What fans is Axl Rose catering to?

Nick85

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It is not that Axl *will not* ... it is that he *can not*.

The debacle with the last 3 managers screwed up a lot of things for GnR. They tried to manipulate the situation to get a reunion tour instead of helping GnR secure more funding for promotion, music videos, and new music.

The debacle with these managers were largely responsible for Robin Finck bailing shortly after CD was released.

The record company is also not very eager in *investing* more money into new GnR material. It is a safer bet for the record company for GnR to remain as the 1993-GnR.

That is why GnR has been touring a lot. Besides raising money for new GnR material, they need to convince the record company that they can still make them a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's all about the $$$. Nobody except the band members cares about *artistic* innovation and integrity. The record company just wants a big return on their investment.

As Axl stated, once they figure out what their deal is with the record company, they will be able to move on with their next plans: new music videos and new music.

I thinl they've proven it already the last 3 years. They've been touring for 3 years playing huge arenas and to big audiences all over the world including 2 nights at 02 arena in London which is biggest concert venue in the world. Most bands never get to this level yet still release albums and have careers. Why are they not choosing to fund Gnr on the back of these stats? Dosen't make sense.

Edited by Janis

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't it been explained like a gazillion times that no more music has been released and no videos has been made etc cause of management/business issues?

I don't believe that.

Even I can't believe it. I can't comprehend the level of business issues it would take to only allow him to barely eek out one album since 1993.

What have we learned from this thread so far?

1 - Some people think that winning an American Music Award is the same thing as being voted into a Hall of Fame.

2 - Some people think that "fans" voting for awards is better than doing it by committee, despite the fact that letting fans vote is almost always a bad idea in other areas. Proven many times in the past, from "stuffing" ballot boxes, to voting players to All-Star games when they were hurt and didn't even play a single game.

3 - The lack of song or video releases has nothing to do with Axl and is all due to "business" reasons.

Did I miss anything?

I'm almost positive that after this round of touring, SOMETHING has to happen. They've been touring for this sam album for 10 years, eventually people are going to get sick of a setlist that's pretty much the same.

Axl is in it for Axl. Period. He despised the original guys and as far as the fans he tolerates us.

So he despised them so much that he let Izzy, Duff, and Adler join GnR for free concerts and parties?

Axl even paid for some of Adler's rehab. Adler called Axl a "sweet guy" for taking care of him after he got fired.

Duff's Loaded even opened shows for GnR.

Axl and Izzy have reconciled for a long time now too. Izzy can pop on tour with GnR any time he wants to.

Go to a GnR concert. Axl poors his heart out into giving you the best 3hours of your life.

Axl is in it for Axl. Period. He despised the original guys and as far as the fans he tolerates us.

So he despised them so much that he let Izzy, Duff, and Adler join GnR for free concerts and parties?

Axl even paid for some of Adler's rehab. Adler called Axl a "sweet guy" for taking care of him after he got fired.

Duff's Loaded even opened shows for GnR.

Axl and Izzy have reconciled for a long time now too. Izzy can pop on tour with GnR any time he wants to.

Go to a GnR concert. Axl poors his heart out into giving you the best 3hours of your life.

+1

Hasn't it been explained like a gazillion times that no more music has been released and no videos has been made etc cause of management/business issues?

I don't believe that.

Even I can't believe it. I can't comprehend the level of business issues it would take to only allow him to barely eek out one album since 1993.

Indeed. If it really is a label issue couldn't they release an album independently?

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It is not that Axl *will not* ... it is that he *can not*.

The debacle with the last 3 managers screwed up a lot of things for GnR. They tried to manipulate the situation to get a reunion tour instead of helping GnR secure more funding for promotion, music videos, and new music.

The debacle with these managers were largely responsible for Robin Finck bailing shortly after CD was released.

The record company is also not very eager in *investing* more money into new GnR material. It is a safer bet for the record company for GnR to remain as the 1993-GnR.

That is why GnR has been touring a lot. Besides raising money for new GnR material, they need to convince the record company that they can still make them a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's all about the $$$. Nobody except the band members cares about *artistic* innovation and integrity. The record company just wants a big return on their investment.

As Axl stated, once they figure out what their deal is with the record company, they will be able to move on with their next plans: new music videos and new music.

Hiring and firing of managers is nothing new. Went through a couple during UYI.

Was it really these "managers" fault for Robin to bail?

The record company maybe not very eager in *investing* on Axl's GNR maybe cause of this: Chinese Democracy domestically undersold expectations. It received generally mixed to positive reviews from music critics. The album achieved international chart success and has sold over one million copies in Europe.

To this day, it is the most expensive album to ever be produced in rock history, with production costs tallying in excess of thirteen million dollars

(not to mention it took how many years to make.) With that kind of money I would expect the Mona Lisa of music. In which it was not. It was ok, not to bad for a new project band that could be called Axl's GNR, but for a Guns N Roses it really is not.

Music business can be slimy, just like any business that deals with money.

It doesnt matter he will still get constant questions about getting Guns N Roses back together, if he still wants to keep that name, till the day he dies.

it's hard to believe that having so much money like axl does, you need to gather money to make a new record. man, that's just ridiculous. the guy has money to hire jesus as the producer. money is not an issue, folks.

Edited by maynard

So weird that every other band in the world is able to work with their labels.

Axl was firing producers and managers back in the 80s and 90s. Nobody is out to get him.

Music quality and integrity? A band that put out two albums at once and did about 10 videos from them. Has now put out one album in 20 years.

You guys argue both sides. U say Axl would put out more music if the labels weren't holding him back. But then say he doesnt release music because of artistic integrity. Which is it???

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time.

I wish that he would trust that his fans would appreciate music that he creates even if it isn't worked on for a decade and reworked to death. That his 90% perfect song is better than 95% of the rock out there today.

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would.

What?? When did he say he won't release the unreleased CD music??

He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so.

What?? When did he say he won't release new music??

Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup.

What?? Robin and Brain just played with the band in LA. Duff played with the band in 2010. Izzy played with the band in 2006.

What fans is he trying to please?

Fans who like good music and understands that you can't force art?

Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

He has?? Where?

The only ones (and I'm sure they'll rear their heads in this thread) that continue to support him are the usual gluttons for punishment who dig the fact that Axl is out to please literally no one. Well, have fun with that.

I am.

I'm just sick of how publicly apathetic Axl is when it comes to the fans.

If YOU are the one who is sick, then you are the one "glutton for punishment". So, are you having fun? ;).

He claims he's not out to disappoint us, but then he seemingly does everything in his power to have his actions dictate the opposite.

Yet he is touring a lot pleasing the audiences all over the world, streaming live shows and revamping the webpage. Do you see the paradox in what you are saying?

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call. Though, for whatever reason, I'm sure it wont be...

They were probably not fans of Axl, duh.

Edit: I'd like to add that I definitely can't wait for the inevitable fall South American tour to be announced, dashing hopes of a late 2012 release for the next album!! R'N'FN'Rolll!!!!

You have hopes for a 2012 release? You are very delusional, as demonstrated with this hopeless post of yours.