The next tour

Guns n' Swedes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say they've added a small handful of songs since 2001, but they've actually added around 25 songs since then. Were you not aware of that, or were you purposely obscuring the facts?

I guess I just see it differently. adding 20 year old (or older) songs (back) to the setlist IMO isn't "adding" songs. GNR has been a relatively unproductive band, and even when to do "add" "new" songs, it still feels like they're just playing the same stuff over and over and over and over. On the other hand, you can go to several sequential bob dylan shows and rarely hear the same song twice. same thing for radiohead. :shrugs:

EDIT: you know, i can watch shows from almost any era of GNR, and aside from having different players, they all feel like the same show.... although, we've had a small handful of songs added since 2001.

Edited by nonlinear

I don't know.

Every single time their about to go on tour again, whether it be Rock N' Rio 2011 or the UCAP tour, I always think there is a chance we could see new songs, or atleast songs like Oh My God make it back to the set-list. After 2 times of having my hopes ruined, I don't know what to think anymore. I just won't get my hopes up for any new music until I hear it.

As far as how the tour goes, I hope we hear new music, or at least they mix up the set-list a little bit. I do though find it strange how their doing another European tour again, sure their not playing the same places, but their still doing another tour in the same area's. That's the only thing that gives me some hope of any new music happening.

there will be new songs for sure

That would be awesome

I doubt it will happen though

It will be an amazing tour even if they dont play any new songs. Im sure the setlist will have some different stuff on it. Civil War,Estranged are great additions. It would be nice to have IRS back, add TWAT and Im good to go :thumbsup:

They've been on the same tour since 2001, why would anything change? I'm sorry, but adding a small handful of songs (most of which are covers or 20 years old) to the set list over 11 years is fucking ridiculous. I've seen this band 7 or 8 times since '06, and I don't think I'd pay to go again. anyone who gets excited about these silly tours has clearly never seen shows by bob dylan, radiohead, nin, etc.

this "band" is just a silly juke box cover band, playing the same 15 songs night after night after night after night. :thumbsdown:

Getting bored over setlists is soooo three tours ago.

I think they will definately play OMG, and most likely some of the CD songs they haven't played lately (catcher, scraped, prostitute, maybe riad). I think that theres a good chance one or two new songs will be played since they seem to be hinting at a fall release. As for styles, I doubt much will change, but I hope axl looses the hats and thick leather jackets.

i know its disappointment there hasnt been any new material played, but its hard to complain about the setlist. Every major hit, 3 hours, jems like civil war and estranged added, good amount of chidem.

compare it to a band like AC/DC who played the same set for 3 years. Not bashing that either though, AC/DC and bands like that put on great shows. Just saying...

news just in, axl rose isn't your own personal jukebox

Yes he is. I'm one of the crowd paying him to perform for me. I'm certain nobody is paying to see him walk a dog on stage for a couple of hours.

Also the whole "he doesn't owe you anything" argument is so bullshit, I can't even fathom why one woud think that way, unless you're of course an easily brainwashed asskisser. Music comes with emotions, that can go on during your whole life. It's not like a laptop that breaks and you're with or without guarentee.

Guest gunns5

He'd have to adjust the setlist but I still think he can do it, drop the acdc songs and slot oh my god in after the solo spots= easy

But they toured Europe in 2006 and 2010 and both times they had new songs to support them.

The US last year was really the first time they came there to play many of the CD songs.

What I'm thinking is that they have one or two new songs that will be played at some point during this tour.

I do think Guns wanna impress Europe and they also seem to be in good spiritis lately and that could lead to something like that!

But they toured Europe in 2006 and 2010 and both times they had new songs to support them.

I get "new songs" in 2006 but what "new songs" were there in 2010? Songs off a 2 year old album that hadn't been played in Europe before don't count as "new"

Yes he is. I'm one of the crowd paying him to perform for me. I'm certain nobody is paying to see him walk a dog on stage for a couple of hours.

Also the whole "he doesn't owe you anything" argument is so bullshit, I can't even fathom why one woud think that way, unless you're of course an easily brainwashed asskisser. Music comes with emotions, that can go on during your whole life. It's not like a laptop that breaks and you're with or without guarentee.

You really failed miserably at arguing why Axl owes you anything :D.

Here's what I think have happened:

Everybody who has paid money to GN'R has got something in return as part of the deal; money for a record, money for a show, or money for some merchandise. Business transactions closed!

