Dj Ashba: "I’ve demoed up 10 to 12 songs right now "

Guest Gunns

Your bias and unwillingness to admit anything Axl does can be wrong is funny. Remains a continuing story for GN'R Fans? BAHAHAHAHA.

What I find amusing is that you couldnt address the points I raised and so decided to try to weak-kneed move of deflecting them instead. I don't think you have to look hard for evidence that Oh My God is a continuing story for GN'R fans- its mentioned on this forum more often that IRS or If the World, songs that came out more recently.

I asked you a simple question- if Axl responds to vilification by refusing responsibility for songs, why did he make no such effort with previous highly vilified songs like One in a Million or Get in the Ring or even the entire album Chinese Democracy which was farrr more vilified than a single, forgotten song on an old forgotten movie's soundtrack. You have proven that you cant quite come up with an answer. :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that he did continue to work on Oh My God later seems to suggest that he's invested in the song as some level. A "shit song" suffering from being panned by critics would be better off just buried, not re-worked for a possible later release and continued presence on the proposed setlist.

So... you think artists should take the critics seriously enough to the point where they tweak their work BECAUSE SOME FUCKING CRITICS DIDN'T LIKE IT???

That's pretty disgraceful

This...

Oh My God needs to be on the next album, and needs to start being played live... PERIOD. rock2

Wasn't it already released on an album?

Wouldn't it be a huge step back for the band to rerelease a failed song from a decade ago, a song that was already released on an album?

Whats the difference from tweaking a couple Illusions or Lies songs and putting them on the next album?

And Thin Lizzy is your opening act.

Yeah. I just read that. = I don't know anything, this is Axl's band.

That’s amazing. There’s a couple of pretty good guitar players in that band, as I remember. I think Scott Gorham is still with them…

Yeah, absolutely. It’s going to be exciting. = who are they? I don't know much about music. I've got some cool hats on my website though.

Both One in a Million and Get in the Ring were massive controversies to the point that even to this day, they are very often referred to when people outline the history of Axl/ GN'R. So I would assume that there would be plenty of reason to backtrack. If you compare the amount of media space given to the unflattering commentary generated from those two songs and compare it to Oh My God, you're likely to find much more negativity focused on the first two in terms of sheer bulk and intensity.

Not even close to the point.

Axl back tracked after the criticism he got from Oh My God because it was the first song released without the former members, the first impression to the public of his new band, and it was clearly taking things in a new direction musically. It has nothing to do with how much criticism it received and everything to do with the fact it was the first song we heard from the new band. One In A Million and Get In The Ring were controversial for their LYRICS, I don't see how you can compare that with a song that was getting slammed by critics for the overall sound of the music and production.

Who cares anyway? The song rocks as it is and doesn't need any more layers or added production. I don't see why you feel the need to make excuses for Axl, we're all huge fans of his.

It is very much the point, in my view. The release of Oh My God was certainly a very important transitional point in Axl's career but hardly the only one.

Its about trying to understand the thought process, not about "excuses". The UYI era came under a lot of criticism for being "bloated" and "pretentious" and for taking the band away from its raw sound during a period of time when a new genre in rock called grunge was finding prominence. If it was all about being threatened by vilification etc, Axl would have shied away from the big scale of things. Instead the tour involved massive production and more personnel on stage than ever in GN'R history and the Estranged video (which came out in 93 well after this criticism was an established standard) was the most expensive ever for Guns. GN'R was transitioning from being the unchallenged never one band in the world to a humongous entity which was now the band many loved to hate to try to put themselves across as the truly "gritty" face of Rock. But it didnt change the way Axl proceeded to present his art.

He also didnt make Chinese Democracy "safe" by tightly following a path fans would be most familiar with. The musical direction of Chinese Democracy has been HEAVILY criticized too but he has made no attempt to pretend that he didn't believe fully in it musically. Wasnt the release of CD more important for Axl's career than the release of Oh My God alone? So why hasnt be tried to make any excuses for the vision of CD? Infact he has clearly stated that those who didnt like CD wouldnt like the next album either showing how committed he remains to that vision.

Like Ashba but his logic regarding the This I Love solo does not fly at all.

Finck's version is way, way, way better.

Totally agree, Fincks version is perfect... DJ takes ALL of the high notes out of the solo, which ruins the feel of the whole song IMO.

Guest gunns5

DJ: 'Hey Axl, here are some fucking songs I wrote for Guns!!!!111'

Axl: 'Yeah, cool.'

Axl: Email them to me

*Axl marks all emails comin from ashbaland as spam*

Dj: Axl what did you think of the songs?

Axl: really great, however Im releasing the cd era stuff first, but I'll definately get 'round to recording yours.

And Thin Lizzy is your opening act.

Yeah. I just read that. = I don't know anything, this is Axl's band.

That’s amazing. There’s a couple of pretty good guitar players in that band, as I remember. I think Scott Gorham is still with them…

Yeah, absolutely. It’s going to be exciting. = who are they? I don't know much about music. I've got some cool hats on my website though.

Nice fantasy, you should write a children's book like Alice in the Wonderland

Your bias and unwillingness to admit anything Axl does can be wrong is funny. Remains a continuing story for GN'R Fans? BAHAHAHAHA.

