Bands where the Lead Guitarist or a Guitarist was more important than the Lead Singer?

SunnyDRE

Lollll. That's your opinion. I was referring to the topic at hand though in terms of a band essence. Marty is a wizard on the guitar though. Although I think Broderick is much more skilled and technical, Marty gets the phrasing down better.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :o

okej now I wont take anything you say serious anymore :P

Just because he can play 4 finger tapping doesn't mean he's better technically. He doesn't even play his tapping riffs clean on most of the videos I have seen. Not saying he's bad because he isn't he is good but not better in anyway then Marty

just to clear I'm not a big Marty fan, just like he's playing from time to time ;)

While his tapping riffs might not be 100% clean(most guitarists tie a hairband around the first fret to dampen noise when tapping), it's still quite clean. I have not seen Marty do tapping to that extent. Actually, Marty generates much more string noise due to his unorthodox picking technique. Both are incredible guitarists.

I know, I have a hairband on my guitar. Just look at when he was a geast guitarist at that metal show (I think Marilyn Manson was the main geast on that episode) it's so bad it sounds lika an Dragonforce audition :P even his "betcha ya can't play this" video was pretty dirty. Like I said, just because you can play 2-3-4 finger tapping doesn't mean you're a better guitarist then somebody who can't. And I haven't noticed any abnormal string noices in Martys playing, exept that he hits the strings pretty hard.

Both are great like you said but I must say Marty is alot better ;)

Edited by Desperado

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lollll. That's your opinion. I was referring to the topic at hand though in terms of a band essence. Marty is a wizard on the guitar though. Although I think Broderick is much more skilled and technical, Marty gets the phrasing down better.

Just because he can play 4 finger tapping doesn't mean he's better technically. He doesn't even play his tapping riffs clean on most of the videos I have seen. Not saying he's bad because he isn't he is good but not better in anyway then Marty

just to clear I'm not a big Marty fan, just like he's playing from time to time ;)

While his tapping riffs might not be 100% clean(most guitarists tie a hairband around the first fret to dampen noise when tapping), it's still quite clean. I have not seen Marty do tapping to that extent. Actually, Marty generates much more string noise due to his unorthodox picking technique. Both are incredible guitarists.

I know, I have a hairband on my guitar. Just look at when he was a geast guitarist at that metal show (I think Marilyn Manson was the main geast on that episode) it's so bad it sounds lika an Dragonforce audition :P even his "betcha ya can't play this" video was pretty dirty. Like I said, just because you can play 2-3-4 finger tapping doesn't mean you're a better guitarist then somebody who can't. And I haven't noticed any abnormal string noices in Martys playing, exept that he hits the strings pretty hard.

Check out when he plays the notes slow. The lower notes ring out because he doesn't use his right hand to mute them.

Check out when he plays the notes slow. The lower notes ring out because he doesn't use his right hand to mute them.

...wow who cares? it was clean as hell when he played it fast.

...wow who cares? it was clean as hell when he played it fast.

Obviously you care how clean passages are because you brought up the very fact about Chris Broderick not tapping cleanly enough :P

Allman Brothers

wow. *shakes my head at my own ignorance/major brain fart* that should have been the first band that came to mind for all of us. even after duane died, it still wasn't greg that was the important member, it was dicky betts.

Even talking about March Madness Allmans, Derek and Warren are great together, Warren's def. a good singer, but not something that wows you. Derek played the White House for the blues thing Jagger did and Michelle Obama's staring at Derek's hands, and seeing Derek with Clapton doing Layla and most of the songs off that album was really great for me. I wouldn't see Clapton unless Derek was a part of it.

Agree about Betts, stupid reasons why he's not a part of it after all those years. But Duane was a great player, and really wish Gregg retired the name after Eat a Peach. I'm sure he considered it.

i think it's a near enough impossible question to answer because the music one players is influenced by the company one happens to be in. Like Pete Townshend, i don't think he would've been playing sort of hard edged Maximum RnB if it wasn't for the fact he was in a band with...well, a sort of thuggish element such as Daltrey. Same with Noel Gallagher, i mean, you only need to look at his solo album to realise that, were it not for the particular type of company he was in in Oasis, he might've spread his wings a little earlier and dipped his toe in differenter waters even as early as the second album. You always see it when a particular player goes seperate from the band thats made them into their own little artistic venture that what they end up doing, one way or another, is a departure from what they were doing with the band (obviously it's a fucking depature, he's in another band or musical set up but i mean the actual way they play). Y'know like, more indulgent, less induglent, more prominent, less prominent or...y'know, whatever.

Same with any band, it's what artists mean when they say they are writing "for the band" i.e. songs that are designed to fit what it is that they precieve to be The Who's "sound" or Guns n Roses "sound" etc. Like when they asked Axl on the webchats here about like, y'know, whether NuGuns could basically just be a solo project and he goes no, a solo project would be this and this and this and i would've done that differently and...y'know, with Guns you get the impression that he functions with at least some sort of idea in his head of a Guns "sound", of songs that would be suitable for inclusion on a Guns album...otherwise why would their be this differentiating between what an Axl solo album song and a GnR song would sound like?

Ergo, you can't really say one is more important than the other because people play the way they play due in part to the people around them, those people effect the very evolution and growth of an artist, they, if not dictate then influence the direction a persons artist growth goes towards.

