Why do you think Axl is so apprehensive to release new music?

ITW 2012

I've notice how a lot of new songs weren't written after Adler's departure and nothing was written after Izzy departed. Well songs were being written but it was more individual. In order for things to really progress the entire band had to be dismembered and reorganized until Axl was able to find himself a team he can write and record with. He was fixed on working with Paul but was getting nowhere with Slash and Matt.

No idea what Paul is up to, whether he is staying for writing but I wonder if they are on square one like it was in 1993 to 1996. Band has been touring for a long time, nothing seems to be getting done. But what is different is they already have stuff recorded so all they have to do is discuss what to do with the album to the last detail.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird Catcher -

The band really hasn't been touring that long. They took almost 2 1/2 years off the road before starting to tour after the release of the album. We don't know what was being worked on during that time. After a year of touring, they took another year off the road. We don't know what was being worked on during that time. For all we know, a lot could be getting done.

What we do know is that Axl still wants to work Chinese for a bit. Hopefully when the bands wraps up touring this year, they'll finish preparing the next album. All public comments point to that being the plan.

I just count every tour date since 2001. Though recently they've been playing half the album as oppose to three or four songs. I don't get why people call it a Greatest Hits tour when they've been playing deep cuts off Chinese.

Groghan -

I can't speak for others, but for me the difference is very clear. Someone who says want/like/wish vs. someone who says needs/has to/must.

Or someone who pulls the super lame "If Axl cared about the fans, he would do ___________."

Or, "Axl owes it to the fans to do _________."

That line of thinking is what I have a problem with. I have no problem with anybody expressing what they would prefer, or enjoy, or want, or wish would happen, or anything else that is a matter of opinion as opposed to projecting negative assumptions on to others.

I get what you are referring to.

But I'm not sure it is that black or white.

So where would you classify me?

Axl has been my favorite singer since 1987.

I've seen the band several times live, including a Seattle show in 2011 that is one of the best live shows I've ever been to.

I only "want" a reunion if it is something all the guys want to do. I loved the old band! But am not 100% sure that after 15 years apart they would step in a studio and have instant magic again.

I think that if Axl wanted to keep the GnR name alive, if the name meant that much to him, then he should have put out more music. Or he should be putting out more music. He should have did the entire rumored CD trilogy over the past decades. Or, he should be doing that now.

The way to keep the name alive and relevant, and to give the current band their due, to keep old fans happy, and to make new fans is really simple. Really simple. New music and awesome tours.

New albums. A box set of all the old CD songs, a couple songs from the new band, the rumored remixes, a concert dvd......do that and go continue this tour for another year. That would make money, satisfy fans, boost tour sales, positive press, etc. Then take a year vacation, meet up and record and release the next album, then go your again for years.

As a fan, I really do think that's all they have to do.

With that said. It is axls life and his band, and he can do whatever he wants with it. I'm sure he could not care less what my opinion is. But as a die-hard fan, that's what I wish my favorite singer would do. Release more music.

I loved CD. Would love a similar sounding album. And would love to hear what the current band could create. And I have no doubt that Axl is talented enough to release 14 songs every four years. And those 14 songs would do the GnR legacy proud.

I'm not demanding Axl do anything. But I think it is a shame that he doesn't want to put out new music more often. If the next album comes out two years from now, that is what, two albums in sixteen years?

I just wish my favorite singer put out more music.

Many good points. The lengths of the tours themselves were rather short. This was nothing compared to the 1990 to 1994 tour. Or whenever it began or ended.

I am just hoping this is the last tour for Chinese before they move on. I think he wants to make sure it impacts. Well wait and see what happens in Europe and perhaps Asia.

Not sure what is up with yet another North American tour though. If tour anywhere let it Asia and Australlia.

Edited by BirdCatcher

The wait for this next album is ridiculous. Most other bands can make absolutely stunning albums in 2 years max in this day and age. Maybe for Chinese Democracy Axl had an excuse but for this one he doesn't; especially since he already has an album basically wrapped up and ready to go.

