember it was interesting as fuck at the very least. And listening constantly to the 2002 live versions of the new songs as the only little morsels we had was, well, unique too. I'll never forget the "OK Nevermind!" in The Blues.

That was the first line up of the band I became familiar with besides the original line up, and I don't really recall being a huge fan of it, but I do remember it was interesting as fuck at the very least. And listening constantly to the 2002 live versions of the new songs as the only little morsels we had was, well, unique too. I'll never forget the "OK Nevermind!" in The Blues.

Yeah I still sing that to myself to this day when I listen to that song and I still refer to it as The Blues. Was 2001 though no?

Guest gunns5

This ^^^^^^^

The thing that Bucket and Robin gave the band was a new direction! They were in my opinion the key to moving out of the shadow of the AFD lineup. Maybe not in terms of commercial success but certainly in creating a new sound distinct enough from the old band to get them recognition as a band in their own right. I like the new guys but they're too close in style and image to the old guys for my liking.

Yeah I can empathize with that,

What makes me worried is that in all the dj interviews, particularly the recent ones, hes adamant about being true 'to gnrs original sound' etc, which would actually be counterproductive to what Axl/bucket/'new band' has created with chinese democracy.

CD is what DEFINED the '2000+' era and a continuation of that would be the only thing that makes sense, staying 'true' to gnr in regards to the old band isn't Axls intent anyway, factoring in everything Axl has said in the years in regards to new music.

I don't think Dj knows what is expected of him, or worse, maybe he knows what is expected of him but can't create something on that level.

im optimistic though Axl will choose quality verse loyalty

It seems pointless to go old school without the old lineup. I'd rather have current Slash trying to ape old Slash than DJ trying to ape old Slash.

Again I totally agree with Randy on that.

Yeah I still sing that to myself to this day when I listen to that song and I still refer to it as The Blues. Was 2001 though no?

Yeah, it was, but also in general listening to different live versions of Madagascar and Silkworms and The Blues. It was so cool hunting out different live versions with different parts.

Wow, look at you people romanticizing that group.

Gn'R was mysterious then, sure. That part, retrospectively, was cool. They were a freak show. They created some awesome songs.

But people going so far as to say it SOLIDIFIED the legend of Gn'R? Sorry, folks, that legend was written years before I ever heard of the guy with the KFC bucket on his head.

It seems pointless to go old school without the old lineup. I'd rather have current Slash trying to ape old Slash than DJ trying to ape old Slash.

Derek :coolface:

Andrea :coolface:

Derek :coolface:

Andrea :coolface:

:awesome:

;)

I don't think they'll go old school with Dj, they might go 00s new skool. Ron almost has a Dream Theatre sensibility, Dj seems to be pretty up-to-date. I haven't really followed the chain of influences but there's this operatic Evanescence, My Chemical Romance LA vampire, Twilight, Resident Evil soundtrack, kind of gothic glam metal territory to explore. maybe even some Avenged Sevenfold inspiration. A Dexter inspired Salsa infused power ballad.

I know one thing for sure, this time period solidified GN'R's legendary status... because it made them so much more than an average rock band... it almost made them mythical.

The 2001-2002 period solidified GN'R's legendary status??? Hahahah :D

Edited by SoulMonster

I know one thing for sure, this time period solidified GN'R's legendary status... because it made them so much more than an average rock band... it almost made them mythical.

The 1991-1992 period maybe

Funny thread. When words like 'mythical' are thrown around thats kinda interesting.

If Chinese had never been released and the band vanished for good, the mystery would have been epic.

The reality is, the album was released, there were no hit singles or music video's, little to no radio airplay. 3 key members behind the new GN'R sound quit.

What followed appeared to be a desperate rush to find new members, some of whom were shoehorned onto the new album at the last minute.

The whole 'mythical' thing is non existent. I get the impression the 2012 line up is out to cover other bands music and rake in the cash to maybe fund a future album, and show possible future publishers record companies 'look we can do it, we can tour'

Uhm, yeah, some comments are really exaggerated, lol. That's really far from reality. They got all the attention at RIR 3 because they were GNR, not because Brain was there.

This ^^^^^^^

Here's the thing I don't get and I stress with people.. If you want a "new different sound" then go find a different band.. Because axl will always be compared to his past guns n roses.. There is nothing he can do to escape it, if he's still running with the gnr name..

This is the first time since new guns started that I' at least a little bit interested in the other band members other than Axl. Now is better than ever before for new guns. Much more activity and communication with the media.

I'm sure Axl will refrain from introducing old members on stage in the future, if he see's the morons in this forum who just start talking shit about current members as a result of it.

Some of you are just pathetic.

This ^^^^^^^

Here's the thing I don't get and I stress with people.. If you want a "new different sound" then go find a different band.. Because axl will always be compared to his past guns n roses.. There is nothing he can do to escape it, if he's still running with the gnr name..

I think that's kinda what I was trying to say but at least with the Bucket/Robin/Brain lineup they were sufficiently different to avoid the glorified cover band tag to a greater extent than today. I think that had we been on our third or even fourth album by the 01/02 lineup by now then there would be a much different attitute to things. I don't think it would have been such an enormous success but I think people would at least have been a little more willing to accept them as a band in their own right. Do I think they should have kept the GnR name? Personally it doesn't really concern me but GnR's always gonna be Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy to most people so that's something Axl needs to deal with.

I do think though that it's not the constant lineup changes that have hurt this band, rather the inabiity to maintain a public profile and release music on a fairly regular basis. Let me pose the following question and tell me you opinion? Do you think that had GnR circa 1993 continued to tour and release new music in the years between then and now as the lineup changed that people would be so hostile against Axl for keeping going under the GnR name? I mean if GnR remained in the spotlight constantly as each member left and was replaced one by one I think the attitude would have been vastly different.

The single biggest thing that hurt Axl was to disappear for years as all of this went on behind the scenes and debut a totally different band after years in hiding. I mean by the end of the Illusions tour GnR was effectively Axl, Slash and Duff and you didn't hear people screaming that it wasn't GnR, at least not to the same extent. I'd be willing to go as far as saying people wouldn't have kicked up a fuss if the tour had ended with only Axl and Slash still in the band from the original lineup and I think that had we seen a few hit records released post 04 then even Slash's departure wouldn't have been felt so deeply.

I think its the constant line up changes that are most destructive to the reputation of the band. In 1999 Spin magazine had a huge article introducing the current members at the time, and seemed willing to give the new band a fair shake. Lose one gutairist here, a drummer there, oh add a keyboard player, by the way my rythym gutair player doesnt wanna tour, it becomes a joke when people who really like the band have a hard time keeping track of the lineups. I think a lot of those years Axl spent out of sight were him trying to stop the grains of sand from slipping through his hands. And you cant really blame the guys who left, they signed on thinking they were going to be part of something that they had no way of knowing didnt really exist anymore.

But that's what made this band so real, is that they all were so extreme in their own way, when they came together everything was magical and exceptional.

First off, do you even know that they all 'came together'. By the sounds of things people would lay down their parts then things would be pieced together later.

Secondly, you sound like you've been watching too many Apple commercials with your 'magical', 'exceptional' crap. It's a rock band, get over it.

Thirdly, DJ rocks.

rio

Uhm, yeah, some comments are really exaggerated, lol. That's really far from reality. They got all the attention at RIR 3 because they were GNR, not because Brain was there.

I honestly wonder where a few of these rational-thought-challenged theories emerged from,I have an idea though :lol: