Interesting paragraph about the new Axl response...

Strange Broue

I still don't exactly know or understand what the Hall is or how or why it makes money, where the money goes, who chooses the voters and why anyone or this board decides who, out of all the artists in the world that have contributed to this genre, officially "rock" enough to be in the Hall?

Regardless of the induction, these are interesting questions...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

It's not that huge a revelation and a quick google on Axls part would've answered that question, not really mystery of the century.

I don't get why Klinghoffer was inducted with RHCP, yet the newest members of GN'R to get inducted joined in 1990.

It is really inconsistent, and it does add some credence to the argument that the HOF wanted to earn money from staging a reunion of the AFD lineup, something that would be more difficult if more recent band members were inducted, too.

I don't get why Klinghoffer was inducted with RHCP, yet the newest members of GN'R to get inducted joined in 1990.

theRe arE over a thoUsand possible reasoNs people talk about In these bOards, but iN the end we all know why. ;)

theRe arE over a thoUsand possible reasoNs people talk

about In these bOards, but iN the end we all know why. ;)

Or it could be about a Reunion... (Ssshhhh. ! )

It is really inconsistent, and it does add some credence to the argument that the HOF wanted to earn money from staging a reunion of the AFD lineup, something that would be more difficult if more recent band members were inducted, too.

The difference being inducting just one extra member, instead of 15.

So they are okay with inducting current members when these have not been part of creating the legacy that is honoured unless the number of such members exceeds a certain limit? In other words, they have decided to forgo the principle of inducting only people responsible for the legacy, but have fallen down on some arbitrarily cut-off value as to exactly how many such "hangers-on" they will induct?

If I were wicked I'd say that the HOF is open to induct extra people because it means more revenues for the HOF, unless more inductees could hinder their sinister plan of staging a reunion which would be even more valuable to the HOF ;).

So they are okay with inducting current members when these have not been part of creating the legacy that is honoured unless the number of such members exceeds a certain limit? In other words, they have decided to forgo the principle of inducting only people responsible for the legacy, but have fallen down on some arbitrarily cut-off value as to exactly how many such "hangers-on" they will induct?

If I were wicked I'd say that the HOF is open to induct extra people because it means more revenues for the HOF, unless more inductees could hinder their sinister plan of staging a reunion which would be even more valuable to the HOF ;).

How about, he made a cd with three of the original band members, he's touring with them and he's had input.

Now lets talk about Chinese Democracy, principal songwriters Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Mantia & Tobias all gone. How are you going to induct them? And now you have band members who have only added some subtle personal changes to the main songs, and are touring as employees essentially as a cover band for the last bunch of years. How would you have liked to see this go down? Have the current band and old band inducted but Buckethead etc. ignored? Or just have the whole circus show up and be inducted, and show what a joke current GNR has become since it's original formation? Axl was right about that though, damned if he does, damned if he don't.

Edited by The Black

How about, he made a cd with three of the original band members, he's touring with them and he's had input.

Now lets talk about Chinese Democracy, principal songwriters Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Mantia & Tobias all gone. How are you going to induct them? And now you have band members who have only added some subtle personal changes to the main songs, and are touring as employees essentially as a cover band for the last bunch of years. How would you have liked to see this go down? Have the current band and old band inducted but Buckethead etc. ignored? Or just have the whole circus show up and be inducted, and show what a joke current GNR has become since it's original formation?

why is it a joke? Too many members? Why would it be a circus? Too many talented musicians in a single stage? I don't get it... I loved the HoF performance but I think they were unfair to some musicians, especially Gilby.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

Now lets talk about Chinese Democracy, principal songwriters Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Mantia & Tobias all gone. How are you going to induct them? And now you have band members who have only added some subtle personal changes to the main songs, and are touring as employees essentially as a cover band for the last bunch of years. How would you have liked to see this go down? Have the current band and old band inducted but Buckethead etc. ignored? Or just have the whole circus show up and be inducted, and show what a joke current GNR has become since it's original formation?

why is it a joke? Too many members? Why would it be a circus? Too many talented musicians in a single stage? I don't get it...

Can we drop this argument? It's already over, they didn't get inducted. I highly doubt guys like tommy stinson wanted to be inducted for their work in GNR anyway.

why is it a joke? Too many members? Why would it be a circus? Too many talented musicians in a single stage? I don't get it...

It's a joke because it's simply sad what Guns N' Roses has become. An endless touring band with no output of new songs. How can you justify inducting the current band? I won't deny they put on a good show, but I haven't heard a single solo song from any of the current members that is up to par with anything on the pre-Chinese Democracy albums (in MY opinion).

It's a joke because it's simply sad what Guns N' Roses has become. An endless touring band with no output of new songs. How can you justify inducting the current band? I won't deny they put on a good show, but I haven't heard a single solo song from any of the current members that is up to par with anything on the pre-Chinese Democracy albums (in MY opinion).

I am certain the HOF committee is more enlightened than you and is aware that Guns N' Roses released a record in 2008. That being said, I do not think "new" members should be inducted when the whole point is to honour past accomplishments, and therefore I am personally completely fine with who were actually inducted from GN'R. But since HOF obviously doesn't see eye to eye with me on this principle (they are, after all, inducting Klinghoffer) it is fair to question their motives for not doing the same with GN'R. And that is why I raised the question about the weirdness of inducting people who are not responsible for the legacy if, and only if, they are not too many when the HOF earns money from each inductee they get.

I am certain the HOF committee is more enlightened than you and is aware that Guns N' Roses released a record in 2008. That being said, I do not think "new" members should be inducted when the whole point is to honour past accomplishments, and therefore I am personally completely fine with who were actually inducted from GN'R. But since HOF obviously doesn't see eye to eye with me on this principle (they are, after all, inducting Klinghoffer) it is fair to question their motives for not doing the same with GN'R. And that is why I raised the question about the weirdness of inducting people who are not responsible for the legacy if, and only if, they are not too many when the HOF earns money from each inductee they get.

The argument about Trujillo and Klinghoffer's inductions, as well as people who should be in for non-musical reasons (Leonard Cohen as songwriter, not performer) should be argued and challenged, as well as decisions to limit how many people inducted, and Wenner trying to lower the requirement to 20 years, just because it would've meant Nirvana and Pearl Jam would've been in sooner, which raises the chances of KISS, Deep Purple, and Rush being included.

Either call it what it is, the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame, or level the playing field and keep the rules consistent, and it sounds like the committee members do a quick look through the list and are done with it in 3 hours. It's just a couple of RS critics that go "I don't want KISS in", not the whole committee giving a mutual F- you to Simmons. Complete roll of the dice for the most part, but I don't think there's as much record company influence as speculated. Some, but with hundreds of names to pick from, about 20 or so people deciding on it, have to narrow it down and look at a variety of things, not just because a band sold millions of records. But it's the whole "influential" thing that comes up, and if a band's songs are covered, or someone picked up an instrument because of them, that is influence.

KISS' music is really what keeps KISS out of the running. It's all about the live show with them. And you have bands like Roxy Music that I consider very influential just with Eno in the band, or Todd Rundgren who could be in just as a producer, some people just get overlooked. A lot of your 70s era arena rock bands like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and Styx, why not? Makes no sense. James Gang, Devo... Ohio natives, but not inducted. There's hundreds of eligible artists from the 60s and 70s still not in, let alone the 80s. Still more punk bands to be inducted, and very very few postpunk bands. NY Dolls, not influential? Still not inducted. The Smiths? Well... that's prob. next year, because they'll try to induct another band that refuses to reunite. Morrissey's as firm as Axl about that, but would prob. show up...if they're serving vegetarian. I'm not kidding, he's snub it just for that reason, or because the Rock Hall sells hot dogs.

MC5- still not in. Nazareth - not in. Dead Boys. Not in.

Klnghoffer is RHCP's Gilby, yet Gilby didn't get inducted.

Not that I care though.

The argument about Trujillo and Klinghoffer's inductions, as well as people who should be in for non-musical reasons (Leonard Cohen as songwriter, not performer) should be argued and challenged, as well as decisions to limit how many people inducted, and Wenner trying to lower the requirement to 20 years, just because it would've meant Nirvana and Pearl Jam would've been in sooner, which raises the chances of KISS, Deep Purple, and Rush being included.

