Recording timeline of Spaghetti Incident

_HelloBeatle_

Does anyone know the time frame the songs were recorded in?

I know a good 1/2 were recorded during the UYI sessions, but which ones? I know some exist on UYI demo bootlegs.

I also know that Since I Don't Have You was recorded in Boston in 1993, You Can't Put Your Arms... was recorded by Duff in late 92/early 93 for his solo album, and Look At Your Game was in 1993 too.

I remember when they came through Boston in "93" Axl said something on stage about them releasing a CD of covers after the tour,

because he made a promise to Duff that they would.

But not to expect much. he sounded like he was jumping on Duff when he said it.

Shortly thereafter sure enough this thrown together mix hit the shelves.

The Manson song is pretty good though.

Edited by shades

I remember when they came through Boston in "93" Axl said something on stage about them releasing a CD of covers after the tour,

because he made a promise to Duff that they would.

But not to expect much. he sounded like he was jumping on Duff when he said it.

Shortly thereafter sure enough this thrown together mix hit the shelves.

The Manson song is pretty good though.

He also mentions it on the Tokyo 1992 DVD, just before 'Attitude'.

• 4 weeks later...

Hair Of The Dog (Album Version) was played (not live) in Berlin 1992 before the concerts starts. Hair Of The Dog sounds like already finished just like the Album Version.

Edited by t-p-d-a

Black Leather, Attitude, I Don't Care About You and New Rose were all recorded in instrumental form in 1990. There are instrumental demos of them with Izzy on rhythm guitar dating from a September 1990 recording session (which also includes instrumental demos of Estranged, Locomotive, The Garden, as well as a different version of 14 Years that has vocals but slightly different lyrics). It is unknown when the vocals for songs were done.

Recording of the UYIs began in the Fall of 1990, with the exception of course of Civil War and Knockin' on Heaven's Door (released in April and July 1990 respectively), mostly recorded in 1991. A couple other TSI songs were probably also recorded in 1991 and Slash said that recording the TSI songs made recording the UYI songs much less stressful--Which says to me that a lot of the songs were recorded alongside the UYIs. But the rest of them were not recorded until 1992, because it wasn't decide until 1993 that the cover album was going to be a full album. Up till 1992, they wanted to release cover songs but it was just going to be an EP.

The UYIs were finished being recorded in July 1991. Axl announced the exact date that recording was completed at a concert, I forget where though. I read somewhere that Since I Don't Have You was recorded in March 1993. And also I believe Look At Your Game, Girl was recorded at Axl's house sometime after the UYI tour ended--So sometime between July 1993 and November 23rd 1993 (when TSI was released). The guy playing guitar on Look At Your Game, Girl was Axl's gardener.

Gilby: "It wasn't like we went to make an album, we did it as different things. they had seven songs already recorded, then I went in and re-did all Izzy's guitars or put on guitars where he didn't play on them. While we were on the road, we'd go and record a couple more songs here and there. (...) We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then. It was cool."

Edited by Indigo Miser

• 2 weeks later...

Ain´t It Fun was also recorded during the Illusions sessions. Michael Monroe said that they did Bad Obsession and Ain´t It Fun at the same time with him. I´m also interested that is there an instrumental demo of Hanoi Rocks´ "Beer and Cigarette" somewhere which was intended for the Spaghetti Incident? I have heard that Guns recorded it, but they didn`t put it on TSI, because Hanoi´s Andy McCoy wanted too much money for using it.

Ain´t It Fun was also recorded during the Illusions sessions. Michael Monroe said that they did Bad Obsession and Ain´t It Fun at the same time with him. I´m also interested that is there an instrumental demo of Hanoi Rocks´ "Beer and Cigarette" somewhere which was intended for the Spaghetti Incident? I have heard that Guns recorded it, but they didn`t put it on TSI, because Hanoi´s Andy McCoy wanted too much money for using it.

Gilby said when he joined the band in November 1991, the band had 7 cover songs recorded. I'm guessing this would include:

Black Leather, Attitude, I Don't Care About You, Ain't It Fun and New Rose. I would imagine the other two songs were probably Jumpin' Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel.

The rest of the songs were done in a span throughout late 1991, 1992 and early 1993. I know one of the songs on there was culled from Duff's solo album and so was probably recorded in '93 as well.

Edited by Indigo Miser