This is Guns N Roses in 2012

Axl Rose Husband

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the original band reunited, they would be 100 times better than the line up now. I love the current line-up, but let's be honest here. :P

Being honest, as someone who saw the old band and has been a GN'R fan since 1988, the new lineup is as good, if not a better group of players all around than the old band.

And, if the old band reunited now, there's no telling what kind of chemistry, if any, they would have.

Ali

That chemistry never goes away. Go look at David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen

But the chemistry did go away for GnR.

That is why the pre-1993 GnR is gone.

So? Original VH was gone for 25+ and then they came back with a smokin' album.

If the guys who made AFD ever made up (ya it won't happen) and went in the studio, that same chemistry would come back. No doubt about it. They could write a great album...this new lineup - not so much.

Snal

And when you listen to everybody's discography, only Axl Rose has been able to deliver us music that is worthy of the name "Guns n' Roses".

THIS

Great music + Great lyrics....

I don't think anything the former members released after they left GN'R stacked up to Chinese Democracy. Certainly not Snakepit, VR, or Loaded. Chinese Democracy smoked their asses.

Snakepit and VR had some cool stuff, but I think that CD was the best Gn'R related thing we had so far.

Just my 2 cents.

strumming basic chords on dead horse doesnt count.

this debate has been going on for like 16 years and im sure not one single person has swayed in their opinion. music is just way too subjective

i prefer snakepit over anything the other members have done thus far, other than that everyones quality afterwards starts going down pretty fast. VR released a handful of good songs like Slither and Messages. There's parts to CD that i liked, but the industrialness and the way its produced i just hate. Like, on Shacklers, I love axls singing in the main verse, but the other grungy soungs and that HORRIBLE god damn solo, wow way to ruin it. its like that all the way through the album to me. better was ok and i liked catcher in the rye but that one line "made me wish i had a gun" just sounds corny to me. but the guitar sounds pretty good in it.

Edited by cliffburton

Snal

And when you listen to everybody's discography, only Axl Rose has been able to deliver us music that is worthy of the name "Guns n' Roses".

THIS

I don't think anything the former members released after they left GN'R stacked up to Chinese Democracy. Certainly not Snakepit, VR, or Loaded. Chinese Democracy smoked their asses.

Snakepit and VR had some cool stuff, but I think that CD was the best Gn'R related thing we had so far.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh hell yeah. I liked the albums but I think Chinese blew them out of the water.

He also played on Shotgun Blues and TWAT. Duff said he's really good.

One of those is a really bad example. Shotgun Blues is one of the three worst songs Guns n' Roses in any incarnation has made. Silkworms and My World round out the top three.

CD on it's own terms is a great record. I seriously doubt the Afd line up could top afd and they sort of burned out. They all nearly died.

Could not agree more. :thumbsup:

One of those is a really bad example. Shotgun Blues is one of the three worst songs Guns n' Roses in any incarnation has made. Silkworms and My World round out the top three.

I really don't get the dislike/hate for Shotgun Blues, its just a straight up rn'r song. One of my favs form UYI in fact.

What exactly is so bad/offensive about that song?

Edited by KiraMPD

He actually recorded the rythm guitar parts on some songs, like TWAT.

He also played here:

..what a rare photo. Axl playing guitar on 'Maddy"live in Rio 2001, He wrote all the gtr parts, including lead gtr. I recorded him playing lots of awesome guitar parts back then, I don't think people know what an original and cool guitar player he really is,....those were fun times.

Also, Buckethead and Paul Tobias are truly awesome

Pitman

:thumbsup:

You don't have to be on drugs/ drink a lot of booze to write good songs, drugs were one of the reasons the old band broke up. Slash/ Duff almost died because of them.

I think the point was that the old band were able to achieve all that they did in spite of being fucked up on drugs and booze whereas the new band are (comparatively) clean and sober professionals and still don't seem to be able to write or release anything.

Hmmm... makes sense.

Uh, I don't it makes sense at all. The new band's inability to release and create music ain't got anything to do with them. That's Axl's fault I suppose. If it was up to them we would be listening to much more (and kickass) music from CD and current era.

slash fucked up pretty bad

Yup. That's my point. They're going on forever about how great they were when in reality they fucked up more than once. And they played three songs only - they werent on drugs or drunk. They simply fucked up these songs.

it's humerous to see those people who critique Axls voice are suddenly quiet when slash stuffs up as well.

How exactly did they fuck up?! They nailed it.

He fucked up Sweet Child at least twice. The main solo - right when he plays the wah bit, and the 2nd solo. Not to mention the almost 2-minute long Brownstone intro

CD on it's own terms is a great record. I seriously doubt the Afd line up could top afd and they sort of burned out. They all nearly died.

Could not agree more. :thumbsup:

The only way they could top AFD if the next album had hardcore sex, and conclude with a shoot out with the police and Axl die screaming defiantly.

Guest gunns5

So would Axl fronting Slash's Snakepit or Velvet Revolver be considered "Guns n Roses"?

If Axl proclaimed that it was...would you accept that?

I wouldn't because for the most part, the music is not up to gnr standard, regardless of who is on vocals, you can't polish a turd

I wanted to hear the answer from Warchild...er,I mean...so...uh...yeah....anyway. :book:

why the hell is this thing allowed back here to post?

You don't have to be on drugs/ drink a lot of booze to write good songs, drugs were one of the reasons the old band broke up. Slash/ Duff almost died because of them.

I think the point was that the old band were able to achieve all that they did in spite of being fucked up on drugs and booze whereas the new band are (comparatively) clean and sober professionals and still don't seem to be able to write or release anything.

Hmmm... makes sense.

Uh, I don't it makes sense at all. The new band's inability to release and create music ain't got anything to do with them. That's Axl's fault I suppose. If it was up to them we would be listening to much more (and kickass) music from CD and current era.

slash fucked up pretty bad

Yup. That's my point. They're going on forever about how great they were when in reality they fucked up more than once. And they played three songs only - they werent on drugs or drunk. They simply fucked up these songs.

it's humerous to see those people who critique Axls voice are suddenly quiet when slash stuffs up as well.

How exactly did they fuck up?! They nailed it.

He fucked up Sweet Child at least twice. The main solo - right when he plays the wah bit, and the 2nd solo. Not to mention the almost 2-minute long Brownstone intro

you talking about the part where he does the harmonic? he does all the time, he means to.

VR did a great job at the HOF.

Nah, their performance at the Van Halen induction kind of sucked.

Oh you mean Velvet Revolver minus Scott Weiland plus Myles Kennedy plus Gilby Clarke minus Dave Kushner plus Steven Adler?

There are two things that for sure people have been really ridiculous about the last couple days. One is saying it was Velvet Revolver playing at the Hall of Fame. The other is how much people have been talking about freaking Tracii Guns.

Snal

THIS

Just my 2 cents.

Oh hell yeah. I liked the albums but I think Chinese blew them out of the water.

The majority of Guns N' Roses fans, music press and the record-buying public strongly disagree with these sentiments. But fuck, what do they know? You guys are the experts.

Snal

THIS

Just my 2 cents.

The majority of Guns N' Roses fans, music press and the record-buying public strongly disagree with these sentiments. But fuck, what do they know? You guys are the experts.

Where are you getting the "majority" from? I've read good reviews, mixed reciews, seen postive feedback.

I don't get where people are getting the "majority" from, they all think they have a shared opinion.