Matt Sorum: Other members (Slash) should have called Axl and he may have attended

GNFR2003

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone seems to know, without a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing that could have changed Axl's mind, and that he was going to tell the HoF and the AFD line up to fuck off from the beginning. I'm with Sorum here, I think had any of the AFD line up wanted or CARED about this thing happening, then they would have reached out.

While I don't think it would have made a difference, did Slash or Duff even try to make a contact? If they really wanted the classic lineup to play together should they not have tried to initiate contact just once? Lord knows Axl certainly does not want that to ever happen so no use expecting him to start the talks. Even if it bore no fruit, at least they could have confidently stated that they tried.

Now, perhaps Matt is out of the loop and they did make some contact, I am open to that possibility. BUT that would not explain the "there has been no communication" thing that they have been repeating constantly up until the last few weeks.

I have been saying constantly that neither Slash nor Duff were particularly excited about this even from the get-go. I think some fans are putting too much faith into their politically correct statements. I don't think anyone from the classic lineup was trilled about RnRHOF (bar Steven).

This thread needs locking. Its pointless.

No, it's Sorum's point of view. I don't think a few phone calls would've worked tho. I'm really happy by Matt's attitude towards letting Steven play! That's really cool of him. And that last part where he said Green Day's gonna play GnR. THAT SUCKS.

Geez, Axl is a grown man. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. As much as I like the guy, he needs to realize that he too could man up. Sure, the other guys could've called him. It would have been a nice gesture, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Four guys bending over backwards because of one guy's moodswings doesn't sound right to me either. Axl, too, could've contacted the other guys and say "no, I'm not coming yadda yadda yadda". The old guys don't need to bash Axl and the new line-up (I'm looking at you Steven), but they don't also need to march to the beat of Axl's drum anymore.

Sorum actually is making much sense here, and defending Axl--it seems even he was a bit put off by the public, derogatory statements by Adler and Slash. He truly seems disappointed, and makes a great point--the guys needed to reach out to Axl and chat with him and work out a way for them to all attend. He seems really let down by Slash:

The problem is Axl HATE'S Slash & Adler. He would celebrate if they died...he'd have a party. So he's not going to talk to them. And besides, they wouldn't make it past the call screeners/Axl's yes men to even get him live on phone/in person. Axl's so paranoid of having to talk to them he bans them from his shows.

Sorum actually is making much sense here, and defending Axl--it seems even he was a bit put off by the public, derogatory statements by Adler and Slash. He truly seems disappointed, and makes a great point--the guys needed to reach out to Axl and chat with him and work out a way for them to all attend. He seems really let down by Slash:

The problem is Axl HATE'S Slash & Adler. He would celebrate if they died...he'd have a party. So he's not going to talk to them. And besides, they wouldn't make it past the call screeners/Axl's yes men to even get him live on phone/in person. Axl's so paranoid of having to talk to them he bans them from his shows.

I highly doubt Axl would be happy if Slash or Steven died.

Stop making shit up.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I highly doubt Axl would be happy if Slash or Steven died.

Stop making shit up.

Why do you think it'd even remotely affect him?

Tragically Slash or Steven die (hypothetically). He called Slash a cancer (among other comments) and its well know he hates him & Steven. Last time I checked you want cancer to die/go away/be gone forever. You really think if we lose one of them in next 10 years Axl would care? Seriously. Or hed feign interest by releasing some stupid statement via Beta then hed (being the drama queen) explain why he cant go to funeral with another rambling message (again via Beta) ripping him.

Give me a break.

Say Slash gets some horrible cancer, the rock n roll community comes together for a huge benefit concert, Axl would give it a big middle finger. That's how much it's clear to me that he hates Slash.

Edited by Snowmass

Geez, Axl is a grown man. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. As much as I like the guy, he needs to realize that he too could man up. Sure, the other guys could've called him. It would have been a nice gesture, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Four guys bending over backwards because of one guy's moodswings doesn't sound right to me either. Axl, too, could've contacted the other guys and say "no, I'm not coming yadda yadda yadda". The old guys don't need to bash Axl and the new line-up (I'm looking at you Steven), but they don't also need to march to the beat of Axl's drum anymore.

I think the point is that they (supposedly) did not try at all. Not saying that they should have "bent over backwards" but if they had tried to get in touch with him, they could have later said, with confidence, that they did in fact try but no dice from Axl. Instead what we got was, "IDK, we have not talked/communicated/had any contact".

And Snowmass, that's a little too extreme. It might not "affect" him but I hardly think he would be jumping for joy either. Axl called Slash cancer did he? Well, he also has Slash and Steven tattooed on his arm... :shrugs:

Edited by KiraMPD

I think the point is that they (supposedly) did not try at all. Not saying that they should have "bent over backwards" but if they had tried to get in touch with him, they could have later said, with confidence, that they did in fact try but no dice from Axl. Instead what we got was, "IDK, we have not talked/communicated/had any contact".

And Snowmass, that's a little too extreme. It might not "affect" him but I hardly think he would be jumping for joy either. Axl called Slash cancer did he? Well, he also has Slash and Steven tattooed on his arm... :shrugs:

Axl is the one who would have to initiate contact & apologize. Which will NEVER happen as he's made clear over & over & over like a fuckkng broken record. Axl- as you wrote in Sorry "Just shut up and sing"....

