Retro Rock Review: Guns N' Roses, CHINESE DEMOCRACY

vaida

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the fact that he's not mentioning Catcher as one of the greats, it an ok review, don't agree with which songs he think is the best though. After the excitement of finally getting it, this record just sunk to the bottom of my record piles. Wonder if I'll ever play it in it's entirety again. Maybe the vinyl, just for the heck of it in about 5 years.

I play it all the time, giving my other GN'R a spin today.

For an album with no promotion, music videos and a tour supporting immediately after release, I think the album sold ok.

Also I don't think he ever bullied his guitarists into trying to play like Slash. Maybe play better which he achieved.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Oh nice, another review of a childish nobody that loves "vintage classic rock"

you can almost picture Axl in the studio, repeatedly beating his hapless guitarists with a stick, saying, "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like Slash!" <_<

BTW, "six stringer"? Fuck you! People need to understand that guitars can have much more than 6, even though CD was played with 6 strings solely, it's too irritating to see people always latching themselves to the "bascis and classics".

I play it all the time, giving my other GN'R a spin today.

For an album with no promotion, music videos and a tour supporting immediately after release, I think the album sold ok.

Also I don't think he ever bullied his guitarists into trying to play like Slash. Maybe play better which he achieved.

yeah i still listen to it 2 or 3 times a week. it still sold more than the new van halen cd in its first week.

you can almost picture Axl in the studio, repeatedly beating his hapless guitarists with a stick, saying, "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like Slash!" <_<

BTW, "six stringer"? Fuck you! People need to understand that guitars can have much more than 6, even though CD was played with 6 strings solely, it's too irritating to see people always latching themselves to the "bascis and classics".

Bumblefoot and Buckethead are more than just six stringers. Even Robin Finck experimental work was genius. And did they play like Slash? Hell no.

Bumblefoot and Buckethead are more than just six stringers. Even Robin Finck experimental work was genius. And did they play like Slash? Hell no.

God no and it shows....mostly forgetable music that certainly wont be remembered 30 years from now...certainly wont be the played in stadiums, classic radio and covered by any other artists or bands....

(Side note: whether they're being played by Buckethead, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, or any of the multitudes of other six-stringers credited in the booklet, the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy are really the only place where this album truly "sounds" like GN'R, if that makes any sense... you can almost picture Axl in the studio, repeatedly beating his hapless guitarists with a stick, saying, "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like Slash!")

...say whaaaa...?

Seriously, was this guy on crack?

EDIT: On a side note; the dude obviously dislikes post-AFD efforts. It is true though that if you take a listen to CD expecting another WTTJ, prepare to be very disappointed.

Edited by KiraMPD

(Side note: whether they're being played by Buckethead, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, or any of the multitudes of other six-stringers credited in the booklet, the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy are really the only place where this album truly "sounds" like GN'R, if that makes any sense... you can almost picture Axl in the studio, repeatedly beating his hapless guitarists with a stick, saying, "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like Slash!")

...say whaaaa...?

Seriously, was this guy on crack?

something

I totally agree.

Anybody that doesn't praise and 100% worship Axl, CD and the new band surely must be on crack, biased, have a personal vendetta against Axl, stuck in the 80s, etc, etc, etc.

But people that give a good review do so because they are not biased, and their reviews are intelligent and well thought out.

Funny how that works.

No... any guy that thinks "the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy are really the only place where this album truly "sounds" like GN'R," must be on crack. Everything else I'm cool with but you have to admit, that's just plain wrong.

But I guess that's just his "opinion" right? Eh whatever... <_<

Edited by KiraMPD

Howdy folks... I'm the author of the piece linked in the first post... when I noticed a bunch of page views on it coming from this forum today I figured I'd stop in and see what was going on...

