The case for Axl Rose being bipolar

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Quotes related to Axl being manic depressive (bipolar) throughout the years:

Axl Rose, (date ?)

http://www.celebrities-with-diseases.com/celebrities/axl-rose-my-mood-swings-have-nothing-to-do-with-bipolar-3389.html

"I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

Lars Ulrich, 2006:

http://rockdirt.com/metallicas-lars-comments-on-axl-rose/10623/

“I haven’t heard from the guy in twelve years, but Axl was two people,” he said. “You were truly left wondering what the fu** was going to happen next. When he was in a good mood, he was the sweetest guy, and when he forgot to take his medicine or decided to go off, he was kind of a freak."

Axl Rose, 2008:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5578

I've not been diagnosed as being bipolar though many misconstrue statements I made earlier as alluding to such and unfortunately there's been an abundance of misguided or unqualified speculation of various events but I definitely can relate to needing my own space.

In my world all bi polar means (and not to offend or make light of those suffering from a genuine condition or involved with those who are) is that someone can try to take cheap uneducated shots or try to claim I'm bipolar thus justifying why they should get paid a financial settlement for whatever nonsense they're up to. Fortunately that hasn't proved successful.

Vicky Hamilton, 2012:

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/27/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-manager-and-consultant-vicky-hamilton-the-art-motley-crue-stryperpoison/

I mean a lot of people who are as super famous as Axl still get performance anxiety, they just learn how to manage it. Axl is a complex character, bi-polar, there’s a lot going on there (laughs).

Notice how in 2008 Axl didn't say that he's not bipolar, but just said that he's never been diagnosed as such, despite the fact that years earlier he admitted to Rolling Stone that he was diagnosed and had received treatment for it.

Now take into consideration that Axl has been going to quack doctors for years and avoiding modern medicine for spiritual medicine.

Bipolar individuals off their meds = a very, very bad thing.

From dealing with manic depressives throughout the years, most go through their manic phases at night. I dated a bipolar girl who compulsively cleaned at night when she was manic, and crashed during the day as a result of being up all night during her manic phase.

Who do we know that stays up all night and sleeps all day on a regular basis?

Marc Cantor ignored my question to him in the other thread as to whether or not Axl tries to hide this condition from the world, probably for the sake of Axl's privacy. But there's other bipolar celebrities out there - most notably Carrie Fisher, and I think Axl coming clean about it would help others with the condition seek help, and also allow people to better understand why Axl operates the way he does.

Axl kind of reminds me of Larry Sweeney, an amazingly talented professional wrestling manager who went off his meds about three years ago and within 6 months ended up homeless. Larry didn't have a support group to contain his nonsensical behavior like Axl does, and his online ramblings were even more incoherent and defensive than Axl's.

About a year ago, Larry Sweeney killed himself out of fear that he would have another depressive phase.

There's nothing to be ashamed about Axl - seek treatment before something bad happens.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting post.

Chinese democracy is full referances to being crazy.

"I know I'm just a classic case"

"I dont give a fuck about them cause I am crazy,oh,my salvation"

to name two.

the lyrics to Prostitute and of course IRS are telling too.

it's telling that Axl first confirms ,then denies he's bipolar.

Edited by stumbleine

Wow, now the Axl detractors are diagnosing mental disorders on the internet and deluding themselves into thinking that if Axl takes prozac, he'll do a reunion. LMFAO

No where did the OP say anything about a reunion.

Not everything is about a reunion, you know.

Wow, now the Axl detractors are diagnosing mental disorders on the internet and deluding themselves into thinking that if Axl takes prozac, he'll do a reunion. LMFAO

.. haters know everything .. :rolleyes: are psychiatrists .. they do online therapy :shrugs:

Exactly. I don't really care if there ever is a reunion(although it would be cool), I would much rather the rest of the material from the Bucket/Finck/Tobias era. But Axl being bi-polar would explain ALOT in terms of the late starts, previous cancelled shows, erratic behavior, numerous delays etc. Just my opinion anyway.

.. haters know everything .. :rolleyes: are psychiatrists .. they do online therapy :shrugs:

Shouldn't you go post on Dexter's profile page some more?

Dude have you even been reading his other posts recently? You may think I was out of left field with my comment, but let me tell you something: he is most definitely a disgruntled, stealth trolling anti-fan who is eternally mad at Axl for a host of bullshit reasons. The same is true of stumbleine, who is another unhappy pseudo-fan who spends all their time criticizing and taking pot shots at Axl.

So on the surface, it appears to be an "innocent" thread aimed at discussing Axl's psychology. But any psych major will tell you that bipoloar doesn't mean what the OP thinks it means (note the hetfield reference in support of his premise). In fact, the "list of evidence" contains other people's misunderstandings and resultant misuses of the word. The actual DSM IV definition of bi polar is recognized legally and medically. So anyway we've got the thread creator, who has repeatedly complained and criticized Axl constantly in threads now wanting to prove that Axl is bi polar. Praytell, WHY is he trying to prove this misbegotten point? Why? I'll tell you why. Because he's stealth trolling. That's why. Read the boards.

