Has anyone you know/yourself ever caught Axl's mic at the end of the show?

SMG

I was standing behind this tall Asian bitch who kept leaving and coming back, and I couldn't see the show when she came back and got really pissed. Finally, the security got sick of her and kicked her out during Tommy Stinson's solo, and I took her place and got this amazing view of the show.

The mic landed where I was originally standing.

I'm surprised you haven't committed suicide yet. :shocked:

Me, too. If that Asian chick was short like they're s'posed to be and didn't keep leaving, that would've been the perfect concert.

Shouldn't the question be more like if someone ever got HIT by Axl's mic at the end of the show? :xmasssanta:

Winnipeg January 2010. I followed it with my eyes, and it nailed some guy right in the chest. Made a nice sound. Guy totally wasn't paying attention at all.

I was maybe 10 feet away from the landing spot in Minneapolis last November. My girlfriend thought I was insane when I said "Lets move back" during Paradise City when we were about 3 rows from front and center all night. :shrugs:

MSG show in 2006 - I was in the section with the foldup chairs right behind the General Admission area. Throughout the night, cycles of people kept coming and going in the two seats directly in front of me. By the time Paradise City was playing, I noticed that nobody was standing in those spots anymore. My brother (whom I had purchased a ticket for, and was in the seat to the left of me), looked around and said, "Y'know, I think Axl is going to end up throwing the mic somewhere nearby where we are. Seems like it's usually around this spot, based on the videos I've watched on YouTube." I laughed it off and shook my head at his shameless admission of studying where Axl throws the microphone in grainy online videos (remember, this was several years ago, we're spoiled now with some of the quality bootlegs we see).

Next thing I know, I notice that Axl is cranking his arm back and I look up and see the mic in the air. And then you hear it, "BFFFFTT!" It hit the ground somewhere very close and I look forward and see about five dudes (including my younger brother), wrestling each other, thinking that the mic is somewhere on the ground. Then, it almost felt as if I went back a few seconds in my head and realized that I could have sworn I felt something hit the very tip of the front of my right sneaker. Without thinking twice about it, I bend my back down and reach with my right hand to the ground right in front of my right shoe without taking my eyes off of the mayhem in front of me. I feel something there, grab it, and as I'm straightening my back, I tuck it under the front of the navy colored hoodie that I was wearing (NYC in November is cold!)

I then leaned forward again, bending my back as if I were watching what these guys were doing, but didn't have the guts to jump into the fray myself (figured any onlookers would think it seemed pretty normal, blending into the background and all that). I eventually grab my brother with my left hand and pull him away. He just had some poor kid in what looked like a Camel Clutch maneuver, and he wasn't happy that I was pulling him away. I just looked at him and assured him that it was for the best.

Then, the two of us quickly walk through the massive crowds leaving the arena, and once we get outside of MSG, I meet back up with two of my friends that I had also hooked up with tickets to the show (they were sitting in a few sections behind us).

I waited until we got to Penn Station and were about to board the train to make the announcement. Once everybody was looking at me, I reached out into the front of my jeans (yes, I had the mic tucked in there - it is what it is) and pulled out the mic to show them that out of everybody in the arena that night, I walked away with Axl Rose's mic, and no one there in attendance may have even realized it. It literally rolled to my feet and came to a stop in the dark.

It was a great night, and for a longtime fan like me - it was the ultimate payoff for continuing to follow this band and get some of my friends and family to see how great they were too. Here's a picture I just snapped of the mic and the original ticket stub:

2yjzt48.jpg

nice one!!! for the record, this is my favorite thread so far.

Yes this is a nice change given the all the feigned chaos (and that's what it'll looked back as btw) around here for the last few days.

Cheers, I just thought the Forums needed a little change of topics from the usual. And as i'm going to 2 GN'R shows this year, i'm thinking I may spend one trying to get in the position of having a go at catching it! What a feeling it must be.

Shouldn't the question be more like if someone ever got HIT by Axl's mic at the end of the show? :xmasssanta:

Winnipeg January 2010. I followed it with my eyes, and it nailed some guy right in the chest. Made a nice sound. Guy totally wasn't paying attention at all.

I was maybe 10 feet away from the landing spot in Minneapolis last November. My girlfriend thought I was insane when I said "Lets move back" during Paradise City when we were about 3 rows from front and center all night. :shrugs:

My friend has the one from this past November in MPLS.

I didn't catch it, but someone in my group did. He lost it in the apartment we were staying in and I found it the next day. I didn't know him well or see him again since so I didn't bother telling him I have it. Actually I'm not sure where it is, I've moved a couple of times since, I guess I didn't consider it a big deal because I didn't catch it myself and wasn't there when he did. But I have it.

Atlanta, earlier this year. I was in town for work so I decided to hit up the show. And I almost regretted going ...

The band hit the stage late, there were fights breaking out in the crowd, way too much drunk d-bag behavior, and then the show started. Bumble looked absolutely tossed, Axl tried to quit the show early, someone thew a beer at Axl midshow, and it was all adding up to the legendary GnR of yore. Around me, some dunk loon made it his mission to ruin the show for everyone around him; some a-hole grabbed me around the neck and his buddy tried to pet my head, and if not for security being near by, I might have been in some real trouble. The Tabernacle was oversold, people were jostling around the whole time. Around the time of DJ's solo, some lug nut pushed me aside to make his way past me -- real tall dude and he just stood right in front of me. So I moved a couple steps to my left. I seriously, seriously thought about leaving. It was f-in miserable.

But I stuck it out. And by the time Paradise piped up, I was no longer trying to enjoy myself again. What can I say, the music finally took back over and washed away the vast negativity. From past shows, I knew that Axl usually tosses the mic stage left; I was stage right about 10-15 feet back and so I thought about trying to make my way to the cherry spot. But I caught myself thinking that this had been an altogether weird experience and I just stuck it out where I was.

Well. Then Paradise ended and like slow-mo, the mic came hurtling in my direction. I reached up, it hit me square in the palm ... and then it slipped to the ground. I went after it, reaching around in the dark, and couldn't find it. I was about to give up when suddenly I felt it below my hand. I grabbed it, shoved it in my pants (don't judge -- you'd do the same) and stood up.

Now all I had to make it back to my hotel.

The dude who was standing next to me asked me if I caught the mic. I told him yes. He asked for it. I said no. He asked for part of it. I said no. Again he asked, and I did a quick calculus of my chances of making out of the building alive with this memento. So I gave him the wind screen. Let me tell you, I still regret doing it, but I felt like it was my only way out of there.

Thing is ... now I have the mic from the Atlanta 2012 show. I have a memory, I have a story, and I have an experience. That other dude? All he has is a wind screen.

• 1 month later...

:D

Ive already bragged but i think this a good mygnr axl mic hall of fame thread. Hopefully more names get added soon!

Last night newcastle, straight into my hand, ive never caught anything at that distance before, after a bit of an argument with a fellow mic hunter i ran outta there and never looked back.

Its differant slightly to the one pictured but he used that type for the main set. When i switch it on it has the chanel 69 on. It has a set and mode button on it also.

My friend has the one from this past November in MPLS.

all i can think of is a game i used to play as a kid called 500 where a person chucked a football into a crowd for points lol instead its a few thousand people getting ready for a mic