The wait for this next album is ridiculous. Most other bands can make absolutely stunning albums in 2 years max in this day and age. Maybe for Chinese Democracy Axl had an excuse but for this one he doesn't; especially since he already has an album basically wrapped up and ready to go.

They really have no excuse now since they hit all the international markets(US included) post Chinese Democracy's release... If they hit Europe with no word on a new record and/or no new songs, things will get ugly around here lol.

Edited by Young_Gun

You're comparing apples to oranges. While your statement is technically correct, it ignores the fact that bands living the 2 year cycle are young bands trying to build their following. If you look at bands that had their biggest album in the 80s and have sold tens of millions of records, I think you'll find that 2 years between records is not common. The longer a band has been around, the bigger a band is, the longer it takes between records.

So what you label as a "ridiculous" wait (3 years so far), is very typical for a band of GNR's era and stature. Metallica is still out touring and their most recent album was released BEFORE Chinese Democracy. So let's not act like there's been some insane wait for the follow up to Chinese. If we're sitting here in 2014 and still don't have a new record, maybe then I'd start to agree with you. But now? No.

Death Magnetic was only released mere months(3) before Chinese Democracy and came out only 5 years after their last release(compared to TSI which was released 13 years prior) St. Anger. Metallica's follow up album will most likely be out before the next Guns N' Roses album too, it's already being written. Sorry, I do not see the correlation you are making. You want to compare apples with apples, make it fair. I'm not even counting UYI as Guns last release before Chidem just to give it worse case scenario and am not counting Metallica's 4 recently released tracks on Beyond Magnetic.

Edited by Young_Gun

I do hope they bring back TWAT and Catcher. Even Scraped and I.R.S. would be nice. TWAT and Catcher are destined to be crowed pleasers. I am not sure why Sorry is being played every night. It screws up the momentum. I like how they open with Chinese because it gets the song out there, feels like they are promoting it, but then they follow WTTJ which I feel should be put toward the end of the show, perhaps the last song.

Just wish you see Chinese Democracy sales go up and not Greatest Hits.

Dr. Brownstone -

Your attempt to hurt my feelings simply further proves my premise that the haters are simply looking to release built up negative energy caused by their own failings in life. If my physical condition is what you consider when determining whether to take my thoughts on the band seriously, that doesn't reflect poorly on me at all. That simply exposes how illogical and flawed your ability to analyze facts is.

The key to trolling is to at least appear to be genuine. You must have forgotten that part.

#trollbetter

blahh blahh....blah.....etc.

Death Magnetic was only released mere months(3) before Chinese Democracy and came out only 5 years after their last release(compared to TSI which was released 13 years prior) St. Anger. Metallica's follow up album will most likely be out before the next Guns N' Roses album too, it's already being written. Sorry, I do not see the correlation you are making. You want to compare apples with apples, make it fair. I'm not even counting UYI as Guns last release before Chidem just to give it worse case scenario and am not counting Metallica's 4 recently released tracks on Beyond Magnetic.

You guys need to make up your mind. Are we discussing the follow up to Chinese or are we still bitching about how long we waited for Chinese? Because if we're discussing the wait for the follow up, the comparison to Metallica is very fair.

Van Halen just put out their first album in 14 years. Do you think their next album will be out three years from now? I doubt it.

You brought up Metallica and compared their output to Guns. Again, Van Halen were disbanded for the majority of those 14 years and were not producing music or touring during that time. That's not comparing apples with apples. Guns were a band from 1998 at minimum, even 1999 and were recording songs since then. You cannot negate the period of lack of musical output that Guns had simply because we received an album 3 years ago. They were producing songs throughout those years.

