What fans is Axl Rose catering to?

Nick85

Axl has no idea where he's going, he's just burning bridges and losing fans..

I'm still hanging in though. I feel he has one last great record in him... somewhere long down the line

It's funny some fans think thanks to the likes of Bach that Axl is some super genius who has a master plan, I call total BS on that one..

He couldn't even properly release CD, I feel for the guy he must be so lost

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It seems like he continues to schedule tours to simply avoid having to face another record release, be it old or newly recorded songs. Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

The only ones (and I'm sure they'll rear their heads in this thread) that continue to support him are the usual gluttons for punishment who dig the fact that Axl is out to please literally no one. Well, have fun with that.

I'm just sick of how publicly apathetic Axl is when it comes to the fans. He claims he's not out to disappoint us, but then he seemingly does everything in his power to have his actions dictate the opposite.

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call. Though, for whatever reason, I'm sure it wont be...

Edit: I'd like to add that I definitely can't wait for the inevitable fall South American tour to be announced, dashing hopes of a late 2012 release for the next album!! R'N'FN'Rolll!!!!

Axl entertains for a living, but it doesn't mean he has to be a schmoozer and people pleaser.

He's not putting a gun to anyone's head to pay money and see the show. It's your choice.

It was his choice not to go to the Rock Hall, and he explained in detail why he didn't go. He still respects the Rock Hall, just not the reasoning behind WHY GnR are in the Rock Hall. They deserved to be in there, but so did 30 or 40 other bands he can name off the top of his head.

But it comes down to this:

if he wasn't that damn good, no one would give a fuck.

It was a bummer that he didn't attend the HoF ceremony, but it isn't the end of the world. I, personally, don't want a reunion, but I want to hear new music. Now, I'm not demanding anything, cause they don't owe me anything. But in my mind, they need to release more music if they want to be taken seriously. And if Gn'R comes to my country, I'm probably not going. Seen them live once (2010) and it was great, but I don't see the point to go see them when all they do is keep touring and playing the same old songs and not evolving or going forward at all. I know, it doesn't make a big difference if one guy doesn't go, and I'm not trying to boycott anything here. It's just that Gn'R has felt so stale, since I saw them live. Maybe that's just me. But I really think new music would be the shot in the arm that this band needs.

And those who reply with the "life doesn't owe you your personal happy ending" -quote, get ready to be bitchslapped.

j/k :D :D...

i just believe it's not THAT hard to release new songs, after all. i know it's his life, his art... but that causes frustration and this hall of fame thing woke up some fans, frustated ones, mostly.

and i guess if axl has the right to not release new songs, fans have the right to complain and share their opinions. if these opinions bother you, just don't read. it's a message board open to all opinions, isn't it?

you can call them haters, cupcakes or whatever, i'm sure most of them are the ones who truly believe in axl's talent. it's funny because some posters believe that if you post your frustration they call it "obssession" and tell them to get a life when i'm pretty sure they do have a life, they don't lose sleep because of this, they are just posting a different opinion.

axl can do whatever he wants, but the right thing to do would be releasing new material. that's an opinion shared by so many people, it's almost becoming a fact.

Edited by maynard

It was a bummer that he didn't attend the HoF ceremony, but it isn't the end of the world. I, personally, don't want a reunion, but I want to hear new music. Now, I'm not demanding anything, cause they don't owe me anything. But in my mind, they need to release more music if they want to be taken seriously. And if Gn'R comes to my country, I'm probably not going. Seen them live once (2010) and it was great, but I don't see the point to go see them when all they do is keep touring and playing the same old songs and not evolving or going forward at all. I know, it doesn't make a big difference if one guy doesn't go, and I'm not trying to boycott anything here. It's just that Gn'R has felt so stale, since I saw them live. Maybe that's just me. But I really think new music would be the shot in the arm that this band needs.

And those who reply with the "life doesn't owe you your personal happy ending" -quote, get ready to be bitchslapped.

j/k :D :D...

What you're saying is right - they need to start putting out new music.

Well of course he needs to start putting out new music or else fans will keep dropping off. He said he would release a CD trilogy a few years ago so there wasn't a prob with the label then. I think Axl is the problem. He doesn't want to release it for whatever reason.

