Guns N’ Roses Guitarist DJ Ashba Reveals His Tortured Childhood

gunsguy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, just lock this thread. Seriously. The disrespect from internet dweebs who can't get over the fact that their favorite guitar player isn't in GNR anymore is ridiculous.

Actually, just lock this thread. Seriously. The disrespect from internet dweebs who can't get over the fact that their favorite guitar player isn't in GNR anymore is ridiculous.

No don't lock the thread. It's a discussion not a bashing. my favourite guitar players ARE in GNR. I'm just suggesting he's not completely fan friendly, ie, charging for M&G's and potentially being paid for his story.

And what the fuck does bullying have to do with meet and greets exactly?

Exactly.

This will be my last post in this thread.

DJ Ashba uses his tweets to tell his fans he loves them, he acts like he's your best friend then the rest of his tweets are promoting his Ashba swag..ect. It's all a con. Gain respect, earn $$, very sellout attitude.

Does richard fortus? No, not at all. Axl? Most defiantly not. Dj isn't your friend, he doesn't 'love you' and is trying to make himself a likeable character to sell his own stuff. At least tommy stinson promotes a charity, where Dj promotes his own creed. If he loved his fans so much he wouldn't take part in a £250 m&g. he'd do it for free. It only annoys me because he acts like he's your best friend, where as the other guys in the band don't.

Just saying, be warned and be aware of his manipulative tactics. It won't be long until Ashba swag is plagued on to your facebook news feed.

Ashba’s father could not be reached for comment, but his current wife, reached on the phone, denied any knowledge of him having abused his son.

To quote a friend "MYGNRGUMENT"

Edited by Axl_morris

My sympathy to any victim of domestic abuse, whether they are famous or not. Glad to say that I have never personally witnessed this.

More shocking are the posts here by people who claim to NOT CARE yet continue to post in this thread. Typical internet crap but seems to be amplified on this GNR site.

I have to say, the shockingly dismissive tone with which some posters have discussed child abuse in this thread is sickening. Such people have already made it amply clear that they dislike DJ. But to turn this thread into a hate-fest about a "hired hand" shows the ridiculous levels to which hate can be taken, to the point that you cant even remember that the person you're talking about is, at the end of the day, just a human being like you. Not everything is a death match between the old and new line-ups and you don't need to be everyone's beloved star to have a story that can uplift people, if only for a minute.

DJ doesnt have to be my "friend" for me to see that its a messed up situation for a child to feel mortally afraid of his own father. I think its fantastic that he has turned out such a positive person. Children who have experienced abuse are statistically more likely to suffer long term health problems and social adjustment issues and they often get locked into self-destructive patterns in life. DJ is a positive story of somebody who didnt let his scars drag him down. I dont understand how that can be spat upon.

Edited by rabia

Really disappointing to see it has come to the point some people here are actually bashing/criticizing DJ Ashba for sharing his childhood problems in a site dedicate to support those who suffer from Bullying. Some people here are worthless human beings.

I have to say, the shockingly dismissive tone with which some posters have discussed child abuse in this thread is sickening. Such people have already made it amply clear that they dislike DJ. But to turn this thread into a hate-fest about a "hired hand" shows the ridiculous levels to which hate can be taken, to the point that you cant even remember that the person you're talking about is, at the end of the day, just a human being like you. Not everything is a death match between the old and new line-ups and you don't need to be everyone's beloved star to have a story that can uplift people, if only for a minute.

DJ doesnt have to be my "friend" for me to see that its a messed up situation for a child to feel mortally afraid of his own father. I think its fantastic that he has turned out such a positive person. Children who have experienced abuse are statistically more likely to suffer long term health problems and social adjustment issues and they often get locked into self-destructive patterns in life. DJ is a positive story of somebody who didnt let his scars drag him down. I dont understand how that can be spat upon.

+1

It is easy to write here this and that behind a username. It takes much more courage to tell about painful experiences using your own name and face.

It just makes me sad that so many bad things happen in the world.

I am sure there are many kids in the same situation who cannot really tell about it to anyone. Dj’s example might give them hope about things getting better

and assurance that they too can recover from it (to some extent at least). If such a kid is now reading this: you are perfect, the violent person is the one with the problem.

What is wrong with being multi-talented? He can play guitar and design clothes etc., but he is not allowed to promote his products?

A big warm hug to Dj from me.

Really disappointing to see it has come to the point some people here are actually bashing/criticizing DJ Ashba for sharing his childhood problems in a site dedicate to support those who suffer from Bullying. Some people here are worthless human beings.

Same. I'm not quite sure what these people's problems are, but I would never criticize someone for sharing their childhood problems with us. Even if I hated the guy I still wouldn't. I could not imagine being abused by my parents.

If he has one or two fans that sought out his help, words of advice, and they do something with it, mission accomplished for him. It's that dilemma of honoring your mother and father because it's in the bible, but if they're less than honorable and flawed, all bets are off, and it's just a matter of not going down the same path they did.

