Interesting paragraph about the new Axl response...

Strange Broue

Why don't they just put every band in that was ever popular? You have to draw the line somewhere. There are some I disagree with, but that's the case with every single person.

If Axl had said in his letter, "I think the HOF is pretty cool and I can't wait for Saturday", how many of these people whining on and on about how "corrupt" it is would have done so? The answer: none. The lesson, as always: think for yourselves.

It's a bit arrogant to assume all people aren't "thinking on their own", I am glad someone stood up to the HOF- have a very dim view of mandantory ceremonies.

Why don't they just put every band in that was ever popular? You have to draw the line somewhere. There are some I disagree with, but that's the case with every single person.

If Axl had said in his letter, "I think the HOF is pretty cool and I can't wait for Saturday", how many of these people whining on and on about how "corrupt" it is would have done so? The answer: none. The lesson, as always: think for yourselves.

Coming from someone that is following the herd mentality of crucifying Axl for not going, that really doesn't mean much. Nothing at all actually.

Agree,completely irrelevant. I'm glad Guns N' Roses didn't show up for this occasion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why Klinghoffer was inducted with RHCP, yet the newest members of GN'R to get inducted joined in 1990.

It is really inconsistent, and it does add some credence to the argument that the HOF wanted to earn money from staging a reunion of the AFD lineup, something that would be more difficult if more recent band members were inducted, too.

The difference being inducting just one extra member, instead of 15.

So they are okay with inducting current members when these have not been part of creating the legacy that is honoured unless the number of such members exceeds a certain limit? In other words, they have decided to forgo the principle of inducting only people responsible for the legacy, but have fallen down on some arbitrarily cut-off value as to exactly how many such "hangers-on" they will induct?

If I were wicked I'd say that the HOF is open to induct extra people because it means more revenues for the HOF, unless more inductees could hinder their sinister plan of staging a reunion which would be even more valuable to the HOF ;).

How about, he made a cd with three of the original band members, he's touring with them and he's had input.

Now lets talk about Chinese Democracy, principal songwriters Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Mantia & Tobias all gone. How are you going to induct them? And now you have band members who have only added some subtle personal changes to the main songs, and are touring as employees essentially as a cover band for the last bunch of years. How would you have liked to see this go down? Have the current band and old band inducted but Buckethead etc. ignored? Or just have the whole circus show up and be inducted, and show what a joke current GNR has become since it's original formation?

why is it a joke? Too many members? Why would it be a circus? Too many talented musicians in a single stage? I don't get it...

It's a joke because it's simply sad what Guns N' Roses has become. An endless touring band with no output of new songs. How can you justify inducting the current band? I won't deny they put on a good show, but I haven't heard a single solo song from any of the current members that is up to par with anything on the pre-Chinese Democracy albums (in MY opinion).

I am certain the HOF committee is more enlightened than you and is aware that Guns N' Roses released a record in 2008. That being said, I do not think "new" members should be inducted when the whole point is to honour past accomplishments, and therefore I am personally completely fine with who were actually inducted from GN'R. But since HOF obviously doesn't see eye to eye with me on this principle (they are, after all, inducting Klinghoffer) it is fair to question their motives for not doing the same with GN'R. And that is why I raised the question about the weirdness of inducting people who are not responsible for the legacy if, and only if, they are not too many when the HOF earns money from each inductee they get.

The argument about Trujillo and Klinghoffer's inductions, as well as people who should be in for non-musical reasons (Leonard Cohen as songwriter, not performer) should be argued and challenged, as well as decisions to limit how many people inducted, and Wenner trying to lower the requirement to 20 years, just because it would've meant Nirvana and Pearl Jam would've been in sooner, which raises the chances of KISS, Deep Purple, and Rush being included.

Either call it what it is, the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame, or level the playing field and keep the rules consistent, and it sounds like the committee members do a quick look through the list and are done with it in 3 hours. It's just a couple of RS critics that go "I don't want KISS in", not the whole committee giving a mutual F- you to Simmons. Complete roll of the dice for the most part, but I don't think there's as much record company influence as speculated. Some, but with hundreds of names to pick from, about 20 or so people deciding on it, have to narrow it down and look at a variety of things, not just because a band sold millions of records. But it's the whole "influential" thing that comes up, and if a band's songs are covered, or someone picked up an instrument because of them, that is influence.

KISS' music is really what keeps KISS out of the running. It's all about the live show with them. And you have bands like Roxy Music that I consider very influential just with Eno in the band, or Todd Rundgren who could be in just as a producer, some people just get overlooked. A lot of your 70s era arena rock bands like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and Styx, why not? Makes no sense. James Gang, Devo... Ohio natives, but not inducted. There's hundreds of eligible artists from the 60s and 70s still not in, let alone the 80s. Still more punk bands to be inducted, and very very few postpunk bands. NY Dolls, not influential? Still not inducted. The Smiths? Well... that's prob. next year, because they'll try to induct another band that refuses to reunite. Morrissey's as firm as Axl about that, but would prob. show up...if they're serving vegetarian. I'm not kidding, he's snub it just for that reason, or because the Rock Hall sells hot dogs.

MC5- still not in. Nazareth - not in. Dead Boys. Not in.

Thank you dalsh,

You covered that issue well :thumbsup:

Agreed, great points.

Ali

One could only post it in it's entirety. Prepare for a big fat lawsuit.

:lol:

He failed to read:

Unlike my open letter to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern this was written for GNR's official website, Facebook account and my personal twitter account and not intended as a press release. If anyone does choose to pick this up as has been done previously I'd appreciate if you'd run in full including this paragraph so as not to give a partial picture, have things taken out of context or to imply or inadvertently give the impression this was intended for other outlets.

I'd better prepare for a big fat lawsuit too :lol:

Edited by vaida

Coming from someone that is following the herd mentality of crucifying Axl for not going, that really doesn't mean much. Nothing at all actually.

I gave this issue a lot of thought, before formulating my opinion.

I don't get why Klinghoffer was inducted with RHCP, yet the newest members of GN'R to get inducted joined in 1990.

It is really inconsistent, and it does add some credence to the argument that the HOF wanted to earn money from staging a reunion of the AFD lineup, something that would be more difficult if more recent band members were inducted, too.

Klnghoffer is RHCP's Gilby, yet Gilby didn't get inducted.

Not that I care though.

Your signature is the worst trolling attempt on this planet

Okay, so this is what I think: I have read that they charge $3000 per guest at the ceremony, all this money is derived to a non-profit organization (but, really, who knows?). I think behind this induction were THOUSANDS of people that would make a big fat paycheck with a reunion. They see the impact of the original guys getting together as one of the biggest reunions ever. Can you imagine the numbers? Just like the Sex Pistols said "you're anonymous judges but you're still music industry people". So there you have it, one of the reasons of Axl not showing up was that. He felt he wasn't being really honored but dragged to a "ceremony" that only wanted one thing: REUNION; something he has stated will never happen. :shrugs:

Thank you, you're the only one who answered what i'm curious about.

Klnghoffer is RHCP's Gilby, yet Gilby didn't get inducted.

Not that I care though.

Your signature is the worst trolling attempt on this planet

Okay, so this is what I think: I have read that they charge $3000 per guest at the ceremony, all this money is derived to a non-profit organization (but, really, who knows?). I think behind this induction were THOUSANDS of people that would make a big fat paycheck with a reunion. They see the impact of the original guys getting together as one of the biggest reunions ever. Can you imagine the numbers? Just like the Sex Pistols said "you're anonymous judges but you're still music industry people". So there you have it, one of the reasons of Axl not showing up was that. He felt he wasn't being really honored but dragged to a "ceremony" that only wanted one thing: REUNION; something he has stated will never happen. :shrugs:

Thank you, you're the only one who answered what i'm curious about.

It wasn't about a paycheck (to most people), it was to see if for one night, they could get together. But then assuming they did that? I do think people are realistic enough to not have expected it to go past that one night.