I assure you that I'm not on crack, I'm just a random guy with a blog, and that review was written more or less on the fly after a couple of spins of the CD. As you can see, I liked some of it, I didn't like some of it. And no, I don't play guitar, so if some of you found my comments about the guitar playing puzzling or half-assed, I guess I've got no excuse. What I meant was that when the guitar solos come in, that's when the songs finally got that soaring "GN'R" kind of feel, dunno if that makes any sense but that's what I was trying to convey. (The bit about Axl beating them with sticks to sound more like Slash was merely an attempt at humor, which I thought was obvious. Geez...tough room.)

Either way, thanks to everyone who's stopped by to check out my ramble... I enjoyed reading the interesting comments about it here (even the negative ones... I got thick skin, I can take it, haha!!). I've also got lots of other entries about non-GN'R related bands up on that site if anyone is interested...

...and yeah, DID Best Buy ever make their money back on that CD? I still wonder about that...

Peace

Edited by FatFreddysCat

Howdy folks... I'm the author of the piece linked in the first post... when I noticed a bunch of page views on it coming from this forum today I figured I'd stop in and see what's what...

I assure you that I'm not on crack, I'm just another random guy with a blog, and that the review was written more or less on the fly after a couple of spins of the CD. As you can see, I liked some of it, I didn't like some of it, that's the way it goes. And no, I don't play guitar, so if some of you found my comments about the guitar playing puzzling or half-assed, I guess I've got no excuse. What I meant was that when the guitar solos come in, that's when the songs finally got that soaring "GN'R" kind of feel, if that makes any sense. (The bit about Axl beating them with sticks to sound more like Slash was merely an attempt at humor. Geez, tough room.)

Either way, thanks to everyone who's stopped by to check out my ramble... I enjoyed reading the interesting comments about it here (even the negative ones... bring it on, I got thick skin, I can take it, haha!!). I've also got lots of other entries about non-GN'R related bands up on that site if anyone is interested...

...and yeah, DID Best Buy ever make their money back on that CD? I still wonder about that...

Peace

Nice of you to stop by in the mud pit. Not a bad review; to be honest, Chinese Democracy is an album that really grows on repeat listenings. There were a few that stuck with me right away (Shackler's, Scraped, and Better) and one by one the rest caught on and became some of my favorites.

Edited by Flayer

No... any guy that thinks "the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy are really the only place where this album truly "sounds" like GN'R," must be on crack. Everything else I'm cool with but you have to admit, that's just plain wrong.

That is like saying GN'R is just good for guitar solos. Like nothing else matters but the solos.

Nice of you to stop by in the mud pit. Not a bad review; to be honest, Chinese Democracy is one that really grows on repeat listenings. There were a few that stuck with me right away (Shackler's, Scraped, and Better) and one by one the rest caught on and became some of my favorites.

I didn't like Shackler's and Scraped at first but they are now among my favorites. When I first listened I felt the first two tracks were weak but Better is where the album really kicked off for me. So I disagree that Chinese Democracy was the best track.

That is like saying GN'R is just good for guitar solos. Like nothing else matters but the solos.

Nice of you to stop by in the mud pit. Not a bad review; to be honest, Chinese Democracy is one that really grows on repeat listenings. There were a few that stuck with me right away (Shackler's, Scraped, and Better) and one by one the rest caught on and became some of my favorites.

I didn't like Shackler's and Scraped at first but they are now among my favorites. When I first listened I felt the first two tracks were weak but Better is where the album really kicked off for me. So I disagree that Chinese Democracy was the best track.

I meant the album, not the song. Chinese Democracy the song is actually one of the ones I play the least.

OMG and Silkworms should have replaced Scraped and Rhiad.

I think Scraped and Riad are the closest we got to AFD type songs. Short with heavy riffs, screeching vocals, and kick ass solos. The drums were great too.

Sorry Flayer, I was referring to the article.

Song has grown on me, still not my favorite

Edited by BirdCatcher

The common bias of wanting AFD. But he still liked some tracks. As review it's too personal.

Good post.

I don't understand why people expect another AFD, even with Velvet Revolver. In order to recreate AFD they have to live the years of fast living that inspired the album. The only thing that can be done is move on and away from that.