Either call it what it is, the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame, or level the playing field and keep the rules consistent, and it sounds like the committee members do a quick look through the list and are done with it in 3 hours. It's just a couple of RS critics that go "I don't want KISS in", not the whole committee giving a mutual F- you to Simmons. Complete roll of the dice for the most part, but I don't think there's as much record company influence as speculated. Some, but with hundreds of names to pick from, about 20 or so people deciding on it, have to narrow it down and look at a variety of things, not just because a band sold millions of records. But it's the whole "influential" thing that comes up, and if a band's songs are covered, or someone picked up an instrument because of them, that is influence.

KISS' music is really what keeps KISS out of the running. It's all about the live show with them. And you have bands like Roxy Music that I consider very influential just with Eno in the band, or Todd Rundgren who could be in just as a producer, some people just get overlooked. A lot of your 70s era arena rock bands like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and Styx, why not? Makes no sense. James Gang, Devo... Ohio natives, but not inducted. There's hundreds of eligible artists from the 60s and 70s still not in, let alone the 80s. Still more punk bands to be inducted, and very very few postpunk bands. NY Dolls, not influential? Still not inducted. The Smiths? Well... that's prob. next year, because they'll try to induct another band that refuses to reunite. Morrissey's as firm as Axl about that, but would prob. show up...if they're serving vegetarian. I'm not kidding, he's snub it just for that reason, or because the Rock Hall sells hot dogs.

MC5- still not in. Nazareth - not in. Dead Boys. Not in.

Thank you dalsh,

You covered that issue well :thumbsup:

Once again this is not a conspiracy against Axl and NuGNR. Klinghoffer got in because the RHCP negotiated with the Hall to get him in. Same with Turiljlo, or whatever from Metalica.

I cant see Slash, Duff, and Steven agreeing to let DJAshba in. Im sure Axl wanted him in, but AIDS prolly didnt, and Axl is just a part of the OG lineup that was getting inducted, and clearly majority ruled.

This IMO is the problem with Axl (granted speculation). He goes into these negotiations (RNRHOF or Universal), with a very strong stance and doesnt budge. The problem is, wheras in the 80s n 90s , he could pull it off, because he was a HUGE rock star. Now , well he is still a great performer, but, he just doesnt have the pull in the indusrty, he once had because of burnt bridges, failed promises, and lots of time and money wasted. He just doesnt have the star power he once had and is not ready to accept that and go lower budget or compromise with the record label or the Hall or whoever he is doing business with.

(Fake scenerio)

Axl: I will play at the induction if NuGNR will be inducted also and we cann close the show with the new band.

Hall: The other members being inducted from OG GNR dont feel that the new band has contributed enough and neither do we.

Axl: Well fuck you guys, Im not coming, and you can kiss my ass.

This type of quality in a person makes for very difficult business, as we have seen throughout the years. Wheras, when he was young and "not taking any shit", it was cool and rok n roll. Now, IMO, it just is pissin off fans, stalling any possible new material, and making it very hard to conduct bussiness , day in and out, like most other active bands.

Edited by The Wicked Hand

theRe arE over a thoUsand possible reasoNs people talk about In these bOards, but iN the end we all know why. ;)

haha, this was a good one :xmasssanta:

Okay, so this is what I think: I have read that they charge $3000 per guest at the ceremony, all this money is derived to a non-profit organization (but, really, who knows?). I think behind this induction were THOUSANDS of people that would make a big fat paycheck with a reunion. They see the impact of the original guys getting together as one of the biggest reunions ever. Can you imagine the numbers? Just like the Sex Pistols said "you're anonymous judges but you're still music industry people". So there you have it, one of the reasons of Axl not showing up was that. He felt he wasn't being really honored but dragged to a "ceremony" that only wanted one thing: REUNION; something he has stated will never happen. :shrugs:

Edited by pi2loc

Why don't they just put every band in that was ever popular? You have to draw the line somewhere. There are some I disagree with, but that's the case with every single person.

If Axl had said in his letter, "I think the HOF is pretty cool and I can't wait for Saturday", how many of these people whining on and on about how "corrupt" it is would have done so? The answer: none. The lesson, as always: think for yourselves.

Why don't they just put every band in that was ever popular? You have to draw the line somewhere. There are some I disagree with, but that's the case with every single person.

If Axl had said in his letter, "I think the HOF is pretty cool and I can't wait for Saturday", how many of these people whining on and on about how "corrupt" it is would have done so? The answer: none. The lesson, as always: think for yourselves.

Coming from someone that is following the herd mentality of crucifying Axl for not going, that really doesn't mean much. Nothing at all actually.