The case for Axl Rose being bipolar

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Okay, first of all if someone is bi-polar, they are not CRAZY. It is a mental disorder where the lithium levels are too low or too high.

My mother was bi-polar and was on lithium for years. There were a few times she went off the medication and the highs she experienced were terrible. She would be quick tempered and start fights for no apparent reason.

Before there was an illness called manic depression or bi-polar, my mother was depressed for most of her life. She would be hospitalized and put on anti-depressants which would help awhile. Once she was in her 50's and went into menopause that's when the highs came. Without her lithium she was uncontrollable. It was just like walking on eggs because she would refuse to take her meds and make everyone's life a livening hell because you were waiting for bad news. Luckily, she had a wonderful therapist who would get through to her.

A lot of bi-polar patients feel that after awhile they can control their emotions without medication because it does control those highs and lows, but it never ends well for them. The lucky ones stay on their meds and live a normal life, but the ones who don't, well it's not good.

If Axl is bi-polar I do hope he has excellent care and does have meds to control those highs and lows. It could also be the reason Axl's not doing new music because sometimes it can mess with your creative side. Most patients learn to deal with their symptoms and live full lives.

But I do agree with Axl in saying it seems a lot of doctors are quick to diagnosis of someone being bi-polar if they have mood swings.

There is an easy blood test to take which would confirm either way, so I'm sure Axl has been tested and if he is bi-polar, hopefully he's on medicine that help him. From the 2 times I've seen him on stage he seems happy and well adjusted and performs with confidence and lots of energy.

I think the most important with any mental illness is to find a good doctor to help you. Then everything falls into place.

Bi-polar mental illness can run in families too, so we have been tested for it. So far no one has the symptoms, but at least there are ways to deal with it. I'm just glad that my mother was finally diagnosed with the right illness and put on the right medication. That's all anyone can ask for.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic