Marc Canter interview

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

You are wrong just like your friend axlsalinger. Marc already said that Slash is a liar and that Axl is not.

Marc also said that the Illusions lineup got together in 96 and when it fell apart, Slash took songs to be on the Snakepit Album which was recorded in 1994. So, whatever. Axl lies too.

No the songs Slash took were for the first Snakepit record in 1995. Even though they started to work together in 1996, nothing really became from that as far as I know.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Marc,

Do you think if Slash was to publicly apologize now, would Axl make a similar offer (in terms of playing on unreleased material)? Or has too much time passed for that to happen?

Nothing will ever happen with out someone to talk it out with both parities. Someone that does this for a living and that both Axl and Slash could trust. That would be the first step. After them both hearing what the other ones beefs are, and both of them understanding what really went wrong in each of their heads, then i'm sure there would be some of apologizing going on, but also they would maybe see each others side and understand that at that time they needed a break and nothing could have stopped that split. As long as they both understand that, only then they can move on and at least be willing to talk about anything ever happening in the future with the old line up or something with all 3 line ups.

I keep seeing people taking my quotes and using them to say see this one was the one who was wrong or that one. One more time no one was wrong. They just had different ideas on how things should be done, who should be in the band and what songs to record. Plus a bunch of other things that they could not agree on. When that happens in a marriage is the reason people split or at least take a break. In this case neither side was going to fold and I don't blame them, it's not what they wanted. Slash left because that was the only option he could see at the time. I'm sure if Slash were in control of the band at that time Axl would have quit. They needed a break and thats it. It does not matter who was in control. if they both had equal rights to the name of the band, no one would be using it because they never worked out their differences.

What would happen if you, Steven, Matt and Duff got together and confronted Slash about the whole thing and explain to him the same way you do to us? Would he just get pissed and flip out at you guys, or is he pretty chill about the subject? Does he even care to make up at this point or just unsure how to approach the situation?

You are wrong just like your friend axlsalinger. Marc already said that Slash is a liar and that Axl is not.

Marc also said that the Illusions lineup got together in 96 and when it fell apart, Slash took songs to be on the Snakepit Album which was recorded in 1994. So, whatever. Axl lies too.

No the songs Slash took were for the first Snakepit record in 1995. Even though they started to work together in 1996, nothing really became from that as far as I know.

This is the part of the interview that addresses that. It's where I got confused. There was to be a second Snakepit record? I always thought it was just a one-off:

"In fact, a lot of people aren’t aware of this but for about two weeks in 1996 the guys got back together in the Illusions lineup and I remember telling Axl, “Don’t fuck it up. Just go in a room like the Traveling Wilburys and sit on crates, no girlfriends, no managers just your guitars and a tape recorder and grab whatever magic occurs as a result of you all being together and playing, just make music for each other and with each other not for the world and its magnifying glass. Make believe that someone is offering you 100 million dollars to write 12 songs. These are songs that will never have to be heard but they have to be complete and you won’t get paid unless you can prove that you actually hammered out these ideas, these songs.” Of course that was all for not because two weeks later that reunion fell apart but from what I understand Izzy had a tape of like 50 songs that he was gonna bring to these sessions that never happened. I don’t know if Axl heard Izzy’s stuff and thought it to be a little primitive or something but I know that Slash had a good dozen or so as well and Axl was into at least three of them and maybe four but then Slash got big headed and just took them all and said “Fine, I’m gonna go do Snake Pit with them”.

Edited by Chris 55

This is a great interview. I've always thought it was a two-sided road, but the problem for me has always been the fact that starting from 1996 on, Slash was always the one who went out of his way to say shit about Axl... and Axl never did that... it was only after a decade of abuse that Axl gave an interview and said what the meaner stuff... character-wise I'm more inclined to believe Axl in these situations... but then again if no one steps up, they will both die before they ever make up... and I can respect that... at least they're not steven, who says one thing and 10 minutes later he's jumped the fence... in the light of this Civil War sound like a totally different song... 'what we've got here is failure to communicate'... wise words

This is a great interview. I've always thought it was a two-sided road, but the problem for me has always been the fact that starting from 1996 on, Slash was always the one who went out of his way to say shit about Axl... and Axl never did that... it was only after a decade of abuse that Axl gave an interview and said what the meaner stuff... character-wise I'm more inclined to believe Axl in these situations... but then again if no one steps up, they will both die before they ever make up... and I can respect that... at least they're not steven, who says one thing and 10 minutes later he's jumped the fence... in the light of this Civil War sound like a totally different song... 'what we've got here is failure to communicate'... wise words

The irony, amirite?

Hey Marc,

Do you think if Slash was to publicly apologize now, would Axl make a similar offer (in terms of playing on unreleased material)? Or has too much time passed for that to happen?