I think what Axl was talking about was similar to when someone asked Trent Reznor about a "solo" tour. I think Axl considers a solo project to either be experimental (think Thom Yorke's "The Eraser") or stripped down to just him and a piano. But most people would disagree with him, regardless of whether or not he owns the name.

Simon needed Garfunkel to do things with some of the songs he couldn't do, and the same thing went with Pete giving Roger his songs to sing, but the funny thing is, Roger and Pete were never friends, and it wasn't until John died that they started to get along more. The Who were great as a whole, because they had a sick rhythm section. They were able to hold their own in the British invasion and were able to rival the Stones and Led Zep in the 70s.... BUT Skynyrd opened for them and they were getting rave reviews at the time, while The Who's Quadrophenia was plagued with problems. Cameron Crowe said the best live band of that era was Skynyrd, and he saw all the greats. I know they influenced GNR, Van Zant was just as volatile as Axl, maybe more so, but remember Axl mentioning them when he was talking about SCOM?

It might have been before then, when they got together to help John pay his debts off and did an inexpensive arena tour (it was like 30-40 bucks, cheaper than it would be to see them in recent years). And yes, Noel needed Liam.

Obviously you care how clean passages are because you brought up the very fact about Chris Broderick not tapping cleanly enough :P

well I don't know but I belive there is a difference between making a little bit of noice when you're playing something slow and play it super clean fast, then playing something dirty almost all the time :P

You could realy watch the episode when he was a geast guitarist at that metal show (same episode as Marilyn Manson and Saxon) I don't know if he was drunk or just didn't care :P I couldn't find it on youtube anymore but it must be somewhere

The Yardbirds

AC/DC

Van Halen

Pantera

Slayer

Coverdale/Page

Rainbow

:lol: No way, Rainbow seriously went downhill after Dio left.

Yeah Dio was pretty important in that band.

The success didn't stop with Dio leaving, therefore Dio was not a decisive factor to the band's success?

Edited by moreblack

The Yardbirds

AC/DC

Van Halen

Pantera

Slayer

Coverdale/Page

Rainbow

:lol: No way, Rainbow seriously went downhill after Dio left.

Yeah Dio was pretty important in that band.

The success didn't stop with Dio leaving, therefore Dio was not a decisive factor to the band's success?

I think our points were moreso in regards to the topic.

Poison, easy. I know people knock C.C. all the time, but I've always dug what he does, and he was the primary song writer, even though they shared the royalties evenly. Hell, I'd even go as far to say that Kotzen and Saraceno, his replacments, would also fit the criteria.

Motely Crue. Mick Mars is the man.

I don't think he is as important as Nikki Sixx was since Sixx wrote all their songs. I'd say that both of them were more important than Vince Neil though.

that's prob true, the thread just said guitarist. Niven said in that interview that Nikki couldn't play bass at the beginning which is funny.

Deep Purple when Blackmore was in the band. Tommy Bolin would have been as important if he hadn't died so suddenly.

I don't think Tommy had the kind of impact Coverdale & Co. were hoping he would. I always felt he underperformed with Purple. Compared to his work on Billy Cobham's Spectrum, he was a shadow of his earlier self on Come Taste The Band. The band split up in March of 76, and I don't blame them. They were on life support even as far back as Stormbringer. As soon as the band became less about the heavy riffs, and more about Glenn Hughes' funk, it was all over.

Rage Against the Machine is one that immediately popped in my head

It immediately popped into mine too, but after thinking about it I'd say Zack was easily as important as Tom

The only one I can think of that i didnt see mentioned is The Cribs

EDIT: oh, and Kasabian

Edited by stevo81

Deep Purple when Blackmore was in the band. Tommy Bolin would have been as important if he hadn't died so suddenly.

I don't think Tommy had the kind of impact Coverdale & Co. were hoping he would. I always felt he underperformed with Purple. Compared to his work on Billy Cobham's Spectrum, he was a shadow of his earlier self on Come Taste The Band. The band split up in March of 76, and I don't blame them. They were on life support even as far back as Stormbringer. As soon as the band became less about the heavy riffs, and more about Glenn Hughes' funk, it was all over.

So it was over when Ritchie left.

Or when Ian Gillian left.

Edited by BirdCatcher

So it was over when Ritchie left.

Or when Ian Gillian left.

More or less although when Gillan left, they still put out Burn which was up there with their best material.

tommy bolin was a beast, it will always be one of those "what ifs" of music to die at 25 years old with that talent

Motely Crue. Mick Mars is the man.

I don't think he is as important as Nikki Sixx was since Sixx wrote all their songs. I'd say that both of them were more important than Vince Neil though.

that's prob true, the thread just said guitarist. Niven said in that interview that Nikki couldn't play bass at the beginning which is funny.

That's a "whole greater than the sum of its parts" band. You can't say any of them on their own are more exceptional than the other. They're more like the nephews of VH than the sons of... US Fest was the best thing that happened to them, couldn't ask for a better gig to get noticed. Supposedly whoever owns the US Fest master tapes is starting to release them band by band on DVD, but I think the band still has to approve it for the music. Showtime can show the whole thing on one of their cable channels, that's about it though.