Bands where the Lead Guitarist or a Guitarist was more important than the Lead Singer?

SunnyDRE

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Mustaine with Metallica.

........he sucks so no.

But Marty friedman with Megadeth :thumbsup:

Bahahahaha you're definitely smoking something. Mustaine was the primary songwriter, lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist AND took care of a decent portion(maybe 30%) of the solos. Friedman had writing credits on a handful of songs, none of which were pivotal to Megadeth's success or renowned by fans.

........he sucks so no.

Bahahahaha you're definitely smoking something. Mustaine was the primary songwriter, lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist AND took care of a decent portion(maybe 30%) of the solos. Friedman had writing credits on a handful of songs, none of which were pivotal to Megadeth's success or renowned by fans.

why does that matter? Dave sucks on so many levels and Marty doesn't :D

Ok, how about this one?

STP?

The Deleo's more important than Scott? I think you could really kinda make a case...Weren't the Deleo's the main songwriters and didn't they kinda lay out the direction of the band?

nikki sixx isn't a guitarist

but, yeah, he is motley's main songwriter

he doesn't play the bass?

Yes, he plays the bass. Mick Mars is the guitarist

Bass is a guitar. A guitarist (or a guitar player) is a musician who plays the guitar.

Sorry for not using the technical terms in the title of my thread, but I think everyone understood what I meant.

99% of musicians would scoff at the notion of a 'Bassist' being a 'guitarist'. They do not go hand in hand. A bass is a bass guitar, plain and simple. Someone who plays bass is a bassist. Guitars have some bass strings and we don't go calling them bass players.

I'm probably taking it literally, I understand that you meant it in an aspecific way. Fuel is another band. Carl Bell wrote most of the music and lyrics, although Scallions elevated it to another level. I miss that band.

........he sucks so no.

Lollll. That's your opinion. I was referring to the topic at hand though in terms of a band essence. Marty is a wizard on the guitar though. Although I think Broderick is much more skilled and technical, Marty gets the phrasing down better.

Also Sunny, System of a Down is a great example that I don't think has been mentioned. Daron writes most of the material and sings on some of it.

Dream Theater

They would be infinitely better if they just ditched LaBrie altogether. He's so fucking cheesy and nothing he sings sounds honest.

I agree with Sunny on STP, too. The album the DeLeo brothers did with Richard Patrick from Filter sounds pretty much like a mellower STP, but 90% percent of their work on there could easily be an STP song.

If singer/guitarists count, I'd say The Fall of Troy. The guitar work alone in their music makes the band for me,

Manic Street Preachers, at least the Richey James era.

He wrote pretty much all of their early material. Hell, even after he went missing, he still left behind notebooks of lyrics that they've used recently.

Only for one and a half albums. Half the Richey era songs were written by Nicky Wire. The only albums that was mostly Richey was The Holy Bible and Journal for Plague Lovers. Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul was 50/50 Nicky and Richey and Everything Must go was mostly Nicky with Richey doing a few songs. After that Nicky wrote everything with James only doing two songs.

Nicky's songwriting carries out the band at the height of their success.

Guest Len B'stard

i think it's a near enough impossible question to answer because the music one players is influenced by the company one happens to be in. Like Pete Townshend, i don't think he would've been playing sort of hard edged Maximum RnB if it wasn't for the fact he was in a band with...well, a sort of thuggish element such as Daltrey. Same with Noel Gallagher, i mean, you only need to look at his solo album to realise that, were it not for the particular type of company he was in in Oasis, he might've spread his wings a little earlier and dipped his toe in differenter waters even as early as the second album. You always see it when a particular player goes seperate from the band thats made them into their own little artistic venture that what they end up doing, one way or another, is a departure from what they were doing with the band (obviously it's a fucking depature, he's in another band or musical set up but i mean the actual way they play). Y'know like, more indulgent, less induglent, more prominent, less prominent or...y'know, whatever.

