Was the Hall of Fame an Unavoidable Bullet for Current GNR?

Graeme

It's crossed my mind that since the announcement of the Hall of Fame induction the degree of public backlash towards GNR 2012 was probably largely unavoidable regardless of Axl's decision to accept it or not. A lot of people here have been hitting out at Axl saying stuff like "If he just sucked it up, went along, shook some hands and sang a couple of songs then split, never to see them again, it would have been much better and wouldn't have done any damage to current GNR."

I think that's categorically untrue, as you still have people here who believe they can dream their way into a reunion, you still have magazines (NME) talking about it as a possibility... Despite resounding, unequivocal "no's" from Axl for over ten years now, some people still somehow think it might happen... So if Axl had actually shown up and done his thing with the old guys, this band which he believes in as the epoch of his life's work (and you have to understand that that's the way he sees it) would have come under even greater fire than it is now, because a reunion would be tangible...

As it is, Axl didn't show up and we're in a situation which is marginally better at best... But there's been a lot of support and good press and people willing to go along to shows over the last decade that there may not be so much of now... So it seems to me Axl has every right to resent the Hall of Fame induction as an indirect consequence of it was a sabotaging of his vision of the band in the public eye.

It was a no-win, and if you think about it Axl handled it as best as he could for the current line-up. Everyone now knows that he doesn't want anything to do with the original line-up. No one will ever go to a GnR concert asking...but, but...where's Slash? Except maybe Charlie Sheen.

It was a no-win, and if you think about it Axl handled it as best as he could for the current line-up. Everyone now knows that he doesn't want anything to do with the original line-up. No one will ever go to a GnR concert asking...but, but...where's Slash? Except maybe Charlie Sheen.

they should though...until the coverband gets its act together and puts out music equal or better..they should ask...EQUAL OR BETTER.

really... we're all people and we should know what we're doing..."Axl should do this" "Axl should do that"...he's trying to live on his own...or...maybe his statement meant something wrong to current lineup... let's try topics like "Ashba uses Les Paul like Slash...Does it hurts Axl??"

"If he just sucked it up, went along, shook some hands and sang a couple of songs then split, never to see them again, it would have been much better and wouldn't have done any damage to current GNR."

If Axl has to worry so much about the effect that performing three songs with the old band will have on NuGuns then doesn't that say something about most people's opinion of the new band?

Go to bed!

I think it was an unavoidable bullet to be honest...

It was an event to mark a milestone regarding original GN'R, and put the focus yet again on former members, and reunion questions ensured. I also agree, that Axl handed this as well as could have been expected under the overwhelming pressure from media, fans etc... to attend and re-connect with former members.

Glad it's over now, and we can start looking forward to the European tour. ;)

If a few minutes long performance could have ruined the last 15 years of work it means the current band isn't very solid...

And why isn't it very solid ?

Because it has failed to release albums for the last decade to be able to rely on its own material more than on the old band's...

You know deep down that this is the truth. :shrugs:

Edited by The Glow Inc.

The band will go on tour, play great shows and it will be business as usual. It won't affect them.

I know that, aye. I was meaning more in terms of public acceptance/perception, particularly on fora such as these, facebook, twitter etc.

If a few minutes long performance could have ruined the last 15 years of work it means the current band isn't very solid...

And why isn't it very solid ?

Because it has failed to release albums for the last decade to be able to rely on its own material more than on the old band's...

You know deep down that this is the truth. :shrugs:

Yup, that about sums it up.

The most disappointing thing about the new band is the wasted potential, there is a great group of guys together and they aren't being put to use.

I think it was an unavoidable bullet to be honest...

It was an event to mark a milestone regarding original GN'R, and put the focus yet again on former members, and reunion questions ensured. I also agree, that Axl handed this as well as could have been expected under the overwhelming pressure from media, fans etc... to attend and re-connect with former members.

Glad it's over now, and we can start looking forward to the European tour. ;)

That's awesome! Have you been able to be at first row in any of those concerts?