Well of course he needs to start putting out new music or else fans will keep dropping off. He said he would release a CD trilogy a few years ago so there wasn't a prob with the label then. I think Axl is the problem. He doesn't want to release it for whatever reason.

HE said that? Last time I recall him referring CD as a trilogy was back in 2002 but nothing after that. In the Eddie Trunk Radio interview he said that CD would be released as a single album. Sebastian Bach later said it would be a trilogy with the last installment being released in 2012.

If you have a more recent statement from Axl stating CD would be a trilogy, please tell me.

Mayhap he has given up on the trilogy thing...? Plus the label might be reluctant to back another release from him due to the disappointing reception of CD? Maybe Axl's just being difficult? Fuck if I know...

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It is not that Axl *will not* ... it is that he *can not*.

The debacle with the last 3 managers screwed up a lot of things for GnR. They tried to manipulate the situation to get a reunion tour instead of helping GnR secure more funding for promotion, music videos, and new music.

The debacle with these managers were largely responsible for Robin Finck bailing shortly after CD was released.

The record company is also not very eager in *investing* more money into new GnR material. It is a safer bet for the record company for GnR to remain as the 1993-GnR.

That is why GnR has been touring a lot. Besides raising money for new GnR material, they need to convince the record company that they can still make them a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's all about the $$$. Nobody except the band members cares about *artistic* innovation and integrity. The record company just wants a big return on their investment.

As Axl stated, once they figure out what their deal is with the record company, they will be able to move on with their next plans: new music videos and new music.

I thinl they've proven it already the last 3 years. They've been touring for 3 years playing huge arenas and to big audiences all over the world including 2 nights at 02 arena in London which is biggest concert venue in the world. Most bands never get to this level yet still release albums and have careers. Why are they not choosing to fund Gnr on the back of these stats? Dosen't make sense.

The 02 is far from the biggest concert venue in the world. It holds about 20,000 people (I believe).

Wembley Stadium (not Wembley arena) on the other hand (where they played in 1991 and 1992), holds about 80,000.

HE said that? Last time I recall him referring CD as a trilogy was back in 2002 but nothing after that. In the Eddie Trunk Radio interview he said that CD would be released as a single album. Sebastian Bach later said it would be a trilogy with the last installment being released in 2012.

If you have a more recent statement from Axl stating CD would be a trilogy, please tell me.

I believe in the 2008 forum chats he said something along the line of "i've always thought of it as a double album". (Not got time to find the actual quote)

It seems like he continues to schedule tours to simply avoid having to face another record release, be it old or newly recorded songs. Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

The only ones (and I'm sure they'll rear their heads in this thread) that continue to support him are the usual gluttons for punishment who dig the fact that Axl is out to please literally no one. Well, have fun with that.

I'm just sick of how publicly apathetic Axl is when it comes to the fans. He claims he's not out to disappoint us, but then he seemingly does everything in his power to have his actions dictate the opposite.

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call. Though, for whatever reason, I'm sure it wont be...

Edit: I'd like to add that I definitely can't wait for the inevitable fall South American tour to be announced, dashing hopes of a late 2012 release for the next album!! R'N'FN'Rolll!!!!

I dunno people, you all seem to have a twisted popish-bieber-hollywood stance towards music. as a musician myself I can say that it is never about what type of people are you trying to please (because that would make you a seller not an artist). You try your best to do what you think is right and if there happens to be other people who like what you did, great, but that's just a bonus.

Axl's trying his best to do what he thinks is right (skipping HOF is one of those things - some will like it some wont, but the moment you start doing things you think are not right just to please others you lose all the integrity that a human can have

slash and co thought that coming to the HOF was the right thing to do and they've done it and it seems that a lot of people agree with their thinking but those people should have no say in their decision.

Edited by the rush

I believe in the 2008 forum chats he said something along the line of "i've always thought of it as a double album". (Not got time to find the actual quote)

Ah, thanks I forgot about that. Found it...

Axl do you really have 2 or 3 other albums of material?

Dexter wrote:

For now we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album but I will say I've always thought of it as a double.

And no offence but no one's trying to talk in parables. The issues are a bit more complex than anyone would like.

AND

Q: - the "next" album ,does it look like that one ? so different style ?

A: Not clear on the question exactly but I’ll take a shot… it’s a lot more different styles than on this one. As I’ve said it seems more like a double album to me meaning Chinese and the followup.