Metallica are also well known for taking big gaps between albums. How about other big name 80's acts? Megadeth put out an album in 2009 and then in 2011. Bon Jovi put out an album in 2007 and 2009. Kiss put out an album in 2008 and have a release date for June this year for the follow up. The wait for Chinese and the follow up go hand in hand because the band was recording songs for both and did not go on hiatus like Van Halen.

Edited by Young_Gun

I've been saying this for years, the follow up to Van Halen III has been in the works as long as Chinese Democracy. The only difference is that the press focused more on the Reunions than the actual album. That sucker took a long time to make.

I've been saying this for years, the follow up to Van Halen III has been in the works as long as Chinese Democracy. The only difference is that the press focused more on the Reunions than the actual album. That sucker took a long time to make.

Sorry but that is untrue. A good portion of those songs was written back in the 80's and left on the shelf. The band as a collective did not have contact with eachother for many many years after the break up also, let alone record together. Certainly not the same situation as Guns post 1998.

Edited by Young_Gun

You guys need to make up your mind. Are we discussing the follow up to Chinese or are we still bitching about how long we waited for Chinese? Because if we're discussing the wait for the follow up, the comparison to Metallica is very fair.

Van Halen just put out their first album in 14 years. Do you think their next album will be out three years from now? I doubt it.

Dr. Brownstone -

Your attempt to hurt my feelings simply further proves my premise that the haters are simply looking to release built up negative energy caused by their own failings in life. If my physical condition is what you consider when determining whether to take my thoughts on the band seriously, that doesn't reflect poorly on me at all. That simply exposes how illogical and flawed your ability to analyze facts is.

The key to trolling is to at least appear to be genuine. You must have forgotten that part.

#trollbetter

blahh blahh....blah.....etc.

Very weak Brownstone. If "you're fat" and "blah blah blah" is all you can come up with, then you definitely need to #trollbetter

Sorry for offending you. That was a cheap shot. But honestly, it's really not something I care to spend time on. You annoy the hell outta me, especially with all that bullshit a few years ago. I don't know you personally, but really man, the way you tried describing me a few posts back, is exactly how I'd describe someone making prophetic predictions, without telling anyone how you know the shit. I think you're full of shit. And that's why you bother me.

To me GNR is an event album band. they don't just put filler albums to mark the time between more important albums. AFD, UYI, CD - all awesome high impact albums. If they get another one done in the next 10 years then great. sounds like they almost have another lined up.

You brought up Metallica and compared their output to Guns. Again, Van Halen were disbanded for the majority of those 14 years and were not producing music or touring during that time. That's not comparing apples with apples. Guns were a band from 1998 at minimum, even 1999 and were recording songs since then. You cannot negate the period of lack of musical output that Guns had simply because we received an album 3 years ago. They were producing songs throughout those years.

I compared the release of Metallica's most recent album to the release of GNR's most recent album. Please explain how that comparison is unfair. The release dates of the predecessors to those records are not germane to the argument.

You mention Van Halen being disbanded, yet ignore Izzy, Gilby, Slash, Matt, Duff, Freese, Huge, Robin, Bucket and Brain leaving. You say Van Halen wasn't touring during those 14 years, but that isn't true either. They did several tours. You say they weren't producing music, but that's not true either.

I'm not sure you even know what your point is. All I'm saying is the idea that there's been a "ridiculous" wait for the follow up to Chinese simply isn't true. If you look at the biggest bands from the 80s, you will find that 5-10 years between albums is typical. Suggesting that most bands release an album every other year is really disingenuous as that type of schedule rarely applies to bands that have been around 25 years and have a worldwide following.

I even said Guns have been a band since 1998 or 1999, I gave leeway for Slas, Duff etc leaving. Van Halen did not produce music for the whole 14 year hiatus either. Certainly not to the extent of Chinese Democracy.

Please tell us of other bands who wait 5-10 years between albums other than Metallica? I gave some examples. Are you saying Bon Jovi does not have worldwide following? They have been around since the 80's too.