Nothing will ever happen with out someone to talk it out with both parities. Someone that does this for a living and that both Axl and Slash could trust. That would be the first step. After them both hearing what the other ones beefs are, and both of them understanding what really went wrong in each of their heads, then i'm sure there would be some of apologizing going on, but also they would maybe see each others side and understand that at that time they needed a break and nothing could have stopped that split. As long as they both understand that, only then they can move on and at least be willing to talk about anything ever happening in the future with the old line up or something with all 3 line ups.

I keep seeing people taking my quotes and using them to say see this one was the one who was wrong or that one. One more time no one was wrong. They just had different ideas on how things should be done, who should be in the band and what songs to record. Plus a bunch of other things that they could not agree on. When that happens in a marriage is the reason people split or at least take a break. In this case neither side was going to fold and I don't blame them, it's not what they wanted. Slash left because that was the only option he could see at the time. I'm sure if Slash were in control of the band at that time Axl would have quit. They needed a break and thats it. It does not matter who was in control. if they both had equal rights to the name of the band, no one would be using it because they never worked out their differences.

Not just trust, but have respect for.

Elton John?

For me looking in the from outside it's not the split it's how each one dealt with it. Axl n Izzy basically say nothing. Duff is diplomatic. But Steven n Slash have been vocal about putting the blame on Axl even though Duff n Izzy have said otherwise.

Even if Axl bends the knee to Slash, Izzy will still not want to do huge rock albums and stadium tours.

Bit off topic, but I just bought your book on ebay, Marc. I flipped through it at a Barnes and Noble a little while ago and finally remembered to pick it up. Asked for it to be signed on the cover. I look forward to seeing it again.

It's in the mail you will have it Mon or Tue

Hey Marc, did Axl and Slash ever really like each other?

I kind of see this whole thing as more of a case of a relationship that is just too annoying and impossible to work for Axl. I think although Slash's past actions like lying and abandoning Axl are significant, I think it might be more of a case of two people that just aren't meant for each other. Kind of like how you can love family and get along with them sometimes, but if you spend more than a little time with them, or have to deal with serious issues, you never want to talk to them again because they drive you crazy.

Maybe Axl also out grew the relationship. I know I have great friends that I didn't have contact for years because I just out grew them and couldn't relate to them anymore, and to bring them up to speed would be too much of a burden, so I just leave it alone and go on with my life.

Sometimes with relationships, you try to do the right thing, but keep getting burned. And eventually you realize it's completely unhealthy to continue with it, and that it's better to cut off all contact.

I think it would he beneficial to get Axl, Slash, and a professional in the same room to talk it out, and I think that would be possible, but the problem is that people are who they are, and eventually slip back in their old ways. Axl isn't stupid and probably doesn't trust that Slash wouldn't go back to doing all the things pissed him off in the first place.

Axl is deep, brilliant individual. I don't think the rest of the guys in the old band were ever capable of really understanding him, and this is where a lot of the problems

come from.

But Slash lies a lot, and because of that, there's no way Axl could be around him and feel trusting.

hey Marc/reckless road,I'm getting the book at Haight st later today.

interview and these posts are really interesting.

question:do you know which songs Slash was supposed to play on?

I don't know but one of them was bluesy and one of the was ballad. No idea was the 3rd one was or the maybe 4th one.

I don't know but one of them was bluesy and one of the was ballad. No idea was the 3rd one was or the maybe 4th one.

Wait a minute, that was the ones from 1994/95 Snakepit songs. I'm not sure if Axl still wanted them in 2001 or if Axl had 3 other songs in the works.

Hey Marc,

Not just trust, but have respect for.

Elton John?

Brian May?

Axl got too much power, cause the other guys were strung out and also let him take the control.

Steven got sacked cause he's a kid who cannot handle the greatness that became GNR.

Axl was forced to tour in 91 even though he wasn't mentally stable at that time, cause of the threat from the manager that Slash may die from drugs

Izzy left instead of taking up the fight

Tour was over in 93 and obviously they wanted to plan their next musical move

Slash came in with songs and Axl liked some and Slash then said: "Play it my way of fuck off"

Slash went out on his own thing and started bad mouthing Axl in the press

Slash then came back and did a half ass attempt to join GNR again but then quit

He kept bad mouthing Axl in the press and did everything he could for himself to look "cool"

In hindsight, I think Slash got angry with himself for letting Axl take over and then it was too late.

Wait a minute, that was the ones from 1994/95 Snakepit songs. I'm not sure if Axl still wanted them in 2001 or if Axl had 3 other songs in the works.

I think I remember Axl liked Fall To Pieces so maybe some of those tracks

I've ask this before and I never have an answer, I'll ask again.

What has Slash ever said that is so terrible towards Axl?

Please someone answer, give the quotes. I want to read all those terrible things. Go ahead.

I've read and seen videos of many things that he said about Axl, such as:

- How he took over the band and became this ego maniac

- How he's crazy and how it became impossible to work with him

And loads more mate. He's a very public person and he vented out a lot of steam in public.

I think Slash is a nice guy and all, but he's good at making it look like Axl is to blame for all, when it starting to look more and more like he is not that easy himself.