Slash, Duff, and Izzy ALL have made closure with Guns N Roses, and felt with the induction, Adler got his closure.

Most people just wanted to know if the AFD lineup could get together and still blow people away.

I gave this issue a lot of thought, before formulating my opinion.

I knew the hall was a joke when Alice didn't get inducted until 2011 and I actually paid attention to who is and isn't in there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Guns first time induction was an attempt to force a reunion either. I wouldn't have been praising the farce if Axl had decided to show up. That's for sure.

It's a joke because it's simply sad what Guns N' Roses has become.

Its pretty sad to who?

its safe to say GNR was inducted based on HOF set standards,

HOF standards in all likelyhood based on AFD and UYI, the early days.

Axl's saying he has no clue what these "standards" mean to anything he gives a shit about,

but he respects that some people, like you, may actually think it means something.

You gotta hear that in his response, if not go read it again.

And Axl has enough sense not to show up with the new band,

Slash and Duff didnt have enough sense to not show up with a cover singer and do a GNR song.

thats all anyone "supporting" Axl is saying, or I guess I should just speak for myself.

Slash and Duff are just as much a part of the AFD and UYI years as Axl.

Both just as talented in their own right.

And I hope in hindsight Slash and Duff realize how tacky it was to do what they did at the HOF.

maybe not, I dont know.

Axl formed a new band from people you may not think are up to par with Slash and Duff.

But so did they form a band, VR, with people that a lot of us are not real fond of talent wise.

its all good, so stop with the "simply sad what GNR has become" shit.

is what it is

Edited by shades

Hof does seem like a cash making organization, evidenced by arbitrare and inconsistent logic of inducting certain bands and/or members. questions axl posed are very intersting.

Also, I am certain that the only reason the band was inducted was to force a reunion with the original members, no doubt about it. so I'm glad that axl didn't "fall into trap" of going to that horseshit of a ceremony. To those saying ppl would not be opposed if axl went or whatever - complete bullshit. For some of us hof has been meaningless bs even before GNR's induction. so no, Axls decision didnot affect my judgement at all.

ps: respect to Izzy for not giving a fuck as well. gilby on the other hand...

I hope in hindsight Slash and Duff realize how tacky it was to do what they did at the HOF.

In hindsight I'd suspect that Slash and Duff will stand tall behind their decisions to not let Axl Rose shit all over a night that was of great importance to them,if not for themselves,but for the fans who took the music of the original line up to heart.

Not letting the fans down who were hoping to see them there was tacky?People who had gone to great expense and travelled long distances to be there?

Axl formed a new band.

Indeed.

Read one of their setlists lately?

And Duff and Slash playing a few tunes at the HOF inductions for the fans in attendance was tacky?

..double standard much?

I hope in hindsight Slash and Duff realize how tacky it was to do what they did at the HOF.

In hindsight I'd suspect that Slash and Duff will stand tall behind their decisions to not let Axl Rose shit all over a night that was of great importance to them,if not for themselves,but for the fans who took the music of the original line up to heart.

Not letting the fans down who were hoping to see them there was tacky?People who had gone to great expense and travelled long distances to be there?

Axl formed a new band.

Indeed.

Read one of their setlists lately?

And Duff and Slash playing a few tunes at the HOF inductions for the fans in attendance was tacky?

..double standard much?

I'm glad to we have moderators like this on this forum :thumbsup:

Cheers man. Great post

(and no, i'm not licking your ass)

I think Axl, just like a whole lot of other people, realized what the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is all about: money. And what's going to generate a shit load of money: a GN'R reunion. It's not about the fans, the RRHOF just wanted the interest of a GN'R reunion. The RRHOF wants to decrease the years for a person to be inducted from 25 to 20, so they can induct more famous artists. Watch, in ten years we'll see Jay-Z, Beyonce, Green Day, and Coldplay, all inducted. Bands bands like KISS, Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Deep Purple and other deserving rock bands will be shunned. It took Alice Cooper about 40 years to get inducted into the RRHOF, the guy who invented shock rock. It's pathetic.