To me GNR is an event album band. they don't just put filler albums to mark the time between more important albums. AFD, UYI, CD - all awesome high impact albums. If they get another one done in the next 10 years then great. sounds like they almost have another lined up.

Exactly, those albums were quality releases. Most bands just load their albums with fillers and have the hits on the first side of the LP or first four CD tracks. GN'R gives you your moneys worth. The only thing different is that there is no in between release like Lies or TSI?

After AFD they re-release Suicide has Lies with three new songs plus the original version of Crazy

TSI? They give us a whole album of cover songs to hold us over but getting the writing process took a lot longer than expected.

If only they gave us something to hold us over for the next release. It seems all that touring was meant to give us some great shows and hold us over for the next release.

Exactly, those albums were quality releases. Most bands just load their albums with fillers and have the hits on the first side of the LP or first four CD tracks. GN'R gives you your moneys worth. The only thing different is that there is no in between release like Lies or TSI?

After AFD they re-release Suicide has Lies with three new songs plus the original version of Crazy

TSI? They give us a whole album of cover songs to hold us over but getting the writing process took a lot longer than expected.

If only they gave us something to hold us over for the next release. It seems all that touring was meant to give us some great shows and hold us over for the next release.

That's true, they were never a band to put out an album every 2 years. However the one album of original material in 20 years thing is ludicrous...

Groghan -

"if the name meant that much to him, then he should have put out more music."

But see, that is you drawing your own negative conclusions. If Axl doesn't do what you say, then you arbitrarily conclude the GNR name doesn't mean that much to him, without considering any multitude of scenarios that would contradict that premise.

You mentioned that the show you went to in 2011 was one of the best live shows you've ever been to.

But it never occurs to you how much work Axl must put in to get to that point to where a once nearly dead band could be rebuilt almost from scratch and eventually be capable of delivering the quality of show that you witnessed.

And if Axl went through all that trouble. If Axl went through so much hell for so many years to stick to his guns and see his vision through the best he could, and in the end you go to the show and say WOW that show was great, well then maybe the GNR name means more to him than any of us could ever know?

Holy crap. Are you serious?

I think somebody has hacked your account. You used to be one of the more reasonable posters in here.

First off, you are doing exactly what you are accusing everybody else of doing towards Axl. Die-hard fans are voicing an opinion, based out of love and frustration, of their favorite band and YOU are implying negative status to all of it. I chewed out my son last night for getting a speeding ticket. Doesn't mean I don't love him and doesnt mean that I don't think that he isn't the greatest son in the world. YOU are taking bits and pieces of posts out of people's entire message and giving them bigger and deeper meanings than they deserve or were meant to be. And then you belittle the poster.

And, when did you become the expert in Axl and GnR? You keep bashing people and telling them how wrong they are and then you educate them on the "true" meanings and reasons.

Finally, as for your last post......really? I'm not an expert in the music industry. But I have been involved enough to know that putting on a successful show isn't akin to rocket science. Axl isn't the first and only performer with the ability to put together a quality band and go on tour. Lots of bands do it.

And inspite of what you might think, the only reason that it was - in your words - so incredibly hard for Axl to put all this together solely rests on one man's shoulders. Any guesses as to who that is?

What is the one constant?

Firing producer after producer after producer?

14 million for the album?

Why did slash, Duff, Matt, Izzy, finck, bucket all quit?

Who in the old band burned bridges in the music industry by treating the media like pricks, for cancelling shows, for going on stage up to 2 hours late, etc, etc, etc.

So ya I guess you are correct. It probably did take a tremendous amount of work to put this all together. And the reason it took so much work was because of Axl.

Back in 1999 or 2000 in an interview Axl said they had two albums worth of material completed. The label was BEGGING Axl to release an album. Begging. Offering million dollar bonuses for the album. So 12 years later we have one album and nothing but touring on the radar for the future.

CD in 2002, next one in 2006, next one in 2010 and I promise you that putting on an outstanding concert in 2011 would have been pretty simple.

