Why do you think Axl is so apprehensive to release new music?

ITW 2012

Axl seems to have just taken on influences naturally. It's like AFD started back in the 70s and CD started in the 90s. But GNR still has it's dynamics. The diversity of the 90s has really left it open for anyone to do what they like. CD mixed up those influences with 70s and modern rock. Seems natural thing to do, not try to pigeonhole yourself.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl seems to have just taken on influences naturally. It's like AFD started back in the 70s and CD started in the 90s. But GNR still has it's dynamics. The diversity of the 90s has really left it open for anyone to do what they like. CD mixed up those influences with 70s and modern rock. Seems natural thing to do, not try to pigeonhole yourself.

He's like a sponge. Absorbs all the music he likes around him.

I hope to God he hates Metalcore.

In order for the next album to be really good, five years seems reasonable. The good news is that not much is going on in music unless Axl wants to make a country album.

He's like a sponge. Absorbs all the music he likes around him.

I hope to God he hates Metalcore.

someone was saying how the break down in Better is very metal core. I could see a Bat Country or Fever type GNR song. I'm not really sure what metal core is really.

but the more OTT end of metal core. I guess he's safe really with Dj and Fortus, not sure what Ron would really come up with some his solos bring Dream Theatre to mind.

Evanescence when I listen to that the operatic guitars and piano with big vocals makes me think of Axl. I wonder what would influence a new direction. But it's just as possible he lost interested with the current rock scene? like the Drive soundtrack is electro pop songs and atmospheres.

Edited by wasted

Okay maybe I was a little ignorant about Metalcore, I can see that break in Better as Metalcore.

It just seems that whatever he is listening to, he puts his own spin on it. When asked what music he is listening to now, he doesn't seem to be interested in what is going on, which could mean he is not interested in writing new music right now. Could mean te next album is well under way.

Ron and Fortus' work are probably already done, I think DJ might add some touches but that's it. We might get something soon.

Okay maybe I was a little ignorant about Metalcore, I can see that break in Better as Metalcore.

It just seems that whatever he is listening to, he puts his own spin on it. When asked what music he is listening to now, he doesn't seem to be interested in what is going on, which could mean he is not interested in writing new music right now. Could mean te next album is well under way.

Ron and Fortus' work are probably already done, I think DJ might add some touches but that's it. We might get something soon.

90s seemed strong for heavy rock there's a bunch of bands. Not feeling it as strong in 00s. I guess Avenged Sevenfold and My Chemical Romance stand out. But I expect Fortus to do a Venus in Furs GNR song, Ron to do some prog metal song, Dj to bring a glam metal song. which are kind of what's been going in rock in 00s. Tommy will keep it punk.

I think so, and that's what guides the songs I guess. Better just sounds a bit NIN cos Robin wrote it. maybe if Axl has a song that has a bluesy gothic vibe Dj and Fortus will be on it. Ron could do like a Locomotive psychedelic epic.

Funny enough, Robin never wrote for NIN. He was more of a circus guy.

Pitman's stuff can be heard throughout, especially on IFW and Maddy where he is most prominent. He must have surprises coming up.

I always thought Finck worked on The Slip album, specifically Discipline. Better always sounds like SCOM meets Head Like a Hole to me which is a crazy combo.

I notice the keyboards a lot of the CD tracks. Pitman brought a really modern edge to those songs.

The way I listen to CD really gives it a forward looking momentum

CD

Riad

SOD

Madagascar

Better

IRS

TWAT

Catcher

Shacklers

ITW

Prostitute

Scraped

Sorry

TIL

TIL sort of takes it back to beginning. it kind of follows the leaks I guess but by the time you get to ITW it's like getting shot into the future.

If they can out ITW on Chinese Democracy they can put Silkworms on the next album.

I wish there is a way for me to hear Pitman's sub bass better.

Interesting list, i would put Shacklers after Prostitute, I think it is one of the most progressive songs in the GN'R catalogue.

If they can out ITW on Chinese Democracy they can put Silkworms on the next album.

I wish there is a way for me to hear Pitman's sub bass better.

Interesting list, i would put Shacklers after Prostitute, I think it is one of the most progressive songs in the GN'R catalogue.

thats true, I'm a bit hazy on when I heard Shackler's was it before or after Prostitute. But it terms of new sound Shackler's seems just behind Scraped and ITW. Sorry is up there. Prostitute was written pretty early on I think, but maybe they worked on it a lot. I love to know what they think behind the track list was. Silkworms sounds like one that was too advanced for GNR fans in 2000. But now having got feedback maybe they'll put it on the next record.

Apprehensive? I don't know but from someone who claimed to be working on 70 songs in 1999 I would say it's about time to put out new shit. :shrugs:

That work culminated in 14 songs that were released in late 2008. Some songs were left-over and MAY be worked on more for a future release...