So here he refers to it as a double, not a trilogy. And he doesn't say anything about another release anytime soon... :shrugs:

"The issues are a bit more complex than anyone would like." :question:

Edited by KiraMPD

He's clearly not trying to please the large majority of fans; that is, fans largely or strictly of the old band.

He's clearly not trying to please fans that loved Chinese Democracy or he'd release another part to it.

He's clearly not trying to please fans who like the new band or he'd record with them.

Nope, he's done artistically, now it's just make some money from touring and pretend a long show justifies the band's existence or constantly touring will somehow prove to people the worth of whatever version of "GNR" he is touring with.

Go to a GnR concert. Axl poors his heart out into giving you the best 3hours of your life.

Yes, not bad for a dude who "doesn´t care about the fans"... <_<

I´ve said it a million times and I´ll say it again. Just because Axl Rose doesn´t play your rules doesn´t mean he doesn´t care about the fans. And if you expect him to do what you want and the way you want, you clearly know nothing of GNR.

Ah, thanks I forgot about that. Found it...

Axl do you really have 2 or 3 other albums of material?

Dexter wrote:

For now we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album but I will say I've always thought of it as a double.

And no offence but no one's trying to talk in parables. The issues are a bit more complex than anyone would like.

AND

Q: - the "next" album ,does it look like that one ? so different style ?

A: Not clear on the question exactly but I’ll take a shot… it’s a lot more different styles than on this one. As I’ve said it seems more like a double album to me meaning Chinese and the followup.

So here he refers to it as a double, not a trilogy. And he doesn't say anything about another release anytime soon... :shrugs:

"The issues are a bit more complex than anyone would like." :question:

Yes I'm talking about wjat he said in the forum chats which were only a few years ago. It's a double album not trilogy then. My bad

He's clearly not trying to please the large majority of fans; that is, fans largely or strictly of the old band.

He's clearly not trying to please fans that loved Chinese Democracy or he'd release another part to it.

He's clearly not trying to please fans who like the new band or he'd record with them.

Nope, he's done artistically, now it's just make some money from touring and pretend a long show justifies the band's existence or constantly touring will somehow prove to people the worth of whatever version of "GNR" he is touring with.

Yeah, he thinks going out and performing music with his band justifies the band's existence. What a maroon, right? :rolleyes:

What have we learned from this thread so far?

1 - Some people think that winning an American Music Award is the same thing as being voted into a Hall of Fame.

2 - Some people think that "fans" voting for awards is better than doing it by committee, despite the fact that letting fans vote is almost always a bad idea in other areas. Proven many times in the past, from "stuffing" ballot boxes, to voting players to All-Star games when they were hurt and didn't even play a single game.

3 - The lack of song or video releases has nothing to do with Axl and is all due to "business" reasons.

Did I miss anything?

1, Actually its clear that the American Music Awards are a lot less controversial than the RRHOF and Axl's hardly the first person who hasnt been in loving approval of the way they run things. At the end of the day, they're both awards that are supposed to recognize your work. That recognition stands regardless of whether you're there or not.

2, It need not be "better" but it might actually justify the idea of RRHOF being "all about the fans" if the fans actually HAD a voting say in the matter.

3, I doubt that anybody is saying that the lack of album or video releases has "nothing" to do with Axl. But at the same time, there's strong evidence that the industry can make things mighty uncomfortable what with the label apparently forcing Axl into a 360 deal with their maneuverings over the release of CD. With the next album, getting somewhat advantageous terms for release may not be entirely in Axl's hands. Also, there's the matter of adding DJ to the mix, otherwise the same old criticism of "its a tribute band, yada yada" will only go on ad infinitum. We know that the label has not supported recording since 2004 so that means Axl funded all recording in 2006 himself- that means all of Ron's work. This time its possible they'll have to pitch in with the video budgets too. The extended touring might be connected to that. The release of videos from CD not materializing is probably all Axl though.

Yeah, he thinks going out and performing music with his band justifies the band's existence. What a maroon, right? :rolleyes:

Hiring a bunch of guys to play his old band's songs, does not constitute actively moving forward. He would have to be rehearsing and writing music with them for that. The only time these guys see Axl is when he shows up on stage.....late.

Hiring a bunch of guys to play his old band's songs, does not constitute actively moving forward. He would have to be rehearsing and writing music with them for that. The only time these guys see Axl is when he shows up on stage.....late.