So feel free to label me a cupcake and a hater. I'm not a singer or professional band manager. But it doesn't take a genius to figure some basic things out. I've never played pro basketball or been an NBA gm before, but I know that Kobe Bryant is going to win my team more championships than Steve alford.

Please tell us of other bands who wait 5-10 years between albums other than Metallica?

Sure. I just googled "biggest bands of the 80s." The first result was a list of the "100 Greatest Rock Artists of the 1980's." Here is a link: http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists80pop.html

So, hopefully there is no argument over the bands I'm choosing to mention as I'm using an impartial list that was found in a fair and random matter. I'll be focusing on acts in the top 20 of the list since I'd previously said the bigger a band is, the longer it takes between albums.

First on the list is Michael Jackson. The wait between his two most recent studio albums was six years (1995-2001). He died eight years after his last studio album without releasing a follow up.

Fourth on the list is U2. Five years passed between their two most recent studio albums (2004-2009). Three years have passed since without releasing a follow up.

Van Halen is seventh on the list, and as already mentioned, went 14 years between releases.

Phil Collins is eleventh on the list and eight years passed between his two most recent studio albums.

Def Leppard is 13th on the list and six year passed between their two most recent studio albums.

#17 is Metallica and over five years have passed since their last record and the record before that was five years prior. Their most recent album was released before Chinese Democracy and hasn't had a follow up yet.

#20 is AC/DC and eight years passed between their two most recent studio albums. Their most recent album was released before Chinese Democracy and hasn't had a follow up yet.

Thanks. Still doesn't hold a candle to Guns N' Roses though man. That list does fail to recognize the musical output over a bands whole career though. Metallica have put out 4 albums of original material since 1995, Guns have put out 1. Again Van Halen were not a properly functioning band in those 14 years so I consider that void, I gave leeway in saying Guns re-established as a band in 1999 after a 5 year hiatus. U2 have also put out a plethora of albums since 1995. Again, because the recording sessions from GnR were from 1999 til 2006 at least and those said sessions produced songs like The General, Seven, Jackie Chan etc, we can't just say the time from 1999-2006 was used just for CD and now they are recording a new record....

That's true, they were never a band to put out an album every 2 years. However the one album of original material in 20 years thing is ludicrous...

It is, but a lot of that was the slow writing process. Axl needed a second songwriter like Izzy, when he left there was No way he could communicate with Slash, since Axl was firm on keeping Paul Huge a man Slash could not stand that pretty much ended Slash's time I'm the band. Then came the hunt for new members, Robin Finck came and went, Buckethead joined and changed everything. Robin rejoined, Brain rejoined and Axl had him record over all of Josh Freeses parts, then Roy Thomas Baker was brought in to produce and he probably did the most damage by making them record everything again and cost them millions. Buckethead leaves and this leaves Axl and Carmen to comp stuff until Ron Thal finally joined and added his finishing touches.

Azoff had a lot to do with the release, but he may have some shady things up his sleeve.

They kind of owned the 90s. So really we didn't really start thinking about a new record until 2000. So whole 14 years since 91 is a bit misleading. There is a bit of lag to 2008 but there was Live Era and a GH. I think if a follow up comes in the next few years from those CD era songs then that would cover it. I think it makes sense to be cautious, Axl is really re-writing the book. I don't really know of a band that put on arguably better shows with a new line up. I don't think we are hurting for albums really.

Remember when Trent Reznor took over five years to produce his music for NIN and how spectacular the results were? I mean to go from Pretty Hate Machine to The Downward Spiral is quite a leap.

The problem with the 90's is that there were so many creative movements that Axl can get inspired from. Grunge, Industrial, Nu Metal, hip hop. When the 00's proved to be more revival of older music then electronic music, it finally gave Axl the space he needed to incorporate all of that into Chinese Democracy and future releases. This trend in music continues to this day so he still has the room to do it.