Levon Helm in final stages of cancer

Zint

link

"Dear Friends,

Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy"

:question: so sad..

Guest Len B'stard

Who are The Band? They're the lads that played with Bob Dylan, aren't they? Is this that?

Edited by sugaraylen

Who are The Band? They're the lads that played with Bob Dylan, aren't they? Is this that?

They're so much more than that. They made 'Music From Big Pink,' for christ's sake!

I had the honor of seeing Levon a couple summers ago. He only sang on a few songs, and his voice wasn't what it once was, but I have never seen a musician more thoroughly joyful with their craft. The man smiled the whole night. He was told a decade ago he'd never sing again 'cause of throat cancer, but told the doctors to FRO and kept on singing. An amazing performer and amazing man. The world has been blessed to keep him on borrowed time for this long. This is a sad, sad day for music. I hope to God that he pulls out another miracle, but am not optimistic. God bless you, Levon.

All I know The Band is like sugarraylen from Dylan, and whilst I am somewhat familair with the name itself, I don't know Levon Helm from a bar of soap. But, I saw this today on the Rolling Stone website and all I can say is it breaks your heart to hear another human being going through something like this and to be told your in the last stage, you know essentially turning the lock on the door. Phwoar, gees I mean how do you deal with the gravity of such news? Poor fellow, God bless him, all I can say. That being said stertching out the cancer for over a period of what? 10 years? That's a fair effort and I'm sure many in his circle would agree when I say that's at least 10 years more than nothing. BTW anyone know what's going on with Robin Gibb of late?

Guest Len B'stard

My understanding is that they were the boys behind Dylan when he went electric. I remember one of their names was richie or ricky something? or Richard? Might be wrong. I did buy this album though, the Basement Tapes and apparently thats them too. Like em, pretty cool :) And hey, if that Dylan electric stuff is anything to go by they were the fuckin bollocks, hope this guy pulls through although final stages don't sound too promising...

My understanding is that they were the boys behind Dylan when he went electric. I remember one of their names was richie or ricky something? or Richard? Might be wrong. I did buy this album though, the Basement Tapes and apparently thats them too. Like em, pretty cool :) And hey, if that Dylan electric stuff is anything to go by they were the fuckin bollocks, hope this guy pulls through although final stages don't sound too promising...

With Dylan he they also did The Basement Tapes, Planet Waves and Self Portrait. The Basement Tapes is beyond brilliant.

And they're on Dylan's The Bootleg Series Vol. 4. But that's all really Dylan. The Basement Tapes is also really The Band

You should really give Music From Big Pink and their self-titled album a try. Great albums!

Any of the other guys from The Band don't ring a bell either? Rick Danko? Robbie Robbertson? Garth Hudson? Richard Manuel?

Ontopic: Very tragic! The best to him and his family and friends.

Ps.

And yes, The Last Waltz really is one of the best concert movies ever made. Top 3 at the very least imo.

Guest Len B'stard

There y'go, Rick Danko and Robbie Robertson, thats who i was thinkin of! I knew there was a Rick in there and then someone with a double RR'd name. Probably comes from watching that No Direction Home documentary tons. I've heard Self Portrait and, as previously mentioned, The Basement Tapes, damn, i've heard more of them that i thought :) Might have to give Music From the Big Pink a try, thank you :)

I'd be interested to know if Dylan came in with those Highway 61 songs all worked out and arranged or if that was the work of The Band themselves cuz if it weren't all Dylan those boys deserve a lot of credit.

Edited by sugaraylen

There y'go, Rick Danko and Robbie Robertson, thats who i was thinkin of! I knew there was a Rick in there and then someone with a double RR'd name. Probably comes from watching that No Direction Home documentary tons. I've heard Self Portrait and, as previously mentioned, The Basement Tapes, damn, i've heard more of them that i thought :) Might have to give Music From the Big Pink a try, thank you :)

I'd be interested to know if Dylan came in with those Highway 61 songs all worked out and arranged or if that was the work of The Band themselves cuz if it weren't all Dylan those boys deserve a lot of credit.

The band backing Dylan on the Highway 61 record are actually the first incarnation of what would become the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, including the legendary Mike Bloomfield. They would also back him for his infamous Newport Folk Festival performance and subsequent US tour. They got big enough on their own by the time Dylan was looking to tour, and so he needed a new backing band. He borrowed The Hawks, the band backing Ronnie Hawkins at the time, and they were renamed The Band.

The band backing Dylan on the Highway 61 record are actually the first incarnation of what would become the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, including the legendary Mike Bloomfield. They would also back him for his infamous Newport Folk Festival performance and subsequent US tour. They got big enough on their own by the time Dylan was looking to tour, and so he needed a new backing band. He borrowed The Hawks, the band backing Ronnie Hawkins at the time, and they were renamed The Band.

Levon Helm did some shows with Dylan, but he bailed because of the negative reaction, and Mickey Jones would replace him for the rest of the tour.

It does kind of suck that it took Levon being that sick for Robbie to come visit him...they said it took 35 years to have them in the same room. There's no doubt in my mind the GNR hoopla played a part in Robbie going to visit. Scorsese and Robertson became friends, and played a part in why he's featured so much in "The Last Waltz", but he's done a lot of scoring Scorsese's movies.

Here's the Band's Rock Hall induction. Levon did not attend.

In Woodstock NY, for about a decade, Levon had hosted the Midnight Rambles (it was 100 bucks! but you had some GREAT musicians), and he had been taking that on the road for the past few. I think he won a Grammy for his last CD, there's a documentary still in the works about his life, and he wrote a book a while back about his years in The Band. He did a few movies with Tommy Lee Jones, but had also been in "The Right Stuff" and "Feeling Minnesota" (he was the bible salesman).

Always happens in 3's.

Levon,Dick Clark,Jonathan Frid (who?)

Frid played Barnabas Collins,the vampire in the t.v. show Dark Shadows.

Tim Burton's making a movie based on the series and Johnny Depp is playing Barnabas.

Frid died on Friday 13th.