Apprehensive? I don't know but from someone who claimed to be working on 70 songs in 1999 I would say it's about time to put out new shit. :shrugs:

That work culminated in 14 songs that were released in late 2008. Some songs were left-over and MAY be worked on more for a future release...

So you're actually saying that by now they have unfinished material that would still need some work before releasing? Damn, what year do you expect the next GN'R record to come out? 2018? :tongue2:

So you're actually saying that by now they have unfinished material that would still need some work before releasing? Damn, what year do you expect the next GN'R record to come out? 2018? :tongue2:

Are you not aware that the remaining songs and song ideas need further work before completion? Band members have stated this themselves, and questioned whether they would even be part of future releases. So with this in mind, I actually think the next record will consist of only new songs, and hence I don't expect a new record before at the earliest 2015 (this is GN'R, after all). But if they decide to revisit those old songs and finish them, I guess it could go a little faster, perhaps already in 2013/2014.

It's the same every year though. It's always "It will probably come out next fall or 2 years from now" which as we know, never happened until 2008. Even as early as 2010 there was strong talk that an album would be out in 2011, that came and went. Axl even said "same time, same channel next year" which was 2009 for CD II lol. I don't go around getting my hopes up for a new album anymore. It will come out whenever.

It's the same every year though. It's always "It will probably come out next fall or 2 years from now" which as we know, never happened until 2008. Even as early as 2010 there was strong talk that an album would be out in 2011, that came and went. Axl even said "same time, same channel next year" which was 2009 for CD II lol. I don't go around getting my hopes up for a new album anymore. It will come out whenever.

This. The thing is that they have finished or near-finished songs, but no sign of further work on those tracks, much less a release date. Seems like Axl changed his mind in 2009 about the release of the other Chinese-era songs, and then jn 2010 and 2011 again, and we still dont know anything about it. So, who knows?

This. The thing is that they have finished or near-finished songs, but no sign of further work on those tracks, much less a release date. Seems like Axl changed his mind in 2009 about the release of the other Chinese-era songs, and then jn 2010 and 2011 again, and we still dont know anything about it. So, who knows?

It became trivial waiting for a release date for me really. After year after year thinking "OK it looks like it's going to happen this year" you catch on lol.

you know, axl reminds me of brazilian soccer players... having a poor childhood, being humiliated and suddenly... you are a star, a big star, you get money. and then, when you see, you turn into an arrogant and egoccentric person. you want to do things for yourself and fuck the others. you want to show those who humiliated you how good your life is now. you have a big talent, you have the world in your hands, but you really don't care about it. parties, being the center of all attentions, that seems the right thing to do. bad agents, law suits, scandals are just a consequence.

then you start to fade away.... your fans no longer care about you, you look old, you are not the same, you can't perform like you could back then, you start to become a joke, you promise that things will happen, but all you do is live from the past, having a nostalgic thing going on and make everybody wonder "oh, how things could be different if..."

it must be depressing, some people are never meant do be famous, they can't hold the pressure, they can't handle being in the public eye. they need fans to tell how they don't owe the fans anything.

it's funny, this is typical of people from my country, you are born poor, you can get some money but you'll be poor for the rest of your life, spending money with the wrong things and spending time with the wrong people. the ignorance will always remain.

and it fits axl perfectly. he's lucky because he found Beta to give his life some balance and control.

maybe axl is not apprehensive to release things. maybe axl is apprehensive of just being the lead singer of gnr. his mind is too weak for that. even in his 50s he hasn't learned yet how to be professional.

you know, axl reminds me of brazilian soccer players... having a poor childhood, being humiliated and suddenly... you are a star, a big star, you get money. and then, when you see, you turn into an arrogant and egoccentric person. you want to do things for yourself and fuck the others. you want to show those who humiliated you how good your life is now. you have a big talent, you have the world in your hands, but you really don't care about it. parties, being the center of all attentions, that seems the right thing to do. bad agents, law suits, scandals are just a consequence.

then you start to fade away.... your fans no longer care about you, you look old, you are not the same, you can't perform like you could back then, you start to become a joke, you promise that things will happen, but all you do is live from the past, having a nostalgic thing going on and make everybody wonder "oh, how things could be different if..."

it must be depressing, some people are never meant do be famous, they can't hold the pressure, they can't handle being in the public eye. they need fans to tell how they don't owe the fans anything.

it's funny, this is typical of people from my country, you are born poor, you can get some money but you'll be poor for the rest of your life, spending money with the wrong things and spending time with the wrong people. the ignorance will always remain.

and it fits axl perfectly. he's lucky because he found Beta to give his life some balance and control.

maybe axl is not apprehensive to release things. maybe axl is apprehensive of just being the lead singer of gnr. his mind is too weak for that. even in his 50s he hasn't learned yet how to be professional.

I can't disagree with that part...

You have a degree in in psychology from University São Paulo or something?