I'm not again the RRHOF inducting pop and rap artists into the RRHOF, what I am against in the fact that the RRHOF's main interest is money. I'm happy Axl and Izzy didn't show up at the RRHOF.

Axl's not going to reunite to generate money or interest for a organization. He's not going to play with or talk to Slash because he has made his feelings loud and clear for many years now that he has no intention to play with Slash ever again, hence the "not in this lifetime."

Edited by GNR123GNR456

How would the hall have made more money if Axl showed up?

So I'm confused. The Hall only wanted GnR to show up to boost their income....so people are implying GnR wasn't selected on merit of their albums?

They could promote the RRHOF ceremony as "The first time the original band will be on stage together in 16 years!"

Axl not being there not only ruined their chances to boost interest, but made them have to change the headliners to the RCHP because there was going to be no reunion. The whole RRHOF was based on getting a reunion of the old line-up. There are many, many bands that have not been inducted for yeasr, but have been eligible. The first year GN'R are eligible, their inducted. Why? For a possible reunion of the old line-up. I'm not saying their not worthy, I'm just saying the whole RRHOF is about money.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

How would the hall have made more money if Axl showed up?

So I'm confused. The Hall only wanted GnR to show up to boost their income....so people are implying GnR wasn't selected on merit of their albums?

It's hilarious how so many of these rock scholars know exactly how the Hall works, and have uncovered the shadowy Dan Brown conspiracy buried underneath the building, based on 5 seconds of worthless speculation, itself based on a ludicrous set of assumptions Axl may or may not have hinted at in his letter.

We really need to get these guys to work on who killed Kennedy and the Caramilk Secret next.

I've always considered the RNR HOF a joke anyways. I mean, c'mon, Madonna? ABBA? Run-DMC? Nothing against the but, Rock N' Roll is the last thing I think of when I hear them

It should just be called the Music HOF

I've always considered the RNR HOF a joke anyways. I mean, c'mon, Madonna? ABBA? Run-DMC? Nothing against the but, Rock N' Roll is the last thing I think of when I hear them

It should just be called the Music HOF

Or The Rolling Stone HOF,It is what it is,and not likely to change.Been twice.

They could just get the order right. like get Priest and Kiss in there before Beasties, Chilis, Guns. but chronological at least. it's just real basic stuff like this. but Simmons prob want 20 mil to be inducted.

They could just get the order right. like get Priest and Kiss in there before Beasties, Chilis, Guns. but chronological at least. it's just real basic stuff like this. but Simmons prob want 20 mil to be inducted.

Definately Priest,Maiden that is a given.Kiss as well,look at how long it took A.C. to get tapped,seems to be no rhyme or reason other than Sensationalism,sounds cynical but it is true.

So they are okay with inducting current members when these have not been part of creating the legacy that is honoured unless the number of such members exceeds a certain limit? In other words, they have decided to forgo the principle of inducting only people responsible for the legacy, but have fallen down on some arbitrarily cut-off value as to exactly how many such "hangers-on" they will induct?

If I were wicked I'd say that the HOF is open to induct extra people because it means more revenues for the HOF, unless more inductees could hinder their sinister plan of staging a reunion which would be even more valuable to the HOF ;).

How about, he made a cd with three of the original band members, he's touring with them and he's had input.

Now lets talk about Chinese Democracy, principal songwriters Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Mantia & Tobias all gone. How are you going to induct them? And now you have band members who have only added some subtle personal changes to the main songs, and are touring as employees essentially as a cover band for the last bunch of years. How would you have liked to see this go down? Have the current band and old band inducted but Buckethead etc. ignored? Or just have the whole circus show up and be inducted, and show what a joke current GNR has become since it's original formation?

why is it a joke? Too many members? Why would it be a circus? Too many talented musicians in a single stage? I don't get it... I loved the HoF performance but I think they were unfair to some musicians, especially Gilby.

Gilby....was the prototype to the new band...he only toured with them as fill in for Izzy. same with Sorum...what the fuck was he up there for?? ohhh he rewrote and redid adlers parts so technically he in fact did "write"