Then we have some people who have invested feelings and emotions into hoping that the band will do more according to their dreams, be it more music, different music, or whatever. And these invested emotions may not have been reimbursed in a reciprocal fashion yet and maybe they never will. What they fail to realize is that no one asked them to become so emotionally invested, no one said that if they did this the band would do so and so, there is no mutual agreement here at all. They have basically squandered their time and feelings and now they are butthurt. Their idea that they have some deal with the band which the band has failed to execute, is just a delusion.

Songs off a 2 year old album that hadn't been played in Europe before don't count as "new"

I think we're talking about "new live songs", and to the European audiences these songs were just that.

I was looking at my official "Chinese Democracy World Tour 2002" T-shirt only yesterday! That actually made me wonder a little bit. Which other band has the same tour for 10 years?????????

Not complaining here, as I always enjoy seing Guns, but I never really thought about that this is actually the same tour for 10 years now! Must be a world record ;)

I was looking at my official "Chinese Democracy World Tour 2002" T-shirt only yesterday! That actually made me wonder a little bit. Which other band has the same tour for 10 years?????????

Not complaining here, as I always enjoy seing Guns, but I never really thought about that this is actually the same tour for 10 years now! Must be a world record ;)

Are you talking about the name of the tour or the content of the tour? If you are talking about the name: I don't think the European tour is named "Chinese Democracy World Tour", and I know the recent US tour wasn't, so you are wrong. If you are talking about content then you should know that the setlists have changed a lot in the time from 2002 till 2012, so again, you would be wrong. In other words, it is not the same tour.

There is also nothing remarkable in having toured for 10 years with only one new record released in this period. Bands/artists are able do that when they have a product (strong back catalogue and great show) that people are willing to pay money for.

I have a feeling that the 06 UK tour, sold more than this this tour though, as I understand you can still buy tickets to the shows, perhaps its the same all through Europe? I don't think they would get away with selling a Euro tour in 6 more years without a new album.

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

You're Crazy

Rocket Queen

Estranged

(Richard Fortus Guitar Solo)

Live and Let Die

This I Love

Used to Love Her

Dead Flowers

(Motivation)

Shackler's Revenge

(Dizzy Reed Piano Solo)

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

(DJ Ashba Guitar Solo)

Sweet Child O' Mine

(Instrumental Jam)

(Axl Rose Piano Solo)

November Rain

(Bumblefoot Guitar Solo)

Don't Cry

Better

Civil War

My Michelle

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Mama Kin

Instrumental Jam

Nightrain

Encore:

(Instrumental Jam)

Madagascar

(Whole Lotta Rosie)

(Instrumental Jam)

Patience

(Instrumental Jam)

Paradise City

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Live and Let Die

Think About You

You Could Be Mine

Sweet Child O' Mine

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Out Ta Get Me

Madagascar

(Buckethead Guitar Solo)

(Axl Rose Piano Solo)

November Rain

Street of Dreams

Patience

Rocket Queen

Nightrain

Encore:

(Robin Finck Guitar Solo)

Paradise City

So, the setlists here we can see the biggest change is 2012 shows are longer... at least in this example. They're fluffed up more with useless solos and covers of covers some with Axl, some without. this allows Axl more breaks to play more songs, which is great if you can sit through instrumental jam #4 and solo #3. By my count EVERY SONG EXCEPT FOR 2 was played from this 2002 set-list in the 2012 set-list. Minus 2 AFD songs think about you and out ta get me replaced seemingly by You're Crazy and My Michelle. The run of Welcome -> It's -> Brownstone remains intact. The placement of November, Paradise, Maddy, Live and Let Die, Patience, and Street of Dreams remains basically in tact. If the 2002 set-list was longer it would pretty much be the same show minus Sorry, This I Love and a couple other CD tracks and covers.

The biggest change on these recent tours is pushing Chi Dem to opener. The opening 3 songs and the closing 3 songs roughly (Patience, Maddy, and Paradise) has been the same for close to ten years until recently.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

So, the setlists here we can see the biggest change is 2012 shows are longer... at least in this example.

You are trying to prove a trend by looking at one chosen example? Haha :) I believe this is what is called cherry-picking. Fact is lots of songs have been played post-2008 which wasn't played pre-2008, and the length of the shows have changed. Hence, the setlists have changed substantially and hence, if one considers two tours to be identical if the content is almost identical, then the 2002 tour is different from the 2012 tour.

Maybe they are doing a Request Tour 2012 - fans go online & request what they want them to play & they collate the information & play accordingly. :thumbsup:

I will give in & say the moustache can stay as long as the jacket, glasses & hat go - Axl has too many good qualities to hide them away under all that gear. Let us see his face for this tour & that lovely smile which lights up his face. We saw more of it last year, some friendly chats to the crowd certainly wouldn't go astray as he must have some funny stories to tell.