What I find amusing is that you couldnt address the points I raised and so decided to try to weak-kneed move of deflecting them instead. I don't think you have to look hard for evidence that Oh My God is a continuing story for GN'R fans- its mentioned on this forum more often that IRS or If the World, songs that came out more recently.

I asked you a simple question- if Axl responds to vilification by refusing responsibility for songs, why did he make no such effort with previous highly vilified songs like One in a Million or Get in the Ring or even the entire album Chinese Democracy which was farrr more vilified than a single, forgotten song on an old forgotten movie's soundtrack. You have proven that you cant quite come up with an answer. :)

Axl has made a million excuses for One in a Million AND also Look at you game girl, also My World. The "Oh My God" being a demo thing is just another excuse. I don't address the points you raised because you are pulling them out of thin air to protect your deity. Really now? Axl put a demo out for an official soundtrack to a Hollywood movie that was a comeback vehicle for Arnold Schwarzenegger? Do you really think he much of an unprofessional?

It is entertaining to see how far you keep reaching.

I remember someone asking if Ashba checked out Buckethead's work in one of the Ashba chats. Ashba said something along the lines of he hasn't heard Buckethead's music. I think Ashba was talking Buckethead solo work that his never heard.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Guest gunns5

I remember someone asking if Ashba checked out Buckethead's work in one of the Ashba chats. Ashba said something along the lines of he hasn't heard Buckethead's music. I think Ashba was talking Buckethead solo work that his never heard.

yeah I remember it,

I had a laugh when he said that :lol:

I love how Axl drives all the whiners and haters crazy. It's so funny to watch them try so hard to impugn him.

Just out of curiosity,

If somebody isn't a fan of Slash, Adler or Matt, does that make them a whiner and hater as well?

Or are whiners and haters just those who don't praise and idolize Axl at every turn?

And, if somebody just posts there opinion on a GnR forum, is that really whining and going crazy? Or is it just posting a few lines on a music forum, just like those are who praise and worship Axl?

I love how Axl drives all the whiners and haters crazy. It's so funny to watch them try so hard to impugn him.

Just out of curiosity,

If somebody isn't a fan of Slash, Adler or Matt, does that make them a whiner and hater as well?

Or are whiners and haters just those who don't praise and idolize Axl at every turn?

And, if somebody just posts there opinion on a GnR forum, is that really whining and going crazy? Or is it just posting a few lines on a music forum, just like those are who praise and worship Axl?

Axl is a deity to some of the people here...

He isn't making excuses because that is the CD he intended to make.

Exactly.

whoa whoa whoa, lets not spin shit around here.

On the last page you were talking about how Axl wanted to re-work Oh My God because of the way it was received by critics, my whole argument was how wrong that is. So you've changed your tune or what?

Axl has made a million excuses for One in a Million AND also Look at you game girl, also My World. The "Oh My God" being a demo thing is just another excuse. I don't address the points you raised because you are pulling them out of thin air to protect your deity. Really now? Axl put a demo out for an official soundtrack to a Hollywood movie that was a comeback vehicle for Arnold Schwarzenegger? Do you really think he much of an unprofessional?

It is entertaining to see how far you keep reaching.

You're so predictable, its funny. You cant deal with a different opinion so you try to hide behind name-calling instead. Thanks for the interesting attempt to diagnose my "religious orientation" but no human being, Axl or otherwise could ever have a claim at "deity" status in my eyes. :)

Axl tried to explain where he was coming from with One in a Million but he did not distance himself from the song. By your logic, anybody can be accused of racism, homophobia etc in their life and if they try to present their response it should be labelled as an "excuse" because the accusation itself is sufficient proof of guilt. He simply said that using Look at Your Game Girl was about trying to show people something related to Manson that they werent aware of before and that he liked the lyrics - what an "excuse". :D

Oh, so you believe that Axl is a thorough and consummate professional at all times, eh? Have you expressed this opinion in other threads on the forum because I'd love to see you be consistent on this score. :)

Actually you were the one who was "reaching" by beating your chest and claiming that there was no way anybody could have convinced Axl to put This I Love on CD when clear evidence exists of his acting on others' advice before. Ha!

He isn't making excuses because that is the CD he intended to make.

Exactly.

whoa whoa whoa, lets not spin shit around here.

On the last page you were talking about how Axl wanted to re-work Oh My God because of the way it was received by critics, my whole argument was how wrong that is. So you've changed your tune or what?

Did you bother reading my previous response to you? Because I made it absolutely clear that that was NOT what I said at all. Shouldn't be so hard to go back to the previous page.

He can demo all he likes but what's the point if no-one ever hears them! Stop talking or record the songs already. Still saying the same thing for 3 years now wow

It is in no way, shape or form his fault that they haven't recorded the new songs already. Trust me... if there's on person on the current GnR camp that wants to release new material, it's DJ. If Axl actually listened to what he has do say, we'd be in a much, much better situation than we are right now. People are really unfair to Ashba here. Richard, the forum favorite, might be a lot more skilled as a player, but he clearly has no ambition of releasing or composing with GnR.