Axl is the one who would have to initiate contact & apologize. Which will NEVER happen as he's made clear over & over & over like a fuckkng broken record. Axl- as you wrote in Sorry "Just shut up and sing"....

That's not my point though! If Slash and Duff wanted a "reunion" of any sort during this event you know it has to come from them first cuz, as you said, Axl will not be the one to do it. If one simple call saying, "'Sup! So what do you want to do about this?" had been made then it would not be an issue at all with me. Even if Axl told them to fuck off (or not even pick up the phone) then they could safely say that they tried and Axl was just being an asshole as per usual.

Again, I reiterate, maybe they did and Matt does not know.

Edited by KiraMPD

How exactly would Slash approach calling Axl? I can see Duff doing that but I can't see Slash just picking up the phone and calling Axl, it would make for the most awkward moment ever

I don't think so. It would be something along these lines:

"Slash: Hey Axl, it's Slash.

Axl: Yeah, what you want ?

Slash: We need to talk about HOF.

Axl: I'm listening"

How exactly would Slash approach calling Axl? I can see Duff doing that but I can't see Slash just picking up the phone and calling Axl, it would make for the most awkward moment ever

Yup! It would make for a hilarious sight. I would love to have that on cam! :lol:

I don't think so. It would be something along these lines:

"Slash: Hey Axl, it's Slash.

Axl: Yeah, what you want ?

Slash: We need to talk about HOF.

Axl: I'm listening"

Slash would need to get Betas permission to speak to Axl. Highly doubt he has his #. Thats how petty Axl is. Axl could get ahold of Slash in about 10 minutes. Axls so damn insulated by "handlers" that it would take Slash's lawyer to track down Axl's lawyer to get ahold of Fernando to talk to Beta to possibly get writen permission to talk to Axl. And then Axl's handlers would need to review the questions and program Axl the answers. Fuck- the one time that Slash did try and go to Axl's door didn't Beta answer (allegedly)? My conspiracy is that Axl's "handlers" and "yes men" are the main issue in a reunion. They feed Axl's ego.

Edited by Snowmass

I think it's a strong possibility that Slash might want to see how his new album with myles sells. It looks like it will be a good album and if it sells well then Slash might be able to be a headline act with a band of his own with a singer who he gets on with and can make music with.

I think he might prefer this.

Just saying, for him this hall of fame might be bad timing. I bet he is not keen to abandon his solo project right now.

If his album sells badly then I bet he will want a GNR reunion.

Slash is after the dollar. But he also wants to make great music without being frustrated.

and i say this as a slash fan.

With this year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction day now upon us, we’ve heard from quite a few of the past and present Guns N’ Roses members including Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler and Izzy Stradlin on why they will or will not be in attendance. Now, former GN’R drummer Matt Sorum is weighing in with what he thinks could have helped sway Rose and Stradlin to attend the festivities.

Sorum told Artisan News that he thought that someone should have reached out to Rose personally, but he didn’t feel like he was the right person to do so. He says he mentioned it to both McKagan and Slash, but neither took him up on the idea. Sorum explained, “It’s cool that I’m going to be there. I told Duff, ‘One of you guys should call Axl,’ I know Duff played with him. ‘Why don’t you call him.’ Then I talked to Slash. I can’t call him. I’m way down the ladder, I’m like maybe right where Dizzy [Reed] is, maybe just a little above, I’m not sure. [laughs] I said ‘Slash, why don’t you call Izzy and then you call Axl,’ but it didn’t happen I guess.”

So with Rose and Stradlin passing on today’s honors, Sorum will still be attending. He explained, “I’m just going to go. I would be happy to be eating my steak, or whatever they’re going to feed me and watching [the other guys play]. I’d rather hand the sticks to Stevie [Adler, ex-GN'R drummer], actually. I’m cool with that. Hey, you know…I’ll go play cowbell or tambourine… I’ll sing the harmonies.”

The amiable Sorum even joked about helping out one of the other artists being inducted, saying, “I offered my services to Donovan, the folk singer who’s getting inducted. ‘Hey, I don’t think I’ll be playing with these guys, so…’”

So at last count, Slash, McKagan, Adler and Sorum will be on hand for the ceremony later today representing Guns N’Roses, with Green Day delivering the induction speech.

http://loudwire.com/matt-sorum-thinks-phone-call-to-axl-rose-may-have-made-all-the-difference/

Duff should have done it. He probably would have been the only one to actually get through to Axl.

Im shocked Duff didnt call, im almost thinking they didnt want axl there

I know, same. You would think that Duff would call him! I wonder why he didn't? :drevil:

I don't think it would have made a difference.

in a way it's ok that the bitch and Izzy aren't going,this way Duff,Slash and Steven gets the chance to shine.

they will be representing GNR.the real GNR.

Axl would have ruined it for everybody regardless.chickenshit.

did you read that massive rant by axl? there's no way a phonecall was going to fix all those issues. it would have been a massive achievement just to reach axl on the phone. you have to go through his maid, security people, then he will ask his lawyers first if he should talk to them. theres no way he was going to the HOF tonight. and no one else should feel bad, hes a grown man and he made his decision months, if not years ago about this.