I made a joke about the reunion because it's a dagger which strikes right to the core of what the anti-Axl brigade can't admit: There will be no reunion nor reconciliation any time soon, if at all.

I don't think Axl has anything wrong with him, tbh. I just think he can be a little weird, like most people.

Homer: "You know me, sometimes I'll be quirky....Alberquerque....There moving the team to Alberquerque!"

Yes, I felt the need to quote that.

"It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one."

"It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one."

Who is that a quote from?

Axl might be manic depressive, but at least he ain't a textbook case of histrionic + narcissistic personality disorders, like Slash.

How so? I'm not defending Slash, I have only seen a few interviews with him. I do know he talks alot but says very little(ummm, kind of, sort of, etc) but how does he display traits of a narcissistic personality? He always comes off as humble to me, especially in comparison to say Liam or Noel Gallagher or even(to lesser extent) Dave Mustaine.

Who is that a quote from?

+1

People need to stop blaming the things that happened in their childhood for the bad habits in the adult life.

Someday you'll have to grow up and move on!

Here's my problem with bipolar and similar conditions. It's considered a medical condition but you cannot medically prove someone is bipolar.

I think some people's emotions effect them alot more than others, and in axls case, add in alittle OCD,'and that person will display the traits thAt a typical " bipolar" person exhibits, and consequently be labeled that.

It cooukd b just a lack o natural lithium in the body that can be easily resolved.

Some people's highs are higher and there lows are lower. When they are mad and upset they lash out and can be very offensive to some. When they are sad and down on themselves they disaaperar sometimes for years . The minds of people like this obsess over the thoughts in their own mind so much that sometimes their thoughts become a reality becaus they keep repeating certain things in their mind............

Hear the words of Scraped.......

I am Bi-polar with OCD, general anxiety disorder, Post Traumatic Stress syndrome from watching my mom and myself beat by my dad who was a drunk.

I am not a person that could diagnose anyone but you can look at people and what they do and say yep that sure looks and/or sounds very similar to what I go through.

I see a lot of what I go through in Axl, but does that mean has any mental illness??? NO!! But it could be interpreted that he does by his actions.

I drank a lot as a teen to try and find relief which didn't work and I have not touched it but one or 2 times in the past 20 years.

I felt responsible for what my dad did to my mom, I was the oldest I should have done something, when in all reality there was nothing I could do. I carry this guilt to this day.

I remember just about everything that has happened to me that was bad or made just feel like a lesser person. I have people from my youth that I would love to kick the shit out of them for something that happened in JR. High I relive things that happened 25 years ago and emotional I am there and going through it and I try to tell myself it happened 25 years ago let it go but it just isn't that easy.

My mental illness basically rules my life, I do things on my terms most of the time and will at times try to push myself to be at a family get together only at times having to leave and crying my eyes out because I don't understand how to fix whats wrong and I want to be apart of those things but usually after something like that happens I go into hiding and people I might see everyday, I may not see for weeks, everything turns inward and I just fucking fall apart.

Or I can go from being in a great mood to being just totally pissed in a matter of a second for not reason and can go back to happy just as fast.

The meds help but they can only do so much and I get pissed if they aren't working and quit taking them and that is when all hell brakes loose until I decide to start taking it again. This is normal for people with mental illness to say fuck the meds they ain't working. Only to fall off the deep end and say what where you thinking.

I also find it strange that I can post in depth about my mental illness on a forum but I would never do this in person to anyone because I think only a select few know what I am going through, I want to keep it hide in my everyday life in dealing with people.

If you where to ask me if Axl has a mental illness of some kind and using my experiences and comparing them to his PUBLIC actions...... I would have to say yes he does.

But to get a clear picture you have to know how they are in there private life.

I am diagnosed bipolar but I don't agree with the diagnoses, and meds that come with that. They never did anything to me. Also, I haven't had any ups or downs in 4 or 5 years. I think , for me, it is situational, not biological.

I mean, it is they environment around me and the way that makes me feel tht deter is whether I'm on top of the world or stuck to the bed. The highs and lows are not from a lack or overload of seretonin, they are a direct result o my mood. Other people's case may be more extreme or different but that is how I feel about my situation. Bipolar diagnosis is thrown around like no tomorrow for profits within the medical industry and control.

Again Im not taking away from anyone else's diagnosis , I am only speaking about mine.

I totally agree with the previous poster who told his story and also thank him for giving his perspective on such a sensitive subject.

I think Axl Rose defenatley exhibits classic symptoms of bipolar, but for me , theres so much if a grey area that it's hard to discuss in absolutes. But im glad if that medicine they pedal works for some people, it just didn't work for me , or according to himself , Axl, for that matter.

It's way to complex to even discuss really, without knowing him personally and how high or low he gets. I just dint like the labels.

Stephen Fryis bipolar. He was saying how he preferred to live with it than take meds. the highs were helpful creatively . But he said the down side was he had 17 personal computers and the garage is full of mountain bikes.