ALAN NIVEN: "Let's talk about those feathered tulle, those white shorts ... but you're right..."

auad

AN: Axl’s muse is predominantly driven by conflict and hate … but, genderwise he is an equal opportunity junkyard dog … and then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one. Who is the Rocket Queen really? Lets talk about those feathers, those little white leather shorts …. But yes, you’re quite right. And we all knew it, but I did not consider Axl’s statements to be gratuitous, so I could endorse them as sincere. On Your Knees was gratuitous.

:shock:

Is he really saying Axl's Bi? Wow, bold...

... to be honest, I think a lot of thing would make much more sense if he is Bi (don't think he really is though).

EDIT: The interviewer sucks.

Edited by KiraMPD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AN: Axl’s muse is predominantly driven by conflict and hate … but, genderwise he is an equal opportunity junkyard dog … and then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one. Who is the Rocket Queen really? Lets talk about those feathers, those little white leather shorts …. But yes, you’re quite right. And we all knew it, but I did not consider Axl’s statements to be gratuitous, so I could endorse them as sincere. On Your Knees was gratuitous.

:blink: 

Is he really saying Axl's Bi? Wow, bold...

... to be honest, I think a lot of thing would make much more sense if he is Bi (don't he really is though).

Yes. he is saying.

LRI: I recently did an interview with Steven where I asked him about the upcoming Hall Of Fame ceremony and he said he is torn because Axl will either not show or show up with his “band of hacks”. I was asked to strike the comment about the band of hacks but then saw that he said the same thing to another reporter who then ran the comment anyway. Marc Canter talks to Slash on a very regular basis and I know you keep in touch as well. Marc seemed to disagree with Stevens assumption that a reunion was impossible and mentioned that it’s just a huge misunderstanding between two very proud men in Axl and Slash and perhaps Duff could broker a meeting of the minds. His opinion was that it was more likely to happen without Steven due to Axl’s distrust and that Izzy is sort of a wild card as far as his participation. Sorry for being long-winded but what I want to know is….. are you of the opinion like I am that Steven and Izzy are absolutely critical to the feel (Steven) and the songwriting (Izzy) of that band? I feel the moment Steven was sacked, of course partially due to his inability to keep up with Axl’s new musical leanings, the band’s sound changed for the worst and when Izzy left it was effectively OVER.

AN: My sentiments entirely. Izzy was the heart of the soul of the band … and the ebullience of Steven’s playing has never been superceded by better techniques. By the way Iz and I were closest … born exactly ten years apart when you factor in the date line … he was also the most consistent person to discuss things with … I always thought of it as his band …the best and coolest composer in the band … great groove and deft lyrics … he’s a chip off the Keef block as regards rhythm playing and general presence.

LRI: I recently did an interview with Steven where I asked him about the upcoming Hall Of Fame ceremony and he said he is torn because Axl will either not show or show up with his “band of hacks”. I was asked to strike the comment about the band of hacks but then saw that he said the same thing to another reporter who then ran the comment anyway. Marc Canter talks to Slash on a very regular basis and I know you keep in touch as well. Marc seemed to disagree with Stevens assumption that a reunion was impossible and mentioned that it’s just a huge misunderstanding between two very proud men in Axl and Slash and perhaps Duff could broker a meeting of the minds. His opinion was that it was more likely to happen without Steven due to Axl’s distrust and that Izzy is sort of a wild card as far as his participation. Sorry for being long-winded but what I want to know is….. are you of the opinion like I am that Steven and Izzy are absolutely critical to the feel (Steven) and the songwriting (Izzy) of that band? I feel the moment Steven was sacked, of course partially due to his inability to keep up with Axl’s new musical leanings, the band’s sound changed for the worst and when Izzy left it was effectively OVER.

AN: My sentiments entirely. Izzy was the heart of the soul of the band … and the ebullience of Steven’s playing has never been superceded by better techniques. By the way Iz and I were closest … born exactly ten years apart when you factor in the date line … he was also the most consistent person to discuss things with … I always thought of it as his band …the best and coolest composer in the band … great groove and deft lyrics … he’s a chip off the Keef block as regards rhythm playing and general presence.