Excuse me but I was under the impression that these "hired guys" also played many of their own songs since people like Ron, Frank, Tommy and Chris actually happen to be on CD. Plus the songs arent just the "old band's", they also happen to be Axl's own songs. Since the complaint always is that GN'R isnt like other bands, how many other bands decide to "actively move forward" by refusing to play their old hits? As for the writing music part, every time DJ talks about the fact that he is writing, it leads to nasty attacks on him. It seems that there are no alternatives here that can truly make people happy.

Edited by rabia

I dont think he is "catering" to anyone. I think he realizes that there is no mass market for GNR music, or any real rock music that

would sound like anything he would create.

Thats evidenced by the fact that Chinese Democracy, imo, was a collection of some kick ass songs,

But whens the last time you heard even one song from it played regularily on the radio?

Theres no market for real rock n roll. The shit they play today is not rock music

So it is what it is,

he is able to travel around the world, seeing some pretty cool places and

Play to people who love his music and make a little money while he is at it.

He will release some new songs I'm sure, at some point.

But it will be when he is ready, and only when he is ready.

Sounds like a pretty good life to me.

Edited by shades

Excuse me but I was under the impression that these "hired guys" also played many of their own songs since people like Ron, Frank, Tommy and Chris actually happen to be on CD. Plus the songs arent just the "old band's", they also happen to be Axl's own songs. Since the complaint always is that GN'R isnt like other bands, how many other bands decide to "actively move forward" by refusing to play their old hits? As for the writing music part, every time DJ talks about the fact that he is writing, it leads to nasty attacks on him. It seems that there are no alternatives here that can truly make people happy.

I just want to point out one little thing, not reply to your whole post, but DJ is writing songs. Okay, good for DJ. Remember when the old BAND wrote songs as a BAND. Why isn't DJ saying "Me, Bumble and Richard had a great jam the other night and have some ideas for songs"? DJ is writing songs, Ron's probably writing some cheesy happy go lucky shit songs as per his style, Pittman probably has a full hard-drive of stolen samples ala Rhiad, Richard's probably couldn't care less and tours for the paycheck, all the while the dedicated collab team of Robin and Bucket has a bank full of songs that will never get released.

What a world.

I just want to point out one little thing, not reply to your whole post, but DJ is writing songs. Okay, good for DJ. Remember when the old BAND wrote songs as a BAND. Why isn't DJ saying "Me, Bumble and Richard had a great jam the other night and have some ideas for songs"? DJ is writing songs, Ron's probably writing some cheesy happy go lucky shit songs as per his style, Pittman probably has a full hard-drive of stolen samples ala Rhiad, Richard's probably couldn't care less and tours for the paycheck, all the while the dedicated collab team of Robin and Bucket has a bank full of songs that will never get released.

What a world.

With all due respect, you should check out the UYI era. It was only in AFD phase that GN'R were writing songs altogether as a band. By UYI, Slash was bringing in songs, Izzy was bringing in songs and Axl was bringing in songs. Duff brought in some stuff too. Then Axl would work on them in the studio, layer them and add vocals etc.

Edited by rabia

Hmm, perhaps the base of songs yes, but they always spun off in different directions with influence from other band members. Could be the same with these DJ songs I suppose I was thinking they're largely complete sans vocals but they could be very basic tracks.

Well, Tommy, Dizzy and Chris have said that its a collaborative process and there was a long period when Dizzy, Tommy and Chris were working together in the studio. One of Bumblefoot's solo on Shackler's actually replaced Buckethead's despite the fact that its a song written by Buckethead so things do spin off in different directions based on people's input.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so.

Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call.

When has Axl ruled out the release of a further installment from that era? He's never publicly addressed the matter of new music with the current incarnation therefore how are we to know whether or not it has happened in some manner? I think the shift to new album mode this time is going to be a silent transcencion rather than a series of brash vocal statements like with CD.

When did Ashba express such a sentiment? I think he offered the tour schedule as a reason behind no official studio time to date but I don't recall him saying he was personally resentful to this fact?

The vast majority or those in attendance at the Hall of Fame event wouldn't, in my opinion, constitute a 1999 onwards GN'R fan. It was those there to see an Axl/Slash formation or simply attend a corporate glitzy event like 'the Hall'.