Same with any band, it's what artists mean when they say they are writing "for the band" i.e. songs that are designed to fit what it is that they precieve to be The Who's "sound" or Guns n Roses "sound" etc. Like when they asked Axl on the webchats here about like, y'know, whether NuGuns could basically just be a solo project and he goes no, a solo project would be this and this and this and i would've done that differently and...y'know, with Guns you get the impression that he functions with at least some sort of idea in his head of a Guns "sound", of songs that would be suitable for inclusion on a Guns album...otherwise why would their be this differentiating between what an Axl solo album song and a GnR song would sound like?

Ergo, you can't really say one is more important than the other because people play the way they play due in part to the people around them, those people effect the very evolution and growth of an artist, they, if not dictate then influence the direction a persons artist growth goes towards.

Lollll. That's your opinion. I was referring to the topic at hand though in terms of a band essence. Marty is a wizard on the guitar though. Although I think Broderick is much more skilled and technical, Marty gets the phrasing down better.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :o

okej now I wont take anything you say serious anymore :P

Just because he can play 4 finger tapping doesn't mean he's better technically. He doesn't even play his tapping riffs clean on most of the videos I have seen. Not saying he's bad because he isn't he is good but not better in anyway then Marty

just to clear I'm not a big Marty fan, just like he's playing from time to time ;)

Edited by Desperado

Skid Row

Not sure I agree with that.Sebastian's vocals were very disctinct to the band's sound.His presence in their videos (which was vastly important at the time) was strong...front and centre...an undeniable presence.And when I saw them live in '91 opening for Guns,the live show was all about Sebastian,you couldn't not watch him...very physical presence on stage...in control.

And it was Sebastian who joined GnR on stage at those shows,not the guitarist.

Saw a newer version of Skid Row a few years back without Sebastian...they were nothing.

........he sucks so no.

It matters because Marty clearly wasn't nearly as important as Dave, the point of this debate. There is no way that Marty, who didn't even get a songwriting credit until the band was becoming more pop than metal, was more important to Megadeth's sound than Dave. Rust in Peace was written when Marty showed up and none of the albums following it remotely come close to matching any of the first four. You can't actually think he was more important.

Skid Row

Not sure I agree with that.Sebastian's vocals were very disctinct to the band's sound.His presence in their videos (which was vastly important at the time) was strong...front and centre...an undeniable presence.And when I saw them live in '91 opening for Guns,the live show was all about Sebastian,you couldn't not watch him...very physical presence on stage...in control.

Saw a newer version of Skid Row a few years back without Sebastian...they were nothing.

Did you have to sit through the new version of I Remember You? *shudders*

........he sucks so no.

It matters because Marty clearly wasn't nearly as important as Dave, the point of this debate. There is no way that Marty, who didn't even get a songwriting credit until the band was becoming more pop than metal, was more important to Megadeth's sound than Dave. Rust in Peace was written when Marty showed up and none of the albums following it remotely come close to matching any of the first four. You can't actually think he was more important.

but you said Dave with Metallica and thats just stupid because Metallica is all James, even if dave wrote some songs they allready hade the sound before he joined the band.

I never said Marty was important for their sound or songwriting I just said he's the one that didn't suck in that band because I can't stand Dave :D

Allman Brothers

wow. *shakes my head at my own ignorance/major brain fart* that should have been the first band that came to mind for all of us. even after duane died, it still wasn't greg that was the important member, it was dicky betts.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :o

okej now I wont take anything you say serious anymore :P

Just because he can play 4 finger tapping doesn't mean he's better technically. He doesn't even play his tapping riffs clean on most of the videos I have seen. Not saying he's bad because he isn't he is good but not better in anyway then Marty

just to clear I'm not a big Marty fan, just like he's playing from time to time ;)

While his tapping riffs might not be 100% clean(most guitarists tie a hairband around the first fret to dampen noise when tapping), it's still quite clean. I have not seen Marty do tapping to that extent. Actually, Marty generates much more string noise due to his unorthodox picking technique. Both are incredible guitarists.

Skid Row

Did you have to sit through the new version of I Remember You? *shudders*

Actually...it was more than a few years ago.They were opening for Kiss in Buffalo...one of the reunion tours (with Ace and Peter).

Awful...just dreadful.