Izzy was the heart of the soul of the band … and the ebullience of Steven’s playing has never been superceded by better techniques[2]

"and then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one. Who is the Rocket Queen really? Lets talk about those feathers, those little white leather shorts …. But yes, you’re quite right. And we all knew it, but I did not consider Axl’s statements to be gratuitous, so I could endorse them as sincere. On Your Knees was gratuitous"

Is it me but I'm still not totally clear? Is he saying everyone knew Axl was bi-sexual? That's a pretty bold statement to make!

Yes I think that is what he is saying and that the rest of them knew it. I see a lawsuit coming Allan Niven's way. I totally agree with him about Izzy though.

"and then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one. Who is the Rocket Queen really? Lets talk about those feathers, those little white leather shorts …. But yes, you’re quite right. And we all knew it, but I did not consider Axl’s statements to be gratuitous, so I could endorse them as sincere. On Your Knees was gratuitous"

Is it me but I'm still not totally clear? Is he saying everyone knew Axl was bi-sexual? That's a pretty bold statement to make!

He was speculating.

Rolling Stone, a long ass time ago:

Are you anti-homosexual then?

I'm pro-heterosexual. I can't get enough of women, and I don't see the same thing that other men can see in men. I'm not into gay or bisexual experiences. But that's hypocritical of me, because I'd rather see two women together than just about anything else. That happens to be my personal, favorite thing.

How about gay-bashing? Have you ever beaten up somebody simply because of their sexual preference?

No! I never have. The most I do is, like, on the way to the Troubadour in "Boystown," on Santa Monica Boulevard, I'll yell out the car window, "Why don't you guys like pussy?" 'Cause I'm confused. I don't understand it. Anti-homosexual? I'm not against them doing what they want to do as long as it's not hurting anybody else and they're not forcing it upon me. I don't need them in my face or, pardon the pun, up my ass about it.

(he didn't say he was confused because he has sexual identity issues).

Edited by dalsh327

Rock n roll has long involved an element of androgyny but it's often been interpreted as a symbol of hyper-masculinity - as in I'm so secure with myself I'll tease out my hair or wear make-up or clothing items seen as feminine/ not typically hetero and you'll see that I'm man enough not to care about your judgments.

When you have a banshee wail and a cat-like slither, you're harnessing a feminine energy within yourself but then all human beings have a yin and yang element and the balance of the two makes Axl a far more interesting performer. It doesn't mean that you're bisexual though.

Alan Niven doesn't have a good relationship with Axl and its likely that he made these comments flippantly to just rile Axl a bit because he probably figures Axl has strong feelings on the issue - he was painted as a homophobe in '88 due to One in a Million and Niven hasnt known Axl for a long while.

But even in the early 90s Axl was making statements about how he was learning from the Madonna book about the range of human sexuality and by 2006, in the Eddie Trunk show he was very comfortably making jokes about Brokeback Mountain and his own visit to a bondage store with Earl and people's misunderstanding of that. If it was a touchy subject or some repressed identity that he struggled with he wouldnt be at ease making jokes about himself. Its just a pointless thing for Niven to say but then he probably wanted to make his interview interesting to possibly grab a headline somewhere with the RRHOF thing coming up.

Edited by rabia

Yes I think that is what he is saying and that the rest of them knew it. I see a lawsuit coming Allan Niven's way. I totally agree with him about Izzy though.

No, I think it's that A) for whatever reason, he's either seriously or flippantly questioning Axl's sexuality and B) The "we all knew it" remark was in regards to the original question about Axl's lyrics and NWA's lyrics being considered misogynistic. He's saying they all knew they were or could be considered to be misogynistic, but he didn't think they were gratuitous so he thought they were sincere.