Kids need mentors, and sometimes they live in places where they can't find any, turn to other things, sometimes good, sometimes not.

I have to say, I am surprised at the reaction. I am not a fan of DJ Ashba in the least, but I feel compassion for what he had to grow up with. NO child should ever have to go through something like that. Hopefully by telling his story it will help someone else.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

some similarities with axl's life

Maybe one day he'll refuse to go on stage unless the band hands the name over to him.

Haha yeah, maybe he will, and then Axl will have no choice but to sign over the name because he puts the fans first; just like what happened to poor Slash. Then many years from now, when DJ Ashba loses his meglomaniac edge and starts putting the fans 1st (as Slash did in '93 and Axl will unboubtedly 2023), his non-Axl lead singer will threaten the same, and Ashba will have no choice but to capitulate. Thus, shall GnR perpetuate for the next 3 millennia, because of the rule of two. There shall always be one meglomaniac who abuses the power, and one underminer who seeks to cease it through any means necessary.

Although this situation is indeed a dire one, we should not despair. For it has been prophesied that the corporeal spirit of Steven Adler will guide an unlikely farm boy to realise his destiny by throwing the last descendant of this sinister lineage, Ax-Slashulos, into the reactor of the GnR capital ship holding orbit over Landis IV, forever ending this nonsense.

Wow, what an incredible amount of assholes showing themselves in this thread. :scared:

I prefer the old band and Slash to the new one and DJ as well, but how is that in any shape or form a reason to make light of child abuse?! Some people here are seriously messed up.

It's very brave of DJ to talk about this and I'm sure his main motivation was to be an inspiration and an encouragement for other kids in similar situations and not to sell some more T-shirts. :crazy:

(And one certainly doesn't need talk to his father for his side of the story and some so called 'objectivity' either. What a crazy comment.)

some similarities with axl's life

Maybe one day he'll refuse to go on stage unless the band hands the name over to him.

Haha yeah, maybe he will, and then Axl will have no choice but to sign over the name because he puts the fans first; just like what happened to poor Slash. Then many years from now, when DJ Ashba loses his meglomaniac edge and starts putting the fans 1st (as Slash did in '93 and Axl will unboubtedly 2023), his non-Axl lead singer will threaten the same, and Ashba will have no choice but to capitulate. Thus, shall GnR perpetuate for the next 3 millennia, because of the rule of two. There shall always be one meglomaniac who abuses the power, and one underminer who seeks to cease it through any means necessary.

Although this situation is indeed a dire one, we should not despair. For it has been prophesied that the corporeal spirit of Steven Adler will guide an unlikely farm boy to realise his destiny by throwing the last descendant of this sinister lineage, Ax-Slashulos, into the reactor of the GnR capital ship holding orbit over Landis IV, forever ending this nonsense.

:rofl-lol:

Loved that. Axl and dj as the rule of 2

Edited by ZoSoRose

Now I can see why Axl likes him. They have a common past.

In my experience child abuse is nothing to laugh about. It is the most fucked up feeling that someone you depend on for protection and guidance turns you into a punching bag, physically and verbally. You just feel like shit, I admire Ashba how well he turned out.

From someone who came from a loving home, never beaten or abused I can never know what this feels like but can feel myself tearing up at the thought that this type of thing goes on still in people's private homes.

I'm so sorry if you've been a victim. :(

*yawn* every rock star was beat up and touched as a child. I'm sure the millions of dollars, woman and fame help to seal those wounds quick enough.

Basic Human Empathy Fail. Gtfo

you are aware that there are thousands of little boys being beaten up or even raped as we speak right? and you are showing no empathy to them. hypocrisy. just caring because you know who the person is. i hate this kind of people.

I highly doubt Flayer is referring to just DJ but to any child in general who is abused.

No, $$$, women & fame would never heal those wounds but simply "cover" them, at least DJ is helping other bullied or abused children as he is in a position where his profile can bring this subject to the public - he is like many others who throw themselves into work to hide their sad childhood & luckily has turned out helping others in the long run.

Can't believe how uncaring people can be, maybe these are mainly people who have never had children so don't know what it is like to love a child.

Wow, what an incredible amount of assholes showing themselves in this thread. :scared:

I prefer the old band and Slash to the new one and DJ as well, but how is that in any shape or form a reason to make light of child abuse?! Some people here are seriously messed up.

It's very brave of DJ to talk about this and I'm sure his main motivation was to be an inspiration and an encouragement for other kids in similar situations and not to sell some more T-shirts. :crazy:

(And one certainly doesn't need talk to his father for his side of the story and some so called 'objectivity' either. What a crazy comment.)

ikr alot of people being assholes in this thread. that story was horrible and hopefully alot of people going through something similar can find some strength knowing someone else went through what they are going through

Edited by bran