Ali

I have to admit that since the late 1990s or so, I've had a sneaking suspicion that Axl was gay, just based on the way he carries himself and also the way he is so close to Beta and her family, but not in a romatic way. I am gay by the way, and have a similarly close platonic relationship with a woman who I've lived with for years. LOL :shrugs:

I have to admit that since the late 1990s or so, I've had a sneaking suspicion that Axl was gay, just based on the way he carries himself and also the way he is so close to Beta and her family, but not in a romatic way. I am gay by the way, and have a similarly close platonic relationship with a woman who I've lived with for years. LOL :shrugs:

You can have a close platonic relationship to a woman you view as a mother figure and not be gay as well. That's hardly an indication of sexual orientation.

Ali

You can have a close platonic relationship to a woman you view as a mother figure and not be gay as well. That's hardly an indication of sexual orientation.

Ali

agreed, but that would be a weirder and less parsimonious situation, i think.

Edited by nonlinear

just curious, but what do you mean by the way he "carries himself"?

just curious, but what do you mean by the way he "carries himself"?

He's trying to put "he prances around like a fairy" across in a more neutral way.

Edited by Flayer

Axl doesn't have an ounce of gay in him. I never have gotten that vibe from him.

AN: The only time there was ever any discussion about Axl being replaced was in early 1988 when he failed to show for a gig at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix. A riot ensued. At that point, listening to Izzy and Slash complain about his persistent ability to make every one miserable on a daily basis I told them both I would support them if they chose to get rid of Axl, even if that meant they got dropped by Geffen. We were having coffee together in Sky Harbour when this conversation occurred.

Its funny. GN'R were always a garage band that got big. Noone of them really appeared to believe that much. I guess they really simply view Axl as replace-able. Just some vocalist.

Axl doesn't have an ounce of gay in him. I never have gotten that vibe from him.

George Micheal came out eventually. Many lead singers are gay. It could always be Axl's biggest battle against himself, who knows.

When you read various books about GN'R, Izzy, Adler, Slash were always getting it on with the girls. Axl always appeared to have issues, what ever they may have been.

Edited by vaida

Ali

agreed, but that would be a weirder and less parsimonious situation, i think.

I don't agree at all. It's not weird if you consider the fact that this someone who, according to reports, did not grow up with a close relationship with his own mother. I'm in the same boat and I'm not gay. It's not weird when you consider his family situation growing up. It actually makes perfect sense to me.

Ali

AN: The only time there was ever any discussion about Axl being replaced was in early 1988 when he failed to show for a gig at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix. A riot ensued. At that point, listening to Izzy and Slash complain about his persistent ability to make every one miserable on a daily basis I told them both I would support them if they chose to get rid of Axl, even if that meant they got dropped by Geffen. We were having coffee together in Sky Harbour when this conversation occurred.

Its funny. GN'R were always a garage band that got big. Noone of them really appeared to believe that much. I guess they really simply view Axl as replace-able. Just some vocalist.

George Micheal came out eventually. Many lead singers are gay. It could always be Axl's biggest battle against himself, who knows.

When you read various books about GN'R, Izzy, Adler, Slash were always getting it on with the girls. Axl always appeared to have issues, what ever they may have been.

How can you compare Axl to George Michael? George Michael looked like he was so gay before he came out.

Exhibit A: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.

No, I think it's that A) for whatever reason, he's either seriously or flippantly questioning Axl's sexuality and B) The "we all knew it" remark was in regards to the original question about Axl's lyrics and NWA's lyrics being considered misogynistic. He's saying they all knew they were or could be considered to be misogynistic, but he didn't think they were gratuitous so he thought they were sincere.

Ali

Thanks for clarifying. Allan should have chosen his words more carefully.

Axl can be straight, gay, bi or whatever else for all I care, but I do think it's strange how Alan Niven just randomly brought that up. Not to mention how confusing the way he formulated everything is.

Also have to admit that the thought of Axl being be or in the closet has crossed my mind before :shrugs:

I only know that when he is performing his eyes are looking for pretty girls. He looks happily surprised every time he spots one.

I have never seen him to give “a look” to a man. He gives me a 100% hetero vibe with strong masculinity combined with sensitivity.